SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_58962921

Do You Use a Daily Checklist? What Does It Mean That I Feel I Need To?

User
3 years ago

I keep lists in a variety of media, including the workflowy program, the notes app on my phone and very occasionally, a written list. These lists are for different thing—groceries, appointments that need to be made, repairs pending on the house, lists for each kid (things to send or plans to check on), etc. These have worked well for decades, when I had more plates spinning than I do now. However, I’ve been thinking lately that I need a daily checklist to make sure I don’t forget to water the plants on the downstairs patio, for example, or top off the water in the hydroponic gardens, or take my temp and pulse ox twice a day, make sure both electric car and golf cart are plugged in at night, dog medications given, Mr. Fluffy’s ears checked, get anything frozen needed tomorrow out of the freezer tonight... that sort of thing. When everything happens the same way in a day these tasks are a natural part of the rhythm; I check Mr Fluffy’s ears when I am leashing him for the dog park, and remember the car when I have been the one using it that day. But sometimes DH uses that car (still taking moving boxes to town dump) and we switch off being primarily responsible for taking the dogs out. And sometimes I just do not remember to do some of these things.

So...does anyone use such a list? A master list of stuff that needs doing or checking on every day or two? Even considering doing this is making me feel like I may be compensating for slight memory deficits that are appearing. I know this is how most people whose memory is starting to waver begin compensating. I’m not sure what this is and I def do not want to compensate so much I don’t know somethings wrong until it can’t be helped.

Comments (42)

• bpath
    3 years ago

I should go back to my daily check list. I used to kinda sorta follow Flylady and had a "control journal" with tasks to do daily, weekly, monthly. It all became kind of automatic so I stopped using it.

But with the lack of daily rhythm now, and new things I need to do, I think I should go back to it.

Not necessarily to remind myself, but because of the affirmation that I actually accomplished something yesterday. Oh, and to be sure I get to the things I need to do.

User thanked bpath
  • Related Discussions

I feel horrible (LONG, but I need to get it out)

Q

Comments (8)
    I really hope you have been in therapy or at some point will get some.I have been through similar things (although probably not as bad) I was also molested (by a cousin).In my teens I was pretty promiscuious and got mad when people called me a slut because I didnt think I was.In hindsight,I know It was a reaction to all I had exprienced. My mom kicked me out of the house alot and always put her loser boyfriends first too.They never tried anything with me,but were alcoholics and abusive to my mother. My relationship with my mom and sister has been a disaster for the last 15 years.Neither one of them has been there for me at all,and have only made my life more stressful. So I finally went to therapy because it was causing all kinds of problems.Severe anger,depression,anxiety...I learned alot.My therapist said it was more healthy for me to not have them in my life.Of course,they make that impossible,but I have learned to shut them out more and not let them interfere with my life. I think you are doing the right thing.Obviously your mother hasnt changed if she still has Jack in her life.Dont justify your mom's actions by saying you were supposed to help her have a better life.You didnt ask to be born.And unless your a moron,everyone knows having a baby doesnt make life easier! I'm really surprized you turned out so good considering.I have too only because I try to do the opposite of my mom at all costs. Just think how it good it felt to get it all out here.If you had a therapist you could really dig up those issues and even free yourself of all (or at least most) guilt. If you cant afford it,most counties have some kind of free mental health plan.Or on a sliding scale of much money you make. My husband has kinda saved me too.He has been the most stable person I have known.He has put up with alot from me because I was so "flighty" when we met cuz of all the drama.I essentially went to therapy for him,because I didnt want him to have to constantly hear about it or put him through any grief. It sucks to have a crappy family life.I'm sorry about all you have been through.But in a way it's nice to know I'm not the only one.
    ...See More

I think I know what I need to do.

