SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Chinese wisteria secondary bloom! (and a few other things...)

This cold spring was very disappointing in terms of wisteria flowers - we had a very cold May, especially a week or two before the Chinese wisteria should bloom. We only had three (!) flowers on it so most of the buds were likely killed in that cold spell. The Japanese one bloomed but not very well either. So we had hopes of a good secondary bloom on the Chinese one after cutting back the first round of whippy new growth. The Japanese one never produces a secondary bloom but the Chinese one does. We saw new flowerbuds appearing about a week ago - this morning they are starting to bloom! They are not nearly as showy as the spring bloom but we're happy to have them :-)

The Japanese one just continues to put out lots of whippy new growth all summer - it needs another 'haircut' but it's too hot to work out there!

Clematises have been a disappointment here this year. Some died and those that survived are all weeks behind schedule and not flowering well. There is a Piilu in the hydrangea in the first wisteria picture above - the clematis is only flowering deep in the shrub and not visible from the outside of it! There is another one just visible on the far right in the first picture above - I wanted it to grow into the wisteria but it appears to have decided to grow into the Boomerang dwarf lilac instead :-)

The Huldine clematis (and others) on the iron tuteur should be in showy bloom by now. Instead, for a long time everything looked dead. There is now a bit of Huldine climbing the structure and I see a few buds. There are a few Rooguchi blooms appearing now but, so far at least, this structure is not making much of a show in the garden!

One thing that was nice to see - and they always surprise me when they appear because I forget they are there... - is a couple of clumps of Brodiaea laxa bulbs.

It's been brutally hot out there so we're doing little to nothing in the garden this week! Rain would be very welcome....!

Comment

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner