SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dani_m08

I DESPERATELY NEED KITCHEN HELP

dani_m08
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Short background story - I have been dealing with some very serious health issues for the past decade. I was stuck in bed for almost 4 years - and couldn’t live in my house for the past 8 years. I FINALLY moved back home within the past couple of weeks. Right before leaving my home, I was just beginning to do some remodeling - my house is stuck in a time warp! My house was lived in for a few of those 8 years by one of my daughters and a couple of her friends - otherwise, it was empty (luckily, I have wonderful neighbors directly across the street who have kept their eye on it while I e been gone. There is so much to do that I am becoming overwhelmed- which isn’t good for my health.

Over the years, I’ve collected SO MANY ideas for my house - some of those trends have already come and gone! My priority projects are: painting interior of house with a neutral grey/getting rid of popcorn!/creating a calm, peaceful master bedroom and bathroom (using some neutral color other than grey). And - of course - my kitchen!!!!!

So, I’ve decided to rip the bandage off and post what I‘m starting with which will probably give everyone a good laugh. I definitely want to paint/add height to my cabinets (the back side looks like shaker so I can flip them and use inside hinges). Initially, I was set on replacing all of them but my good friend (who is a contractor) told me that my boxes/doors were made very well and he thinks they need to be saved vs. installing less expensive ones. The current layout worked for me (I cooked A LOT) prior to illnesses). So, I’ve decided to wait on new cabinets for when I make some real changes (open up large portion of wall between kitchen and dining room).

I have “plans” for upgrading my island - it’s already pretty large (when I built this house back in 1996, I completely redesigned the kitchen in the model home. I insisted on making my island all counter height - very unusual at the time for us in the midwest. I decided that I wanted a place where we could really cook (I’m half Italian - my mom‘s side) - my mom “overruled my ex-husband’s objection at the time.

My mom and I (along with my daughters) spent a lot of time in my kitchen because of it.

I wish that I would have listened to her subway tile backsplash suggestion when my original backsplash was being installed (the slate happened during my previous remodeling) - she stressed how timeless it was. I’ve been dreaming (and saving) every beautiful all white kitchen (many with subway tile) over the past 5-6 years. However, I’m starting to think that I need to throw a color on the island (SW Naval looks amazing in some recent kitchens).

All suggestions welcomed - other than buy expensive new cabinets and blow out dining room wall - that’s for later. FYI - my nephew was sanding my counterops - in case your wondering why they look that way! Also - the couch/ottoman/area rug do not belong in from of the hearth. My daughter moved my hearth area furniture and just dumped her couch etc there and hasn’t come to remove it. The new outdoor chair cushions are mine for out on my deck furniture! Also - ignore the black curtains that are randomly hanging over some of my windows - back of house faces WEST - it was hot so I just threw stuff up there to block heat!

I am not sure how to do the photos - seems like I have to send them separately because I don’t know how to make them small!

Comments (14)