SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelia07

Recessing a Refrigerator

shelia07
3 years ago

I'm looking for information and ideas about an idea I have to recess a refrigerator. I have two refrigerators - one in my kitchen and one in my utility room. They are back to back with a wall between them, which I am pretty sure is load-bearing. My utility room is narrow and the max extension from the wall into the room is 35". My kitchen refrigerator is on a wall with cabinets and I would love to have a full-size refrigerator with the appearance of counter-depth. I have read a couple of discussions on here where people have cut into the wall behind the refrigerator and recessed it a few inches so that the refrigerator does not stick out so far into the kitchen. It seems like all of those threads are from quite a few years ago. Did it work? Do you love it? Did the house fall down? LOL!

I am planning for a kitchen remodel soon and plan to get all new cabinets, appliances, etc. I have an idea about bumping out just the section of wall between the refrigerators (not the whole wall) by a few inches to allow me to have the best of both worlds - a full-size refrigerator in the kitchen that looks counter-depth and a counter-depth refrigerator in the utility room that fits in the narrow room.

I put together two 'rough' drawings to help explain this a little better. The 'Current' drawing is the current layout and the 'New' drawing is what is in my head. :) I read somewhere on here (10+ years ago) that someone had recessed a refrigerator into a load-bearing wall by cut out a stud (or two) and then installed a small header in the space where the studs were removed. It sounds simple enough... Is that structurally sound? (I know... ask a contractor!) We are talking with a contractor but not signed any contract yet - COVID has slowed down our progress to try and move forward right now. I'm still planning stuff in my head though and curious about what others may have done...

Has anyone on here done something like this or have any information, guidance, warnings, etc? Thanks! I love Houzz and all the great ideas and information available here.

Comments (11)