SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_289666211

Kitchen Remodel, Drawbacks to losing 1 of 2 Living room doors

P L
3 years ago

We are looking at a full kitchen remodel along with new footprint. We will be combining the current kitchen and the current dining room but the final design is yet to be determined. We have talked to several KDs and have not made our decision on who to go with yet as we like several. Many of them, but not all of them, propose closing up the entryway between the current living room and dining room. This would allow for a nice classic L-shaped kitchen with a big island and maybe sink in the bay window. It would also leave the Living room very isolated as it would only have 1 entryway, right by our front door. While we don’t use the living room all that often outside of entertaining, something about the idea I just don’t like.

Alternatively we can leave the opening to the Living Room from the dining room, maybe shrink it a few inches, and have more of a wide galley kitchen along the two long walls (against the Living Room and Family/Breakfast Room), along with a small island near the bay window. We would be closing the pass through to the current Breakfast Room (new Dining Room), but we don’t really like the pass through feature all that much anyway.

Both options would give us enough space for what we want as far as storage, counters, appliances. The L shape may be slightly more attractive with the sink in the bay window (maybe?) and a larger island

but comes with what I think is a big drawback in isolating the living room. Currently you can walk around the entire main section of the first floor, and while it’s not an open floor plan there is a good flow between all the rooms and spaces.

Curious on people’s thoughts about an isolated front of house living room. We aren’t looking to sell anytime soon, but would that potentially be a turn-off to buyers as it’s a total dead-end room, or is that something that is somehow attractive and I am just not thinking about the possibilities.

Picture of current layout attached.

Comments (20)