Q

Comments (13)
    I have had the BEST weekend people!! I tried a whole different approach. I tried bringing up the subject of his crazy ex wife and his son's very agressive behavior but after a very nice day where we were both relaxed and content. For once, he LISTENED to me! Yay! We came up with some strategies for dealing with some of the issues that have been upsetting our family. I know it's small steps but I feel very encouraged! Plus, I made a comment before our combined birthday party for our 6 and 2 year old this weekend, that everytime we have a party, I feel very ignored by him. Like I don't exist to him and it's not because he's running around being host- because I AM! The whole party- he was so attentive to me, like asking if I needed a drink, getting me my plate of food and bringing it over, taking the baby without being asked, telling me to sit and relax, etc. I don't want to forget all that we need to work on however I feel that this weekend has refreshed us. :)
    ...See More

I feel like I am annoying you all...but...

Q

Comments (41)
    KKNY I don't know what to make of you. Of course we don't make the skids 'spy' for us. They brought the subject of smoking up themselves, we usually don't ask about those things (BM's drinking, the smoking - while pregnant of course, and other negative trades). That is because we'd feel bad knowing that the girls would probably feel like defending their mom. So therefore we wait till they volunteer the information and then we might ask what they think about it, or how they feel. The therapist has given us really good advice on how to be supportive of them, and how to adress these kinds of issues without criticizing their mom. However we do ask the girls general questions to show an interest in their other family, which is important for them. Like about their little brother or what they were up to on the weekend? Is that allowed?? Ima already explained it very well. It's about the power of brainwashing,I guess you're not that familiar with it. Like Ima's SD saying it is raining when the sun is clearly shining (that was your post Ima, right?) Also what is the significant difference for you between Stepmom or SO? I'm FDH's SO and stepmom to the skids. They actually started calling me that without my encouragement, they think it's 'cool' and so that's fine with me. You always think that it's the SM's vs the BM's here, and I don't understand why? Surely you're not that shallow to assume all Stepmoms are on the same page and all BM's are on the other? Just because I'm Dutch doesn't mean that I'm on the same page as all other Dutch people, right?
    ...See More

Advice needed! Rooter guy just left.. I feel unsure what to do.

Q

Comments (7)
    You should have been budgeting for a complete pipe replacement for 3 years now. This guy was exceptionally honest with you. The guys you used for 3 years are the ones that didn't tell you the truth. Any time a pipe has roots growing in it, it's broken. Roots cannot get into modern PVC plumbing pipes without a hole. Old terra cotta pipes, sure. But those should also have been budgeted for replacement if that were the case. Investigate a home loan if you have to, but start thinking major plumbing project here. You want to have him take a look at a lot of things when this is done. Like your main supply. If you have a hole dig, it's smart to replace everything that you can at one time.
    ...See More
  • Feathers11
    3 years ago

There are people in their 20s who need such a list, so don't let this need leave you doubting your age or mental capacity. I was just with a much younger friend yesterday who had to make a note of a simple action task in her phone, and I thought, "Really? You can't remember to do that?" That's just the way she operates.

My weekly schedule flows around my work deadlines, and I've never needed a calendar for them. I've been on this schedule for most of my career, so I'm used to it. But my personal schedule has needed more tracking. And it's changed in various seasons of my life--when it revolved around my kids' schedules, or when I had a home project going on. Sometimes, I worked from a calendar, while other times a list. These days, I tend to go over my daily to-do list when I'm waiting for the water to boil for my morning coffee.

I think if the tasks you have to do are important for the continuation of your household and well-being of your dog, make a list. Chalk it up to priorities so that your mental energy can go toward enjoying life, and not worrying about whether you've forgotten to do something important. Isn't this what you've always done?

User thanked Feathers11
  • Sueb20
    3 years ago

I have ALWAYS needed lists, even when I was in college and in my 20s, etc... my DD who is 19 is a list-maker too. I used to have a list on the kitchen counter every day. Each day‘s list drew from the calendar, so even if, say, an appt was written on the calendar, I’d also have to write it on The List. Then I’d also add things like phone calls to be made, things to buy, etc. each day. It sounds OCD but it was my system.

