2 women hit by car on Seattle highway closed amid protests

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Once again, the right seems to be the source of violence at protests.

-----------------------

Two women were struck by a car whose driver sped through a protest-related closure on a freeway in Seattle, authorities said early Saturday.

A 24-year-old woman from Seattle suffered critical, life-threatening injuries and a 32-year-old woman from Bellingham had serious injuries, Washington State Patrol Capt. Ron Mead said.

The driver, a 27-year-old man from Seattle, was in custody, Mead said, adding that impairment was not considered a factor. Charges remain under investigation, as does the motive and point of entry onto the interstate, but Mead said the unnamed man faced multiple felony charges and was suspected to have come on the wrong way on a ramp.

Mead said troopers did not know whether it was a targeted attack.

Video on social media showed a white car traveling at a high rate of speed navigate around two vehicles positioned across the lanes as a barrier. The car careened toward a small crowd of protesters on the freeway, striking two people who flew into the air before landing on the ground.

A nearly two-hour-long Facebook livestream captioned “Black Femme March takes I-5” from Diaz Love ended abruptly; with about 15 seconds left, shouts of “Car!” can be heard as the camera starts to shake before screeching tires and the sound of impact are heard. . . .

[. . .]

Mead said at the press conference that protesters had shut down the interstate for 19 days in a row. He emphasized that the freeway is “simply not a safe place" for pedestrians, and said he hoped protesters would cease what he termed “unlawful behavior” in blocking the interstate.

https://news.yahoo.com/2-women-hit-car-seattle-102948480.html

----------------------------------

Maybe this incident will prove to be something other than another right-wing anti-protester going a bit nuts, but it sure sound suspicious.

Regardless, I hope such car-assaults will cease, even if the only kind of behavior concerning to the patrol capt. is peacefully protesting.

I guess if a car is your "weapon," you can't claim a 2nd Amendment right to self-defense, huh?

But if you shoot someone with a gun, that's covered and OK.

Kate

SaveComment52Like
Comments (52)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
queenmargo

Ban cars?

Save    
queenmargo

Ban highways?

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

What happened to all the posts?

~

Ban people in cars assaulting pedestrians--there's a possibility.

Oh wait--it is already against the law. So why are you defending such actions?

Kate

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

Protesters should not be on roads. Blocking roads for a protest is wrong IMO. Authorities should give them a safe open area so they can safely march and scream and yell and protest whatever they wish.

Cars should not hit people. If done intentionally, the driver should be arrested and punished. If, OTOH, a protester or protesters descend upon a car in a threatening manner, I believe the driver has every right to protect themselves and drive through them if necessary.

8 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

“Authorities should give them...”

Oh, the State should dole out resources and give permissions in this situation?

But maybe not for welfare, or housing, or health care, or environmental protections, or health and safety regulations?

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Protestors don't have the right to break laws. The crats are the problems they fear. It's all self inflected.

1 Like Save    
Del Phinium

Oh, the State should dole out resources and give permissions in this situation?

Yup. It’s called a permit. Seems like common sense that you’d want one if you plan on closing the road down, unless you want to gamble getting hit by a car. To each, their own, I guess.

6 Likes Save    

Do you think I’m dumb enough to forget the second half of my comment? Or did you just stop reading at the first sentence?

If a person upholds the State’s right to issue permits and dispense resources in situations where those permits and dispensations restrict the populace, why not in situations that will assist the populace? And why not uphold the State in placing restrictions on corporations?

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

Deflection.

3 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

"media showed a white car traveling "

Funny.

Hay

7 Likes Save    
Del Phinium

“If a person upholds the State’s right to issue permits and dispense resources in situations where those permits and dispensations restrict the populace, why not in situations that will assist the populace? And why not uphold the State in placing restrictions on corporations?”

^ I wonder if those questions could’ve been answered at the desk where you apply for permits... Things that make you go “Hmmmmm?”...

Do you think I’m dumb enough to forget the second half of my comment?”

^ Not touching that one! lol

3 Likes Save    
maifleur03

In other stories it was mentioned that the WPS had closed the highway. Some posters on here make it sound like the group marching was who closed it.

