MSI Calacatta Monaco - does anyone have this? It's a new color. TIA

jbelke

Trying to decide between this and Laza for my island...

SaveComment67Like
Comments (67)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joanelang

I was just looking at that. I personally love the Monaco, its has undertones and the subtle lines is great for a big island. The Laza is so popular but I am not sure I like all of the movement.

1 Like Save    
Angela Chalupsky

Hello, if you’re doing the Calacatta Monaco for your island. What will you do for perimeter? Wondering because we are also looking at the Monaco. Soo pretty.

Save    
joanelang

I was going to do the perimeter with the Monaco too and the kitchen island charcoal grey cabinets. I did think about adding the MSI dark grey quartz on the perimeter but not sure yet. I just put the Monaco on reserve. It’s so popular too and hard to find in stock.

Save    
Angela Chalupsky

What did you end up going with? We are thinking about doing Monaco. What did you do for a backsplash?

1 Like Save    
jksjkc

We just put Calacatta Monaco in our new renovation home and I am beyond amazed at how beautiful it is. I am so pleased with my choice. It looks the most like real marble and instead of having a flat white background it has some depth of white tones. The stone installers all said it was the most they'd ever seen quartz look like marble.

Save    
Nitara Layton

Thanks so much for sharing this. I would love to see a photo, if possible?

1 Like Save    
jksjkc

Lighting is bad but here are photos. I suggest going to see the slab. The results were stunning. I have white cabinets. I don't think these photos give it justice. It is more beautiful in person. I reads white but as you get close you can see more of the undertones and light grey veining.

3 Likes Save    
jksjkc

@Nitara Layton Are you able to see the photos?

1 Like Save    
Angela Chalupsky

Looks amazing! What will you do for backsplash?

Save    
Nitara Layton

@jksjkc thank you! This is so helpful - it’s beautiful. I’m also doing white cabinets and will go see a slab this weekend 😊

1 Like Save    
jksjkc

@Angela Chalupsky Thank you! It's a work in progress. I ordered Bedrosian Cloe tile in white with bright white grout. It was a hard decision as I didn't know if I should go with something shaded or clean white subway tile. My kitchen is still in production as there are a lot of delays due to the pandemic but the shelves surrounding my hood are going to be white oak so everyone in my household voted on the Cloe tile because it added some dimension. There's also 120-year-old built-in hutch in the home and I've decided to take the tile in the back of the hutch as well.

My hardware is on back order as are my appliances. I decided to do unlacquered brass mission pulls from Rejuvenation.

2 Likes Save    
jksjkc

@Nitara Layton It was tough picking the Calacatta Monaco because nowhere on the internet had photos besides that stock photo from MSI. I think it's much less trendy looking than the other Calacatta quartz. I really wanted honed marble but I cook way too much with lemon, tomato and wine, everyone talked me out of it. We looked at several different stone yards and this kept coming back to us as the closest to real marble. Let me know what you choose.

1 Like Save    
sshep8

@jksjkc Your pictures are stunning! Thank you so much for sharing. I just went to look at slabs and Monaco is the way we're going as well. So excited as I've been searching for so long for a real marble-looking quartz. It doesn't look like you've had them for long, but have you had any issues with staining/scratching?

1 Like Save    
jksjkc

@sshep8 Thank you. hey were installed only days ago and we don't live there yet. No experience yet in use. Excited to see your progress.

Save    
joanelang

Omg! Jksjkc! I am getting my Monaco today and the backsplash is the Cleo in white grout!! I agree it was hard to pick the Monaco without a lot pics in the internet but in person, it was just so beautiful. I will post pictures as soon as it is installed.

3 Likes Save    
jksjkc

That is so exciting! I can't wait to see it. What color did you decide for hardware?

Save    
joanelang

I went with a champagne bronze from top knobs. It’s pretty simple but nice.

Save    
joanelang

I have been meaning to send you pictures with the Monaco. It’s hard to tell in detail what it looks like but I do love it!

1 Like Save    
Nancy

@joanelang I love your kitchen! Are your cabinets a true white or are they more cream?

Save    
Nancy

@jksjkc I’m leaning towards Monaco too. Do you think it leans cool or warm? I’ve read it listed both ways. Are your cabinets a true white or more off white?

Save    
jackson28

Following. Also leaning towards Monaco.

Save    
sshep8

We used MSI Monaco in our kitchen and master bathroom. We are very happy with how they turned out! I only have pics of the bathroom at the moment. Vanity is closer to true white.

3 Likes Save    
joanelang

Mine are painted a BM Heron White! A true white!

1 Like Save    
Nancy

@sshep8 Thank you so much for the pictures. Your bathroom is gorgeous..I love your backsplash! We’re getting the Monaco for our kitchen so, if possible, I’d love to see the pictures of your kitchen too.