Now my system is mostly on my iPhone. I finally got rid of my paper agenda and now use my phone‘s calendar. Almost every item on my calendar has an “alert” AND for some things, I add an extra reminder in my Reminders app. (In case you can’t tell, I’m very forgetful — not an age thing, but it’s gotten a little worse since menopause.) However, even with all of that in my phone, I still need written lists sometimes if I have so much going on that I need to process it by physically writing it down.

I still mostly do shopping lists the old-fashioned way.

Sometimes I have visual reminders that help with daily tasks — like, seeing the watering can reminds me that I need to water the porch plants.

User thanked Sueb20
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've been a list maker for as long as I can remember. (there is a joke in there somewhere)

I owe to being a (failed) perfectionist. I keep a list because all the little details are important to me.

I've also always felt that remembering simple, linear things was not the best of use of brain power. Like as if I can't spare any?

And I've been using Workflowy since 2013, thanks to you. : )

(But it is on my to do list to check out Google lists after a recent thread.

ETA - during COVID, I took to printing out my grocery list. Since I was only going every 7-10 days, a mistake could really ruin meal planning. I printed it out on a clipboard and checked things off as I went. A few days ago i was out doing something else and decided to go to the store sans list. When i got home, I checked ... I didn't forget anything. But it was a tad anxiety provoking!

User thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

I keep lists. Grocery lists are now mostly kept by Alexa so they are always up to date on my phone. Easy with just 2 people. I keep a running list of projects I need/want to do around the house and things I need to think about replacing. Another is a list of gift ideas (kept in Notes). I keep a lot of stuff in Notes. Very handy for me.

edited to add, like loralee, I keep a schedule for some gardening things such as adding fertilizer. Those I keep note of in my e-calendar so I can set up a bi-weekly schedule for example.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

most people whose memory is starting to waver begin compensating. I’m not sure what this is and I def do not want to compensate so much I don’t know somethings wrong until it can’t be helped.

Re-reading your post, not sure how well this was addressed. If your memory were faltering, what could be causing that and what would help?

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Well now I feel like I’m a slacker because I am not a list person. Oh I make a grocery list, I do a Christmas card list and a list for Christmas gifts, but that is about it. i have never liked things to be so “scheduled”, even more so now that I retired. I think I would feel too rigid, too planned if I did a daily check list. I suppose I am more of a spontaneous type. Don’t get me wrong, we are all different (and that’s a good thing)! If making lists helps and you are happy with it, go for it. As for being concerned about your memory, I think you may need to go easy on yourself. You have gone through a lot lately - your husband“s health, moving and expecting a grandchild. That’s alot to deal with.

User thanked Tina Marie
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

As to what could be causing memory loss I would say the obvious culprits of Alzheimer’s, early onset dementia, vascular dementia, and any number of other things. My mother is fine, but she had four sisters who all developed Alzheimer’s. The disease begins way before anyone notices, and that’s one reason I am being hyper vigilant. Or thought I was.

• ratherbesewing
    3 years ago

I say if it is not on my list, it isn’t happening! I keep a master calendar and a daily list (old school 9 X11 piece of paper) on my refrigerator. (I pull them down when people are visiting). The flip side of the paper holds my grocery list for various stores separated (Sam’s Club, regular grocery store and Home Depot). The list keeps me on task and makes me see what is accomplished. I also think the act of writing things down sticks in your memory.

User thanked ratherbesewing
  • jmck_nc
    3 years ago

I'm another list writer. I prefer paper as the act of writing helps solidify my memory. I do use Alexa for shopping lists for various stores and for packing lists for trips. I find it convenient to tell her something I think of while doing something else. Here is my kitchen counter the day before my son's wedding. We had a big party at our house the night before, but I wasn't home all day due to other wedding activities so I had lists for everyone who was helping me as well as myself and my family members.

I will say that I find I cannot multi task anymore. I lose details easily that way that I would have held onto even a few years ago.I also have more trouble with details when stressed. Stress management has become very important for my life and health. I also worry about subtle signs of dementia, but I think a lot of it is normal aging.

User thanked jmck_nc
  • daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

I've always been a list person and, with covid, I've become much more so. I think it has to do with time taking a different form these days. I grew up with a parent who had a perfect memory and said lists were for stupid people and made fun of me for writing things down. When I left home and discovered others thought of lists as a good life strategy, it was like a revelation. I still love checking them.