"WSP had closed the interstate around midnight Friday to accommodate the “Black Femme March” against racism and police brutality. But just before 2 a.m. Saturday a man drove his car, a white Jaguar, around two vehicles parked as barriers and slammed into the demonstrators at a high rate of speed."

https://www.kuow.org/stories/driver-plows-into

6 Likes Save    
cait1

white car, black driver

He's been arrested. Perhaps the first thing they asked him was if he was a right-wing Trump supporter. I'm sure the AP et al will be quick to report the findings.

Hmm? I wonder if he really did go to Harvard?

On a more serious note - this 'blame/hate white and right' garbage incessantly pushed by leftists is the most tired narrative out there. Proof positive the left can't meme.

12 Likes Save    
elvis

Kate, would you have posted this thread if you had known that the driver, who you described variously as "violent", "a right-wing anti-protester going a bit nuts", perpetrator of a "car-assault", is a black American?

2 women hit by car on Seattle highway closed amid protests

dublinbay z6 (KS)15 hours ago

Once again, the right seems to be the source of violence at protests

"Two women were struck by a car whose driver sped through a protest-related closure on a freeway in Seattle, authorities said early Saturday."

What a pity that you did not wait for all the facts.

Dawit Kelete is man from Seattle who according to a police report released by the Washington State Patrol drove into a crowd of protestors in Interstate 5 road on 04 July 2020. Kelete who was driving a white Jaguar allegedly critically injured Summer Taylor, 24, of Seattle and Diaz Love, 32, of Bellingham. The incident was caught on video.

Video, oh noes. You were right about the car, though: it was white!

9 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Some are always so quick to put out the "headline" just like the fake news.

Don't worry there will be another and another as that is what fake sensationalism does for some. It is like a feast.

8 Likes Save    
Rina

I have read that one of the women has died. RIP, and I wish comfort to her family and friends. The other is in a critical condition. Perhaps the unpleasant bits of jokiness in this thread should stop now. The incident is not about how clever left-wing and right-wing contributors to a forum called Hot Topics can be in yet another jolly argument. It is about a young dead woman, another in a critical condition, and some awful man who somehow thought he had the right to drive into a crowd of people. Yes, there are background issues to discuss, but it would be nice if that could be done with some solemnity, and much less throwing about of the same old same old lame, tired insults.

The headline for this thread is in no way sensational, it is a model of factual restraint.

7 Likes Save    
wildchild2x2

navigate around two vehicles positioned across the lanes as a barrier.

I want to know more about those vehicles. If the highway was actually shut down officially those vehicles would have been some sort of Dept. of Highway vehicles or law enforcement. I don't know about the Seattle area but here the freeway is shut down for miles before a detour. Two civilian vehicles in the roadway do not a legal roadblock make. Something stinks about these reports and it not just this particular article in the link.

3 Likes Save    
Rina

Tito, where I come from "factual restraint" would be an ordinary English phrase, easily understood. Not word salad at all. It would mean exercising restraint not only by sticking to facts, but by using just the essential facts. That's what the headline does, in this case.

As it was a left-wing protest, Kate's assumption that the attacker is right wing was reasonable but possibly premature. We don't yet know that much about him. But the incident was certainly sensational. It is sensationally horrible when someone drives a car into a crowd of people - whether it happens deliberately or by accident. Kate didn't sensationalise it.

"More word salad from the left" is the sort of insult I was referring to above. Unproductive and unsuitable as part of squabbling over a young woman's dead body, you know? I'm appealing for less of that and more of a seemly approach to discussion when the subject is really serious.

4 Likes Save    
cait1

This happened at 1:40AM - the protest should have been over already. The other days the highway was only closed for a couple of hours in the evening. Those stupid people hijacked the highway and I have no sympathy at all for what happened to those two women. The guy wasn't speeding, just going regular highway speed and he slowed down to pass the vehicles blocking the road - I would love the news to report who owned the van and car but since they were probably the protesters' I doubt they will. The van blocked the white car driver's view and after he passed and saw the crowd swerved to avoid the crowd. He tried to avoid those women lollygagging behind but couldn't.

The Washington State Patrol said Sunday evening that going forward it
won’t allow protesters to enter I-5 and would arrest pedestrians on the
freeway

https://apnews.com/741b01da9ce010717df1afca30afe09e

If they had had any sense they wouldn't have given in to those thug protesters in the first place but the most useful alternative for highway drivers was a pay toll and WSP was more interested in making money for the State than safety issues.

