SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorikristin77

Outragious pricing for Pella windows?

lorikristin77
3 years ago

I was just quoted $1875/window for Pella Lifestyle series (wood/aluminum clad exterior), to replace windows that are approximately 36 x 58, but also some that are smaller. This is by Pella directly, not a third party (or so he says). The salesman had a Pella truck...

The sill of one of my windows is rotted, but it is a 100 year old home and the windows are about 35 or so years old. I am not shocked that the sill is rotted... But, they are telling me that I have to have the exterior trim removed and they will remove all the rotted wood and then put in a "new construction window", so not a replacement window. They will insulate and then put up new exterior window trim, which will be smooth cedar to match what I have. (There is no clear evidence of rotted wood in the framing around the window and we wouldn't know that until the window is removed.)

The salesman is telling me that if I get replacement windows for my replacement windows, that they are going to put the new windows inside the last replacement window frame. I think this is what he is saying, but he isn't all that clear... Maybe he is saying they will just remove the replacement window and put the new replacement window in where it was, but that that is a bad idea because it's not properly insulated and this configuration will allow water to get to the windows somehow, or the sill... and cause rot or further rot.... I am not sure... This is what I am gathering to be his argument against just getting replacement windows, as opposed to the new construction process that he is recommending.

The salesman was saying that all of my windows were installed incorrectly and this is what needs to be done to correct the issue. I can't figure out how the windows are installed incorrectly... I mean, they are Pella from the 80s, which was when double pane windows just came out. The are aluminum clad wood windows. At some point, a previous owner decided to caulk most of the windows shut. I don't know if this is because they were drafty, but I have to assume that is the case. Regardless, I think it is just the poor quality and age of the windows more than anything. I don't think the installation of the windows caused the sill to rot. My guess is that it was ok when they installed it over 35 years ago and in that time, because many previous owners didn't do any maintenance as far as having it repainted, the sill was exposed to water and rotted....

What do you think? Do you think if I have, from what I can see, one rotted sill, that I need to spend $1875/window to have new construction windows put in, rather than just getting replacement windows, which would cost about $1000/window? (I am getting 9 windows for $16,870.)

Does anyone know what this salesman is talking about? Is this justified, or is he trying to get me to spend an extra $875 for no good reason?

What other brands do you like? I am thinking about Anderson and Marvin now... All I know is that I want to have wood interior windows and no drafts!

Thank you!

Comments (6)