Report: it is 'inappropriate' for either party to dispute elections

dublinbay z6 (KS)

This news could make me a bit nervous. Authoritarianism is in our future? There go our elections!

This info is from “Democracy Maybe: Attitudes on Authoritarianism in America” from the Democracy Fund Voter Study Group.

--------------------

"About two-thirds of Americans (67%) believe it would be inappropriate if President Donald Trump loses but refuses to leave office because he claims he has credible evidence of illegal voting. . . .

When broken down along partisan lines, majorities of Republicans (56%), Democrats (81%) and independents (53%) believe Trump refusing to leave office would be inappropriate. But almost three out of 10 Republicans (29%) say it would be appropriate for Trump to refuse to leave office if he claimed to have credible evidence of illegal voting.

Over the past several weeks, the president has claimed without evidence that the election is rigged, specifically taking aim at the many states looking to expand mail-in voting due to the coronavirus pandemic. Many experts have disputed Trump’s claim.

[. . .]

In a scenario where the Democratic nominee calls for a do-over election while claiming to have credible evidence of interference by a foreign government, slightly fewer than half of all Americans (45%) say that would be inappropriate.

The partisan split is much more pronounced on this question, with Republicans overwhelmingly (69%) saying this scenario would be inappropriate compared with 27% of Democrats. And nearly 4 in 10 (38%) Democrats say it would be appropriate to call for a re-do if there were claims that the nominee had credible evidence of foreign interference.

“A substantial portion of the public appears to be quite open to invalidating the results of the 2020 election, if their side loses,” said Joe Goldman, a co-author of the report. “And a worrying minority says that political violence would be justified if the other side wins the White House.”

[. . .]

Violence after losing?

A small minority of both Republicans and Democrats also said they would turn to violence if their respective party does not win.

Among Democrats, 13% say that a little or moderate amount of violence is justified if the Republican wins the 2020 election. Another 9% of Democrats say that violence is justified a lot or a great deal. For Republicans, 11% say that a little or moderate amount of violence is justified if the Democrat wins, with an addition 10% say that a lot or great deal of violence is justified.

For both parties, that is nearly 1 out of every 4 people.

Although more than 7 in 10 Democrats and Republicans believe violence isn’t justified at all, the small percentage of respondents do represent millions of Americans.

. . . Goldman . . . warned that the internet could cultivate more violence as “everybody is operating in an environment of viralness and disinformation and often in an environment of echo chambers, in which those who share a point of view about violence can connect with one another.”

Despite a number of Americans who say they could dispute the elections, a large majority of Americans still say that a democratic political system is a good way to govern.

And more than half of Americans (58%) say it would be inappropriate for a candidate to call for a do-over election because they won the popular vote but lost the Electoral College. A large majority of Republicans (78%) would find it inappropriate compared to the 47% of Democrats."

https://news.yahoo.com/report-many-americans-inappropriate-either-080106122.html

---------------------------

Hmmm--on that last point, I wonder why Repubs. are so much more likely to consider it "inappropriate" to call for a do-over election if the Electoral winner lost the popular vote? Is that called "protecting their own"? I can't remember a Democrat being in that position.

But it is a bit disturbing that so many Americans put their party ahead of democracy.

Kate

SaveComment25Like
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

People can say what they want. We do have a Constitution that gives us the rules.

It is only Trump's core base that would say that. They can pound sand. Al Zore and Hillary Clinton also had reasons to complain but didn't for the sake of the country.

3 Likes Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

^Actually, it was to the detriment of the country in both cases. Florida should have been a do-over in 2000, and the slander of Hillary days before the election (plus Russian tampering) should have raised more red flags.

5 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Slow day to speculate about preposterous things.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

Unfortunately, I was an Al Gore supporter. I hate to admit it. I thought he would have made the best president ever. Boy, was I wrong! I was furious when he folded. All of that talk about 10,000 lawyers to protect the vote...Such a fool! lol :^)

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

So what changed your opinion of Al Gore, Lurker? And when?

This is the first time I was totally surprised by something you posted.

Kate

2 Likes Save    
blfenton

I was furious when he folded. - Lurker

But what were his choices? Tear the country apart by not accepting the ruling of the Supreme Court?

3 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

It was absolutely inappropriate for Dems to cook up the Russia Hoax in order to "dispute" the last presidential election. But they did it anyway.

Not because they support the right of the American people to choose their own president. But because they DON'T.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Adopted, I am not getting your logic. While Democrats could have "cooked up a Russia Hoax" by having superior hacking ability before the election-oh you think everything that has happened since is because Democrats did not accept the election. Oh well never mind on that. You have been told differently so may times it doesn't bear repeating.

