62% no longer see America as Reagan's 'Shining City on a Hill'

dublinbay z6 (KS)

What happened to American optimism and sense of exceptionalism?

-----------------------------------

"This Fourth of July, a new Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows that no matter how polarized they might be politically, Americans finally seem to agree on something: that everything about America is getting worse.

In his 1989 farewell address, President Ronald Reagan famously described the United States as a “shining city on a hill” — a beacon of hope and a model for the rest of the world. According to the Yahoo News/YouGov survey, which was conducted between June 29 and July 1, a majority of Americans (52 percent) believe that Reagan’s remark was accurate at the time he said it; only 21 percent disagree.

[. . .]

“I am in Texas, COVID-19 is on the rise, and there’s quite a lot of anxiety,” said poll respondent Alexandra Foulks, a 62-year-old native of France who now lives in Dallas with her husband.

Foulks scoffed at the notion of America as the proverbial “shining city on a hill.”

“We are banned from Europe right now,” she said. “How could we be shining?”

Overall, the poll found the American people in a historically pessimistic mood heading into a holiday weekend traditionally marked by family cookouts and fireworks displays — events that have been canceled across the country in the midst of a surging coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 128,000 Americans and is currently infecting more than 50,000 each day."

[. . .]

Yet America’s bleak outlook goes beyond the pandemic. Sixty-four percent of Americans, including 67 percent of Democrats and 60 percent of Republicans, say race relations — the focus of mass protests since George Floyd was killed by a Minneapolis police officer in late May — are also getting worse, versus just 12 percent who say race relations are getting better. Sixty-one percent say the economy is getting worse, versus just 21 percent who say it’s getting better. Sixty percent say America’s standing in the world is getting worse, versus just 15 percent who say it’s getting better. And 58 percent say crime is getting worse, versus just 10 percent who say it’s getting better. (Violent crime in the U.S. has fallen sharply over the last quarter-century; it has also declined during the pandemic.)"

https://news.yahoo.com/yahoo-news-you-gov-july-4th-poll-62-percent-of-americans-no-longer-see-america-as-shining-city-on-a-hill-202931706.html

--------------

Notice the irony of that last point: perception vs facts about crime.

Kate

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Woe is me!

You bet -- we're still in the first wave of a nasty pandemic!

First you must acknowledge the problem, learn about the problem, before you can attempt to find a remedy.

Saying everything will be alright in 15 days will not work. Didn't work in March, and certainly won't work in July.

3 Likes Save    
Lulu Smith

OK, Woe is them too

Save    
Toby

What is there to be optimistic about for our nation? On New Years' Day, I was thankful for a new year and a new decade. I was so optimistic about the election this fall. I had no idea that this is what 2020 would look like. I'm still clinging to getting Trump out of the WH as it's the only good I can see for this year.

1 Like Save    
jmm1837

"First you must acknowledge the problem, learn about the problem, before you can attempt to find a remedy."

That applies to race relations and to Covid alike. America seems not to have got to, never mind past, the first stage for either one.

1 Like Save    
Toby

We don't solve problems here, jmm. We are still arguing about the same problems we argued about forty years ago, and no closer to a solution. I think we're too big and too diverse to function like other countries, and now we're split almost 50/50 politically.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Shining city on the hill?

Thanks to Trump we are now more like the ____hole city on the hill.

(to use trump’s own word)

Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

The shining city has always been there, and is still there.

If you are rich.

Save    
Lulu Smith

What do these people have in common?

1. Oprah Winfrey
  2. Howard Schultz
  3. Ralph Lauren
  4. Larry Ellison
  5. Kenneth Langone
  6. Sheldon Adelson
  7. Alan Gerry
  8. John Paul DeJoria
  9. Harold Hamm

10. Dani Johnson

Save    
HU-274840647

Their names all contain at least one vowel?

Save    
HU-274840647

The shining city on the hill is commonly thought to refer to the US as a beacon of hope, we need another phrase for hopeless.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Green Building Off the Grid: Ready to Pull the Plug on City Power?
What to consider if you want to stop relying on public utilities — or just have a more energy-efficient home
Full Story
Green Building Houzz Tour: See a Concrete House With a $0 Energy Bill
Passive House principles and universal design elements result in a home that’ll work efficiently for the long haul
Full Story
Gardening Guides New Ways to Think About All That Mulch in the Garden
Before you go making a mountain out of a mulch hill, learn the facts about what your plants and soil really want
Full Story