A quick slide-show on tips on preserving fruits and vegetables

Jasdip

This is so cool.

I've done the tomato paste and celery for years.

Handy-dandy tips

SaveComment13Like3
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caflowerluver

Picked up some good tips. Thanks.

Save    
daisychain01

Well, that was worth watching. Thanks!

Save    
eld6161

Thanks

Save    
adellabedella_usa

Thanks!

I liked the tip about putting watermelon in a strainer and letting the juices drain off. That would be worth trying. I'm not so sure on how they preserved tomatoes. I think they'd go bad faster. The rest has merit. I've done several of those things over the years. So much of this takes up extra space. I dehydrate a lot of stuff instead.

Save    
Sooz

Thanks for sharing!!

Save    
cindy_7

Thanks!

Save    
maifleur03

I found the strawberry thing interesting although I will need to try it. One of my husband's friends when they came to visit put a quart jar of strawberries in the back of the frig. I do not know if part of it was placing the jar in the back rather than in the front. It rapidly became hidden but months later I found them and they looked and tasted like she had prepared them that morning. I do not know how she prepared them as my husband insisted I go with he and his friend.

Those tomato paste blobs can be frozen before they are wrapped. That part was left out because that many packets would make the ones on the bottom misshapened.

Save    
Jasdip

Malifleur, I agree. I put the tomato paste in blobs with a tbsp, freeze, then wrap.

Save    
Lars

Good tips, but I use tomato powder instead of tomato paste, and the way to keep it from clumping is to add desiccant packets. Also, if you buy it in a plastic container, transfer it to a glass jar and add the desiccant packets. Plastic is somewhat porous and will not keep out moisture as well as glass.

1 Like Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Thanks, Jasdip! Many tips that are new to me. I always do heavy duty foil on my celery the minute it comes in the door and it keeps well. I also do the tomato paste, but freeze before bagging.

I'm anxious to try the banana tip-we always have bananas that go bad and there is only so much banana bread I'm willing to make. I'm also interested in trying the potato/apple tip-doesn't seem like it would work. Don't apples give off a gas that promotes ripening?

Save    
Jasdip

Lizbeth, your point about apples promoting ripening sounds familiar to me. I agree with you. Also, I seldom have potatoes that sprout, I believe they're treated to discourage sprouting......they just wrinkle and dry up.

I separate my bananas and keep them apart, apparently that helps with longevity. The water tip is cool though, isn't it?

Save    
adellabedella_usa

My potatoes sprout quite frequently. It may be because I live in a much warmer climate.

Save    
maifleur03

The only potatoes that do not sprout on me are those big baking ones. The rest always sprout before I use them.

If you toss the sprouting potatoes under about 6 inches of dirt they will come up and provide you potatoes. Since I never take all of them I have been harvesting a few each year for about 6 years. I had thought they would freeze and compost but apparently not.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular How to Grow Vegetables in Containers
Get glorious vegetables and fruits on your patio with a pro’s guidance — including his personal recipe for potting mix
Full Story
Selling Your House Sell Your Home Fast: 21 Staging Tips
Successful staging is key to selling your home quickly and at the best price. From cleaning to styling, these tips can help
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: Tiny, Fruitful New York Kitchen
Desserts and preserves emerge from just a sliver of counterspace and a stove in this New York food blogger's creatively used kitchen
Full Story
Every project is a personal work of art, utilizing nature’s palette of perennials, shrubs and trees, creating a... Read More