How Trump could lose but remain president

Joaniepoanie

This is nothing short of chilling, but we know Trump and Barr are capable of anything.

https://www.newsweek.com/how-trump-could-lose-election-still-remain-president-opinion-1513975

SaveComment36Like1
Comments (36)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nana H

Sadly it wouldn't surprise me one little bit. I truly hope that the battleground States results are definitive for Biden and not the narrow margins Trumps won them by. A Democratic landslide would be nice but I don't see that happening........yet.

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

Ridiculous, of course—it’s a democrat view.

2 Likes Save    
Lulu Smith

Ah ha!!! Now we just have to wait for the final word on the grassy knoll. Will be just as rational.

No conspiracy hunters here.

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Guess Trumpers forget how trump was calling the 2016 election rigged....until he “won.” He’s saying the same now, is he not?

7 Likes Save    
lurker111

2016 was rigged. They just didn't rig it enough.

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Yeah...rigged for Trump.

6 Likes Save    
mudhouse

It seems to me that the Democrats have been setting up a narrative for quite a while to discredit the results of any election that doesn't result in a loss for Trump. They did the same thing after Trump won in 2016, by insisting the popular vote is a more legitimate way to choose a president.

Setting that aside, as an attempt at a bipartisan comment, am I the only one that finds it generally depressing that our country is unlikely to be able to agree on whatever our election results are? I'm bracing for the arguments, accusations and fistfights.

4 Likes Save    
sushipup1

As I've been saying, who needs elections when you can have martial law.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Just a reminder: During Obama's terms in office, all sorts of rumors were spread around Repub. circles warning about all the ways Obama would "corrupt" the system so that he could get a third term. Some of those rumors even suggested that Obama might want that 3rd term to stretch on indefinitely--for life!

Moral of the story? that the party out of power will always suspect the party in power of wanting to retain its hold on that power--by hook or by crook?

Kate

3 Likes Save    
Lulu Smith

Michelle 2024

Save    
lurker111

It's about time for another police action in this country. There will be a civil war without the police. The left is already in full attack mode.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

I’d say it’s the GOP in full attack mode. They don’t even try to hide it anymore. Not to mention they have done NOTHING about Russian interference, which we know took place in 2016. Gee, wonder why that is.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/18/republicans-devote-20m-and-50000-people-into-efforts-to-restrict-voting

5 Likes Save    
chisue

Radio news this morning said the national guard called to clear Trump's path to hold up a Bible had zero crowd control training...and were issued bayonettes for the event.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

We keep asking ourselves why the GOP seems to unconcerned about what is going on, Perhaps this is why. The fix is in and the GOP doesn't have to worry since they are assured a win regardless of how people vote.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

It seems to me that the Democrats have been setting up a narrative for quite a while to discredit the results of any election that doesn't result in a loss for Trump.

Do you really believe this? Especially since it's Trump who has been calling into question the results of the election? Jeeesh!

4 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Just like clockwork.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. Trump won't leave office!

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Just like clockwork: If Trump wins, the Dems. will lead an insurrection to force him out of office.

Works both ways, adopted?

Kate

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

jerzeegirl: Do you really believe this? Especially since it's Trump who has been
calling into question the results of the election? Jeeesh!

Yes, I believe the Dems have been setting up a narrative for quite a while to discredit the results of any election that doesn't result in a loss for Trump. It took no time at all to come up with these articles in the first few pages of a search; I could find many more.

Trump begged China for help to rig the election https://www.politicususa.com/2020/06/17/trump-china-election.html

Protect our votes: Trump and the GOP take new steps to rig the 2020 election https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/5/22/1943983/-Protect-Our-Votes-Trump-and-the-GOP-Take-New-Steps-to-Rig-the-2020-Election

Trump moves openly to steal the election https://www.salon.com/2020/05/21/trump-moves-openly-to-steal-the-election-democrats-should-impeach-him-again/

Trump could try to rig the 2020 elections https://www.truthdig.com/articles/robert-reich-trump-could-try-to-rig-the-2020-elections/

The Trump campaign signaled they will cheat in the 2020 election
https://washingtonmonthly.com/2020/02/05/the-trump-campaign-signaled-that-they-will-cheat-in-the-2020-election/

