SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16245081

what elastic cord to use for doll

User
3 years ago

I got down from the attic the bucket of old dolls that were mine when I was a kid. They date back to the 1950s. I went through them and make some assessments and have decided that it would be fun to restore and restring a couple of them.

Blog slogging through the various doll repair sites leaves me with more questions than answers about just what to look for in a doll stringing cord.

It gets complicated because so much of the elastic cording that is being sold is marketed for using in mask making.

I think that the cord needed to string a 18" jointed doll back together probably needs to have a bit more firm stretch to it than the one that might be used for a mask.

Some doll sites do sell what they are saying is cord for the dolls. I am uncertain purchasing from some sites and some have a min order of stuff that I don't need.

I think what I want is described as 1/8" round elastic cord.

Does anyone have any experience with these cords as per restringing dolls, and care to share? With all of the emphasis on mask making right now, it gets a bit confusing. I suspect that not all of the elastic cord that is being touted is strong enough for use in dolls.

It would be good to have some that might be firm enough to hold a doll body together and yet soft enough to be used in a mask. Sometimes you can get just a few yards from vendors and others are sold in larger quantity. I would buy the larger quantity. (Amazon) if it could be sure that it could be used for these couple of dolls and also be suitable for masks, as well.

Does anyone here make jointed dolls or bears and have some experience that you would like to share as per what quality to look for in a suitable elastic cord for doll stringing. I know that it has to be able to hold a tight knot.

I have an old posable jointed doll with multiple joints and she needs to be quite tight to hold a pose. For those who know dolls, she is a Uneeda "dollikins" poseable doll. Her ability to pose in different poses is really quite nice. But, she is too loos ey goos ey. I think she may be from around 1958.

If I can find a suitable elastic for both the dolls and some masks I will buy it.

I am not comfortable with eBay.

Anyone care to share their ideas?

Comments (12)