Ya do stupid things ya pay the consequences. Maybe if they taught reason and logic in higher ed instead of commie SWJ garbage those women would have realized dangerous activities are hazardous to your health.

5 Likes Save    
jmm1837

I really don't care who put the cars there. The guy drove up the off ramp, which is obviously illegal, drove around the two barriers, and hit the two women, killing one. He then fled the scene. In my book, negligent driving causing death/injury, fleeing the scene of an accident, and a few other criminal charges.

3 Likes Save    
cait1

As it was a left-wing protest, Kate's assumption that the attacker is right wing was reasonable

No it wasn't. HAHAHA That is NOT a well thought out statement. kate and leftists are trying real hard to paint a negative picture of white and right. I have no trouble with someone loathing themselves for their skin color, except to say it's a really pathetic state of mind to be in, but they shouldn't try to force others to adopt such lunacy.

5 Likes Save    
lurker111

Walking on the highways is a crime in Texas. I guess it all comes down to state laws. I'm not 100% sure, but I've heard that you're not at fault if you hit a pedestrian on the highways here. They have no business being on the highways. Peaceful protests are confined to an approved area, with a permit. You don't get to attack people, cause traffic jams, go crazy because you have mental problems, burn cities, loot, disobey the police...In other words, it has to be a lawful action.

3 Likes Save    
Rina

Oh Cait, "HAHAHA" is so weak it makes me loth to reply. But rather than SOB, I will just put it this way:

1. In the US, there is deep and serious conflict between the left and right wing. This has quite frequently been expressed in violence, including murder.

2. It therefore goes against the facts to think that some Americans do not, in these times, see violence as a legitimate (to them) part of political action.

3. Right wingers have been among those who have committed violent acts in the past.

4. The political temperature is particularly high in Seattle at the moment.

5. A left-wing protest wass held on a highway.

6. In this highly divisive atmosphere, a person deliberately drove his car past a barrier and aimed it at protesters (watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2dfCHZ1FQg

7. Is it reasonable to assume that person is a right-winger? I think it is, even though that might not be the case.

I've never met anyone who loathes themselves for their skin colour so the second part of your comment is meaningless babble to me.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

The right shouldn't have to deal with left wing insanity. These self loathing basket cases need to come to terms with what they are. If they want to get along in society...fine. They are more than welcome. If they want to destroy the country due to revised history and self degradation...Not fine. Grow up.

3 Likes Save    
Rina

Elvis, I was responding to QM's comment above.

Shead, I talked of "exercising restraint" with respect to headlines. You would argue that newspapers should place all evidence in the headline when reporting on an incident? If not, you will acknowledge that the rest of your comment falls away. And in any case this is rubbish: "Exercising restraint" is only a phrase used by those that employ it (or support those that do for their own agenda) to make themselves or their agenda appear virtuous when, in fact, it is anything but." (My emphasis.) Try googling it, I'm sure you will find that it's a phrase used in a more ways than you or I could ever count, and by more people. This is a facile and untrue statement.

"[G]rievously wrong assumptions" ... Why is the right wing assuming that a black perpetrator could not hold right-wing views? I don't think we know enough about him to know his political leanings, do we? Or is the right-wing assumption that you have to be white to be right wing? And if that proves to be wrong, will everyone who holds that assumption apologise?

Save    
Rina

As a courtesy, folks, I want to say I'm bowing out of this depressing discussion. My appeal to remember it's being held over a dead body has disappeared in the wind, and I just find it much too ugly. Things are getting worse and worse in the US, aren't they? Time to stop arguing and start praying for help, perhaps? Good luck and good night.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
maifleur03

Until more is stated about the man who drove into the group I would not put aside the left/right idea. By doing so you are feeding the idea that any black person could not be on the right. I expect someone that is hyper conservative and hated gay people. Could be just some random man that decided he needed a little action in his life but I do not think so.

Save    
lurker111

I don't think he meant to hit anyone. He stopped until someone started pounding on his car, and there may have been a gunshot. I heard he drove away and waited for the police after that.

2 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Cynical me here.

The guy was driving a Jaguar. In my experience, most guys driving the status symbols are usually world class buttheads. Race Is not a factor.

That being said, pedestrians on the freeway in the middle of the night was a really dumb idea.

