Living in the USA is the ultimate Place of Privilege

adoptedbyhounds

A grateful immigrant has a message for folks who believe the United States is so irredeemable, it must be torn down. He notes that much of what we take for granted in our lives would be seen as having "privilege" in other parts of the world. It's an interesting list.

To those who hate this country, look at all the people who want to come here and become U.S. citizens. This nation is imperfect, but it is still a great country — many would contend it’s the greatest. If America is not a good fit for anyone because it is so horrible, they can leave it and go to another country. No one is stopping them from renouncing their U.S. citizenship and making room for somebody who wants to be here.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/06/you-know-whats-the-ultimate-place-of-privilege-living-in-the-usa/

SaveComment97Like4
Comments (97)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stars Inthesky

Making room for who? Loser trump only wants certain types of immigrants.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

lol

ABH, you are pretending 60% of Americans don't exist.

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

folks who believe the United States is so irredeemable, it must be torn down.

Link?

This is one of the favorite fallacies of extremists, and many public
debates on political and moral issues are polarized by those who use it
to try to force others to the extremes.

13 Likes Save    
foodonastump

they can leave it and go to another country

I looked into it. Not so easy, in countries worth going to. For some reason they don’t feel the need to accept anyone and everyone.

6 Likes Save    
Sue 430

Just stop. So tired of conservatives insisting that I hate this country. You can disagree with my beliefs and still accept that I care about the country. I want to continually work to make this country a better place because I do love it and believe that it is worth the effort! Living in another country for awhile not only taught me what was great about the U.S, but also areas that need to be improved on. Stop with the hate. Oh and btw, guess what? I also believe in the constitution, despite conservative claims that they are the only ones who do.

31 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

PS: I do often think about my good fortune in having ancestors who came here 100 years ago. And, I do live a privileged life. And am using my privilege to help others have those proverbial boot straps within their reach.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by adoptedbyhounds
daisychain01

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the overly privileged. Good point.

1 Like Save    
sheesh(5b)

No amount of conservative baloney will ever make true patriots believe we hate our country. The pathetic lengths they go to, lies they tell, are only to make themselves feel better. Their panic and prejudice is apparent.

Thank goodness for the constitution, immigrants, the right to vote.

12 Likes Save    
Iris GW

To those who hate this country

Who is that?

2 Likes Save    
3 Likes Save     Thanked by adoptedbyhounds
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

If this was truly written by an immigrant I am deeply sorry for him/her.

Someone has convinced him/her that more than half the population hates their nation and wants it torn down.

Who could do such a thing?

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

She is not me.

Save    
Stars Inthesky

Those who hate this country would include the traitor in chief, trump looked the other way while putin paid to have our military killed

15 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Who is tearing down the country? In what ways? Are you referring to pulling down unacceptable statues? How in the world could pulling down a statue tear down a whole country?

I don't think the OP makes much sense. I think Americans live in a wonderful country (so do some people from other countries). It is only the political/religious right-wingers who carry on about some forthcoming apocalypse destroying America. The rest of us keep moving forward, convinced we have a good future ahead of us if we all pitch in and contribute to it.

Kate

9 Likes Save    
Lulu Smith

You are wrong.

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

So mrskjun, you are in favor of keeping

the "whole system of oppression," which includes the economy and
politics.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/07/07/rep_ilhan_omar_calls_for_dismantling_the_us_economy_political_system.html

2 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

A lot of people who hate the country have left but I think most of the traffic went the other way. The notion that here was a place to create a new and better world is appealing but it is an ongoing creation and ‘better’ an ongoing concept. The countries people left behind are divided countries but here was a place where their voice would be heard, any change in this dynamic must be resisted.

1 Like Save     Thanked by adoptedbyhounds
dublinbay z6 (KS)

mrsk, if the "squad" upsets you so much, perhaps quit listening to them. They are not spokespeople for the Democrats/liberals, so why do you pretend they are? You are empowering them by attributing so much influence to them.

I almost never listen to them (I don't even know why you call them "the squad")--because they have little to say that matters in the larger scheme of things. On the other hand, they have as much right to freedom of expression as you or I do.

Kate

13 Likes Save    
foodonastump

(I don't even know why you call them "the squad")

Self-named, widely used.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

foodonastump

they can leave it and go to another country

I looked into it. Not so easy, in countries worth going to. For some reason they don’t feel the need to accept anyone and everyone.

