SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

Our wish comes true, more European roses from NIRP through Palatine!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

PalatineRoses will sell NIRP International roses this fall. I have a feeling we'll crash their website in September again, lol. Here is one of their NIRP roses, Romantic Pink. Once I have their full NIRP rose list, I'll post it here. The pic credit is from PalatineRoses. Helen

Comments (168)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    2 years ago

i like this rose - got it as a free rose from Rogue Valley - beautiful deep red. Unfortunately it didnt survive "Snowmageddon" last winter. I would enjoy having it again.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Carol, sorry to hear of stressful rose season, it had been such a hot summer that I imagined your roses were blooming up a storm! Yes, I've made more than my fair share of mistakes with potted plants, often killing with kindness, overwatering, too much fertilizer, etc.! Sorry, I hadn't gotten back regarding your comments on garage overwintering. I think my soil mixture is too heavy and instead I must go lightly on the watering, your mix obviously gives you great results! I currently have so few potted roses that I think I'll just dig deep holes in the dry garden soil and sink them and hill them over very well, we tend to get good snow cover in this region of Alberta in which is of great help.

I really appreciate hearing of the performance of roses and especially of their disease resistance. I'm all surrounded by forest and I guess the humidity is a bit higher with the nearby lowlands and lakes and I tend to have substantial black spot and cercospora disease pressure! Also, dang the pear slugs and saw flies are nasty, summer of '20 they totally defoliated my roses weakening them terribly! This year, I got much more wise and sprayed the buggers before any damage done, nice thing there was only the one cycle and an early autumn hatch that the now cold nights have killed off.

• Related Discussions

Palatine has an agreement to offer a lot more new Tantau roses!!

Q

Comments (33)
    I was tracking down Enchantress, and discovered her more common name is Gartentraume, and she is a garden dream. Sort of like a light pink Augusta Luise. I must have that rose, along with Comtessa, which is like a pale yellow AL. I can just see three of these exquisite roses growing together, AL, Gartentraume, and Comtessa. Aye yi yi. So those three, along with Aquarell are my must haves--along with lots of others, of course. Sorry for this digression, but I'm in the throes of rose lust. Nothing is really getting me excited this spring, except for roses I can't have (yet), and each year in the past, there has been at least one "must have" rose-- or more. But not this year because they are out of reach. Sigh. Diane
    ...See More

Is there a rose that you wish you had more of?

Q

Comments (43)
    Kristine, I have Out of Rosenheim also and it is very healthy and blooms well, but I'm not loving it's shade of red yet...Gonna give it some more time and see what I think. Va Joh, I was just browsing through the forum today and when I saw your mystery rose I immediately thought of my Crimson Bouquet! It is slightly fragrant, but not a very smelly rose by any means. Beautiful disease resistant leaves and easy to care for. The stems can have a darker reddish/purple color that match up and helped me recognize it too. Both of our pictures of the buds look identical. I've had mine in the garden since 2010, and it has always done very well and even landed on the head table at one of the rose shows a few years back. Glad I could help!
    ...See More

Experiences with NIRP Roses?

Q

Comments (59)
    Erasmus - my Gruaud Larose had thrips problems last year (first year rose for me). Not the prettiest rose for me sometimes. I'm hoping this will improve. Sunny - oooh...I love your La Fontaine aux Perles!! She's a big rose, though. :)
    ...See More

Palatine rose list

Q

Comments (179)
    Thank you. Sorry I did not properly separate my thoughts about patents vs trademarks. I mentioned "Askot" because in Help Me Find it's listed with a copyright symbol. On Palatine's website Ascot has a TM symbol. I am trying to find out why Long Ago Roses, Angel Gardens, Freedom Gardens, or Palatine in Canada have to pay royalties (other than it's the right thing to do). Thus why I specified I have not yet researched Ascot/Askot/TAN01757 in Canada, yet. US Patents are only good in the USA: https://www.uspto.gov/ip-policy/ipr-toolkits European Patents are only good in the "Contracting States": https://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resources/pursuing-international-ip-protection/european-patent-office "The United States has copyright relations with most countries throughout the world, and as a result of these agreements, we honor each other's citizens' copyrights. However, the United States does not have such copyright relationships with every country. A listing of countries and the nature of their copyright relations with the United States is available from the U.S. Copyright Office." European Union Unitary Patents is only in 17 countries currently: https://www.ptslaw.com/patent-news/how-will-eus-unitary-patents-affect-u-s-ip-law/ There is some USA legal discussion here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6383512/is-fragrant-masterpiece-patented I have not yet found any patent, copyright, or trademark for Ascot/Askot/TAN01757 in the USA. "...we honor each other's citizens' copyrights" is lovely legally vague wording that means nothing.
    ...See More
  • judijunebugarizonazn8
    2 years ago

My rose wish list just got longer! Though I don't normally go for stripey roses, I really, really want Crazy Fashion! I recently told my children that they never need to wonder what to get me for Mother's Day, my birthday or any other gift...just check my rose wish list.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Amanda - beautiful Roberto Alagna...much nicer bloom than mine. :) :) Too bad about the blackspot...mine never got that, thankfully. I like your Marie Caroline too!! Lots of blooms for a small bush!! :) Oooh!! I like your Rosematic Fuchsia the best!!! Thanks for the photos!

Ben - yes, it was horrible. I didn't realize that it would take some time to fix things, so I kept doing more and more. Blech.

Frozebudd - yes, your way will work well with snow coverage. :) :) You could try what people here in Calgary do...put garbage bags full of leaves around the roses and make a house out of really thick styrofoam to cover the whole lot. My roses never get blackspot. I wonder why yours do? Strange. Thanks for commiserating with me about my bad summer. It was a heartbreaking summer for roses.

Judi - yes...so true!! LOL

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    2 years ago

Carol, my backyard is very closed in and surrounded by forest, I think air circulation is a factor regarding disease and also possibly is a bit higher humidity, though this is Alberta and we thankfully don't have much issues with that to begin with! Keeping alive outdoor tender roses really isn't too difficult if one uses certain methods, but that can become tiring when growing large numbers of them. I'm getting older (aren't we all, lol) and I'm somewhat reducing my workload and freeing up more time to admire and smell the roses!

• kathyc_z10
    2 years ago

chiming in with my NIRPs from Palatine. I recently moved to a place with a larger yard and took a couple with me!

Rosemantic Fuschia

this pic is sideways but it was a good bloomer in the first year. Stayed shorter for me ~3..5 feet which is unusual in Southern Ca where most roses can get very tall

La Fontaine aux Perles

beautiful blooms and wonderful scent. Mine got to 6 feet within 7 months. I plan to get it again.

Amour de Molene

I brought this one with me when I moved. Fantastic scent and beautiful blooms, what a great rose. Gets on the taller side.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Beautiful, Kathy. I'm nuts about all three, and growing more fond of the oranger shades by the minute. The fuchsia is my favorite of the Rosemantic series. Diane

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    2 years ago

Kathy,

Your roses are beautiful , the LFaP looks far nicer than the pics on HMF. I’m also curious how you transplanted them so successfully…was it during the winter? How did you keep them from drying out , and minimize transplant shock?

Kristine,

It seems the breeder named the rose Malicorne in anticipation of being maligned, no?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Ha ha Ben, it is a pretty pitifil name isnt it ? Unicorn, candy corn, malicorn.

Kathy, holy moly! Those are 3 incredible roses. I love them all but I am on an orange kick so ADM really stands out.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

No, no, no, you guys, for shame. Malicorne the rose was named after the village where Delbard was born. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

I forgot to mention that the chief industry in the village is the manufacture of a Halloween candy called, Malicorne. Smirk. Diane

• kathyc_z10
    2 years ago

thank you @Diane Brakefield, @Kristine LeGault 8a pnw and @BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thank you!

@BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)I had lived in my previous house for 18 years and some of my roses were from Vintage Gardens, and not available in commerce anymore. Even though I had 70 plants, I could not really see taking very many as it was in the middle of August that we moved and it is so much work. We only moved 7 miles but on top of everything else, moving plants in mid August is not fun. I had a horrible time deciding to take only 10 plants, and which to take. Plants are considered property and I was required to replace what I dug up. The buyer also put that requirement in the escrow papers!

I bought fabric grow bags like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGC9XWR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 and filled them partly with potting soil. Then trimmed down the plant to about 18 inches of top growth and and then gently shoveled around them keeping as much roots as possible and then placed into the grow bag. Wrapped it up loosely with thick string to keep the bag and potting soil closer to the plant. I had the people helping us move carry them over to the new house and place them in the shade. The grow bags are much easier to move full than regular pots due to their handles. I told myself I would only bring the ones I can't buy anymore but I didn't stick to it--and I am kicking myself because two I thought I could buy again, RU is not stocking in spring.

Watered a ton and they all have leaves and look happy, and some are blooming now still in the grow bags! I am still working on the soil at our new house. It's a disaster.

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw you will really like Amour de Molene. Here it is in spring, less vivid orange and has a pearly quality. It glows against the green leaves.

@BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) yes I took a chance on LFaP. It shows more high centered when opening and more "birthday cake icing" petals once fully open. Here is an open bloom.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

FrozeBudd - yup...easier is better as we get older. :) :)

Kathy - GASP!!!! I love them all!!! I had taken Amour de Molene off of my order list...now it's back on!! WOWZA!

Diane - I didn't know that about Delbard and Malicorne! Malicorne halloween candy, Diane... LOL

2 years ago

Diane,

Good thing you explained that Malicorne was a place, I googled it and all I got was a gothic rock band. Shouldn’t Malicorne have been named for orange/yellow rose for the namesake candy corn? Maybe it’s bad candy corn,burnt the sugar, turned out too dark red instead of yellow and orange. What a timely discussion in front of Halloween (which happens also to be a properly orange/yellow rose).

2 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up. That does make the name a bit more sensible but I still like candy corn better.

Kathy, that is so funny that you said that ADM was tall. Like everyone else who saw your rose and went rushing to Palatine to check it out ,it lists that rose as 2 to 3 ft. Sizes are sure subjective arent they

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Ben, Malicorne, the French candy corn, is a blackish wine color, so the rose is named appropriately. Black is a nice Halloween color, too. We must not offend the French.

Kristine, I remember when Ascot was described in that size range on Palatine's site and HMF (2-3 feet tall); cackle (Halloween laugh). Now I beat Ascot back every spring to keep it tree size. In fact, I did some beating back on it a few days ago, too. Diane

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Ben, gorgeous (probably) Malicorne! I have been internet admiring that one for awhile. So deeply red and velvety! Is disease resistance good in blackspotty Dallas? I wish I lived close by instead of thousands of miles away! It seems that many Delbards are hard to come by in the US…or are the only rare ones the cultivars I lust for? Carol

2 years ago

I was out in the back checking things out and noticed that Fiji has become a giant . It is listed as 3- 4 ft. It is at least 7 ft. I have very little confidence in the stated sizes.

I know that Ascot can be gynormous and that is why I never felt that I would have room for it.

But , I only know that because of actual growers

2 years ago

Diane,

From this point on I’ll check with you about anything relating to Malicorne! (the town, candy, rock band, Delbard etc).

Carol,

Malicorne’s color was a good dark red, but there’s another dark red Delbard floribunda that I think is far more beautiful, Dancing in the Dark:

I saw it at a local nursery and was wowed by how rich and saturated this black-red color looked. Sometimes I regret passing on this plant since I had no place for a red floribunda, but having seen them both, Malicorne is definitely the bad Delbard sister.

My guess is Malicorne’s blackspot resistance is not so good, but I do spray.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Diane - :) :) You need a light saber to hack off your roses quickly.

Ben - ooooh!! Dancing in the Dark is stunning!

2 years ago

Ben, I agree that Dancing in the Dark looks like a prettier rose all around

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Dancing in the Dark: Thank you for the suggestion, Ben! My sister who is moving across country from Dallas (where we grew up) to Portland LOVES dark reds. I am helping with the garden design at her new place. Now if I can just locate Delbard’s La Rose du Petit Prince. “Dancer in the Dark” Bjork should grow ’Dancing in the Dark’. 😊 Carol

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

@portlandmysteryrose I have Le Petit Prince 🙃 I actually found it at Home Depot this year! Maybe you will find it there next spring?

