White woman pointed gun at Black mom & daughter; charged with assault

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Another case of a white woman using her gun to try to settle a dispute with a black woman, only this incident ended better than some of the previously reported ones did.

-----------

"A white woman and her husband have been charged with assault after she was seen pointing a gun at a Black mother and her teenage daughter in a now-viral video.

Michigan authorities . . . explained that the conflict started after an alleged bumping incident at a Chipotle restaurant in Orion Township.

"Two very different stories from two different groups. Both sides claiming they feel extremely threatened," Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said. . . .

The video, posted by Takela Hill [the black mom] on Wednesday, shows an interaction during which Hill claims Jillian Wuestenberg, 32, [white woman with a gun] had just bumped into [Hill's] 15-year-old daughter.

Wuestenberg claimed she was being blocked from entering her car before her husband, Eric Wuestenberg, 42, was seen on video helping usher her into the vehicle.

The couple and Hill argued and exchanged racial accusations before Hill appeared to move behind the couple's vehicle.

Hill says the couple tried hitting her [with the car] as they reversed out of their parking spot, according to authorities. Jillian Wuestenberg accuses Hill of striking her car. . . .

Jillian Wuestenberg then exited the car and brandished a gun, pointing it at Hill several times.

[. . .]

If Wuestenberg and her husband are convicted of felony assault, they could face up to four years in jail."

https://news.yahoo.com/white-woman-pointed-gun-black-mom-her-teen-011400368--abc-news-topstories.html

---------

I do hope we are not going to hear again the "defense" that the black mom and teen are responsible for having a gun pointed at them by the unhappy white woman. That "excuse" is getting old.

Kate

SaveComment25Like2
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
studio10001

They may not be responsible for having a gun pointed at themselves, but they certainly gave every appearance of looking for a fight. I don't think anyone gets a gold star on this one, Kate.

2 Likes Save    
bry911

https://www.reddit.com/r/ActualPublicFreakouts/comments/hjuw2m/a_video_of_a_woman_pulling_a_gun_was_posted_here/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

---

This does not seem racially motivated. In case you struggle to piece it together, the woman bumped into someone leaving a business, was accused of being racist, apologized, got in her car and tried to leave. A woman stepped behind her car as they were backing up and then the other woman charged the car, beat on it, and opened the door. So the lady in the car got out with a gun.

The charges were dropped already.

---

I am not saying what happened was OK just that the video shows a much different perspective. When they started backing up no one was behind the car, you can clearly see them move onto the sidewalk and then they are suddenly behind the vehicle. Clearly the couple in the van were not trying to injure anyone and were just trying to leave, which they were prevented from doing.

---

Racism is clearly a problem in this country, but every problem isn't clearly racism.

4 Likes Save    
studio10001

Glad to hear that.

etd - that the charges were dropped, I mean. Have to watch myself around here. :)

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Initially there was a longer video where the black woman said the white woman had intentionally bumped into her daughter and it escalated from there. The couple tried to leave by driving away after some arguing and threats to call the police by the black woman. They backed into the black woman who was trying to get the plate number. Then the woman got out of the car with her gun drawn.

Save    
Rina

But it's just fine if a black person points a weapon at a white guy who just wants to go home.

Cait, I can't find a post that suggests anyone thinks that incident was fine -- which it wasn't, as far as the pointing a weapon was concerned. Can you provide the post on which you based your comment?

Also, you don't seem to realise that the conflict was between the woman and only two other individuals -- another woman and her teenage daughter. How would two individuals "surround" a car?

2 Likes Save    
Cookie8

We are so new to social media and the manipulation that is put upon us that this will be the norm for the next, well, forever now? We have to put more pressure on the media to actually provide clarity. No sound bites, no anonymous sources, full retractions by them - in bold, clarifying they were wrong. There seems to be no avenue to provide honesty anymore.

I still think it is crazy to pull a gun on someone but it is horrible to attack a stranger because of your own issues. Yes, things are very unfortunate but some lady/man backing up their vehicle shouldn't be your outlet of your anger. I won't lie, I have been in the midst of backing up and had to stop for someone or another vehicle backing up I didn't see until the last second. For this woman to not apologize shows her entitlement to what she believes is racism. All media outlets should have shown the beginning of the confrontation.

Save    
Kathy

There is no complete video that I can find online anymore. I saw it on MLive right after it happened. That video must be confiscated. It was a lot more complete.

Making assumptions without the complete video is off base.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

A lot of yelling/cursing and counter-yelling/cursing. Hard to tell who is saying what.