Absolutely well said, Food. Hence the need for this:

This country has disparities that still need to be addressed, but they are complex, just as complex as the history behind it all. A real, meaningful solution will be equally complex.

We must work together, not by marginalizing or denigrating those with a different point of view. In putting down and belittling the voices of other people, we miss out on the opportunity to talk to one another — and we may very well inadvertently silence those who would have stood shoulder-to-shoulder with us to effect change.

In the end, this is still our country. Despite all its imperfections, America is still the shining beacon of hope for all mankind. Just ask anyone who wants to come here.

We can make it better — not through name-calling, not through riots, not through violence, not through erasing history. But together.

barncatz

The photo is from 2018 and I remember the term got flogged endlessly, including by them, as here. I may well be wrong but my impression is that the four have been going down their separate paths lately?

1 Like Save    
Sue 430

mrsk, if the "squad" upsets you so much, perhaps quit listening to them. They are not spokespeople for the Democrats/liberals, so why do you pretend they are? You are empowering them by attributing so much influence to them.

Kate is right. "the squad" are basically no one. Freshman congress people who haven't yet learned how to get along with others and temper their speech so that people won't automatically hate everything they say. They actually have some decent ideas, but they don' t express themselves in the best manner (kind of like Trump, but not quite as bad) All of the power they have was handed to them not by the democrats, but by the right wingers who decided to hate them and keep talking about them. You made them a little full of themselves. If you just ignore them, they would tone down, I'm sure. Learn a lesson from Nancy Pelosi who handles them pretty well.

9 Likes Save    
barncatz

We can make it better — not through name-calling, not through riots, not through violence, not through erasing history. But together.

Some of us think calling protests "riots" IS name-calling.

ETA: totally agree about the importance of not erasing history. For all the Americans who said " Whites destroyed and firebombed a Black neighborhood in Tulsa and killed its residents?" and "Texas didn't let its slaves go until 1865, when Union troops did so"?, we're on it!

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

If you go to McCarthy's tweet, you can see the video for yourself as to what she actually said. The GOP lies. The party of Hate.

5 Likes Save    
foodonastump

The photo is from 2018 and I remember the term got flogged endlessly, including by them, as here. I may well be wrong but my impression is that the four have been going down their separate paths lately?

Here’s something more current. Seems they like the term and are working together.

3 Likes Save    

I don’t see how a collaborative team started by a few people is worth so much discussion.

So they like working together. Great!

So they have embraced a cutesy handle (I’m not entirely sure they came up with that name). Kind of reminds me of my 9 year old and his “Dudes” but okay.

Their right and ability to do so reinforce the “greatness” of America, they don’t erode it!

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

We must work together, not by marginalizing or denigrating those with a different point of view. In putting down and belittling the voices of other people, we miss out on the opportunity to talk to one another — and we may very well inadvertently silence those who would have stood shoulder-to-shoulder with us to effect change.

Together. Yes. For some reason that’s a tough ask. We can’t even seem to work together peacefully to fight a common threat. But it’s a worthwhile goal. And, incidentally (and admittedly somewhat off topic), why I will be voting for someone who I know will at least try. As opposed to someone who hasn’t tried once over the past nearly four years.

4 Likes Save    
Toby

We must work together, not by marginalizing or denigrating those with a different point of view.

Are we forgetting what happened to those Republicans who wanted to work across the aisle? People like Jeff Flake? The Tea Party ran them right out of Congress.

He says put-downs and belittlement prevent working together for change. Did he vote for Trump, who never once gave an inch to Democrats, and who keeps on being divisive because he knows how much the base loves him for it?

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Omar marries her brother to get him over here to this great country, then proceeds to spew her hatred and disdain for it, wanting to make it over in her idea of a country and her perverted lack of values. She immigrated at a young age and instead of being grateful, became critical of the welcoming country.

Some nerve, and we are getting exactly what we deserved letting her in and electing her.

Thanks Bill Clinton and the citizens of Minnesota for this loud mouthed, crude scourge to liberty and freedom.

7 Likes Save    
mudhouse

So they have embraced a cutesy handle (I’m not entirely sure they came up with that name).

