SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
bayarea_girl

Our wish comes true, more European roses from NIRP through Palatine!

bayarea_girl_z9ca
last year
last modified: last year

PalatineRoses will sell NIRP International roses this fall. I have a feeling we'll crash their website in September again, lol. Here is one of their NIRP roses, Romantic Pink. Once I have their full NIRP rose list, I'll post it here. The pic credit is from PalatineRoses. Helen

Comments (138)

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    4 months ago

@bayarea_girl_z9ca i was thinking that my Rosematic Pink looks like your amour de molene. its doesnt have the fuschiA color i see in the picture on the website and is more orange in color.

@vaporvac sorry! i thought this thread was just a Palatine roses thread! 🙈

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
  • rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Vaporvac - Such a lovely rose!!! Is there fragrance?

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked rosecanadian
  • Related Discussions

Appropriate roses and Palatine nursery?

Q

Comments (16)
    Mike Rivers is spot on for your definition of the spiral shape you desire. High centered, exhibition form, etc...will get you what you want. Palatine has the best bareroot roses on the North American continent at the present time in my opinion. They offer mostly Kordes roses which are known for their superiour toughness to weather conditions and temperature extremes compared to most other breeders of hybrid tea roses. I grow in Northwest Missouri and do not winter protect specifically. I rely on Ma Nature and the leaves that fall from a couple of big trees on my property to gather around the base of the bushes and that seems to insulate mine well enough. I really don't lose many if any at all during the winter even though I grow a couple that are "notoriously winter tender". St. Patrick, Marilyn Monroe, Color Magic, etc.. are some that supposedly can't survive my winters, yet I have grown these for five years or more and have not lost any of them. I do generally have to prune to almost ground level in the spring especially on St. Patrick, but they always come roaring back and within a couple of months you could never tell they were pruned so low. The main thing is to make sure your roses are HEALTHY and not stressed going into winter to give them the best chance to survive winter. John
    ...See More

Palatine Roses bare root mail order for fall 2019 and spring 2020

Q

Comments (99)
    SOLD OUT roses (3pm PDT 9/13/2019): Augusta Louise, Barock, Baronne Prévost, Belle Sans Flatterie, Biedermeier Garden, Black Caviar, Bullata, Butterfly, Chartreuse de Parme, Chloris, Cornelia, Dainty Bess, Double Delight, Duchesse de Montebello, Edgar Degas,Elfi von Dassanowsky, Emma Haftl, Great Maidens Blush, Grimm Brother Fairy Tale, Gros Choux d'Hollande, Kazanlik, Larissa, Mme Pierre Oger, Moonstone, Mothersday, Our Anniversary, Queen of Denmark, Reine de Violettes, Rosa gallica 'Officinalis, Rosa Mundi, Rosanna, Rose du Maître d'École, Sidonie, Skyrocket, Sunbeam Veranda, Westerland, and Yolande d'Aragon. Helen
    ...See More

Palatine will open for bare root rose ordering 9/14/2020 at 9am EST

Q

Comments (220)
    Just to close out the story here -- So I had originally ordered the Eden as a gift for my friend. As you know, my AL turned out to be Eden. So we moved Eden to her new home on Saturday. And the Augusta Luise replacements (less than grade #1) arrived on Friday, so those got planted on Saturday. One in my yard, and one in my friend's yard. I have another AL coming in fall from FReedom Gardens. But I trimmed all the Eden blooms & buds off the rose before digging it up, and here is the glorious picture. If it was scented, if I had room for another climber...I might have kept her! But that spot was created (literally -- had to build a rock retaining wall to fit in another rose there!) for Augusta Luise. p.s. Diane, Colette already has many buds. I'm so excited to see what she's like!
    ...See More

Was Palatine’s Instagram Story a Rose Reveal?

Q

Comments (38)
    @rosecanadian me too, LOVE button eyes, but I looked at many many websites to read about it and discovered that Palatine is the only one who claims that it's hardy to zone 5b. Everyone else seems to say that it needs it warmer. Since I'm no zone pusher I guess I'll just admire it in photos. I really want to try a rambler just because I won't truly understand their habit until I grow one, so I'm curious. I think they might fit into my garden just because I do like a more untidy, romantic kind of look.
    ...See More
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 months ago

I knew you'd have some news, Helen! I'm sorry you didn't get Potter and Moore, especially since these old Austins are getting so hard to find. I had a little disappointment in the Austin category, too. The Dark Lady they sent had 2 good canes and 4 dead ones. Then, those two slowly dried up. It happened in the bucket of water, so it was plenty hydrated. I'm sure they cringe just as much as the customer when things don't go right. I was able to get a second St. Cecilia. That rose just epitomizes old roses to me - like the ones in the old masters paintings. It's a well shaped and healthy bush, too. You'll fall in love with it.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I have always admired t Cecilia and look forward to seeing both of yours. Carol, the forever Rose is fragrant! I generally buy for fragrance but every once in a while something sneaks in for health!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Ceres, I haven't posted my pics of Rosemantic Pink yet but mine looks similar to the pics from another Instagram user: https://www.instagram.com/p/COq6yK2hrBl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Amour de Molène is big and deep cupped. Its color range can go from salmon to pink depending on the weather. Rosemantic Pink's blooms are smaller, flat, and pink in color. Helen

• susan9santabarbara
    4 months ago

Helen, thanks so much for the update on Palatine! I'm sad to hear that they are discontinuing the Sept. ordering (and fall shipping to those of us in Calif, etc.). Looks like those of us with a lot of old Austins are going to have to step up our cutting programs!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked susan9santabarbara
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Susan, I think that will be the case. Between many of us on these forums, we have most of the David Austin roses. Helen

• susan9santabarbara
    4 months ago

Helen, we do indeed have most of them between all of us! I wish that someone would coordinate a list of most-rare Austins so I can prioritize. I have a good general idea, with some really obvious ones like Sir Walter Raleigh, but I'd love a more prioritized list. I also have a lot of ultra-rare non-Austins that I'm working on propagating.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked susan9santabarbara
  • rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Vaporvac - maybe I should get Forever Rose from them next year!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 months ago

I think that sounds like a great idea. I will keep reporting on how it does this year And if it improves, although it gave some really Great blooms for such a little tiny plant. Mine was from Freedom Garden so it was a very small own root. I imagine those gorgeous plants from Palantine do better from the get go. I just planted it last November. I'm hoping it's going to have a pretty shape.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Yes, keep us me/us updated!! Thanks!

• Biff Jessop
    4 months ago

@bayarea_girl_z9ca hi, I got a Potter and Moore this yr from palatine also and it's kinda yellow orange, wondering if that's the same as what u got and if u know what it is?

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Biff Jessop
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@Biff Jessop I think you have the same incorrect rose like mine. I gave mine to my sister, and she doesn’t care about its name so I didn’t look into it. Helen

• rosecanadian
    4 days ago

So how did everyone's NIRP/Palatine roses do?

• Biff Jessop
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

I have amour de morlene and LaFontaine aux pearl, loved them both, I'm in zone 7, they grow kinda tall like 6 ft here with thick canes, fragrance is excellent on aux pearls and morlene is just ok , anyway my 2 cents.

• rosecanadian
    3 days ago

Thank you!! I took Amour de Moline off my list. :)

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
    3 days ago

My NIRP Roses:

Broceliande:

Nice large flowers, good form, strong growth, decent fragrance. A keeper

Parfum Royal: Very impressed by this one, formed a dense rounded bush quickly, bloomed like crazy and repeated fast. Blooms were very fragant yet had extremely good substance and were super long lasting(not quality you find together often).

Sweet Delight: This is one of the most strongly fragrant roses I have ever smelled, and it smells like a ripe bowl of exotic tropical fruits. The color and form were highly variable, but who cares when it smells so exceptional. Put out some strong canes over the fall, so I’m hoping I get a good flush to see what it really looks like.

Finally, my highly anticipated Roberto Alagna turned out to be some red floribunda, perhaps Malicorne. Mistakes happen, Rachael will send me a real Roberto next spring, but boo-hoo, I don’t want you:

For those interested in Malicorne, it’s deep red, very upright, and no scent. If you’re close by, you can have mine.

• rosecanadian
    3 days ago

Ben - your Parfum Royal and Broceliande are sooooo swoonworthy!!! SWOON!! Stunners!! I have both of them...I was just happy to keep them alive after the pH disaster I made of my roses this year. I had zero blooms from PR (my fault totally) and a few from Broceliande...but nowhere near as gorgeous as your bloom!!!

Here's my Roberto Alagna...I'm expecting better from all of my roses next year. Worst rose year of my life.

Too bad about your Roberto Alagna...but, yeah, mistakes do happen. :)

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
    3 days ago

Carol,

That’s a great pic of Roberto Alagna, I’m glad someone got a plant. How is the fragrance? Too bad the great garage freeze affected the NIRP roses!

Helen,

I wonder why Palatine won’t be carrying the old Austins, seems a shame since so much work was inovlved in making them available. I thought since they weren’t really carrying the patented Austins, they wouldn’t have an issue with selling the old ones, (just couldn’t use the trademarked name).

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Ben, according to Rachel from PalatineRoses there are many reasons and not all to do with Austin or the roses such as how much land they have, how much understock is available, and how complicated the sales channels need to be. They will evaluate and make decision each year. As for now, they don't produce the old David Austin roses for sale this year. Hopefully, they can sell them again in the future.

The good news is we will have some "new" Tantau's roses from PalatineRoses to order in December. The two "new" Tantau roses they already added to the website are "Alabaster" and "Ashley". They will add more before December. Helen

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
    3 days ago

I very much appreciate the information, Helen, and look forward to the new Tantau roses. Great news on their access to some of the Tantau catalog, since Ashley and Alabaster appear to both be still under patent.

• rosecanadian
    2 days ago

Ben - it's not really a good picture of Roberto Alagna. :) :) But thanks. My problems with my roses this year has been from pH problems where I made a huge mistake by lowering the pH and then lowering it again. And then I started raising the pH...but I went way overboard...then I tried lowering again. Rinse and repeat. It was a nightmare. Once we finally got some rain in September, it sorted things out a bit. Horrible summer for my roses. I can't remember if it had fragrance. Next year will be better.

• Amanda Dickerson
    2 days ago

Roberto Alagna did really well in my zone 6 in a pot. It stayed a nice manageable size too. It bloomed a lot but got some black spot mid-summer. I don’t spray for that either. It did recover on its own and put out all new leaves. The flowers were pretty when they first opened but then the color changes a little and I wasn’t really fond of it then. I did like the smell though. According to the NIRP website it was supposed to be very black spot resistance. How did it fair with everyone else?

• Amanda Dickerson
    2 days ago

Marie Caroline is on the NIRP website but is listed by Adam from Palatine. This rose bush had gorgeous flowers that had a nice fragrance but unfortunately it was a black spot magnet and completely defoliated and didn’t really recover after that. Again, I don’t spray, this one was in the ground, zone 6. The NIRP website also said this one had high black spot resistance but I don’t agree here in Michigan. I have been trying to find the unicorn of roses (black spot resistance and has fragrance) and I was hoping these NIRP roses would be my answer this year. I must say that ANASTASIA did very well and had gorgeous flowers and a nice fragrance and only got a little black spot. However, it didn’t bloom a ton but it was only its first year. I can’t seem to find the photos for that one.

• Amanda Dickerson
    2 days ago

Rosematic Fushion in a pot zone 6 started off great but ended up getting black spot so bad it completely defoliated, it did come back but then black spotted and defoliated again. The fragrance was nice but I don’t think I will keep this one. The color is also a very strong magenta which I am not super fond of now that I see it in person.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Thanks for the great pics and descriptions , Amanda, you grow some very nice roses. I wonder if you’ve tried Deelish, Elle or Bolero? Those are the three (all Romanticas, I don’t think that’s a coincidence) that I think might be able to go no-spray yet give excellent scent. Perhaps some of the new Weeks (Fun in the Sun , Perfume Factory) might be able to do it itoo. I’m just guessing because these roses stay so healthy, I must admit I do spray regularily like a possesed demon!

Carol,

I didn’t realize a pH disaster followed the great garage freeze, that’s really unfortunate. I wouldn’t think you’d need to do much pH adjustment at all since your roses are in pots? But those roses let us know when we tinker too much with them, don’t they?

• Amanda Dickerson
    2 days ago

Thank you! I did grow Bolero this year but it also got black spot. But the smell is divine!!! I also am a sucker for cupped heavily petaled roses. I am definitely keeping that one! I have Dee-lish ordered for next spring.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 days ago

Ben, I love your Malicorne rose, it sure isnt even close yo what you ordered though.

Sweet Delight is a beautiful rose, such a delicate color.

Amanda, wow! You have some great roses, bummer about the black spot though

Honestly, my favorite color is your Rosematic Fusion. Those hot colors are my favorite.

I guess that I better get back to Palatine and see what they have added

Anastasia looks pretty cool as well.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
    2 days ago

Amanda,

I’d be interested to hear how Deelish does for you, my guess is it’s the most BS resistant rose that isn’t named Knock-out. And the grapefruit scent is yummy.

Kristine,

If you were closer, Malicorne would show up at your doorstep uninvited!

2 days ago

Poor maligned Malicorne

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    2 days ago

i like this rose - got it as a free rose from Rogue Valley - beautiful deep red. Unfortunately it didnt survive "Snowmageddon" last winter. I would enjoy having it again.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    2 days ago

Carol, sorry to hear of stressful rose season, it had been such a hot summer that I imagined your roses were blooming up a storm! Yes, I've made more than my fair share of mistakes with potted plants, often killing with kindness, overwatering, too much fertilizer, etc.! Sorry, I hadn't gotten back regarding your comments on garage overwintering. I think my soil mixture is too heavy and instead I must go lightly on the watering, your mix obviously gives you great results! I currently have so few potted roses that I think I'll just dig deep holes in the dry garden soil and sink them and hill them over very well, we tend to get good snow cover in this region of Alberta in which is of great help.

I really appreciate hearing of the performance of roses and especially of their disease resistance. I'm all surrounded by forest and I guess the humidity is a bit higher with the nearby lowlands and lakes and I tend to have substantial black spot and cercospora disease pressure! Also, dang the pear slugs and saw flies are nasty, summer of '20 they totally defoliated my roses weakening them terribly! This year, I got much more wise and sprayed the buggers before any damage done, nice thing there was only the one cycle and an early autumn hatch that the now cold nights have killed off.

• judijunebug
    2 days ago

My rose wish list just got longer! Though I don't normally go for stripey roses, I really, really want Crazy Fashion! I recently told my children that they never need to wonder what to get me for Mother's Day, my birthday or any other gift...just check my rose wish list.

• rosecanadian
    2 days ago

Amanda - beautiful Roberto Alagna...much nicer bloom than mine. :) :) Too bad about the blackspot...mine never got that, thankfully. I like your Marie Caroline too!! Lots of blooms for a small bush!! :) Oooh!! I like your Rosematic Fuchsia the best!!! Thanks for the photos!

Ben - yes, it was horrible. I didn't realize that it would take some time to fix things, so I kept doing more and more. Blech.

Frozebudd - yes, your way will work well with snow coverage. :) :) You could try what people here in Calgary do...put garbage bags full of leaves around the roses and make a house out of really thick styrofoam to cover the whole lot. My roses never get blackspot. I wonder why yours do? Strange. Thanks for commiserating with me about my bad summer. It was a heartbreaking summer for roses.

Judi - yes...so true!! LOL

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    2 days ago

Carol, my backyard is very closed in and surrounded by forest, I think air circulation is a factor regarding disease and also possibly is a bit higher humidity, though this is Alberta and we thankfully don't have much issues with that to begin with! Keeping alive outdoor tender roses really isn't too difficult if one uses certain methods, but that can become tiring when growing large numbers of them. I'm getting older (aren't we all, lol) and I'm somewhat reducing my workload and freeing up more time to admire and smell the roses!

• kathyc_z10
    2 days ago

chiming in with my NIRPs from Palatine. I recently moved to a place with a larger yard and took a couple with me!

Rosemantic Fuschia

this pic is sideways but it was a good bloomer in the first year. Stayed shorter for me ~3..5 feet which is unusual in Southern Ca where most roses can get very tall

La Fontaine aux Perles

beautiful blooms and wonderful scent. Mine got to 6 feet within 7 months. I plan to get it again.