Have you thought about talking to your doctor about it? Just to put your mind at ease? I don't know anything about memory tests, but it seems that there would be one that would set a baseline so that when you go back, your doctor can judge if it is actually getting worse.

User thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • ladypat1
    3 years ago

Yes, I do. I am retired. You don't need to pay attention to anyone else, unless you are feeling at loose ends or frustrated. I have an indoor project list and outdoor project list. I look at each morning and decide what I WANT to do. It is satisfying for me. Some days I don't do anything on my list. I only make lists for daily stuff if I am getting overwhelmed or forgetting stuff.

User thanked ladypat1
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

I am a list maker as well. For me putting something on a list erases the item from my memory, which is can be problematic if I forgot the grocery list at home (not a Covid problem, leaving the house without a shopping list is unthinkable .)

As for finding yourself more forgetful these days, it seems to me that I forget things more often when I have less to do, less structure to my day.

I am in my early 50s and have started memorizing poems again, like in school. It's a good workout for the memory and bonus mental workout points for working in a secondary language.

User thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • graywings123
    3 years ago

Regarding a checklist for everyday things to do, airplane pilots have a laminated checklist of things to do when they get into an airplane.

If remembering to do everyday things were easy, babies would not be left in hot cars.

User thanked graywings123
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I love lists, but not schedules. My list is mostly up to my discretion.

• Lars
    3 years ago

If you put on your list that you need to make a list, then you might need to worry. Otherwise, lists are very helpful, and most people at work have to do lists, unless their work is rote or requires no thinking.

I make lists of what I need to take back and forth between L.A. and Cathedral City or else I forget to take something. On my last trip back to L.A., I forgot to bring the eggs and my mouth guard. The eggs will keep until I get back, and I don't seem to be grinding my teeth like I used to, but I will go back to wearing the mouth guard when I get back to CC. I also forgot my CPAP machine and had to turn around at Gene Autry Trail, which was the first exit after I had gotten on the freeway.

User thanked Lars
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

KSWL, I did want to mention something. My grandmother had Alzheimers. When she was diagnosed, she was put on a medication to slow the disease. Of course it cannot reverse things, but she never progressed, thankfully. The drug is Aricept, I believe. As I said before, I don't think you have anything to worry about, I would guess stress plays a part. Perhaps you just like/need to make lists! With your family history, it might make you feel better to ask your doctor. I just wanted you to know about this medication in case there is ever a need. Put it on your list!! haha!!

User thanked Tina Marie
  • PRO
    Christie Kenny Interiors
    3 years ago

A list works well for me. I use a pad of paper that has two sections: Do it now and Do it later. For some reason, this has helped me tremendously when prioritizing.

User thanked Christie Kenny Interiors
  • User
    3 years ago

KSWL, I'm right there with you.

I've always been a list maker, but as I've aged I am absolutely noticing some memory deficits and it's a little bit scary.

I'm only in my mid 50s. My memory is already less sharp than it was just 5-10 years ago. It worries me too, although I keep telling myself it's normal to lose some memory as one ages.....I hope. :-/

So yes, if I need to do something "later", there is slim hope of me remembering unless I either write it down or find some other way to remind myself. I use alarms on my phone a lot, or I'll schedule a meeting with myself to get the alert, etc..

I'm amazing myself with the things I can forget lately. Sigh.

I keep telling myself it's not a problem until/unless I get the alert and then have no idea what I was trying to tell myself. Ha!

User thanked User
  • graywings123
    3 years ago

I'm still using the backs of envelopes for my lists.

User thanked graywings123
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The thing About Aricept is that the earlier you take it the more helpful it is. I used to say glibly that in addition to fluoride we needed Aricept and Prozac in the water supply! Maybe I am just embracing my inner 1984.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Legend has it that the Gettysburg Address was written on the back of an envelope. It's a good thing.