It's well documented they came up with the name themselves. AOC takes credit for it. Here's just one article; there are others I've posted here before on how they got their name: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-squad-how-aoc-ilhan-omar-ayanna-pressley-rashida-tlaib-got-their-nickname/

1 Like Save    

Ok. That was a parenthetical thought because it’s not the salient point of my comment.

My points were: why devote so much time to discussing them? And why try to use it as evidence that there’s something wrong with the American political system?

Save    
dandyfopp

Speaking of hating on America, candidate and POTUS Donnie.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

I can't think of anything more weird than having a fixation on Omar. It'd be like me having a fixation on an oddball GOP Congressman. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Louie Gohmert. Or maybe Trey Gowdy. Or Matt Gaetz. Heck, there's just too many to choose from.

6 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

My first thought was Gohmert. Now there is an idiot.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

Where are these three getting all the press time that keeps them in the fore front of so many Trump supporters thoughts? I am a news and political junkie and I literally have not heard a word from them , with the exception of AOC on occasion, in months and months.

3 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

I recommend Glenn Grothman as the current worst GOP rep.
ETA: But the competition is stiff this season.

His latest missive: Wisconsin Rep. Grothman says people 'racialize the issue' of police killings to 'make white people feel guilty and not like America'

" [Grothmann] voted against harmless acknowledgements of Juneteenth and Kwaanza resolutions in the state legislature. He went to war with me in the state Senate over a traffic sign I had installed through the budget process directing people to America’s Black Holocaust Museum. He demanded budget after budget that expenditures be made to remove it. He voted against naming a post office after Maya Angelou in Congress." - Rep. Gwen Moore of Milwaukee

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

'folks who believe the United States is so irredeemable, it must be torn down.'

When he phrased it as draining the swamp, you cheered for the dismantling of our government. Glad to see your change of heart.

12 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Where are these three getting all the press time that keeps them in the fore front of so many Trump supporters thoughts?

The only source I hear talking about the squad is on Fox's triple play idiot evening line up from 8-11pm every weeknight. I'm sure that on weekends with Greg Gutfield, The Five, and other goofy fox shows pick up the slack, although those shows are hard to stomach so I can only take so much before the dry heaves set in.

ps...no doubt that Limbaugh does his best too.

Save    
HU-274840647

From what I have read here there seems to be a severe misunderstanding of what AOC, Omar, Talib and Pressley are all about but from the crude character attacks it is evident they disturb the status quo who are doing very with things just the way they are

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

The old RW “love it or leave it” nonsense. Why didn’t they leave when life was so unbearable for them under Obama?

My husband grew up in a third world country, and yes, he loves America. But he despises trump and what he has done/is doing to the country. Dems do not want to destroy the country, just save it from the clutches of trump and and his sycophant republicans before it is too late. We’ve already lost so much in four years, the country can’t afford four more years of this chaotic and incompetent “leadership.”

10 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

This country was created by men. It is an idea, a concept and can be changed at any time. It has been changed over the years. It is still here. That it isn't perfect shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Heck, when it was first put together more than half the population of adults weren't allowed to vote which for a country based on the premise of representation is a glaring oversight. We enslaved and/or suppressed that same segment of population. Things changed for the better. We have improved. Lets have faith that future improvements will happen. That is not tearing down the country.

8 Likes Save    
Sue 430

Thanks Bill Clinton and the citizens of Minnesota for this loud mouthed, crude scourge to liberty and freedom.

That’s rich coming from someone who loves trump

6 Likes Save    
elvis

The only source I hear talking about the squad is on Fox's triple play ...

So you didn't see Food's post above: CNN.

Save    
Lulu Smith

that's wrong

Save    
elvis

Nana H

Where are these three getting all the press time that keeps them in the fore front of so many Trump supporters thoughts? I am a news and political junkie and I literally have not heard a word from them , with the exception of AOC on occasion, in months and months.

Actually, there are four, not three.

If you haven't heard anything about them in months, you're not listening.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I listen and I havent but maybe I dont notice when one of them makes a statement or does an interview. I am not fixated.

As to the OP I was thinking, I have lived in two other countries and have extensively visited some others and I cant agree that the US is in some way unique as a perfected country. I would have no issues with living in Canada for instance. I havent noticed any lack of privilege there.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Elvis, apparently, not listening to what you' re listening to which is not surprising.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

They do seem to get more press on Fox.

3 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

Trump is the one destroying the institutions that protect Americans and our way of life. It was the plan all along.

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

I haven’t heard anything about AOC et al in months either. Clearly, it’s just the trumpers who have, so what does that tell you? They are just being used as a red meat toss for the base.

Save    
foodonastump

I haven’t heard anything about AOC et al in months either.

Let me catch you up. Unfortunately she won her primary by a landslide.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

That is unfotunate.

Save    
jmm1837

Back to the topic:

" This nation is imperfect, but it is still a great country — many would contend it’s the greatest. If America is not a good fit for anyone because it is so horrible, they can leave it and go to another country."

It's the old " love it or leave it" argument based on the notion that those are the only two positions one can have. Personally, I have always regarded it as a fundamental duty of governments and citizens to make the country better (and that applies to any country, not just the US). Should those who wanted to abolish slavery or give women the vote have been told to leave the country? Or should they be remembered as people who helped shape it?

16 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

FYI: AOC is working on a climate initiative with Biden and Sanders and Omar is tackling oppression, particularly regarding women’s rights. Tlaib is trying to draw attention to the invisible people of Palestine.

Save    
Iris GW

Should those who wanted to abolish slavery or give women the vote have been told to leave the country? Or should they be remembered as people who helped shape it?

Well said, jmm1837

6 Likes Save    
Lulu Smith

"While human beings may look to the simplicity, unity, or independence of nature as, loosely speaking, a model for their own personal and political lives, the more
fundamental meaning of the understanding of nature presented in the Second Discourse is that nature has left us to our own devices.

However much human beings may flourish once they have left the state of nature,
that flourishing cannot be properly called natural. Perhaps it would be better not to speak of flourishing at all, inasmuch as that may imply a natural direction of growth."

http://assets.cambridge.org/97805211/74220/excerpt/9780521174220_excerpt.pdf

Save    
barncatz

Thanks, foas - by gosh, there they are!

What's that term for when babies think people stop existing when they drop out of their view, lol? Oh, yeah, object permanence. I lack Squad object permanence.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"The old RW “love it or leave it” nonsense. Why didn’t they leave when life was so unbearable for them under Obama?"

Because under our system, Americans get a chance every four years to choose their president. There's only one winner at a time. We don't pack up and leave when we lose. We stick around, and try to run a better campaign the next time.

For 2016, Dems and the FBI tried a darker, deceptive approach. They attempted to make Donald Trump unelectable. In a series of dirty tricks, the FBI lied to the FISA Court, launched a counter intelligence probe without probable cause, repeatedly leaked information from the unverified "Steele dossier" (AKA Democrat owned political opposition research paid for by team Hillary) and confidently expected to "win" with no one ever learning how they had tried to pick our president for us.

Dems had no intention of "allowing" Donald Trump to win the White House. They got cocky, and then they got caught. Thank heaven for AG Barr and upcoming revelations about the "genesis" of the Trump/Russia probe.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

I don't recall anyone saying they would leave the country when Obama was elected.

Who said that?

2 Likes Save     Thanked by adoptedbyhounds
elvis

Nobody I heard about. A lot of people said they'd leave when/if Trump was elected, though. I don't believe they followed through, not that I heard about, anyway.

tryingtounderstand

^^ A record number of Americans want to leave the United States, according to anew Gallup poll.

The number of Americans who want to flee the country has hit a new high, at 16 per cent, amid Donald Trump‘s presidency.

READ MORE: About 2,000 more Americans than normal have moved to Canada since Trump’s election

That’s higher than the average number of Americans who wanted to leave the country permanently under former presidents George W. Bush (11 per cent) and Barack Obama (10 per cent). https://globalnews.ca/news/4822460/americans-move-to-canada-poll/

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Wait a minute. One would think that the "ultimate Place of Privilege" would, at minimum, provide universal health care.

8 Likes Save    
Marigold

"Nobody I heard about. A lot of people said they'd leave when/if Trump
was elected, though. I don't believe they followed through, not that I
heard about, anyway."

Actually, the couple directly across the street from us immigrated to Canada under the Investor Program in 2017, as a result of Trump being elected. I am not sure how common it is, though, and realize that is only anecdotal evidence.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by adoptedbyhounds
Stan Areted

Good riddance!

