Comedy Great Carl Reiner

Stan Areted

He lived a long, fruitful life and passed at 98 years of age from "natural causes."

Yesterday, before his death last evening, he was tweeting about the career of Noel Coward.

That's a gift, to be active and in one's right mind, and then leave the room, so to speak.

I enjoyed his talents; my first memory of him was watching the Dick Van Dyke Show, which he created and starred in, as well.

https://bestcelnews.com/celebrities/hollywood-legend-carl-reiner-dies-aged-98/

SaveComment14Like2
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
batyabeth

ah, that's a loss. Wonderful writer, and he assumed his audiences were smart, not stupid. He never wrote "down". May we all get to 98 with all our wits attached!

5 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

More of yesterdays tweets, and his pinned tweet.

RIP to a brilliant, funny and kind man.

Eternally grateful for The Jerk.

6 Likes Save    
Uptown Gal

Wow...I remember him well and fondly too. Well said, Stan. What a blessed

way to leave, as Stan said. Don't hear of that often.

1 Like Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

Photo of him with his daughter and Mel Brooks.

Mel Brooks must be very sad now, to have lost his best friend. I love both of them.

I think there should be a separate Academy Award category for comedy movies, as they almost never win best picture, and yet they are some of my favorite movies.

6 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Yes, they don't make them like that anymore. Poor Mel lost beloved Anne early, never remarried.

Politics aside, I admired Reiner.

His son, not so much except for Princess Bride.

He did great with that movie.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Rest in peace, Carl. You brought much laughter to so many.

Occasionally a local radio station will air skits from the 2,000 Year Old Man recordings with Reiner playing straight man to Brooks' zany two millennia man -- still comic gold years and years later.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

Lars:

"Mel Brooks must be very sad now, to have lost his best friend. I love both of them.

I think there should be a separate Academy Award category for comedy movies, as they almost never win best picture, and yet they are some of my favorite movies."

nancy:

"Rest in peace, Carl. You brought much laughter to so many.

Occasionally a local radio station will air skits from the 2,000 Year Old Man recordings with Reiner playing straight man to Brooks' zany two millennia man -- still comic gold years and years later."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Times They Are A Changin'

Hay

1 Like Save    
elvis

Loved Blazing Saddles. Check out Chris Roth's video from the '90s on 10 ways to get beat up by the police. I'm afraid that will become hard to find.

Warning: graphic language.

Save    
kadefol

I thought he'd make it to 100, no problem. Lucky man, he had a great life and kept his faculties til the end.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp
2 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

^^^thank you Dandyfopp!!! I edited the tweets to make a word document to send to my family. If you'd like it message me where to send it.

I will add that I probably saw every episode of Your Show of Shows and it is no exaggeration to say that nothing has ever topped what they did week after week.

ETA ha ha -- I didn't have to go through all that editing. Here it is, not as tweets:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1278063982767738882.html

Save    
bpath reads banned books too(5b)

Thank you for sharing that story, dandyfopp! It’s delightful!

Save    
althea_gw

RIP Carl Reiner. He was truly great.

Alan Alda had him and Mel Brooks on his podcast April 13. It's fun to listen to him and such a short time ago. They knew each other for 70 years!

https://omny.fm/shows/clear-vivid-with-alan-alda

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

As Mel would probably say ...

'It's good to be the king'

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz 14 Gardens Straight Out of Fairy Tales
Escape into landscapes that conjure the magical worlds of folklore and literature
Full Story