User thanked bpath
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Right, Mtn. There is a big difference in lists and schedules. I need the schedules for some garden things that need tending to, but the lists are for other things.

Kswl, you may be prioritizing things differently in your new home and in these different and more stressful times. I wouldn’t beat yourself up over forgetting to water something or to check the dogs ears unless it becomes really habitual over a longer period of time.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

Lars, I read once that the first thing you should put on a to-do list is “make a list.” That way you have at least one thing you can check off. 😄

User thanked bbstx
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

I’m definitely a list person but don’t yet need one for things I do every day. I remember to do that stuff but I don’t have that many things I have to do daily. I have a to-do app on my phone and put everything on there with the date I want/need to do it. Some of it needs to get done and does, some of it gets moved out month after month. I put a lot of stuff In that app otherwise I'd forget about it.

I could really tell when I was working how my memory deteriorated with age. I’m not sure how you tell what is normal aging brain and what’s a more serious deficit.

User thanked 3katz4me
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

KSWL, that's why I mentioned it. My grandmother was in her 90's when diagnosed (she lived to almost 100). She had symptoms for months (would not go to a doctor) and then once my mom became ill and we were faced with care for her AND my grandmother, we convinced my grandmother to go to a doctor with some "story" we had come up with. :( We had to have a doctor's order to have her placed in a facility for memory care. She was started on the aricept pretty quickly and as I said, for her, the disease did not progress.

Of course there is some memory loss with age, but she went through a series of tests. She had also been experiencing very tell-tale symptoms such as paranoia, symptoms worse at night, etc. When she first started the drug, we had her still in her home with round the clock care and her pills had to be hidden in food or drink. The paranoia did greatly diminish and she came to where her villa (small number of residents in each) became where she felt secure. We were blessed to have wonderful care for her there.

As part of my dad's twice yearly exams (before he entered AL, etc.) they would do memory testing exercises.

User thanked Tina Marie
  • hcbm
    3 years ago

KSWL, I too have found a loss of memory for daily chores etc. I don't believe it is unusual or alarming. Though, I find it greatly annoying. For me I think some of it may be age. However, I strongly believe mostly it is a lack of structure and change to my daily life. In other words, a loss of my "normal." If you are truly concerned I would not hesitate in visiting your physician.

As long as the doctor takes you seriously and is not dismissive, it may help you understand whether you are experiencing stress related issues, normal aging memory difficulties, or something else that needs attention.

User thanked hcbm
  • salonva
    3 years ago

I used to use lists all the time but somehow over the past few years have gotten away from it. I think for a while I tried to do one on my phone and i guess it just didn't feel natural to me, so I just stopped.

Anyway this is a good thread and reminds me that I need to start doing it.

I don't necessarily need one every day, but sometimes there are things that just slip away for too long. I went back to list making and it helped remind me to schedule some non -urgent doctor appointments and the like.( It would not have been bad if I waited longer, but I might not have thought of it and acted for another month.)

User thanked salonva
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ve taken a couple of online assessments and have not. not been told I should be screened further. However, those tests measure people against each other—a norm. I am evaluating myself against past performance, and I do feel there is a change, or shift. Since doctors, especially internists, practice mainly by algorithms now i am not sure what my doctor could do unless I failed some recognized test.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I do create lists if I'm doing something outside the ordinary, such as planning for a trip. I'm a hyper-planner who wants to have as much information as possible at my fingertips, but I like to think I'm relatively adaptable if things don't go exactly to plan. However, I do think there's truth in the adage that "failure to plan is planning to fail", and for me, lists are a vital part of the planning process.

I find myself writing down things that I fear forgetting. I've been housesitting ... well, plantsitting really -- just going over to someone's house while they're gone and making sure their outdoor containers are watered. I actually wrote myself a reminder to do that and left it in the bathroom where I was sure to see it. I guess I have a somewhat irrational fear of completely blanking and failing to do something I committed to do. I know that's not exactly a list, but you know what I mean.

