SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_pichulo

Training a dog with an electronic collar

KennsWoods
3 years ago

I've got a 6 month old lab puppy. He weighs 65 pounds and is exuberant to say the least. He's also intelligent and a fast learner. He potty and crate trained in a week, and knows the commands 'sit' and 'come'. He's also velcro and loathes to be away from me if we are both home. He has no problems being in his crate when I can't take him with me. I have a fenced back yard where I encourage him to stay for fresh air and exorcise but after he relieves himself he's ready to come in and be with me.

Many years ago I obedience trained a lab pup the old fashioned way with a choke collar. I know that feelings run high vis a vis choke collars and electronic collars. My son gifted me with 4 at home lessons with electronic collar. I've had one lesson, the second is today. The training methodology seems 180 degrees from the 'old' obedience I knew and successfully completed with my first pup. I had even started on silent hand signals only training but didn't finish. My dog and I are struggling and so far (one week) it is not enjoyable for either of us, as my first experience was.

Has anyone trained a dog using an electronic collar?

Comments (20)