Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deegw

Anyone sensing a pattern?

Save    
kidshop

Check out the white lady thread.

the ‘peaceful protestors’ broke down a gate on private property and were trespassing. There were 300 of them I think, and they spray painted some things and tore down wires to security cameras. This couple said they felt threatened. They have not been charged.

thats why

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/couple-points-guns-protesters-castle-doctrine-understanding/63-531cc88c-336d-4bee-ba15-c270a0fd2879

this was hard to find. Interview of man with rifle lol.

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/interview-man-with-rifle-during-st-louis-protest/63-eeb61c07-4adc-4df0-a7d0-000d40a89e78

3 Likes Save    
jlhug

Thanks for sharing the test of the story. Once again the media only reports the part of the story that fits their bias.

6 Likes Save    
deegw

I understand the reasons why the couple did it. My comment says nothing bad about the couple.

I don't understand why the President of the United States retweeted it without comment.

What is the message he is trying to send? What's the point?

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

deflection is his motive.

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

What is the message he is trying to send? What's the point?

Increase gun sales?

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

If the couple felt so threatened why not stay inside behind locked doors and call the cops? They don’t look very scared or frightened.

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

What message was Trump sending with his Retweet?

Save    
roobear

According to local media stories that I read, the police were called as well as private security before they went outside with their guns, not sure when they arrived at the scene. They said they were met with threats to kill them, their dog, and burn their home down. Maybe that's why they didn't want to stay in their home? I would just left the property, but maybe there wasn't a way out since it's a private area? I don't know.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Waiting for the decision of the prosecutor vis a vis the McCloskey (?).

Save    
Kathy

She has bare feet. She must be really scared. What if she had to run?

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Here the libs go again, they give the NOT so peaceful protesters a pass and make fun of the home owners trying to protect their property. Wait til they come to your door.

6 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Just like always people post headlines of what they want things to look like but actually aren't. Misinformation over and over.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

joaniepoanie:

If the couple felt so threatened why not stay inside behind locked doors and call the cops? They don’t look very scared or frightened.

They did stay in, eating dinner, crowd broke an iron gate into their private neighborhood and street and armed men were in their yard.

They DID call the police.

I don't blame them, in their own home eating dinner, in a private, gated neighborhood, and protesters and rioters broke the gate and overran the neighborhood, some of them armed, yelling, chanting and threatening and were on their property, also threatened to kill their dog.

They were restrained in my opinion.

And it's POLICE OFFICERS.

Many people that refer to law enforcement or police officers as "cops" are the same type that refer to them as "pigs" and usually have personal experience on the arrest end.

Police officers in general don't prefer this reference.

There is some dispute as to why they were decades ago referred to as "coppers," being those who capture to references to buttons or badges, but it is SLANG.

What people need to understand is that not everyone is a liberal coward, only loud and brave in a crowd like these thugs.

What people need to understand is that if someone is "threatened" it doesn't necessarily involve "staying inside behind locked doors" and calling the POLICE OFFICERS. By the way, what does one need to do to look "scared or frightened?" They certainly did to me.

I guess the liberal idea of that is cowering and shaking and crying.

We have seen that police officers have been told by liberal mayors and governors to STAND DOWN and let people burn businesses, steal everything they have including fixtures, hurt poeple, kick and shoot people, harrass people, destroy personal property, trespass, so why would these poeple in their own home think the police would do anything even if they did show up before these thugs did something?

Cower and wait in the home for them to break in?

The police have been prevented from doing their jobs.

I understand why they don't want to do their jobs--they are not appreciated, they are misjudged and disrespected. Since they can't, citizens are arming themselves and will protect themselves. This is happening all over the country--people that did not already have firearms are buying them and preparing to protect themselves because the tax dollars they pay for that protection are not being used for that.

If democrats are going to green light this mess they've been encouraging and greenlighting, they can face the consequences of this, which is just starting, when people's lives are threatened, and those of their loved ones, when they're minding their own business and interrupted, yelled at, cursed, stopped, and their rights are infringed upon trying to drive in a road to get home, get to the doctor's office, whatever.

2 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

“Many people that refer to law enforcement or police officers as "cops" are the same type that refer to them as "pigs" and usually have personal experience on the arrest end.”

Lol and many people *who* refer to law enforcement as “cops” are just regular people who mean no disrespect by it and have never been on the wrong side of the law.

It’s very common vernacular.

I wonder if Trump tweeting garbage all day will have any permanent negative affect on his young son? Or on his ability to do his job as President of the United States of America?