I have a mental list, as I'm sure we all do, of things that must be done in the course of the daily routine. That said, I can't count how many times I've gotten up after going to bed to go back into the kitchen and turn the coffee maker to "program on" position, thereby ensuring there's coffee hot and ready when we wake up in the morning. This is something that's usually a part of the evening business of "getting ready for bed", but occasionally I just forget to flip that switch. I have found that the least little stressor or upset in the course of the day has a tendency to throw off my routine, and that's when things like this start to slip.

User thanked IdaClaire
  • hcbm
    3 years ago

KSWL, If you feel that the shift you are experiencing is more than normal aging, and increased stress I would pursue a proper medical evaluation with a "competent" geriatric neurologist or psychiatrist. (If they are not taking you seriously find someone who will.) A full medical exam to rule out mini strokes, or other medical conditions is important. Test on the internet are in no way a replacement for a comprehensive medical exam completed by a medical professional who is listening to you and current on all the latest research. I truly believe in listening to your own gut.

User thanked hcbm
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

But isn't Aricept for Alzheimer's per se, which is not the same thing at all as gradually diminished cognitive function with age?

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I have always had a pretty good memory. I‘ve always been able to memorize phone numbers. Back in the mid-90s, I was under a lot of stress at work which translated to stomach issues for me. To calm my tummy, I took Tagamet. It had just become OTC. I began to notice I was having trouble remembering phone numbers, simple ones like DH’s office. I almost started crying in my office one day when I got ready to dial DH and totally blanked on the number.

During all of this I ran across an article about Tagamet causing some people to have memory problems. I quit taking Tagamet and the memory issues abated. I just looked it up to see if the guidance had changed. It has not.

Have you looked at all the meds/vitamins you might be taking, both Rx and OTC, to see if any of them are connected to memory loss or slight confusion? There was an article several years ago that connected all anti-cholenergics to memory loss. I think the position has been revised to now exclude meds for seasonal allergies.

I am no doctor and I didn’t even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but if you take any of the suspect meds, you might want to discuss the issue with your physician.

User thanked bbstx
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Yes it is Mountain, but KSWL mentioned her family history is why I brought it up.

HCBM makes an excellent point! My 90 year old father, during this pandemic, has gone through so many changes, etc. it just breaks my heart. He declined greatly at the assisted living. He spent a few days in the hospital and is now doing so much better in rehab. In fact, the social worker there feels that he will be able to go back to an AL setting! At this rehab center, there is a pyschologist who for years ran a geriatric program at one of the hospitals in the big city. Sadly, that hospital closed a few years ago. Amazing to find that this dr. sees patients at my dad's rehab facility! Dad was having some episodes of much confusion and it really worried and scared us. Almost like he was hallucinating. He was given a psychiatric evaluation both in the hospital and again when he entered rehab. No dementia. This doctor has been working with dad and he did mention slight cognitive function decline - again, he is 90 years old, so that makes sense. Dad's mind (until this move) has been so sharp - he has a memory like an elephant. He also had extensive blood work done a few weeks ago and it was discovered his ammonia level was high, which can cause confusion. After treating that, he is doing much better. It is just heartbreaking to see what this pandemic is doing to so many older people. Those who are in facilities and are being isolated, it's just awful. That really does affect a person's mental outlook. Visits to these facilities were approved in the second phase of the state reopening here, but most facilities are not yet allowing them due to the rise of cases. I completely understand that, but I cannot wait to be able to actually be in the room with my dad!! We have been able to do window visits, video chats and Monday they had a parade at the facility (drive by cars) and for the first time, dad got to come outside. He is also allowed into the "day room" at times, with limited other patients and he has been enjoying sitting in the hallway "people watching" hehe. He is so cute and funny! I just pray we can find a facility that is a good fit for him. My grandmother was in "memory care" at the same facility where dad was in assisted living. The small family atmosphere (20 or less in each villa) was great for her, but it just wasn't for dad, nor was having one caregiver per villa. So now the search begins for a facility more suitable for him. Of course, downside is we still cannot visit these facilities.

Didn't mean to write a book, obviously this is a subject close to my heart.