I wish I could just give you mine. It smells lovely.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Score, Magpie!! 🎉🎉🎉 GORGEOUS photo! I’ve read really good things about LRdPP. It sounds like the fragrance is living up to its rep, and the color in your pic sure is. My sister and I will have to check out Home Depot in the spring. Carol

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Magpie - that's a great picture of Le Petit Prince...I found that it's hard to get really good pictures as thrips damage shows up so easily on the leaves. My husband was bringing the roses into the garage...and he was amazed by the beauty of LPP's leaves and the amount of them. :)

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

@rosecanadian Well I've definitely taken plenty of photos of LPP with thrips-damaged petals. I didn't mind too much, but I know it really bothers some people. As for leaves, it had really nice foliage in spring and early summer, but then the unicorn prominent caterpillars ate the foliage and once it started to get colder at night the rose slowed WAY down, so it took forever to grow nice new leaves. It looked pretty bad there for a minute 😅 the only roses I have that didn't seem to suffer from any foliage wrecking pests this year were: Sally Holmes, Polka, Sidonie, Ispahan, John Cabot, Mme. Ernest Calvat, Jude the Obscure. Everything else got partly or mostly chewed on by something. Therese Bugnet got almost 100% defoliated by the last round of sawfly this year. It looks awful right now, nothing but a bunch of very thorny, angry sticks.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Harharhar. Ewww. Diane

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    2 years ago

Great Discussion, all. Thanks for the gorgeous photos. My Sweet Delight has been very healthy, very fragrant. Not super big. The flowers are so delicate, and they are lovely but so far not lasting long. I'm hoping that it will be more firmly established this next year and live up to my expectations.

@BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) - would you say your Broceliande is like Neil Diamond, but more yellow-y?

p.s. My Neil has been a bit of a disappointment this year. Foliage has not been great and hardly any blooms...I'm thinking of moving him elsewhere -- except he already has a prime position...

I'm super disappointed Palatine won't be doing a fall shipment. The spring one comes way too late in my bare root season. But I literally have run out of room for roses and have resorted to pots in weird places for now...so I really should not even read these posts, as I'm seeing roses I want, and I really just can't! Plus, the drought and deer pressure have been enormous this year, which means my dreams are dashed over and over and over....

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Deborah - I second Diane's comment LOL

ha, hah, ha...ewwwwww!!!

I never thought of Palatine's new ordering in December as a problem...but I can see that it is. Darn! Oh, I hope that next year is better for you! :( :( So unfair. :( :(

2 years ago

Kathy,

I appreciate the detailed response on how you moved those roses! I had always thought about how to move my plants if the need should arise, and coincidentally I had also thought about fabric bags…they’d hold soil, be less bulky than pots, more breathable than plastic. I’m so glad to hear someone actually did this and it worked! I do agree moving roses in winter would have been ideal, but I’m glad your plants are thriving despite a summer move. I have roses that’d be hard to replace, too, but I don’t think I could limit myself to just 10. I’d need to keep at least 30!

Carol,

Regan carries both Dancing in the Dark and Le Petit Prince. I think of the Bruce Springsteen song for the red floribunda.

Carol, Kris,

Thanks for the compliments on Dancing in the Dark, I really did love the color. (Note: while I’m known to be redundant sometimes, in this case we have 2 Carols actively posting…Rosecanadian and Portlandmysteryrose).

Deborah,

I think of Broceliande as red/yellow , Neil as very deep pink/white, yet I do agree they’re similar since red/yellow does lighten as it ages. .I think I would have been more excited for Broceliande if Neil wasn’t such a perfect rose for me, and far more fragrant. Still, I’m glad to have both, and I think these two have the highest quality, most refined shape of the striped HTs. I will need to take more notice on how well Sweet Delight lasts. I’m willing to overlook just about any fault when a rose smells so good.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

:) :)

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    2 years ago

My Roseraie de Chatelet has been a treat. No detectable fragrance, but she is hardly ever out of bloom.

Rosemantic Red has been a mixed bag. No fragrance to speak of and I’ve had to prop up canes, but it is a blooming machine.

2 years ago

Markay, your Rosematic red is a beautiful shade of red.

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    2 years ago

the bush habit leaves a bit to be desired, but the roses are stunning.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Thanks, Ben! Carol

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Markay - they're both beautiful...but Roseraie de Chatelet stole my heart!!!

• kathyc_z10
    2 years ago

I feel badly for Malicorne! I had it at my previous house and enjoyed the yellow stamens against the dark red of the petals. That said, after I saw @BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) comments on Dancing in the Dark (Hommage a Barbara) I looked it up and then bought one for Spring from Regan!