2 Likes Save    
vedabeeps

“Many people that refer to law enforcement or police officers as "cops" are the same type that refer to them as "pigs" and usually have personal experience on the arrest end.”

Wrong. None of the cops I know mind it, they even use it.

3 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Do those two look like they know how to use a gun? It looks like they are just as likely to shoot one another.

3 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

I believe they felt threatened. I do know that area of St. Louis -- it's trendy and expensive but it's a very inclusive area. Those private streets surround a very urban area of restaurants and shops. The private streets are historical treasures and the houses were not always expensive; now a rather expensive but diverse neighbourhood,

That said -- the picture doesn't tell you any of that. The President tweeted it as a message to his base. He is despicable times ten.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Heard cops using the term at a City Council meeting recently - and there was no emotion - just simpler than 'police officer'.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Very generic statement - kinda works both ways at times (a bit confused about the 1st part but just a tiny bit):

"Just like always people post headlines of what they want things to look like but actually aren't. Misinformation over and over."

Save    
Iris GW

Are gun sales up yet?

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"I don't understand why the President of the United States retweeted it without comment."

Anyone following current events already knew the story.

A trespassing mob invaded a gated neighborhood where they made threats against the homeowners. The homeowners let it be known they were armed, which offended the mob, as well as Democrats.

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

But why did the President of the United States retweet the video, adopted?

That was the statement you quoted but somehow failed to address.

2 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Iris, I believe it is part of Trump's campaign strategy, taking advantage of the BLM protests to stir up white grievance and fear. Several of the recent posts of the usual suspects are echoing this theme and suggesting the country is going to be ruined if Biden is elected. Trump is counting on people who see that photo as representative what is happening everywhere.

4 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Without comment, Trump retweeted an ABC News video showing a white couple responding to Black and white protesters marching past their St. Louis mansion. In the video and others on social media, some protesters can be seen pausing to film or photograph the couple, while others can be heard to shout, "Keep moving!" and "Let's go!"

The protesters had been heading to the home of St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson to demand her resignation after she read out the names and addresses of people calling for police reform in a Facebook Live event last week. Krewson apologized and took the video down.

The protestors made no threats against the people with the guns.

4 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

Trump just likes to stoke hate. It's what he does best.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Trump likes to expose what is happening when you want to erase the Police.

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Americans seem a very fearful people. Living in gated communities and armed to the teeth. Maybe the society you have built needs some work. And I do not mean more police and more jails.

6 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Well jmm1837- when you live near Democrat run cities, one must protect themselves. New York, LA, Chicago, Saint Louis, Seattle, etc.

Funny, I think that Dem Mayor from Saint Louis even lives in that gate guarded community that has made the head lines this last weekend. Tells you plenty!

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Look at Seattle who harbors the nation of CHOP. Democrat mayor calling it the "Summer of Love" while black on black killings take place in a so called "peaceful protester" area???? I would called it the * Summer of Liberal Luncacy!*

Save    
queenmargo

Democrat run Chicago, home of Obama with the most violence and killings.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

when you live near Democrat run cities, one must protect themselves.

Born, raised, and live in Los Angeles -- never felt I needed a weapon to protect myself.

With the gentrification of Venice, the homes here are worth far more than that of the pistol-packing momma in the photo, so the excuse about needing guns due of the value of the house won't wash.

Save    
queenmargo

Venice is a far cry from LA compared to this gated guarded community near Saint Louis.

1 Like Save    

Venice is a far cry from LA

You've got to be kidding!

And I've lived most of my life outside of Venice, and still didn't feel the need for a gun.

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Let me put it this way. If the only solution to violence, or the fear of it, is more cops and more guns and more fenced enclaves for the better off, then you are acknowledging just how deep the fractures run and how divided the society is. This is not an issue of governance: you do not see these issues in comparable countries, regardless of whether the local government leans left or right. This is an issue of disparity, distrust, and fear within your society. And cops can't solve that.

9 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"With the gentrification of Venice, the homes here are worth far more
than that of the pistol-packing momma in the photo, so the excuse about
needing guns due of the value of the house won't wash."

This is America. Where did you get the idea the homeowners needed an "excuse" to protect themselves or their property? Americans are not obligated to roll over for trespassers.

1 Like Save    

Please read my comments, and not your twisting of what you want me to be saying.

Let me spell it out clearly: I live in an expensive home (thanks to my husband's purchase of the house decades ago when the area was considered quite sketchy), and I don't feel the need to have a gun to protect myself or my property -- as suggested above that every resident should if they are in a city with Democratic control of local government.

No gun. Not prior to gentrification when drug dealing and addicts were common, not after gentrification when BLM supporters were marching in my neighborhood -- on four separate occasions.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

jmm1837

Americans seem a very fearful people. Living in gated communities and armed to the teeth. Maybe the society you have built needs some work.

Let's see: Americans living in gated communities = "very fearful people".

Australians living in gated communities = ???

Exclusive, resort style living within a secure gated... 2023, Bellevue Hill, Sydney, New South Wales This ideally proportioned 4-bedroom townhome is nestled away in quiet landscaped gardens of the prestigious Bellevue Terrace'.

760 Houses in Queensland from $175,000. Find the best offers for houses gated community queensland. Brick and tile to stand the test of time. Casa bella villas have a reputation for being well constructed and finished. Here is a great opportunity to live in. Looking for two safe and secure residence

Approximately 100,000 people live in gated communities in Australia (Burke, Montefiore and Atkins, 2006). Numbers of gated communities and their residents in Australia may be increasing in line with an ageing population who desire attractive environments with …

New Homes in Melbourne’s Gated Communities. Gated communities in Melbourne let you and your family enjoy a safe and peaceful lifestyle. There are 7 gated communities in Melbourne with 38 new homes available for sale from 7 hardworking homebuilders. You can invest in your brand new dream home in a safe, gated community in Melbourne.

Etcetera...

Save    
elvis

With the gentrification of Venice, the homes here are worth far more than that of the pistol-packing momma in the photo, so the excuse about needing guns due of the value of the house won't wash.

Good to know, Nancy. If someone tries that excuse, you'll be ready.

Save    
jmm1837

Elvis - there is a big difference between the comparatively high-end gated communities for the moneyed classes in the US, and the medium density retirement villages and condo/apartment complexes in Australia. As your own material points out, very few Australians live in "gated communities" and the ones who do are mostly seniors wanting access to facilities (pools, bowling greens, maybe tennis courts), and potentially, in-home care, without having to do property upkeep. And for your info, nothing in the price range under $200,000 is even middle range in Aus, never mind an exclusive property for folks with money. I checked the website of one of the retirement villages in my area, which is by no stretch the most expensive place in the country, and the cheapest available property was a 2 bedroom apartment for $550,000. Still, I suppose you might call the retirement villages "gated communities" (except many of them don't have gates or security guards) but they are a far cry from the gated communities of the US.

I notice you didn't make any comment about the other half of my point: the apparent need to have guns on hand for self protection.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Owning a gun is a no-brainer. If you never need it, excellent! If you do need it, and you don't have it, tough luck and bye-bye.

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

I've never lived anywhere where I needed a gun - and I've lived in quite a few places. The odds of my getting shot where I live now are infinitesimal. I don't need a firearm, and I don't need a gated community, to feel, and to be, safe. Perhaps you need to ask why you can't feel as secure in your society as I have felt in the ones I've lived in.

1 Like Save    
Gizmo

queenmargo

Democrat(sic) run Chicago, home of Obama with the most violence and killings.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The 'most violence and killings'...

I know the befuddled Trump thinks the same

Old saying, Say what you know and know what you say

BTW, a tip, since you're a Trump supporter...don't ingest disinfectant.

1 Like Save    

I don't need a firearm, and I don't need a gated community, to feel, and to be, safe.

Ditto.

Perhaps you need to ask why you can't feel as secure in your society as I have felt in the ones I've lived in.

Good comment.

The times I did feel/do feel insecure were/are due to acts of nature -- wild fires, flooding/mud slides, earthquakes.

2 Likes Save    
cecily 7A

I'm glad to live in a state where brandishing is a crime.

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

This was shared on our church's FB page - from a minister who was there. She related that the couple are both attorneys. Check out the linked FB page for Jeff Hirsch for more comments by folks who were there:

Jeff Hirsch

22 hrs ·

Below is an account written by Rev. Kim Mason, the new pastor of First Unitarian Church (Waterman at Kingshighway). If you want to know what really happened from somebody who was actually there, read on. The McCloskeys are lying about pretty much every aspect of how this went down.

"The events of last night’s protest in St. Louis has gone viral, resulting in a variety of news stories and internet memes. As someone who was present, I want to respond to fallacies that have made their way into the news.

In response to a recent action by the mayor of St. Louis (see next post), activists in the city targeted the St. Louis neighborhood known as the Central West End, where the mayor lives. The congregation I serve is located in the Central West End as well - and has been since 1917. The Central West End, once visible proof of suburban white flight with many abandoned and neglected buildings, is now an urban hot spot in the city with increasing development and trendy shops and restaurants.

As a minister serving in the Central West End, and as a participant in recent protests within the city, I attended last night’s protest as well. The event began at a major business intersection of the Central West End. It then moved onto Kingshighway, a main north-south thoroughfare of the city. After stopping traffic at two intersections, the protest then moved north on Kingshighway, passing gated communities on either side of the street. I was on the western edge of the street when a participant began trying door handles of the side gates on various streets. The gates to these streets are characterized by large ironwork double gates for cars to pass through and small side gates for people to pass through. Several of the gates were locked, when on one street, the gate opened.

Upon realizing they could access this gated community, protest organizers encouraged the majority of protestors to continue north on Kingshighway and for a smaller group to pass through the gate into the private community. To be very clear here - the gate was unlocked and the protestors had to pass through the opening single file. The protest split, the larger group continuing to move north and a smaller group gathering at the gate to pass through. I remained stationary on Kingshighway, just north of the gate. As people passed through the gate organizers directed protestors to stay on the street and off of people’s lawns. A bit of a bottle neck formed at the gate but then word filtered back that the residents of the first house on the street were standing on their front porch pointing guns at protestors.

Upon hearing this, I headed one block north to the church where members and staff were waiting. Three years prior police responded to a protest at the mayor’s house by kettling participants and spraying them with tear gas. The church was prepared with food, water, masks and hand sanitizer on the chance that police would respond similarly. Upon hearing that residents were brandishing guns at protestors, security in the area, including police in two unmarked SUVs across from the church, chose not to respond.

The main phalanx of the protest turned and traveled down the street in front of the church and then around the corner to the mayor’s house where they proceeded to sing, chant, and make speeches before sitting down and occupying the street. This was not a “peaceful” protest. It was loud and it was disruptive. And throughout the five plus hours of protest it was non-violent - as evidenced by more than one neighbor who came out on the street and watched the protest while holding a drink. Chants included statements such as “If we don’t get no justice, they don’t get no peace,” “Black Lives Matter,” “What do we want? Justice! When do we want it? Now!” and “Respect Us or Expect Us!”

The couple that responded to protestors with guns are two wealthy and powerful attorneys. They are telling a story that includes a mob of protestors breaking down and destroying a wrought iron gate, brandishing weapons, and threatening to kill them. Their account is simply not true. What did happen is that two privileged people had their complacency disrupted and responded with violence. What did happen is that two white people threatened a group of non-violent black people with guns and the police chose not to respond. The public outrage over the actions of this couple is gratifying. The memes are amusing. But y’all, I invite you to think instead of all the times someone called the cops to report a person of color with a gun and they DID respond. Tamir Rice’s 18th birthday was last Thursday. May he rest in power."

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Here's one of them:

Brad Sarno

This is all true and accurate. As a person who instead DID go thru the perfectly fine, open gate that enters onto the street & sidewalk, I can testify to the fact that Mr. McClosky already had his assault rifle before anyone entered Portland Place. Nobody ever went on HIS property, only the street and sidewalk. Nobody had any interest in their house or them until they were angered by his violent position and then his wife's incredibly dangerous gun waving and pointing - FINGER ON TRIGGER - AIMED AT CHILDREN - AT ELDERLY PEOPLE - AT ME. I stopped to take a few dozen photos. Here's a fave. They had absolutely no threat against them, zero. They were simply miffed that their street was momentarily not feeling as isolated as they were accustomed to. That was the spark of their anger, not threat. They are despicable, notoriously unethical, trump-supporting, ambulance chasing trial lawyers. Their neighbors joined us for a bit and talked about how the people on the street really hate them, said they were the "pariahs of Portland Place".

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Tech The Inevitable Future of Drones Around Your Home
As Google joins the push for airborne deliveries, it seems only a matter of time before neighborhoods are buzzing with drones. Is that OK?
Full Story
Man Spaces Why Men Really Do Need a Cave
Don't dismiss cars, bars and the kegerator — a man space of some kind is important for emotional well-being at home
Full Story
Materials Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
With client trust and satisfaction at the heart of our approach to the homebuilding process, Hartley Homebuilding... Read More
ADR has over 25 years of residential remodeling experience in MD and VA and can handle any size project. We work... Read More