small bathroom renovation

Kelly c

Small bathroom getting a remodel. Bathroom is for my kids. Need help with tile and counter choices

SaveComment41Like1
Comments (41)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thinkdesignlive

Could you give more information? What is the current style of your home? Are you considering using either of those 3 tiles in the photo? What is the vanity finish?

1 Like Save    
PRO
Tasha Lynn Interiors

Hello! I am happy to help you out with your project. My name is Tasha and I'm a pro here. Message me if you would like to discuss, I have pretty open availability.

1 Like Save    
Kelly c

This is our kitchen

1 Like Save    
Kelly c

Dining

2 Likes Save    
Kelly c

Living

1 Like Save    
Kelly c

Another living

1 Like Save    
PRO
Tasha Lynn Interiors

In my opinion I'd use the white honey comb tiles

1 Like Save    
Kelly c

1/2 bath

1 Like Save    
Kelly c

Just shared a few pics of the rooms we have remodeled.

Save    
Kelly c

We are not married to the tile choices we have brought home.

Save    
Kelly c

We are looking for help with the wall tile for the walk in shower and the shower floor. We are also looking for help with what tile to use on the floors and we need help with the faucet choice

Save    
Kelly c

This is the cabinet but we are not sold on the counter top

Save    
Kelly c

And we need bright light lighting. Feeling overwhelmed

Save    
Kelly c

Just samples

Save    
PRO
Tasha Lynn Interiors

I would be happy to help if you are interested! I am looking to get my feet wet, full transparency, I am new here and would love to assist you in your bathroom remodel. You can find my pro profile here by looking up Tasha Lynn Interiors under professionals. The rest of your home is looking great!

Save    
loobab

It seems you like a clean, contemporary look with some interesting features, such as the tile in the bathroom.

For the children's bathroom, a counter that will withstand spills is a great idea.

Have you thought about Corian?

As for the floor tiles, what color towels will you have there?

Also, slip resistance is important on the bathroom floor and in the shower.

It would be nice if the floor tile and shower floor tile and shower wall somewhat coordinate.

The tiles you have shown us, are they just for the bathroom floor?

What have you picked for the shower floor?

What have you picked for the shower wall?

1 Like Save    
Tanya

Hello.
Your house is beautiful, you did an amazing job on the spaces you refinished. For this bathroom I would stay away from the encaustic tile. Those gray penny tiles are perfect. I would use them on the shower floor and in shower niche. On shower walls I would stick with a white subway, you could maybe do one with a beveled edge. On the floor I’d do a 12x24 in a soft gray, maybe lightest tone in the penny tile. It is hard to see the counter top, but it seems pretty standard and looks fine. The cost to replace it could go towards upgraded fixtures instead. Good luck with your project.

1 Like Save    
Kelly c

Not sure on the color towels yet. The penny tile or the solid white was what we were thinking for the shower floor. But we are open for suggestions. No clue on the shower walls yet

Save    
Kelly c

Perhaps we could try 12x24 on the flooring one of the lightest shades in the penny tile

Save    
Kelly c

Maybe one of these for the walls

1 Like Save    
Tanya

I have a 12x24 light gray kinda marbled effect tile in on of my bathrooms. It is really pretty but also takes a backseat and allows other features to be the focal point in the room.

1 Like Save    
Tanya

I love the white subway one in the picture all by itself. I also really love that dark gray/ black one but water spots would drive me crazy

1 Like Save    
felizlady

I love the pennyrounds.

Save    
acm

I think the patterned tile would be great on the floor, like you did in the powder room. Then white, oversized tile on the shower walls, with one accent (either a vertical band or a niche) to recap the blue. Use a shower pan, or find a lighter blue penny tile to harmonize with the floor tile.

12"x12.63" Penny Porcelain Mosaic Floor/Wall Tile, Ocean Blue · More Info

12"x12.63" Penny Porcelain Mosaic Tiles, Set of 10, Light Blue · More Info

Bliss 0.6"x0.6" Ceramic Mosaic Tile, Gray · More Info

Tilebar has a bunch of options too.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

Tasha, are you going to pander every few hours on this post? once is fine. That's not what we do here. we offer advice. if the OP wants further help, I'm sure she knows how to message you.

Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

Kelly, I really like this choice

do the pennies for the shower floor, the other tile for the bathroom floor, and then do a plain white 4x12 subway tile (in a stacked pattern) for the walls.

You want to keep that rather simple since you have the other two. (on this one I did the client wanted the decorative tiles on the back wall. the other flooring is very neutral and simple. )

if you're doing a niche, pick one of the two decorative tiles for that.

for fixtures, do a one valve, that has the option for the handheld. (rather than two valves) this valve is Kohler Purist. (Amazon. ) do it for the sink too

lighting? can't really see what the mirror wall looks like. what kind of lights do you like? for that size you could do a double, or a smaller triple light

another one I did that shows a softer blue/gray 4x12 tile, and a charcoal herringbone porcelain floor

the outer floor was a charcoal 12x24 porcelain tile in somewhat of a matte finish. above the vanity the client tiled the wall in the same marble that's in the niche.

wall tile

matches your vanity

1 Like Save    
claire larece

Hi Kelly,

I would make it fun not too colorful but with shapes that kids like.

Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

claire,,,where have you been!? everything ok?

Save    
claire larece

Or this kind of tile

Hi Beth, I just lost my mom 4 months ago and I’m taking care of my dad. How are you guys doing?

5 Likes Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

oh Claire, i'm so sorry hon! been down that road about 10 years ago, so I can empathize. My dad was so lost w/o her.

Same ol' same ol around here!

(kelly, sorry for the hijack!)

post another pic of the vanity area when you can

2 Likes Save    
Design Girl

Be careful of using a textured tile on the wall. I can only imagine cleaning something like the wavy white one you posted and what kind of gunk could get in those groves. Better with the bevel, but still more difficult to clean, especially for a kids bath. I'm not a fan of the encaustic patterned tile either. You've already got in on the floor of your powder room and for me that would be enough. imo, it's overdone and in every flip house you see on HGTV. I like the penny tile but make sure you have someone that knows how to offset them or you will be looking at squares of penny rounds that will drive you crazy. The vanity and top look fine. Is there a window in the room (I don't see one?). If not, I'd go lighter for the tile choices.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

design girl, it's not cement, it's a porcelain tile that looks like encaustic.

but I do agree with you, since the one bathroom is already done with it, maybe go for something a bit different.

Kelly, actually, on second look here, I don't care for that patterned floor tile either. and now that I see it next to the penny, I think both are too busy.

Can you stand a whole bunch of pictures and examples? There are so many great options, I couldn't resist. What I posted works w/your ideas, but a few others go in a different direction. If anything is unclear (because I did somewhat jump around!) let me know.

Let me show you an example of multiple shape tiles.

(this is from the Lili website where I linked it below to the Terrazzo tile). This white tile layout is a vertical stack with a dark gray grout. (i'd use a light gray or white) but notice how the pattern tile on the outside goes w/the smaller hex inside. the colors compliment w/o competing. this example is with a large hex shape, but same thing stands for the cement-look tiles or anything else.

They also had this one in their gallery. Similar vanity color like you have, but look what they did w/the tile colors and patterns.

I don't think the patterned tiles are bad. Just because you see them done on HGTV doesn't mean they're out of date! You just have to pick the right design and compliments to it.

what if you did something a bit different for this bathroom? it's still a bit modern, but it's not overdone.

The new thing (well, not new, but new again!) are the Terrazzo tiles. they come in a porcelain and the sizes can be large or small. see the speckled floor tiles above? something like that.

For the shower walls, this is still a larger subway tile, but it's a vertical stack offset layout. Cool looking eh?

check out this tile (24x24 on Wayfair. and it's porcelain) for the outside floor,

Or, on the inside accent wall, and paired w/the poseidon porcelain decorative tile you like

Comes in a white too

So if you removed the small backsplash behind your sink, you could do the tile wall just like this (or in that vertical offset layout. either one looks cool) And then bring in a black mirror and hardware.

