SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

Redecorating our windowless teacher's lounge for the new school year

Aims
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am an elementary PE teacher and I have a feeling that next year is going to be rough on all of us teachers. I won a prestigious teaching award that came with a cash prize and it's my money to spend how I want for myself. I haven't gotten it yet, thanks COVID for delaying the ceremony, but I think I would like to give our teacher's lounge a facelift with a little of the money.

You can see on the picture below what we have to work with. The PTA was so kind about 15 years ago and repainted and redecorated. Last year, my friend and I won a contest and we got a new black fridge because our really old fridge didn't stay cold well anymore and the door didn't seal shut very well either. It's worked out great.

Here is what me and a couple of colleagues would like to do.

1. FOR SURE- Paint the walls a soft gray or blue.

2. MAYBE- replace our bright yellow countertop which maintenance guys have to glue together with a more updated color/style. Home Depot has laminate counters for pretty inexpensive.

3. MAYBE- paint the cabinets and put new handles/drawer pulls on them. I've never done that before but I think I would have to sand the shiny finish off the cabinets and then paint over them? Or leave them be and put new handles on them?

What I am unsure about is making sure we choose the right paint color because we do have nice tall ceilings, but our lighting is fluorescent and this is an interior room with no windows.

I am open to paint/decor suggestions.

Comments (53)