The Death of Elijah McClain Breaks My Heart

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

The story of Elijah's murder actually made me cry. This young man played violin for stray cats at the shelter. In Aurora last night police broke up a peaceful "violin vigil" for McClain with pepper spray.

Here are Elijah's last words:

I can’t breathe. I have my ID right here. My name is Elijah McClain. That’s my house. I was just going home. I’m an introvert. I’m just different. That’s all. I’m so sorry. I have no gun. I don’t do that stuff. I don’t do any fighting. Why are you attacking me? I don’t even kill flies! I don’t eat meat! But I don’t judge people, I don’t judge people who do eat meat. Forgive me. All I was trying to do was become better. I will do it. I will do anything. Sacrifice my identity, I’ll do it. You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful and I love you. Try to forgive me. I’m a mood Gemini. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. Ow, that really hurt. You are all very strong. Teamwork makes the dream work. Oh, I’m sorry I wasn’t trying to do that. I just can’t breathe correctly.

SaveComment15Like5
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cattyles

It made me cry, too.

4 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

This one was too much for me. I still can't get the image of that child out of my head. Racism is one thing, but I think we have police officers who are natural bullies and the idea of a black geeky kid you could so dominate provided too much impetus to let their inner monster out. I am not saying racism isn't a problem. What I am trying to convey is that some police officers are predators and race is just one piece of the equation in who gets killed or arrested for no good reason.

13 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Sounds like a sweet kid and the most unlikely suspect of anything besides being black.

Save    
dandyfopp

Terrorists.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

No words for those kind of monsters. There are predator police in many small towns and the kids are not all black either.

5 Likes Save    
deegw

Allegedly, officers went to a memorial for Elijah, reenacted his murder, took photos and showed their pals. The officers have been put on administrative leave.

No words.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/30/elijah-mcclain-police-photos/

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/06/29/photos-aurora-police-elijah-mcclain/

1 Like Save    

There was a 911 from someone saying he looked suspicious. Well, think about it folks....someone can think any one of us can look suspicious and call 911. Is that a reason to tackle the person to the ground and murder him? Couldn't they listen to him to ascertain that this young man didn't have an evil bone in his body? Yes, when it's all boiled down, these cops are no different from high school bullies, except that they carry badges.

6 Likes Save    
daisychain01

The Aurora Police Department later found the three officers connected to McClain’s death had acted within acceptable policy and training, and the district attorney overseeing the case declined to prosecute them.

We hear this over and over again in our country as well as yours. It seems like a no brainer to me, that if this is truly the case and innocent people keep dying, the "acceptable policy and training" needs to change.

2 Likes Save    

This has been bubbling up for years. A certain number of police are emboldened by Trump and his bully ways. A certain number of police are fearful for their lives because of the number of guns on the street because of "2nd amendment rights". A certain number of police are poorly or undertrained - they are called to situations where they do not have the skills to handle the challenges. A certain number of police are biased. The only thing that is clear to me is that the current system is not working. I don't know the answer - all I know is that Elijah should still be here playing the violin. There was NO reason on earth to murder this young man.

6 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

From all the analytical reports I've come across, these events happen to black youth more often than to white youth.

Save    
Vaughan

This is heartbreaking. I couldn't watch the video.

"Yes, when it's all boiled down, these cops are no different from high school bullies, except that they carry badges."

They are more than just bullies. They are cold blooded killers. And should be treated as such.

5 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

They tortured him. This is how they are reducing the stat of "unarmed & shot to death by police"

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Ziemia, that is true, but in areas where there are few blacks to torture, they prey on young whites. I know first hand. Police forces have corrupt officers and if they catch anyone under age drinking they have ended up dead after their encounters. Ruled suicide.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/06/14/three-teen-suicides-small-michigan-town-heartbreak/1413616001/

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Read Lisa story in Petoskey written by her dad. First female officer ruled suicide. A boy harassed by police in 2008 ruled suicide after police threatened him he would lose his scholarship for underage drinking at a football party at private home.

Save    
Kathy

Aurora police dressed in riot gear used pepper spray to disperse peaceful vigil For Elijah.

Save