Here's a vanity your color w/the black frame mirror and faucet. (ignore the light!)

Here are a bunch of other options

What if you did this lighter (Somer penny round) on the back wall, and did this cute, larger format accent tile for the other walls? (penny for the floor too) Or you could stick w/a plain white or gray tile.

See the larger white tile on the fixture wall? something in that size, if you like.

This is a Porcelain tile in a large hex pattern. looks like cement.

and basically looks like this once laid. (this one has the larger shower tiles on the wall)

they've continued it into the shower, but you can pick another smaller tile. This tile would also be cool as an accent tile on the back wall. on the other two walls you do the stacked white subway tile like the very first pic in my first comment.

this one is very vibrant , but use your imagination and just picture it without the bathtub, white subway stacked tiles on the other walls, and perhaps more of a solid floor tile.

(or you could just continue w/this one on the floor. It's a matte finish so it's perfectly safe for the shower floor) Trying to give you some visuals so you can see the diff options.

want something more black/white like your samples? here's the wavy tile. (and no, this isn't difficult to clean. it's smooth and glossy. there aren't grooves to trap any scum or dirt. it cleans just like a regular tile would clean.

as for the black tile, it's an oversized Picket. This is kind of a cool look.

Instead of the darker pennies you got, I like this shade better. Especially w/the black tile. Merola (or Somer Tile) Penny in Grey Eye.

The niche is done beautifully here. notice the white quartz shelf, and how they bordered the entire niche with it. easy to keep clean and better for water-proofing.

If you do plan on doing something decorative and bolder in the shower, then just stick w/the penny on the outside floor like shown here. (this is just a solid gray. The Somer Tile option would give you more variation)

BTW, this is an excellent job of laying this penny tile. you don't see any square 'grid marks'. So make sure the tile guy staggers the sheets so you don't get obvious border lines.

this is the layout I meant. see the stacked white tiles? Then that back wall you could do in the decorative porcelain tiles.

found these Cement terrazzo tiles with Mother of Pearl! These are so pretty. (this is the Lili link I got those pics from, above)

they have this gray option w/the blue gray aggregate, or they have a blue gray tile.

https://lilitile.com/shop/Mother-of-Pearl-Terrazzo-8-x-8-Cement-Tile-p140814058/

these would look great on the bathroom floor and stay in style for a long time. These would need to be sealed well since they are cement.

Save    
acm

I just bumped across this, which would feel monochromatic while introducing a little whimsy...

Moonstone Hexagon Porcelain Floor/Wall Tile, Melange Gray, Sample Card, 3"x4" · More Info

1 Like Save    
claire larece

Beth,

My dad is lost without her too. Everyday he’s asking for her. He’s been with her since childhood. It gets frustrating

Save    
Kelly c

Design girl i think you nailed it on every single point you made

1 Like Save    
Kelly c

This is a VERY small bathroom. The mirror is not staying and the counter top can be returned to Home Depot. I will measure everything tomorrow

Save    
Kelly c

I’m not in love with anything so far

Save    
claire larece

Ok how about these together

1 Like Save    
thinkdesignlive

I also agree with Design Girl's advice - and I'd add to settle on your countertop first and then it will be easier to settle on final tile selections. I love the penny tile for both the shower floor and the floor of the room IF you have an excellent installer AND you find a sill that doesn't compete with it and it all works with the countertop selection (a solid white quartz would be my vote if you stayed with the penny tile). For a windowless bath you can't go wrong with lots of layered light so dimmable recessed ceiling and sconces or LED mirrors would be the ticket.

1 Like Save    
Kelly c

No window. The room is super dark.

Save    
claire larece

How about using the penny tiles with another shade to make your own pattern for the walls or not and us 12x24 carrera tiles for the floor.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
MacAnson Construction is a family business with the unique ability to be both the designer & builder. Our goal is... Read More