One thing is clear--if white woman had politely apologized for bumping into someone and then had quietly retired to her car and slowly pulled out and left, there would have been no scene!

Instead, the white woman kept provoking the other women and then got so frightened at what she had created that, shaking, gun in hand, she was ready to kill someone.

No one else was threatening to kill or shoot anyone--or run over anyone with a car. Only the white woman was a threat to the black women.

Kate

Save    
Del Phinium

One thing is clear--if white woman had politely apologized for bumping into someone and then had quietly retired to her car and slowly pulled out and left, there would have been no scene!

Instead, the white woman kept provoking the other women and then got so frightened at what she had created that, shaking, gun in hand, she was ready to kill someone.”

^ Kate... what planet do you live on, lady?! ROFL

3 Likes Save    
cait1

One thing is clear--if white woman had politely apologized for bumping
into someone and then had quietly retired to her car and slowly pulled
out and left, there would have been no scene!

There ya go... making assumptions about the situation.

We don't know if there was a 'bump'.

We don't know if it was a 'bump' or just a 'brush'.

If it was a 'bump', we don't know of kid bumped woman deliberately or if the woman deliberately bumped the kid.

If there was a bump and a snarky 'Excuse you' retort how likely would anyone want to even reply to such snark from a kid? Most likely adult reply would be, 'You're excused."

One thing is clear - you find it impossible to narrate it the other way around. If the black mom had just told her kid to let it go, not worth it, then quietly went on their way there would have been no scene! But the black mom was looking for a fight with a white woman. The mom could have been a shining example instead of revealing her low-lifeness and passing it on to the next generation. The black mom escalated a nothing burger and you defend that. I never will.

5 Likes Save    
Rina

Good morning from chilly Joburg.

As I see it, either a black woman or a white woman behaved badly, or both did. Simple, run-of-the-mill spat and who cares? But only the white woman pulled out a gun and aimed it at the other. How you feel about that depends on how you feel about people pointing guns at each other in general, I guess..

2 Likes Save    
bry911

I believe she did apologize for bumping into someone. There are unconfirmed reports that this family had attempted to escalate situations like this several other times and their phones had several similar recordings that police felt were attempts to escalate rather minor situations.

----

ETA: Viewed objectively this simply doesn't look like racism. Racism is a terrible things but please don't empower this type of behavior by validating it. Forget all of the dogmatic positions here, look how the woman used her gun, she was obviously terrified even once her gun was out, it was not being used to threaten someone, she backed away even when her gun was out and obviously viewed the gun as a defensive weapon, she was not using it to intimidate anyone or force her way in a bad situation. Regardless of whether or not I think she overreacted she also acted with a restraint she was not threatening to shoot anyone even when she clearly felt threatened.

This lady may have overreacted but she should not be demonized for it. If police showed the reluctance to use their firearms that this lady did, then we wouldn't be in this situation right now.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

The police evidently did not believe that the white woman's life was in danger, but rather that the black mom's and teen's lives were in danger from the gun being pointed at them. The police arrested and charged the white woman (and her husband) with assault.

They did NOT charge the black woman and teen with anything.

Or are we now revising recent history to show how the police are opposed to white people and always side with Black people?

The Blacks in this case had only words and attitude. The Whites had lethal force.

Kate

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

My city is most definitely not being destroyed. {There is crime - where people cluster together, there is more crime as it is easier to locate victims.}

Save    
haydayhayday

The result of hate mongering:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/07/01/boy-hides-from-police-george-floyd-death-pkg-vpx.news-12-connecticut

I saw this story a couple days ago.

The 9 year old kid feels the need to hide from a cop car.

The reason, his father says, is that the kid is scared of the cops.

I would imagine that the probability that this kid has any need to fear this cop is about as close to zero as you can get. Where did he get such an idea?

From the hatemongers?

The reality is that the kid is much, much, more likely to get killed going to his grandmother's house in an area in Chicago from a random car in that neighborhood.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/7/4/21313594/girl-killed-austin-natalie-wallace

"Girl, 7, shot to death at her grandmother’s house in Austin at a Fourth of July party"

"A 7-year-old girl died Saturday after being shot at a family Fourth of July party in Austin — the third weekend in a row in Chicago that’s seen a child under 10 among the city’s shooting victims."

(Austin is a district in Chicago.)

Hay

3 Likes Save    
Rina

I would imagine that the probability that this kid has any need to fear this cop is about as close to zero as you can get. Where did he get such an idea?

From the hatemongers?