5 Likes Save    
maddie260

Lurker, on another thread, you said you have never voted? So, to be furious with Al Gore is a bit disingenuous to me.

Save    
elvis

...it would be inappropriate if President Donald Trump loses but refuses to leave office because he claims he has credible evidence of illegal voting. . . .

Duh. It took a study group to ferret out this ridiculous nugget? TDS.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

You supported Big Al lurker? Mr Global Warming himself? hisself? Help me out here elvis!

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Nuances, elvis, nuances. Your brush is much too broad.

What the OP said, more precisely, is that Repubs. and Independents think, by slight majorities, that it would be inappropriate if Trump refuses to leave office--however, Democrats think, by a very strong majority, that would be very inappropriate.

No reason given for those findings.

However, the second question is more precise--namely, that 29% of Repubs. believe it would be appropriate for Trump to refuse to leave office if he claimed to have credible evidence of illegal voting.

That is getting close to one-third of Repubs. already converted to Trump's argument that he has been tossing around, hoping it will take seed and grow--namely, that the 2020 election is going to be rigged and therefore invalid.

Trump is already preparing the way to a perpetual presidency--for himself.

Kate

4 Likes Save    
elvis

You don't get it, kate. It's the question itself that's ridiculous, and a symptom of TDS.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

It's the question itself that's ridiculous

I wonder how many in the Trump White House in 2017 thought that a pandemic and necessary preparations were ridiculous.

We know the answer.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Prior to the 2016 election Trump floated the idea several times that the election was rigged for Clinton and that he did not plan to abide by the results. When it came out that about 3 million more people had voted for Clinton than him he claimed it was people being bussed to other states to illegally vote. In his 3 1/2 years in office he has frequently made references to a third term in office. Now he is again starting rumors that the election will be fixed for Biden. These offerings fall on fertile ground. His base can be relied on the back him up and some even promise violence. So this is a ridiculous question?

3 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

For years, Trump has been laying the ground to dispute any election that doesn't end in a win for him. No other candidate repeats, over and over, the mantra of rigged elections. There is good reason to worry about where this could end up, especially since his base behaves like a cult.

4 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Maybe Trump repeated ad nauseam that 2016 was rigged.....because he knew it was.

2 Likes Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

TDS stands for total dissolved solids

2 Likes Save    
huachuma

TDS - Total Dissolved Solids

TDS - Technical Data Sheet

TDS - Tax Deducted at Source

TDS - The Dark Side

and so on...

The Free Dictionary

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Lurker, on another thread, you said you have never voted? So, to be furious with Al Gore is a bit disingenuous to me.

I've only voted one time, for john kerry. I can still be concerned with elections and politics even though I don't vote. My area will vote blue and the state will vote red. My vote isn't going to change any of that. I'm voting this time because we finally have someone I can vote for, and feel good about it.

Al Gore lost me with his end of the world nonsense. First it was the hole in the ozone, then global warming...Then, I saw his movie where he claimed to be taken away and shown the future. That did it for me.

1 Like Save    
maddie260

Above doesn't wash with me. But, hey, whatever makes it okay for YOU? I don't quite feel the same. If you don't care enough to vote, your opinion matters nothing to me. Of course, you are entitled to one.

ETA: if only Supreme Court had tipped the balance for Gore and not for Bush. If only Al Gore had 'won'........

Save    
lurker111

I couldn't care less about what a crat thinks about me or anything else. Gore let us down before the Supreme Court decision.

If only Al Gore had 'won'........

We would all be paying to breath, reduced to solar power, eating beyond beef, and he would claim that he fixed AGW...Just like he fixed the ozone. Science would be kept to the select few, and they would tell you what to believe. Students would be learning garbage like climate change and revised history.

Thank God he lost.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Now he is again starting rumors that the election will be fixed for Biden."

All one has to do is look at Joe Biden, and watch him struggle to complete a few simple sentences. Why would Dems risk putting him at the top of the ticket when he is so frail and confused? They still have time to chose someone else.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

I fail to understand what Biden's health has to do with democrats trying to fix the election. Since there was some fixing with the local elections in shutting down polling places and placing additional restrictions on voting by mail.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Why would Dems risk putting him at the top of the ticket ...

Biden scored & scores better against trump than any of the past demo candidates, the only risk involved to our country is trump.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Contractor Tips What to Look for in a Contractor's Contract
10 basic ingredients for a contract will help pave the way to remodel happiness
Full Story
Home Tech The Inevitable Future of Drones Around Your Home
As Google joins the push for airborne deliveries, it seems only a matter of time before neighborhoods are buzzing with drones. Is that OK?
Full Story
Inside Houzz A New Houzz Survey Reveals What You Really Want in Your Kitchen
Discover what Houzzers are planning for their new kitchens and which features are falling off the design radar
Full Story