Here's Malicorne -- again this picture is sideways (argh) but still a great rose

Here's the picture of Dancing in the Dark (Hommage a Barbara) I found: http://www.rosebook.ru/roses/gallery/tea-hybrid/hommage-a-barbara/1/

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Lovely colors on those blooms!!! :) :)

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

So I asked Rachel if there are more roses to add to their list, and she said:

No not quite yet... So sorry I keep getting interrupted.

Missing is:

Wedding Piano,

Charming Piano,

Happy Piano,

Mariatheresia,

Blue for You,

Jubilee (rugosa used for rose hips)

Peter's Joy (from Brad)

Cool Cats (from us)

-----------------

So Blue For You is one a lot here are interested in, I think.

Peter's Joy's parent is Easy Does It...the similarity is strong...Peter's Joy is pink though. :

Carol

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

I am speechless… What an amazing thread!

Thank you, Helen! and Everyone for your lovely photos & comments on NYRP roses.

I tried perusing most of it this evening! I am new to NIRP roses but after seeing a few weeks ago Helen’s roses I choose a few for my spring list from Palatine. Also, I have been eyeing a few of them from your garden photos on other threads.

I am so excited to order in Dec.:

1. Rosemantic Pink

2. Rosaraie du Chatelet

3. Maybe Rosemantic Fushia/

or Kordes-Dark Desire Parfuma (Can’t decide.)

Rosemantic Cream & Anastasia are gorgeous-love them, too!

@Ceres , Love your Forever Rose, do you know if it is BS resistant.

@Amanda Dickerson,

I see you have BS, too, looking for resistant roses. Me, too. After reading your experoence w/BS on NIRP roses I am concerned, but wish to try a few. However, I have had great success w/Kordes roses & Meilland roses not getting BS-the most resistant in my garden. I have Polar Express, , Earth Angel, Summer Romance, Beverly, Wedding Bells, Madame Anisette, Pomponella , Cinderella, Lions Fairy, & more Kordes doing well-almost no BS. I have Francis Meilland, Princess Charlene de Monaco, Ives Piaget, Cream Ives Piaget (Classic Woman) Meillands-almost no BS. Almost any rose can get BS if sitting in water-with way too much rain this year, but many had zero BS anyway. They are the best BS resistant roses I have out of a hundred roses almost. I have others if you need a longer BS resistant list. Savanna is BS resistant-zero BS!

Carol, Thanks for pointing out this thread. I am so busy…I am missing these anazing threads!

@kathyc_z10

Kathy, Thank you for your photos of Roseraie Du Chatelet -what a magnificent rose-love its name-it’s color is beautiful & excited about its vigorous growth!

NIRP ROSES are so lushious!

THANK YOU, everyone! again for your comments & photos on NIRP International roses & website. What a wonderful company of superb roses! Can’t wait to put in my first order for them!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Palatine is the gold standard, IMHO. :) :) I'm sure you'll be so happy with what you're going to be ordering!!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

I asked Rachel if their rose Cool Cats has fragrance and she said this:

There is none. We use it as a cut flower. It's a medium sized mauve with a super long vase life.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Carol, I've never heard of Cool Cats (except for Barley who is extremely cool). It sounds lovely and I don't require scent for my roses. I'd like another with long vase life. I'm still thinking seriously about Ashley, and I love the Rosemantic series. Diane

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Diane - hmf doesn't even have it. It's one of Palatine's roses. And, yes, most definitely...Barley is a CC :) :)

Man, if you grew the Rosemantic roses...they would be unbelievable!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Looks like their full list is up on their website!!! :) :)

• KittyNYz6
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ok, Friends,

Who ordered NIRP ROSES???? And what did you order? Are they blooming? Show us photos?

Here’s my 2 Roseraie du Chatelet 1st blooms…

I see more cupped shaped blooms this eve…. I’ll take more photos in the morning.

@Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map) Your RdC was gorgeous! My new ones have nany buds!!!! I look foward to them both being blooming machines.

My Rosemantic Fushia has a bloom may ooen soon! (They were sold out of Rosemantic Punk-so maybe I’ll get one next year-she’s beautiful, too!.)

• berrypiez6b
    last year

I don't know when or how to order from Palatines on frenzy day, I hope there will be a Rose Forum notice a few days before ordering day opens.

Kitty6aNY did you get Amour de Molene last year ?

I'm a bit nervous about ordering the wrong roses ...

last year

I have Rosematic fuschia and it is doing great. Hard to photograph though

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Oooh,pretty !