User thanked Tina Marie
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

DH was given Aricept for cognitive issues related to Parkinson’s Disease. So, it is apparently not limited to Alzheimer’s.

User thanked bbstx
  • Lars
    3 years ago

Real estate agents are always leaving pads of paper for making lists at our front door, and so I use those for my daily to-do lists and shopping lists.

When it comes to making lists of what we need to take back and forth between L.A. and Cathedral City, my brother and I make lists on Google Drive so that we can both edit them. We should get to a point soon where that is no longer necessary, but for now, we are juggling quite a few items between the two places, as we are spending much more time in CC than we expected originally, partly because Kevin can work from home, and he set up an office in CC for him to use while there. Right now, I have my sewing machines there but not all of my fabric.

User thanked Lars
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your thoughtful and informative responses. Yes I do have a family history of Alzheimer's disease and it seems to target women in my mother’s family. And I will definitely check my medications, thank you for that reminder! If this goes on much longer I will definitely reach out to our internist for a referral. Strictly speaking we are. not required to be referred but I prefer to start with the person who knows more about us than anyone else.

• roarah
    3 years ago

I am only fifty but have tons of infarcts in my left cerebellum so memory is an issue. I need meds in cases so I can check if I took them more because taking more than my daily dose is dangerous. I need to maintain routines and now do use reminders. I highly suggest anyone who notices changes should have a cognitive test to see if there are concerns. I still see a speech pathologist to strength my prefrontal cortex. There are ways to delay progression if there is a reason and there are ways to strengthen the frontal cortex and white matter density before there are issues as well.

User thanked roarah
  • Oakley
    3 years ago

In a similar topic recently, I forget when, I posted what I do. I'll post it again in case you forgot.

I've been a list maker since the day I was born. You may think this will look like clutter but trust me, it's nice.

Now that I'm older, I forget what I said five minutes ago. Nothing serious, just the norm. :)

The main to-do list is next to my bed because it's the first thing I see in the morning while drinking my coffee. Laying in bed at night is when I remember many things that needs to be done, so it goes on the list. Of course the kitchen has a running grocery list which I always add to from reading the item in another room.

Because it worked out so well for me in the bedroom, I added the same set-up in the kitchen, living room and back here in my office.

This is my second batch of each in the past year. The notepad sits on bottom with some tear-off pages from the 700 page cube on top.

The small cube paper is to make a quick note to take with me when I get up from wherever I'm sitting. I have it all covered. :)

12 pack, 5x8, 50 sheets each

700 page tear-off note cube, not sticky. I tear off about 50 or so and put them with the notepads. These are probably the best I've ever seen. Next to me is a small pile of them with products I want to look at online and various websites.

User thanked Oakley
  • roarah
    3 years ago

I am not sure if this would interest anyone but there are many studies about how meditation increases white matter density on scans and also improves cognitive test scores in early onset dementia patients. I found my focus and short term memory improved after starting 12 minutes of kk meditation daily. Here is some of my research on the subject.

Article teaching how to do it http://alzheimersprevention.org/research/12-minute-memory-exercise/

Video I use to practice it https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jfKEAiwrgeY

Study about possible effects of music vs kk meditation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5649740/

A comparison of studies as to how meditation or yoga might improve the brain's nuero plasticity and studies of changes seen in short time meditators. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5110576/#!po=32.8947

You do not have to try it and it is a bit new age but it helps me even if it is only a placebo effect I feel mentally healthier.

User thanked roarah
  • Oakley
    3 years ago

Kswl, I forgot to add, at the top of my to-do list is "Water flowers" in large letters. It's so hot here.

I have one sheet of paper leaning against the lamp and all it says is "Raven" in large letters. That's because she's the only cat that like to go out and play right before the sun comes up, and after a few hours she's on the porch ready to come inside. It's too hot to leave her out for long.

I don't trust devices for important things although I do pay a few bills online. I need to see the list immediately and not have to look it up.

My mom died from Dementia, and I kind of worry myself. OTOH, I could never memorize dates in history or people's first names, so I think this is just a normal part of aging for me...so far.

User thanked Oakley
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH