SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutplants

WWYD? Best housekeeper left and returned. Go back to her or not?

nutsaboutplants
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My housekeeper of many years — and really the *best* I’ve ever had in 30 years — left the state about a year ago. I was devastated, but went with my friend’s housekeeper. Let’s call the one that left Lisa and new one Nikki, for ease of reference. Very selfishly, I really would like to switch back to Lisa, but I’m also hesitant to let Nikki, a perfectly decent housekeeper, go.

Question: Should I stay with Nikki or go back to Lisa? Some background information and a few factors to consider:

Until Lisa started working for me, I couldn’t even have imagined that a housekeeper could help me in all the ways she did, even without being asked. We did take care of her very well for all the extra things she did, but the point is that I wouldn’t have thought a housekeeper would meet so many needs. For instance, when DH and I traveled, she would keep an eye on DS (who’s mildly autistic and therefore hard for us to leave without worrying). When all three of us traveled, she would house-sit for us and take care of the cats. When I broke my ankle and was hobbling on a scooter, the tenants of one of our rental houses vacated. I wouldn’t have been able to go check the condition of the house. She went, made a list of problem spots and took pictures. Whenever she house-sat for us, I‘d return from our travels to discover some wonderful thing she had done. For instance, once she had completely organized all our closets when she house-sat. I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

Nikki, the new lady, is good and thorough but is just a housekeeper. She has a large family and I wouldn’t even ask her to do the various things Lisa did.

Now, a few concerns with Lisa, the perfect housekeeper. She’s 72 (but much more energetic and limber than most 60 year-olds I know). And this is the second time she stopped working for her families.The first time was a few years ago, and the reason was so vague that I don’t even remember. She was still around in the same city, and came back to work in 2 months.

The second time she left, she actually left the state. She is very religious and all of a sudden, she dropped by one evening when I returned from work and said the Lord told her she’s needed in another state 2 time zones away. (Please, I respect her faith and it’s not about that, it’s just that it was a very sudden decision that nobody saw coming.)

She was very happy in her new state and then COVID happened. Long story short, she’s back in town. Even before she left and came back, I had been telling her that she needs to hire one or two more people to work with her so that she doesn’t have to do strenuous physical work at her age. But she always laughs it off, and with good reason, because of her energy and vitality.

So, with all this long-winded explanation, I’d like to get your thoughts on whether I should hire Lisa back. If I do, I’ll make sure I find Nikki other houses to take care of, so that she’s not hurting for work. I have a cordial relationship with Nikki, paid her during covid even when she wasn’t working. I won’t go back to Lisa unless I feel I’ve taken care of Nikki. It’s just that Lisa can make decisions for herself, rearrange things for a better flow, make suggestions for improvements and take care of a variety of things.

So, what would you do and why? Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)