This looks promising, Lysol

eld6161

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjerin

Too bad it's unavailable. At least, I've never seen it or its cousins in the stores these past months. And forget about amazon.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by eld6161
chloebud

I started seeing it on some shelves again. I'm sure this news from the EPA isn't going to help.

Save     Thanked by eld6161
Fun2BHere

I've been trying to buy Lysol products for months with no success. I've always used the dual cleaning wipes for the bathrooms and I'm so disappointed to be unable to replenish my supply. In fact, some sites show the product to be discontinued which, if true, will really be disappointing to me.

Save    
ci_lantro

Make your own. It's nothing more than a quaternary disinfectant plus alcohol plus water. Much cheaper; a gallon of quats will last you a lifetime.

Save    
jakkom

The important point to remember is the 2 minute wait time. Which is pretty long for many people to wait, actually. There's a tendency to "spritz and use", LOL.

2 Likes Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I have resorted to other similar products because lysol has not been available anywhere in the area for months. I just have always liked lysol products. I have been using Odorban for years which kills lots of stuff. It was what was recommended and used for cleaning up after the floods.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Don't forget that a proper dilution of fresh bleach in water is also very effective. Bleach is now more easily available in my area than it was a few months ago (while the "disinfectants" remain MIA) and hopefully in others too.

Remember when doing a bleach solution to be careful, wear eye protection from splashes, and add bleach to water rather than the other way around. And wear gloves when using it (All of the above was advice from a chemistry professor ages ago).

Save    
pudgeder

Using bleach water to clean may kill the virus, but if you're wanting to spray your furniture, it's not smart.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"if you're wanting to spray your furniture"

I'm not sure what furniture you like to spray. If you're talking about wooden furniture, sure, but I don't think I'd wipe most furniture with any kind of disinfectant. Certainly not Lysol, unless I'm missing something.

1 Like Save    
matthias_lang

We still have a little spray Lysol leftover a flood event. I know there is more than one kind of spray Lysol, or at least there used to be. I also have some of the old fashioned liquid Lysol in a small brown bottle. Will look it up (again) to see if its ingredients are now tested against coronavirus.

I strongly dislike the long lingering smell of every Lysol I've encountered, but will use it if it seems the wise thing to do. I've been using isopropyl alcohol, bleach solutions, soap and water hand washing, and just plain detergent washes for corona related concerns.

1 Like Save    
olychick

I never buy this kind of stuff, but have been wanting some since covid, just because it's sometimes too messy with bleach and worrying about getting it on my clothes, etc. I was at the grocery store last week and cruised the cleaning aisle to see if there were any kind of wipes on the shelves and there was a brand new case of this Lysol product. I hadn't heard anything about it and saw that it killed viruses, but wasn't sure about covid. I put 2 in my cart then noticed it was scented so put one back, not wanting to have 2 cans of stuff I couldn't bear the smell of. When I got home I looked it up and found it was certified against covid so was happy and the scent isn't bad, plus it dissipates quickly.

Then I saw this thread - total coincidence that it was the product I found.

2 Likes Save    
woodrose

I use the lemon-scented liquid Lysol in a spray bottle. It has a nice scent that doesn't linger very long. I'm very sensitive to scent and my DH has severe breathing problems, so I wouldn't use if it had too harsh of an scent and lingered.

Save    
jupidupi

I don't like scented stuff either, although lemon is usually pretty benign. Up until Covid, I mostly cleaned surfaces with a vinegar and water spray, and glass with alcohol and water--partly because I don't want to mess with harsh chemicals, and partly out of general cheapness. I've also heard that just washing countertops with soap and water is effective because it destroys Corona's oily surface. But I have a full can of Lysol! I found it in the back of the closet, where it's been for years. I hope it's still good.

Save    
olychick

jupidupi, check your lysol against the Epa list to see if it's effective against coronavirus. The way I was reading the article above was that this is the first Lysol product to be approved against covid19.

Save    
jupidupi

That's a good idea. I was surprised to come across it. I only found it because I was deep cleaning a closet. I was thinking that I wanted some disinfectant wipes, so was pleased when a friend told me that she could get some. It was kind of disappointing when she brought me some baby wipes. Although she's the same person who told me she's keeping healthy drinking a special tea made with ginger and pine bark. Who knows -- maybe it works? Can't be worse than hydroxychloroquine.

2 Likes Save    
always1stepbehind

Since I had a hard time finding hand wipes like Wet Wipes, I use baby wipes and a little spray bottle filled with alcohol to keep in my car. It's better than nothing and works till I can wash my hands properly with soap and water.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Tech New TV Remote Controls Promise to Do More — Without the Struggle
Dim your lights, set up user profiles and discover a remote you can't lose. Welcome to the latest and greatest way to change the channel
Full Story
Lawn Alternatives Try Adaptable, Shade-Tolerant Sedges for a Grasslike Look
These native ground covers from around the U.S. thrive in shady areas where lawns suffer — and you don’t have to mow them
Full Story
For Pros Maison & Objet Looks to U.S. for Rising Talent Award Winners
Glass tables that mimic packing crates and floral-inspired chandeliers are among the pieces by these emerging talents
Full Story
With over 25,000 man-hours of time spent in the field, Keda specializes in turning mundane property into a warm,... Read More
We strive daily to continually make ourselves better, because we realize that our name, image and performance is... Read More