Anti-vaxxers gearing up for coronavirus

HamiltonGardener

“Anti-vaccination groups in both Canada and the U.S. are positioning themselves as advocates for what they call "personal freedoms" and "medical choice" in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic — posting content online and on social media that not only targets vaccination, but also protests the closure of businesses, physical distancing requirements and the wearing of masks.”

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5627376

SaveComment20Like
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

...it's essential that public health officials, physicians and community leaders talk openly and transparently with Canadians about the vaccine development process and directly answer their questions and concerns — and they need to start now.

Of course. Give those folks^^^ a gold star!

That's a very good idea, not just for Canada, but for every country. People certainly need to know what's being contemplated for introduction into their bodies, i.e., safety, side effects, etc.

Updates during the process should be given: the good and the not so good. If the not-so-good progress reports are suppressed, there will be a very undesirable backlash when the information does get out, and it will get out. Trust will be eroded.

Transparency is the key to public acceptance, in contemplation of development of an effective, safe vaccine.

3 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

This morning on CBC the current expert was saying that the vaccine is expected to be about 70% effective. They also estimate that 70% of the population will get vaccinated but those numbers will not be enough for herd immunity, if such a thing exists for this virus.

The answer to people's concern that the process is being sped up was that only the paper work is being fast tracked, all the necessary safety precautions and human testing is the same as for any other vaccine.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

I am not an anti-vaxxer at all but I will proceed with caution on this particular vaccine for a while. It is being developed almost too quickly and so we have to judge it's safety level before actually taking it.

I don't know if you all saw 60 Minutes last night - there was a story about faulty antibody tests. The US government decided to allow anyone and everyone who developed an antibody test to market it in the US without the usual testing and controls. Turns out a large number of the tests are worthless, meaning that people think they have antibodies when they don't. So it gave a lot of people the false sense that it was safe for them to go out in the world since they thought they were immune. Not so and so they possibly spread COVID or got COVID.

I worry that this same thing will happen with the vaccine. Remember that part of the testing of the vaccine is to make sure it doesn't have any longer term effects which clearly cannot be done in less than a year. The shortest vaccine development to this date was Mumps - it took FOUR years.

8 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

there was a story about faulty antibody tests. The US government decided to allow anyone and everyone who developed an antibody test to market it in the US without the usual testing and controls. Turns out a large number of the tests are worthless, meaning that people think they have antibodies when they don't.

Jerzee,

Its the same thing with the nose swabs. There were tonnes of false positives and false negatives at first, so people were quarantining for no reason after a false positive and some were out after a false negative.

The good news is that both types of tests now have become much better, much more accurate.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

HG: That is true. But the damage cannot be undone from the faulty tests and swabs. I hope that they are more circumspect about the development of this vaccine but being that it's the Trump administration I don't expect much.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

This morning on CBC the current expert was saying that the vaccine is expected to be about 70% effective. They also estimate that 70% of the population will get vaccinated but those numbers will not be enough for herd immunity,

Ubro,

This is why it is important for everyone to get vaccinated. The anti vaccine and vaccine hesitant people are going to be more of a problem than people who go to bars or beaches.

Somehow, I get the feeling many on this forum fall into the “vaccine hesitant” category.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Jerzee,

Trump administration has nothing to do with it.

The front runners in vaccine development are not American researchers or firms.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

If the antibodies only last for a couple of months, then the same is true for the so called vaccine. I won't be taking it. I'm not fan of Bill Gates and George Soros.

Save    
KarenS, NYC

From last night's 60 Minutes piece, one cannot allow this 'self-validating' of the effectiveness of tests & in future vaccines.

What this means is companies have been allowed to be the ONLY entity attesting to the efficacy (effectiveness) of their own products (Covid tests).

This foolishness should be entitled something like Fraud 101.

Hello Out There -- Wake Up Folks!!!

2 Likes Save    
linaria_gw(zone 7 (about))

one German expert I listen to regularly pointed out that there not being anti-bodies in the blood themselves does not mean that the immune system is not prepared.

He said that there are several diseases/ viruses that cause antibodies in the blood only for a short while,

but in case of a new/second contact with the virus (like Covid 19) the immune response is much faster and typically results in only mild cases

------

the other really big problem is with Donnie and his Republicans, championing "little Government" which bites you in the backside in this case

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg(6)

I'm not sure all the anti-vax posts come from well-meaning citizens. Spreading disinformation is a pretty good way to bring a country down.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Somehow, I get the feeling many on this forum fall into the “vaccine hesitant” category.

Count me in that category. While I believe in getting vaccinated, and do, I am also hesitant given the many unknowns with this virus. I also don't believe that a vaccine will be found soon so I won't hold my breath.

2 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

I know, ubro. We've had such a disastrous handling of the virus, so we are very skittish when it comes to vaccine. Some day, maybe we will have an effective, safe and readily available vaccine. At that time, anti- vaxxers will refuse so others can get the vaccine to help protect them.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

It is no wonder the public is hazy on their immune system. It is a bad sort of thing to have go wrong since immune systems are extremely complicated. People with immune system glitches know this all too well. Still most people's work pretty well and because it is not just one thing but a whole system of things not having antibodies present is not going to be a problem immediately. Presumably Corvid-19 will have faded into memory before your body forgets how to make them. That is how it usually works. I look forward to a vaccine but I sure want it well vetted. the great pity is that at the moment we cant trust the work of American companies.

1 Like Save    
elvis

nickel_kg(6)

I'm not sure all the anti-vax posts come from well-meaning citizens. Spreading disinformation is a pretty good way to bring a country down.

So is spreading a virus.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

So tell that to Trump who doesn't want people wearing masks Elvis.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"Somehow, I get the feeling many on this forum fall into the “vaccine hesitant” category."

I'd fit into that category. I'm hesitant about all drugs and vaccines. I typically get a flu shot these days (because I'm old), but reluctantly.

1 Like Save    
jmm1837

I doubt any vaccine will be licenced anywhere until it has been run through all the appropriate testing protocols. If I recall, the ebola vaccine, which is effective but has side effects, has still only been used under emergency provisions and is not yet fully licenced - and that's after five years or so of development. The standards for vaccine safety are pretty high.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

It is no wonder the public is hazy on their immune system. It is a bad sort of thing to have go wrong since immune systems are extremely complicated.

I agree it is not something to fiddle with if there is no need. When I worked in the lab years ago, we were just as concerned over hyper active immune systems as low immune systems.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

The standards for vaccine safety are pretty high.

Unless you live in Africa or Brazil and your name is Bill Gates. You can try anything on the population.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Call How Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story