Maybe from seeing George Floyd being killed by a policeman, live on TV. Or just hearing about it. That would have scared the hell out of me when I was nine.

I am deeply sorry to learn of the child's death in in Chicago. A true tragedy that has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject under discussion.

Save    
haydayhayday

Hate mongers and those who enable and encourage them.

Hay

2 Likes Save    
Rina

Kate, I might say that I have never felt about you anything but that you are most profoundly capable of love for all humanity, profoundly intelligent in your approach to difficult issues, and a passionate advocate of decency. Never, ever the slightest trace of hate.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
Kathy

Are the hate mongers the abusive cops or the ones who expose them?

Save    
elvis

"Girl, 7, shot to death at her grandmother’s house in Austin at a Fourth of July party"

"A 7-year-old girl died Saturday after being shot at a family Fourth of July party in Austin — the third weekend in a row in Chicago that’s seen a child under 10 among the city’s shooting victims."

Yes, I know. I was born and raised in Austin. It's a shame what has happened to the place. We didn't lock our doors, we were on good terms with our neighbors. We had backyards with veg gardens, and walked to school, and home for lunch. When MLK, Jr. was killed, all hell broke loose, the hate mongers came from somewhere else, and the exodus began. It still hurts.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

From my post above:

////////////////////////////////////////////////

"I saw this story a couple days ago.

From the hatemongers?

The reality is that the kid is much, much, more likely to get killed going to his grandmother's house in an area in Chicago from a random car in that neighborhood."

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

In Atlanta near the burned down Wendy's. Last night.

Just driving by Wendy's with your mom is enough to get an 8 year old kid shot and killed.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/atlanta-mayor-on-death-of-8-year-old-girl-we-are-doing-each-other-more-harm-than-any-police-officer-on-this-force

"Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms slammed the local community on Sunday during a press conference about the death of 8-year-old Secoriea Turner, who was killed on Saturday evening when an armed group of individuals opened fire on a car that she was riding in near the Wendy’s where Rayshard Brooks was killed last month.

“Officers said they responded to a 911 call near University Avenue and I-75/I-85 around 9:50 p.m.,” WSB-TV reported. “The location of the shooting was in a parking lot across the street from the now burned-out Wendy’s, which has been occupied by demonstrators since Brooks’ death at the hands of an Atlanta police officer.”

At a press conference, Bottoms slammed the violent act and noted that locals were inflicting more harm on the community than any police officer ever has."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1279916014071959552

"They say Black Lives Matter. You killed your own." Secoriya Williamson, father of 8-year-old Secoriea Turner, addressed the public during a press conf. today after his daughter was shot and killed last night while riding in a car w/ her mother in Southeast Atlanta.

Hay

3 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

Rina:

"Maybe from seeing George Floyd being killed by a policeman, live on TV. Or just hearing about it. That would have scared the hell out of me when I was nine."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"live on TV."?

I don't think George Floyd's death was "live on TV". It was, however, shown on TV and repeated and repeated and repeated.

It was detailed here on this forum repeatedly and repeatedly.

It was repeated and repeated by the hate mongers of the world.

And the result is that this 9 year old kid now feels he needs to fear a police car that drives by his house.

The reality is that he has more to fear from "his own".

"You killed your own." Secoriya Williamson.

Hay

2 Likes Save    
Rina

Hay: You're right, I erred in writing "live" in that context. The rest stands. It was repeated over and over largely because it was such a horrific and, yes, sensational piece of news. It was a really big story -- and would be in any society at any time. That kind of news clip simply will be shown again and again. I didn't watch more than a few seconds, though, out of respect for the deceased. Just enough to know what people were talking about. I wouldn't want my own death on display for the multitudes.

Is there hate in America? Definitely. Is it characteristic of the left, rather than the right? Definitely not. Right now, though, the country is reaping this particular whirwind.

Save    
Lulu Smith

If it bleeds, it leads.

Save    
Rina

Basically, yes, often true. But also, if it's really important, it leads. The murder of George Floyd fell into both categories.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Get the Family to Pitch In: A Mom’s Advice on Chores
Foster teamwork and a sense of ownership about housekeeping to lighten your load and even boost togetherness
Full Story
Mother’s Day Show Us Your Mom’s Influence on Your Home
Maybe it’s a great chess set or a style philosophy. With Mother’s Day nearing, where do you see your mom in your space?
Full Story
Gardening for Birds Wild Birds Transform a Woman’s Garden and Life
How Sharon Sorenson created a wildlife haven and became the Bird Lady of Southern Indiana
Full Story