Save    
Nancy

@joanelang Thank you for your response! I’m so nervous..I’m hoping the white cabinets we picked aren’t too white for the Monaco..

Save    
Chelsea A

The Monaco looks beautiful in your kitchens! Question for those that have it installed, does your slab have lots of white splotches all over the quartz? I’m trying to understand if they are supposed to be there to create character or if we got a bad slab.. please advise, thanks so much! @sshep8 @joanelang @jksjkc

Save    
sshep8

@Chelsea A - I have subtle white marks on mine. I tried to take a few pics but the lighting is terrible (circled a few in red). Are these what you’re referring to? I hardly notice them.

Save    
joanelang

I have them too. I think it’s part of the quartz.

Save    
Chelsea A

@joanelang @sshep8 Thanks! Mine are very big and all over the place

Save    
Chelsea A

From everything I’ve read it isn’t supposed to look like this... the electrician thought someone spilled white paint all under the sealant. Guessing maybe I got a bad slab. So bummed but appreciate you confirming that the white is supposed to be subtle and not this pronounced!

1 Like Save    
mruch24

I looked at Monaco yesterday for the second time. The slabs I saw had the white splotches as well. Still, the Monaco was great looking.

1 Like Save    
Jade

Following! Monaco is our frontrunner as well, but there are very few pictures online from actual kitchens/bathrooms!

1 Like Save    
Jade

@jksjkc @sshep8 Can I trouble you to share the paint color of your white cabinets?

1 Like Save    
jksjkc

They are Lauriamax cabinets and the color is just called white.

2 Likes Save    
mruch24

I have been looking for over a year. I finally had Calacatta Monaco countertops installed today and I am thrilled with the way they look! Everyone that has stopped over thinks they are natural stone, marble. I saw the white spots that have been mentioned on the warehouse slabs, but I don’t notice any on mine at all. I’ll have to check again tomorrow when it‘s daylight. Either way, I’m happy.

2 Likes Save    
N

Hi, Mrunch24
Can you post photos of your finished countertops?

3 Likes Save    
sshep8

My vanity cabinets are Virtu USA from Home Depot in white. I don’t know the actual paint color but they are very white.

Just an FYI to anyone with Monaco, be very careful with turmeric as it will stain and is a little challenging to get up. This is the only substance so far that I have found to be a pain.

3 Likes Save    
rshogan4567

We just decided on the Calacatta Monaco for our countertops and working on selecting the backsplash. @jksjkc @joanelang can you post a close up photo of your countertop with your backsplash?

3 Likes Save    
jksjkc

I'm at work but I can send later.

1 Like Save    
HU-516748939

What wall color are people using with the Monaco?

Save    
joanelang

Here is the closeup of my backsplash. It’s got variation of white, off white and gray tiles. My walls are Revere Pewter and that flows into my family room color.

3 Likes Save    
HU-516748939

That looks nice. I like the color variation.

Save    
Patti Miller

I am going to the MSI warehouse soon but...I was in a kitchen design center today and the guy tells me he quit carrying MSI because the time to get slabs was terrible. Then he said his fabricators said their quartz was a lot of fill (like powder). I LOVE their colors...has anyone had difficulty with MSI counters?

Save    
Jade

@Patti Miller I cannot speak to the quality (our countertops are not in yet) but we selected MSI Calacatta Monaco and our slabs were on site with the fabricator within 2 weeks of the order.

1 Like Save    
rshogan4567

Thanks for posting @joanelang. I really like the color variation.

Save    
rhonda2227

@joanelang Is this the backsplash with the Monaco? I am torn between the Valentin (Monacos warmer toned sister) and the Monaco. Sounds like you are happy with the Monaco.

Save    
rhonda2227

@jksjkc Your kitchen is beautiful!

I am looking at the Monaco and the Valentin. I've only seen them in full slab at the warehouse which has horrible lighting. Does your Monaco have hints of warmth here and there or is it more all over gray and bluish tones? The warehouse slab looked like it had mostly gray/blue but every now and then I would see tiny amounts of tan, wondering if it was just the lighting. I had my heart set on the Valentin but in person, the veins are VERY dark and brown, not what I was looking for. Also, what backsplash did you end up doing? Is there a chance you have pictures of the finished kitchen?

Thanks in advance!

Save    
joanelang

My second favorite was Valentin and I was pretty torn between them. Valentin does have more of the brown warm tones but it is very pretty. I ended w the Monaco since I wanted white cabinets. If I went more creamy white, I would have picked the Valentin. The Monaco veins are really gray, I don’t see hints on blue at all. I liked that the quartz wasn’t pure white, which makes it look like marble. The backsplash is Bedrosians Cloe white - but it is a mix of white, grey and off white glaze tile, so it blends so well with the Monaco.