Here's a list of people who said they would leave this country if Donald Trump became President Donald Trump.

To my knowledge, none of them have.

Can anyone name even one who has?

So they're just loud mouthed liars without the courage of their convictions.

Most of them are not notable.

Chelsea Handler (? who--washed up talk show host?)

"I did buy a house in another country just in case, so all of these people that threaten to leave the country and then don't, I will leave the country," she said on Live with Kelly and Michael.

Neve Campbell

Where would she move? Canada.

"His honesty is terrifying," she told Huffington Post UK.

4. Barry Diller

Where would he move? Unspecified.

"If Donald Trump doesn't fall, I'll either move out of the country or join the resistance," he told Bloomberg.

5. Lena Dunham

Where would she move? Vancouver.

"I know a lot of people have been threatening to do this, but I really will," she said at the Matrix Awards.

6. Keegan-Michael Key

Where would he move? Canada.

"It's easy. It's like 10 minutes from Detroit and that's where I'm from," he told TMZ.

7. Chloë Sevigny

Where would she move? Nova Scotia.

She answered simply, "Nova Scotia" to a question of where she would move if Trump were elected.

8. Al Sharpton

Where would he move? Out of here.

"If Donald Trump is the nominee, I'm open to support anyone, while I'm also reserving my ticket out of here if he wins," he said at a press conference.

9. Natasha Lyonne

Where would she move? A mental hospital.

"[I'll move] to a mental hospital for a while because you're like 'why is this happening?'" she said.

10. Eddie Griffin

Where would he move? Africa.

"He's good at making money, but he's ignorant...If Trump wins, I'm moving to Africa," he told DJ Vlad.

11. Spike Lee

Who? Director of Malcolm X.

Where would he move? ...Brooklyn.

If Trump wins, he'll be "moving back to the republic of Brooklyn, New York," he reported to Vanity Fair.

12. Amber Rose

Where would she move? Unspecified.

"I can't even think about it! I'm moving, I'm out! I can't. And I am taking my son with me!" she told US Weekly.

13. Samuel L. Jackson

Where would he move? South Africa.

"He's just running for popularity. C'mon, just let it go," he said on The View.

14. Cher

Where would she move? Jupiter

"IF HE WERE TO BE ELECTED, IM MOVING TO JUPITER >:|" she tweeted.

15. George Lopez

Where would he move? Mexico.

"If he wins, he won't have to worry about immigration, we'll all go back," he told TMZ.

16. Barbra Streisand

Where would she move? Australia or Canada.

"He has no facts. I don't know, I can't believe it. I'm either coming to your country [Australia], if you'll let me in, or Canada," she told Australian journalist Michael Usher.

17. Raven-Symoné

Where would she move? Canada.

"My confession for this election is if any Republican gets nominated, I'm going to move to Canada with my entire family. I already have my ticket," she said on The View.

Note: Her leaving was contingent on any Republican candidate winning the election--not just Trump.

18. Whoopi Goldberg

"I don't want it to be America. Maybe it's time for me to move, you know," she said.

19. Omari Hardwick

Where would he move? Italy.

"I'll move from Denver to Italy... If Donald Trump wins the presidency, I'm out," he told The Wrap.

20. Miley Cyrus

"My heart is broken into a 100000 pieces...I am moving if this is my president! I don't say things I don't mean!" she wrote in an Instagram post.

21. Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Where would she move? New Zealand.

"I can't imagine what the country would be with Donald Trump as our president... Now it's time for us to move to New Zealand," she told The New York Times.

Note: Ginsburg should recuse herself from any case remotely involving our president based on this statement

22. Amy Schumer

Where would she move? Spain.

"I will need to learn to speak Spanish because I will move to Spain or somewhere... It's beyond my comprehension if Trump won. It's too crazy," she told BBC Newsnight.

Source Townhall Nov 2016 Ed. brevity/post

Save     Thanked by adoptedbyhounds
Stan Areted

SO, where's the list of people that said they would move if Barack Obama became president, and did not move?

heri_cles

Omar marries her brother to get over here to this great country, then proceeds to spew her hatred...

I thought you were talking about Malania laying down for Trump and then accusing President Obama of not being a legitimate President.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

One track mind, still, I see.

Save    
Iris GW

Omar marries her brother to get over here to this great country, then proceeds to spew her hatred...

Speaking of one track mind?

4 Likes Save    
Lulu Smith

I love this discord. It makes an otherwise dull Thursday interesting. Nothing changes: neither minds nor actions are affected here. Everyone's beliefs are reinforced and they feel validated.

On another thread, the answer to everything has been posted and the poster declared that the debates are over. So simple.

Save    
mudhouse

The OP's sentence was, "To those who hate this country, look at the people who want to come here and be US citizens..."

And people in the thread have asked, who hates this country?

I thought of that question when I saw this article this morning. In Washingtonville, NY, Vandals cut down a flag pole at a memorial for five local firefighters that perished in 9/11.
https://www.recordonline.com/story/news/local/2020/07/08/vandals-cut-down-flagpole-9-11-memorial-washingtonville/5399647002/

There were no cameras; nobody knows who the vandals were. Another article says the vandals scrawled "let her die" on the monument, after snarling the flag around the downed flagpole. And I know some will dismiss this as a random act of vandalism, not connected to anyone or any current events.

But I don't, and I'm guessing the local residents don't, who have volunteered to stand guard at night over the monument until cameras can be installed, because now they know the monument that honors the lives of men who died saving others is no longer safe.

When I think of the question, "who hates this country?" I don't have to have arrests completed and the identities outed to know that there are those who do hate this country, who hate what it stands for, who hate the symbols of sacrifice and community pride.

We can (and will) argue into the future about who the perpetrators are, but let's stop pretending that nobody hates this country. They exist, and they have been emboldened by the acts of recent months to destroy anything they can.

That's a fact, and I think the OP is trying to point out that many people who immigrated here treasure the freedom and opportunity America represents, and he can't understand why anyone would take it for granted.

Neither can I.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by adoptedbyhounds
Iris GW

That's a fact, and I think the OP is trying to point out that many people who immigrated here treasure the freedom and opportunity America represents, and he can't understand why anyone would take it for granted.

Neither can I.

Absolutely; do you think anyone here thinks differently?

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Iris, if someone who posts here thinks differently, that's their right, and none of my business.

When I saw the article this morning, and tried to reflect on what it meant, I thought of your question about who it is that hates America. I think people who would do something like this must hate America, and the values it stands for, and that was the focus of my post above.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by adoptedbyhounds
Stan Areted

Iris gw:

Speaking of one track mind?

Sorry, Iris, you're out of the loop on this one.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I could make a case for Putin hating this country and all it is supposed to stand for and Trump is his best buddy. As a citizen I have a right to find this place not all it ought to be. I have read the constitution written by men who made outrageous claims of all our rights but at the same time disenfranchised half the population from ever exercising most of those rights. We have a lot of work to do to realize the image of our self that we cling to. We see our selves as a beacon and yet the light is out.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Beacons also serve as warnings. Anyway, do try to remember that a privileged young woman wrote that poem, it's not part of the Constitution.

From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome;

Save    
Iris GW

Stan, you bring up Omar fairly regularly.

Save    
Iris GW

mudhouse, I'm sure there are people across all the whole spectrum of American people who want to disrupt peaceful life here. Radical right, radical left ... many of them born and bred right here in the USA. To imply that it is immigrants that come here and then are ungrateful ... well, that just feeds the narrative that Trump is pushing about not letting people into America because they are rapists and part of the drug trade.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Iris: To imply that it is immigrants that come here and then are ungrateful ...

I don't understand, Iris; your comment is addressed to me, but I never said that immigrants come here and are then ungrateful. Not sure how you got that from my comment...?

I basically said the opposite. I said: I think the OP is trying to point out that many people who immigrated here treasure the freedom and opportunity America represents, and he can't understand why anyone would take it for granted.

The OP is written by an immigrant, and in this case, it seems to me he has a much better grasp of why we should all be grateful for this country than some people who were fortunate enough to be born American citizens. He has a much better grasp than the small-minded criminals that cut down the flag pole at the 9/11 fire fighter memorial, who apparently take the privileges of being an American for granted, and see nothing wrong with disrespecting that flag, and the people it honored.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

I don't understand, Iris; your comment is addressed to me, but I never said that immigrants come here and are then ungrateful. Not sure how you got that from my comment...?