Voter purges: are Republicans trying to rig the 2020 election? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/31/voter-purges-republicans-2020-elections-trump

Trump is using the presidency to rig the 2020 election https://theweek.com/articles/867232/trump-using-presidency-rig-2020-election

Donald Trump tries to rig the election
https://www.thegazette.com/subject/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/donald-trump-tries-to-rig-the-election-20200527

As I posted above, I don't think either side will end up agreeing on the results of the election. The accusations are going to be coming from both sides by the time we get to November, and beyond.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

That Dems. fear the tactics of Repubs. and write about them does not mean they are "setting up a narrative" as part of a plot to prepare to take over our government.

Perhaps consider that Dems. are writing about tactics they fear Repubs will resort to just because they are worried and want to be aware and prepared to stop a Repub. coup, if it should start to go down --because the Repubs. lost the election!

Kate

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Kate, both sides can say they're writing about the tactics they fear the other side will resort to, in order to win.

It's all a matter of perspective. The Newsweek article authors portray a Republican attempt to organize poll watchers as a plot to challenge citizens' right to vote on election day. Republicans would say it's an attempt to prevent voter fraud perpetrated by Dems at the polls to illegally influence final vote counts.

Who you believe just depends on which side of the political fence you're on. At this point, I think the distrust is just baked in the cake for the 2020 election.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I hope Mudhouse is wrong but I fear she is right. The only thing that might change that is a landslide win for the Dems which brings clear control of the House, Senate and WH.

2 Likes Save    
Lulu Smith

As the mayor of Chicago used to say, Vote Early and Vote Often

https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/classes/hmc.cs070.200401/votequote.html

3 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I agree about the mutual distrust, but I think we (both sides) should be careful that we do not claim that the other side definitely is planning an illegal coup. That is pretty extreme.

And we should be sure that we have actual RELIABLE evidence to back any claims we make.

For instance, my research has always indicated that there is little or no voter fraud going on at the polls and that Dems. are no more prone to commit voter fraud than are Repubs. Therefore, I'm puzzled why you (or other Repub.) would suggest that extra poll watchers are needed to catch Dems. cheating in large numbers in order to "win" the election fraudulently. I see no evidence anywhere that such a possibility exists or is being planned to any degree.

Kate

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

I have always been an independent voter and voted not for any party but the person that I thought was the best for the position. Some people on here will remember that I mentioned this possibility last year way before the various news articles were produced. All I had to do was look at what steps were taken in other countries for a person elected or appointed remained in office when they should have stepped down. Only thing that has changed in this country is the virus. If more people start dying and little or nothing is done there will be more calls for Trump and some of his followers to resign. At that time it will be seen if the virus will be used as an excuse to prevent the election and toss aside the Constitutional rules for President.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

The virus being used as "an excuse to prevent the election and toss aside the Constitutional rules for President"--that would, indeed, be time for civil war.

Not that I don't think Trump might be inclined to do such a thing, but I do believe that even Repubs., as well as the military, would balk, mightily, at such an attempt!

Kate

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

I hope Mudhouse is wrong but I fear she is right. The only thing that might change that is a landslide win for the Dems which brings clear control of the House, Senate and WH.

Nana, just curious; should I take this to mean that a landslide win for the Republicans with clear control of the House, Senate, and WH would not work against a general distrust of the election results?

And if so, why would a landslide for the Dems be generally more believable than a landslide for the Republicans?

(I said "generally," because of course there will be individuals on both sides that will never be convinced results are valid if their side loses. I'm more interested in scenarios regarding a broader cross section of the country.)

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

For instance, my research has always indicated that there is little or no voter fraud going on at the polls and that Dems. are no more prone to commit voter fraud than are Repubs.

Well, my memory is, we've had lots of threads on the topic of voter fraud, and which side is more likely to commit it, and I don't recall any consensus on the point. :-)

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Mudhouse . my thinking is not very complicated and does not assume rigging on either side,

A landslide Democratic win would simply mean that there weren't very many people left to be in a Trump "it was rigged" camp. They would still be loud and claim all sorts of things but their numbers would be relatively insignificant....remember I said landslide.