Save    
rhonda2227

@joanelang Thank you so much for the info.! I thought I had everything picked out and this kitchen reno. would be a breeze.....nope!!!!!

Save    
Julie Sabella

@joanelang which grout color did you use? Love your kitchen! We are putting in the Cloe backsplash next week. TIA!

Save    
mruch24

@sshep8 Love your bathroom backsplash. Can you please tell me what is is and where you purchased it? Do you think it would look good for a kitchen backsplash?

Save    
sshep8

Mruch24 Thank you! The tile is Maravilla Bianco Orion Picket Marble Mosaic from Floor and Decor. I am really happy with it. We’re also using it for our kitchen backsplash (with Monaco countertops), though we haven’t gotten to it yet. Hoping to have it installed in a couple of weeks and will post the pics.

Save    
rhonda2227

@jksjkc Do you have updated pics of your kitchen completely finished? I'd love to see what it looks like with the Monaco quartz.

1 Like Save    
rhonda2227

Anyone have recent pictures of their kitchens with Monaco quartz?

1 Like Save    
Jade

@rhonda2227 We are having our cabinets installed now and hoping for countertops in the next couple of weeks. As soon as they are in, I can share a photo. We chose Monaco countertops and our cabinets are painted in BM Chantilly Lace.

2 Likes Save    
rhonda2227

Thank you Jade. Excited to see. I've been looking for countertops for about 2 months or so. Went from quartz to quartzite to marble , back to quartz... back to marble and now back to quartz. I think I keep getting drawn back to the durablitly of quartz after seeing the damage marble can have from scracthing and potential staining. The Etching didnt bother me but scratching from the lightest of objects across the surface had me worried!!

Cant wait to see your Monaco installed!

1 Like Save    
Jade

@rhonda2227 We went back and forth about a million times - it's a hard decision! We finally ruled out marble because of the price point and maintenance/durability, and decided on the monaco quartz for our kitchen and shadow storm quartzite for the bathrooms. I am hopeful that the monaco will look similar to marble when all is said and done!

1 Like Save    
sshep8

@mruch24 here is our completed kitchen with Monaco countertops and Maravilla Bianco Orion Picket backsplash. Still missing the pot filler and floating shelves but finally coming together. We’re very happy with how it came out!

4 Likes Save    
mruch24

@sshep8 Thank you for posting photos. Your kitchen turned out so beautiful! I really like how your backslash looks as well. Your cabinets don’t appear to be a brighter white. They look great. What color are they? My next purchase is a Viking!

Save    
sshep8

@mruch24 Thank you! The cabinets are from CliqStudios, they are the Dayton style in "White". I don't have a specific paint color but they are definitely a creamy off-white.

1 Like Save    
jksjkc

We're still completing the kitchen but here we are this far. Took 9 months to get that stove due to the pandemic. 😜

3 Likes Save    
joanelang

Gorgeous!

1 Like Save    
jksjkc

Sorry I should have posted details. My walls are BM Chantilly Lace, cabinets are Lauriermax shaker inset in white (pure cool white), countertops are MSI Calacatta Monaco, backsplash is Bedrosian Cloe tile with Mepei grout in Avalanche for a cool white/coastal finish.

1 Like Save    
rhonda2227

@jksjkc Kitchen looks gorgeous!! We have been having issues with our kitchen reno also. Things backordered, lots of errors etc. Did you use Top Knobs for hardware? If so, May I ask what your knob is? I almost did those pulls from TK but went with Clarence instead. I am hung up on the knobs..... I don't think I saw this one...... I was going for something simple for the knobs. ARe they the Ellis, Mushroom Knob, or maybe Hollow round knob? Yes, as you can tell I'm driving myself bananas with these awful little details!

1 Like Save    
jksjkc

Thank you. I feel your pain with the non-stop delays.

The knobs are the vernon mushroom cabinet knob in unlacquered brass from Rejuvenation along with the mission drawer pull.

1 Like Save    
rhonda2227

Thank you! I like this. I was debating between a knob like this and another. Now that I see next to the pulls here, I like the lushroom with it more that the one I picked--Opps! Time to switch that out! LOL

Thank you

1 Like Save    
kidd 3333

@jksjkc Your kitchen looks great! I just had my template done today and am looking forward to getting my Monaco counters installed soon! It's great to see how nice they look in all these finished kitchens. Thank you for circling back to post pictures of the finished product.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Quartz vs. Granite: The Battle of the Countertops
Read about the pros and cons — and see great examples — of these popular kitchen countertop materials
Full Story
Most Popular 8 Great Kitchen Cabinet Color Palettes
Make your kitchen uniquely yours with painted cabinetry. Here's how (and what) to paint them
Full Story
My Houzz TV My Houzz: Olivia Munn Thanks Mom With the Kitchen of Her Dreams
The actor hires a design professional to help update the kitchen, living and dining areas
Full Story