Can we mention

HU-274840647

Israel on this forum? I ask because they are just about to annex more of Palestine and I don’t think they shoul.

SaveComment27Like1
Comments (27)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haydayhayday

Sure you can.

Racism, but you won't get much discussion about it.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

It's gotten to be quite fashionable to discuss the Black/White racism in this country and everyone's on board.

Israel is still a little too intimidating for most of these brave warriors.

Hay

Save    
ubro(2a)

Well I for one think Israel's behaviour is appalling and that has nothing to do with race.

6 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

What term would you use instead of racism to describe it?

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Ethnic cleansing?

Hay

Save    
ubro(2a)

I apologize, I did not mean Israel's behaviour had nothing to do with race, but my objection to their actions.

Save    
haydayhayday

So, you're saying that the state of Israel is a racist state?

Hay

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

From past discussions we know that people will perceived any criticism of Israel as ant-Semitism which it can be but in this case it is not. You would think that the continuing attempts to wipe them off the face of the earth would have taught them something but it hasn't.

2 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

No reason not to discuss it. What more do you want to say? Israel is absolutely to be condemned for its annexations and policies. I speak as one who has been there several times, have Jewish friends on both sides of the issue. I think Trump's "Jerusalem is the capital" pronouncement adds one more reason to despise him as president and human being. Having a Jewish son in law doesn't give him any special insider perks.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by HU-274840647
lakeaffect

I’m not sure if Israel is a racist state per se, IMO it is a theocracy masquerading as a democracy, and theocracies, by definition, foment hatred against the ‘other’, and the ‘other’ is usually of another race. The citizens of Israel, like the citizens of the US, are more progressive than their government, my quarrel is with the government, not the citizens.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by HU-274840647
HU-274840647

Okay I am not alone then.

Can I ask, what is the justification for this behaviour and our support of it?

Save    
Bookwoman(7a PA)

As far as our support goes, look up 'Christian Zionism'. Our foreign policy with regard to Israel is heavily influenced by evangelical Christians and their ideas about the 'end times'.

11 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

If you are the Israeli government getting rid of people who are suspect to you and replacing them with your own citizens-a Machiavellian sort of solution to taking over a territory, is the reason that comes to mind but I would love to hear from people closer to the problem.

1 Like Save    
Lulu Smith

"I speak as one who has been there several times, have Jewish friends on both sides of the issue"

Some of my best friends are Jews.

Save    
Iris GW

I wish we'd stop giving Israel so much support. Their behavior doesn't warrant it.

1 Like Save    
HU-274840647

Not Jews lulu, Israel

Save    
bleusblue2

I speak as one who has been there several times, have Jewish friends on both sides of the issue"

Some of my best friends are Jews.

~~~

cheap shot -- context please

1 Like Save    
Sue 430

I have never understood why it’s fine for us to criticize our own government, but whoever criticizes the Israeli govt is immediately accused of anti-semitism. I don’t agree that we should support them no matter what they do.

9 Likes Save    
FinallyHome

^^^This.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Since when is Palestinian a race?

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

In the context of the area Palestinians do I think qualify as a race in an area where everyone is Semitic since race is an elastic term with a fluid meaning. Palestinians are not Jewish and vice versa. I get the position of Jews not wanting to be at risk but Palestinians are pushed out of their own homes and land. This is a very old dynamic that we are seeing played out there. Painful. If you are Jewish how do you do what has been done to you?

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

What is it about correlating Jews anywhere in the US to Israel? It's like I should stand up for Britain every time? Or all of us should consider Africa our homeland since they feel like Homo sapiens evolved there ....

Save    
HU-274840647

AOC is leading the charge to try and stop this.

Save    
Lulu Smith

"I speak as one who has been there several times, have Jewish friends on both sides of the issue"

The friend argument is an argument used by people who want to claim knowledge about and/or sympathy with a group, by referring to their "friends" belonging to this group. It is commonly used to clear and absolve oneself from suspicion of racism, xenophobia or other kinds of prejudice. It is a particular form of the "Not prejudiced, but…" statement.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Friend_argument

Save    
linaria_gw(zone 7 (about))

I came across this channel by accident

I quite like their take on the planned occupation

which is wrong in so many ways

and note that both Israelis and Palestinians are protesting

and yes, it is possible to point out Israel violating international law without being anti sem*tic (sorry, was not sure whether this is a trigger word for pulling a post)

Save    
bleusblue2

Lulu Smith

The friend argument is an argument used by people who want to claim knowledge about and/or sympathy with a group, by referring to their "friends" belonging to this group. It is commonly used to clear and absolve oneself from suspicion of racism, xenophobia or other kinds of prejudice. It is a particular form of the "Not prejudiced, but…" statement.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Friend_argument

~~~

I wasn't going to bother responding to the first comment that equated my statement with "Some of my best friends are Jews." I was stating a fact. I have Jewish friends on both sides of the debate. At first I was going to say I have "ISRAELI" friends on both sides of the debate but that would not have been accurate -- there are Arabs who are Israeli citizens and I don't have any personal friends among them. I was not making a "friend argument" I was stating that I am familiar with the issue -- my opinions don't only come from the press -- as I have friends who live there and even they don't agree. I could give you more "Jewish cred" but I am not going to feed this gilb distortion. Stick to your dictionary definitions if it pleases you.

Save    
HU-274840647

Jericho is a city in Palestine, it is one of the oldest cities in the world and holds historical interest relevant to civilization. Jericho is mentioned in the bible when it was sacked by Israelites. Jericho is in the front line of the annexation due to begin on July first.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
The Polite House The Polite House: What Can I Do About My Neighbors’ Trash Cans?
If you’re tired of staring at unsightly garbage way before pickup day, it’s time to have some tough conversations
Full Story
Outbuildings We Can Dream: Look at All You Can Do With an Outbuilding
A bonus living space in the backyard expands the possibilities for work, family and fun. Here are 10 ways to imagine one
Full Story
Decorating Guides 9 Lessons We Can Learn From Drawing Rooms
Let these formal rooms inspire you to create entertaining spaces that encourage conversation, music and games
Full Story
With over 30 years experience, Executive Craftsman is dedicated to maintaining and upgrading the exterior and... Read More