SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annemarie_sakowitz

Norfolk Pine struggling after 15 years of healthy growth (pics incl)

Our poor tree... it was my moms and started out as a table centerpiece. Now it’s over 6’ tall. Until recently it was still healthy and growing like crazy. The tree has been outside for about a month now. I’ll post before and after photos. At first it went bananas. It loved the sunshine and the needles were actually were actually curling upwards with healthy new growth. Then my dad repotted it...

Now it’s a sad dying thing and I really want to save it. I think he may not have watered it well enough right after repotting. The needles at the top 2 floors had severe browning, but only on the topside of the leaf. The underside still had a lot of green. But then it just started shedding needles from everywhere. It looks like the tree got cooked in the sun a little too much - but it actually hadn’t been moved, no lighting change. Any suggestions on how I can save this beast? It’s seems like it’s fighting but I think the top two layers are toast. Shes lost so many needles 😥.

I’m like the grim reaper for plants so I don’t want to do anything drastic without advice. Would cutting the top 2 floors off help?

No signs of pests or fungi. Branches are still green and strong.

Also, Ive been trying to find this answer and I’m missing it somewhere... Do Norfolk Pine needles grow back? I know branches won’t but this tree was so healthy it was never something we had to think about before. Any help is appreciated!

BEFORE

AFTER 😬

Cones

Some lower branches and needles doing ok.

current soil

recent new growth with browning topside and green under

Comments (2)