My comment is based on how things stand now and while I am far from certain there will be a Democratic landslide I'm dead certain there won't be a Republican one. Things could change but for now I see no way the Republicans gain back the House and keeping the Senate is far from guaranteed. The WH is up for grabs in my view...but no GOP landslide in sight..least not in my sight.

Save    
KarenS, NYC

It's all a load of semi-hysterical fear mongering, on both sides. What a waste of time & breath.

The 'no police' concept is also BS. Look up the terms defund police. It doesn't mean get rid of them completely.

It means reapportion some of their Budgets so maybe there might be others, like social workers, not cops to deal w/ the mentally or what's called EDP (emotionally disturbed persons), so they are removed in less violent ways, maybe not tasered to death, as some have been when their families have called for assistance w/ a troubled person.

Maybe more monies apportioned to education & after school programs to help keep kids out of gangs, stuff like that.

Better police training like in de-escalation tactics & in talking things down w/out violence.

For example. 3 yrs. ago, an SUV knocked me off my bike in a big intersection. I was very lucky not to be run over. I stood up, picked up the bike & seeing that, the guy who almost ran me over took off.

I called police who came & I asked to file a Police Report, but declined medical assistance. The Cop asked again, I declined again. The 3rd time I declined medical assistance, the Cop threatened to charge me w/ Fraud (like maybe insurance fraud?) I had to inform this Fool that I had a legal right to refuse medical attention, at which point he backed down.

He didn't seem to understand that I needed to file a Police Report to memorialize the incident in case I had some medical problem that wasn't immediately apparent. The woman cop w/ him was utterly useless, she spent her time trying to defuse & calm her colleague, before he made things worse.

We have to have better trained cops than that, disgraceful morons.

Let's pls worry more abt what's going on now w/ Cornona virus, & later abt what will or won't happen politically.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Ridiculous, of course—it’s a democrat view.

Yeah, you say that today but if it happens then what will you be saying?

Save    
mudhouse

Thanks for the reply Nana.

I don't have a crystal ball about how the election will play out, but I have too great a sense of deja vu in terms of dire poll predictions to be worried about Trump's odds at this point. Lots of time between now and November, and if there's anything 2020 has taught us, it's that things can change completely very quickly, because of unpredictable events. I have a strong hunch that many Trump voters won't line up to cooperate with pollsters; I'm pretty certain of that.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

2016 was different. Trump didn't have a record, there was no pandemic, he wasn't holding rallies against the best advice of all medical experts and scientists. He was coalescing a base but now he his dividing a country. There is a huge difference between then and now.

In 2016 he was an idea...in 2020 he is a reality and right now it isn't a very good one in the opinion of most. He may win. I am not convinced he won't BUT I can not imagine it will be anything more than a slim margin again. The Dems on the other hand could pull of a total upset...not because they are wonderful but because , in the eyes of most Trump is that bad.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"If Trump wins, the Dems. will lead an insurrection to force him out of office. Works both ways, adopted?"

What worked?

Donald Trump is still president, and running circles around the Dem's fossilized candidate.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Really? His numbers are way down, laughable rally turnout, is doing nothing about Covid except causing more cases and deaths, sides with putin re bounty killers of our military, and the economy is tanked. Sounds more like running IN circles.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

The Newsweek article authors portray a Republican attempt to organize poll watchers as a plot to challenge citizens' right to vote on election day

This has happened before -- specifically in Arizona and William Rehnquist was one of the GOP operatives intimidating Latinx at the polls.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/08/04/us/rehnquist-in-arizona-a-militant-conservative-in-60-s-politics.html

Save    
maifleur03

Earlier this year on my governor's fb page people were mentioning that they were ready to guard the polls with their guns to make certain that it was a free election. Problem with that is many would look at the number with guns in hand and never vote. Which may be the real reason for guarding the polling places.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Survey: Livability Trumps Home Value
Increasing home value comes in a distant second among those planning home improvements. Many plan to do some of the work themselves
Full Story
Housekeeping How to Clean Your Fridge, Inside and Out
Keep your refrigerator clean and fresh, while you gain storage space and lose those ‘UFOs’
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: From Burned Down to Done Up in Las Vegas
A fire gutted this midcentury home — and laid the groundwork for a beautiful new floor plan
Full Story