Participation ribbons in the Darwin awards all around.

1 Like Save    
Save    
shead

“The guy was driving a Jaguar. In my experience, most guys driving the status symbols are usually world class buttheads“

Seriously?!? So no one is allowed to drive a status symbol or own one? That is one of the most stereotypical statements I’ve ever heard.

I suggest you go over to the Kitchen forum and tell that to the people who spend $15-20k on a SubZero refrigerator. Many of them are flaming liberals....

3 Likes Save    
shead

“I talked of "exercising restraint" with respect to headlines. You would argue that newspapers should place all evidence in the headline when reporting on an incident?“

No, but spinning an entire news story and leaving out critical details is not “exercising restraint” It’s sensationalism.

I also think “exercising restraint” is a poor word choice to describe a headline.

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Seriously?!?

Yep, seriously.

So no one is allowed to drive a status symbol or own one?

Of course they’re allowed to drive or own one. Who said they weren’t?

That is one of the most stereotypical statements I’ve ever heard.

And?

I suggest you go over to the Kitchen forum and tell that to the people who spend $15-20k on a SubZero refrigerator. Many of them are flaming liberals....

Who said anything about their political leanings? Liberal and conservative, equal opportunity buttheads.

1 Like Save    
shead

I thought liberals were against anyone having stereotypical thoughts let alone verbalizing them. You know, hoodies and all....

“equal opportunity buttheads”

Touché.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Well, I tried re-posting the TWO defenses (one long, one short) that disappeared, but Houzz evidently doesn't let us re-post disappeared posts. I can see the re-posted posts here on my screen, but when (per Hay's instructions) I check out the incognito window, the re-posted posts do NOT appear.

Now let me go check and see if even this post (which is not a re-post) is showing up on any of your screens.

Kate

ETA: This post is showing up in the incognito window, so I guess that means all of you can read it--but not my two re-posted defenses.

Save    
wildchild2x2

The guy drove up the off ramp, which is obviously illegal,

So is playing on the freeway. It cuts both ways. After all, if he did in fact do the above he was just exercising his rights to civil disobedience. His taxes pay for the highway, it's his right to use it. Why is it only the left that gets to break the rules?

2 Likes Save    
elvis

So, Kate. Your OPs, when they concern victims and offenders wherein one side of the equation is black and the other white, invariably have an OP title which points out that the victims are black and the offender is white.

The instant OP concerns the opposite: the victims are white, the offender black. You chose to omit race in both the title and body of your OP. Why didn't you specify the respective races of the victims and offender, as is your practice, especially recently?

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Elvis, there is no card game.

1 Like Save    
jmm1837

"After all, if he did in fact do the above he was just exercising his rights to civil disobedience"

I'm going to put this as simply as I can. People who become involved in non violent protests may or may not be breaking the law. In most jurisdictions, protests are either legal (the right to assemble) or at worst a misdemeanor.

People who commit acts of violence, whether they are protestors, counter protestors or just run-of-the-mill thugs, are in an entirely different category . People who drive at speed into a crowd, killing one person and seriously injuring another, and then flee the scene, are in no way comparable someone holding up a BLM poster. They have committed a whole slew of criminal offences. If you don't have a problem with the way this guy chose to "exercise his rights" then you don't have a problem with rioters. Personally, I have a problem with both.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
patriciae_gw(07)

And the freeway was closed. Closed. The police do not know how he got on the highway but he was going very fast. No excuse for this and no amount of somehow making this about Kate is going to change what happened. According to every version I could get locally one of the protestors had a car, followed him and blocked him from getting away. He did not wait for police.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

So, Kate. Your OPs, when they concern victims and offenders wherein one side of the equation is black and the other white, invariably have an OP title which points out that the victims are black and the offender is white.

The title of the OP is copied directly from the linked article so why would it?

1 Like Save    
lurker111

According to every version I could get locally one of the protestors had
a car, followed him and blocked him from getting away. He did not wait
for police.

You should watch the video I posted.Your sources are wrong. Here's the proof...

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1279373900871155713

Parked, waiting with his flashers on...until the possible gunshots and attack on his car.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

lol^^^

No, he pulled over and waited, with his flashers on. Those protesters don't have a car that could catch that Jag. If he wanted leave, he would have been gone.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

LOL

'your sources are wrong & mine are right'

Save    
haydayhayday

Kate:

"...but I just hate the idea of a clique of bullies chasing us off the forum at their whim."

