Alabama, What’s with these Covid party pay outs?

tryingtounderstand

There are no words, beyond reckless, selfish, narcissistic, criminal, stupidity...

Some young people in Alabama are throwing COVID-19 parties, a disturbing competition where people who have coronavirus attend and the first person to get infected receives a payout, local officials said.

The parties are being held in Tuscaloosa, and infected people are urged to attend so others can intentionally contract the virus, City Council member Sonya McKinstry told CNN. She said she heard about the trend from fire officials.

"We thought that was kind of a rumors at first. We did some research, not only do the doctors' offices confirm it, but the state confirmed they also had the same information," she said.

During a presentation to the City Council this week, Fire Chief Randy Smith also said young people in the city are throwing parties with a payout if they catch coronavirus, McKinstry said.

The first person confirmed by a doctor to have coronavirus after the exposure wins the money made off the ticket sales, she said. Over the past few weeks, there have been several parties in the city and surrounding areas, and probably more that officials don't know about, she added.

"It makes me furious," McKinstry said. "Furious to the fact that something that is so serious and deadly is being taken for granted. Not only is it irresponsible, but you could contract the virus and take it home to your parents or grandparents."

The city is working on getting the word out and breaking up such parties. It also passed a mask ordinance this week that goes into effect Monday.

"This is not political. This is a public health issue. People are dying and there is no cure. We have to do whatever we can to save as many lives as possible, McKinstry said.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/people-in-alabama-are-throwing-covid-19-parties-with-a-payout-when-one-gets-infected-official-1.5007903

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deegw

I would bet that most of these kids are hearing at home and from others in authority that covid-19 is no big deal. And now they are taking what they've heard to the next level and adding reckless teenage behavior.

You reap what you sow.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
Nana H

This just shows the total lack of leadership. The grown ups need to speak up.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
mudhouse

Just a heads up.

This article traces the history of these repeated stories about "Covid Parties" and says time and time again, they've proven to be untrue. But they keep getting repeated by CNN, the New York Post, the AP and others. It lists a number of previous versions of the same story, in various locations across the country, since March. It also details how they've later been withdrawn by the sources that started the stories flowing in the media.
https://www.wired.com/story/covid-parties-are-not-a-thing/

'Covid Parties' Are Not a Thing

The latest version of the tale, from Alabama, follows the same pattern as the others. It appears to be the product of a weird game of telephone mixed with loose talk from public officials and disgracefully sloppy journalism. On Tuesday, Tuscaloosa fire chief Randy Smith told the city council that his department had heard about parties “where students or kids would come in with known positives.” It sounded like just a rumor, Smith said, but “not only did the doctors’ offices help confirm it, but the state also confirmed they had the same information.”

...The Alabama Department of Health responded with a statement that it “has not been able to verify such parties have taken place.” It’s not even clear that the fire chief had it right about kids going to parties while knowing they were sick. (The Tuscaloosa Fire Department did not reply to a request for comment, either.) But that didn’t stop the dog pile of national media outlets repeating and amplifying the Covid betting-pot story as if it were fact.

If you read the article, you'll see it's not written by a Trump-supporting author. I think news outlets jump at the chance for these stories because they know there's a ready audience.

Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
deegw

If you read the article, you'll see it's not written by a Trump-supporting author

------------------------

This isn't an anti-Trump story. It's an anti-stupid story.

It's also being reported on FOX and on VOA.

My kids were Greek at SEC schools. The story may not be true but, trust me, the notion is not far-fetched.

1 Like Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
mudhouse

When it comes to choosing stories they think will get eyeballs (which means dollars) Fox is no different from any of the others. Today's mainstream media is mostly geared towards marketing stories to all of us, and I think that's a good thing to keep in mind. It's just the way it is now.

The truth is bad enough as it is, without the 'covid party' elaboration. A few months ago, young people in my own city gathered at the city limits for a group photo. Then went on to social media to make the point that they were young, could care less about Covid19, and wouldn't follow the state's stay at home public health order. Others are gathering for events, in violation of orders. (And some are gathering to protest, as we've noted.)

But the author makes a pretty good case that a proven instance of 'covid parties,' with people buying tickets and winning a prize by being the first to get sick has yet to be documented.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Thanks for sharing that. I was already skeptical of the story.

ohiomom

Only one I know for a fact having Covid19 parties is President Tweety. Who wants to join Herman?

3 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
Stan Areted

Fake news never gives facts or details, names, places, corroboration.

Fakety fake fake.

elvis

I was unaware of this thread till now. Well, I got suckered on the new thread about the "covid party" patient.

daisychain01

Well, when I think back to university dorm life and opening a friend's closet to find it stuffed full of old soda bottles full of dark yellow liquid (including some teetering on the edge of the top shelf), and more recently hearing of daring others (and I think they did it?) to eat Tide pods, is it any wonder that some of us are suckered by these stories? I won't admit to being that dumb, but I sure knew a lot of young people of whom I would have to say, "wouldn't surprise me".

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Data Watch: What’s Great, and What’s Not, About a Smaller Home
Houzz asked more than 200 U.S. homeowners about life in 1,000 square feet or less. Here’s what they said
Full Story
Architecture States of Style: Alabama’s Icons Leave Their Mark
In the first of a new series, discover the natural beauty, the architectural icons and some of our favorite homes deep in the heart of Dixie
Full Story
Moving Houzz Call: What’s Your Best Downsizing Tip?
Deciding what to say goodbye to can be hard, which is why we want to hear your hard-won wisdom. Please share your advice
Full Story