You didn't.

Save    
mudhouse

Okey dokey then! Lol...

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Wait a minute. One would think that the "ultimate Place of Privilege" would, at minimum, provide universal health care."

Not so. There is a difference between a privilege and a right. Rights apply to everyone. Privileges do not.

Save    
bleusblue2

adoptedbyhounds

"Wait a minute. One would think that the "ultimate Place of Privilege" would, at minimum, provide universal health care."

Not so. There is a difference between a privilege and a right. Rights apply to everyone. Privileges do not.

~~~~

noted

Kathy

I have always felt fortunate to live in US but now it seems the middle class has disappeared and we are divided into workers and employers more than I have ever seen in my lifetime. Since Trump even more of the money has been transferred to the top and this pandemic is used as leverage even more so. The engineers at my son’s company had to take a 25% pay cut to return to work. Workers will not be assured a safe working environment which radiates into all areas of a workplace not just virus control.

Capitalism has gone awry with the power wielded by the current GOP.

Save    
Iris GW

It almost sounds like you're implying that universal health care would be a right. I must be wrong.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

People in most free Western countries view health care as a right not a privilege. Most people in the US feel the same was too. Then there are those who think that healthcare is a privilege reserved for some and not others.

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand

It is not a privilege for me to enjoy good health and maintain this health via good health care, it is my right!

Save    
Iris GW

Is Education a right or a privilege? If it is different from healthcare, why is it different?

Save    
bleusblue2

Any idiot knows that when part of the population is unhealthy because they can't afford healthcare, the rest of the population will pay for it -- in spreading illness, in increased spending on emergency health care. Of course burial costs are a one time expense.

Save    
elvis

So what happened in Sweden with cv-19?

Nana H

Ineffective, incompetent leadership......

3 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Interesting that, in the US, health care is a privilege and owning a gun is a right. In the rest of the developed world it's the other way around.

8 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

"Interesting that, in the US, health care is a privilege and owning a gun is a right. In the rest of the developed world it's the other way around."

What could possibly be "interesting" about it?

It's the way we roll.

Not everyone can legally own a gun in the United States.

Everyone has access to healthcare.

You can buy health care policies yourself, you can pay cash, you can get health care as a gift or as part of of your employment benefits, or obtain health care through paying taxes in Medicare when you reach age 65 and Medicaid if you're younger, unable to afford and qualify for benefits.

If you lose your job you have Cobra which allows you to keep your policy, but you have to contribute yourself, and we have that wonderful solves everything legislation, Obamacare.

Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

^You can also go bankrupt here trying to pay medical bills. Nice to have that option, one that the president supports.

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

You might not be able to afford it, it might not cover your pre-existing condition, you might hit the lifetime maximum .... but it's out there.

1 Like Save    
bleusblue2

Iris GW

You might not be able to afford it, it might not cover your pre-existing condition, you might hit the lifetime maximum .... but it's out there.

~~~~"

"Everyone has access to healthcare."

if you say it often enough it may become a fact! Get an echo chamber -- that would multiply the repeats.

1 Like Save    
studio10001

Sorry you have been out of the loop so long - due to changes made by the current administration, it is now called Trumpcare. In case you also missed other news, NAFTA is now the USMCA, and the Grand Old Party is dead.( The China trade deal appears to be, too...)

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Is Education a right or a privilege?"

Under the law, all children in the US are entitled to a free and appropriate K-12 education. Declaring oneself entitled to free medical care grants no such right.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Pet Places Pets’ Place: Greyhounds Baeley and Wyst Take It Easy
The rescued ex-racers are enjoying lives of leisure in a beautiful hillside home in Los Angeles
Full Story
Houzz TV Houzz TV: Fun Family Living in 980 Square Feet
In a place known for going big, a family of 4 opts for creative space savers and subtle luxuries instead
Full Story
Small Homes Ask an Expert: What Is Your Ultimate Space-Saving Trick?
Houzz professionals share their secrets for getting more from any space, small or large
Full Story
Our operating philosophy as consulting engineers is based on the belief that each project has a unique solution... Read More
Van Metre Homes is a homegrown builder with a reputation for blending the enduring traditions, quality and value... Read More