It happens to the best of us. If you're just now getting the treatment, you've been among the blessed for a long time.

I used to get it a lot.

Margo's posts go disappearing all the time. Lurker gets disappeared a lot.

Also, be careful in your assumptions. You don't know for sure how your posts end up disappearing. You're assuming that it's one of the "clique of bullies" and perhaps it is, but, as we all know, sometimes it's caught by the filters here in this forum.

I think, too, that sometimes our host is on top of things and is doing the disappearing.

We just simply don't know. Keep that in mind before you assume the worst.

A long time ago on a thread where this disappearing was discussed, a lot of our fellow posters were confessing to be ones who would disappear posts. I was shocked by the ones who freely admitted to doing it. A LOT of posters for one thing. And from all sides of the political spectrum. I could hardly believe it.

Hay

4 Likes Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
jmm1837

"Parked, waiting with his flashers on...until the possible gunshots and attack on his car."

And then there's the police version:

"Kelete, who was alone, fled the scene after hitting the protesters,
Trooper Chase Van Cleave told The Associated Press. One of the other
protesters got in a car and chased the driver for about a mile. He was
able to stop him by pulling his car in front of the Jaguar, Van Cleave
said."

1 Like Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
dublinbay z6 (KS)

An experiment:

For those who were wondering earlier, the reason I did not mention race is because I was not talking about race.

Here is what I said in the OP:

"Maybe this incident will prove to be something other than another right-wing anti-protester going [to extremes,] but it sure sounds suspicious."

And that is exactly what I was talking about.

And notice the initial word: "maybe"

Kate

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Who cares? The video evidence shows otherwise. The only reason the other car caught up was because he stopped and waited. One car isn't going to block him in on that highway. The police always say stupid stuff. One time, a cop shot someone and claimed the victim was reaching for a gun and everyone here believed them. No, the window was rolled up. There was no way he was reaching for a gun.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Lurker, I get that there are different versions of what happened but why are you defending the guy who hit two women going so fast that they flew up into the air above his car? One is dead and the other very seriously injured. What is it about him that makes you support him? How has he been wronged?

Save    
lurker111

"Maybe this incident will prove to be something other
than another right-wing anti-protester going [to extremes,] but it sure
sounds suspiciou
s."

They knew the details before they published the article and conveniently left that part out.

BTW, the highway wasn't closed. Another car passed through right after the "chase" began.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Maybe this incident will prove to be something other
than another right-wing anti-protester going [to extremes,] but it sure
sounds suspiciou
s."

How so? What made you "suspicious" it was likely "another right wing anti-protester going to extremes?"

Save    
jmm1837

Not what the police and prosecution are saying:

From an early news report:

"Officials were trying to determine the motive as well as where he got onto the interstate, which had been closed by the state patrol for more than an hour before the protesters were hit. [Washington State Patrol Capt. Ron] Mead said they suspect Kelete drove the wrong way on a ramp. Trooper Rick Johnson said the driver went through a barrier that closed the freeway.

https://patch.com/washington/seattle/court-hearing-monday-driver-accused-hitting-protesters

And a report after the judge set bail at $1.2million:

"According to the Associated Press, the stretch of Interstate 5 had closed 19 days in a row before Saturday, due to regular protests, and was blocked for more than an hour before the crash.

Prosecutors say Dawit Kelete drove a white Jaguar up the wrong direction of a ramp onto I-5, near Stewart Street, and sped southbound, passing several vehicles placed to block the freeway. A witness video showed the vehicle drive along a shoulder then make a sharp turn, hitting two pedestrians.

According to investigators, the driver fled the scene and was stopped near the Interstate 90 interchange."

https://patch.com/washington/seattle/judge-sets-bail-1-2m-driver-accused-hitting-protesters

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Eclectic Style 5 Reasons to Hit That Secondhand Store
New things have their place, but old things have a history and beauty all their own
Full Story
Man Spaces Why Men Really Do Need a Cave
Don't dismiss cars, bars and the kegerator — a man space of some kind is important for emotional well-being at home
Full Story
Most Popular 11 Nominees for the ‘She Shed’ Hall of Fame
These special sanctuaries let busy women get away from it all without leaving the backyard
Full Story