Amour de Molene

I brought this one with me when I moved. Fantastic scent and beautiful blooms, what a great rose. Gets on the taller side.

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Beautiful, Kathy. I'm nuts about all three, and growing more fond of the oranger shades by the minute. The fuchsia is my favorite of the Rosemantic series. Diane

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
    yesterday

Kathy,

Your roses are beautiful , the LFaP looks far nicer than the pics on HMF. I’m also curious how you transplanted them so successfully…was it during the winter? How did you keep them from drying out , and minimize transplant shock?

Kristine,

It seems the breeder named the rose Malicorne in anticipation of being maligned, no?

yesterday

Ha ha Ben, it is a pretty pitifil name isnt it ? Unicorn, candy corn, malicorn.

Kathy, holy moly! Those are 3 incredible roses. I love them all but I am on an orange kick so ADM really stands out.

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

No, no, no, you guys, for shame. Malicorne the rose was named after the village where Delbard was born. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

I forgot to mention that the chief industry in the village is the manufacture of a Halloween candy called, Malicorne. Smirk. Diane

• rosecanadian
    yesterday

FrozeBudd - yup...easier is better as we get older. :) :)

Kathy - GASP!!!! I love them all!!! I had taken Amour de Molene off of my order list...now it's back on!! WOWZA!

Diane - I didn't know that about Delbard and Malicorne! Malicorne halloween candy, Diane... LOL

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Diane,

Good thing you explained that Malicorne was a place, I googled it and all I got was a gothic rock band. Shouldn’t Malicorne have been named for orange/yellow rose for the namesake candy corn? Maybe it’s bad candy corn,burnt the sugar, turned out too dark red instead of yellow and orange. What a timely discussion in front of Halloween (which happens also to be a properly orange/yellow rose).

yesterday

Thanks for clearing that up. That does make the name a bit more sensible but I still like candy corn better.

Kathy, that is so funny that you said that ADM was tall. Like everyone else who saw your rose and went rushing to Palatine to check it out ,it lists that rose as 2 to 3 ft. Sizes are sure subjective arent they

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Ben, Malicorne, the French candy corn, is a blackish wine color, so the rose is named appropriately. Black is a nice Halloween color, too. We must not offend the French.

Kristine, I remember when Ascot was described in that size range on Palatine's site and HMF (2-3 feet tall); cackle (Halloween laugh). Now I beat Ascot back every spring to keep it tree size. In fact, I did some beating back on it a few days ago, too. Diane

• portlandmysteryrose
    22 hours ago
    last modified: 21 hours ago

Ben, gorgeous (probably) Malicorne! I have been internet admiring that one for awhile. So deeply red and velvety! Is disease resistance good in blackspotty Dallas? I wish I lived close by instead of thousands of miles away! It seems that many Delbards are hard to come by in the US…or are the only rare ones the cultivars I lust for? Carol

21 hours ago

I was out in the back checking things out and noticed that Fiji has become a giant . It is listed as 3- 4 ft. It is at least 7 ft. I have very little confidence in the stated sizes.

I know that Ascot can be gynormous and that is why I never felt that I would have room for it.

But , I only know that because of actual growers

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
    16 hours ago
    last modified: 16 hours ago

Diane,

From this point on I’ll check with you about anything relating to Malicorne! (the town, candy, rock band, Delbard etc).

Carol,

Malicorne’s color was a good dark red, but there’s another dark red Delbard floribunda that I think is far more beautiful, Dancing in the Dark:

I saw it at a local nursery and was wowed by how rich and saturated this black-red color looked. Sometimes I regret passing on this plant since I had no place for a red floribunda, but having seen them both, Malicorne is definitely the bad Delbard sister.

My guess is Malicorne’s blackspot resistance is not so good, but I do spray.

• rosecanadian
    14 hours ago

Diane - :) :) You need a light saber to hack off your roses quickly.

Ben - ooooh!! Dancing in the Dark is stunning!

4 hours ago

Ben, I agree that Dancing in the Dark looks like a prettier rose all around