Will Trump Throw in the Towel?

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Since yesterday a number of people on TV have been talking about him not running for a second terms. Any thoughts?

SaveComment128Like1
Comments (128)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HU-274840647

To lose and make it look like winning is the dilemma

4 Likes Save    

That's is exactly what my DH was saying. Anything that makes him look like a loser is off the table.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

I hope he hangs in and loses big . My worry is if he doesn't run Haley will and if she does I think she wins.

4 Likes Save    
leona_2008

What do they know that we don't? Is there video of trump and Putin conspiring to bring the US to its knees? And it's already in the hands of Democrats? Short of something of that magnitude, I don't see trump giving up the ego fest/greatest scam of his lifetime.

6 Likes Save    
deegw

The office of the presidency protects him from pending investigations. He's not going to willingly give up the protection.

10 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I think trump is in a dilemma. He never wanted to be president and didn't expect to win. But now that he's in, putin won't let him out. And I suspect there are a lot of monied interests who have major incentive to see him stay in office. So the only way out is to lose, but not look like he's trying to lose.

The only problem with the above scenario is that requires far too much strategic thinking...and trump never does that...he's only ever seat of the pants. I'd be very surprised if *this* gop would ever give him a "goldwater" moment like nixon got.

5 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Another problem with Trump's lose scenario is the multiple lawsuits waiting for him when he is out of office. I would imagine it scares the bejesus out of him.

5 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Hard to say because it depends on how scared the GOP members of the House and Senate are and what they fear most--Trump's mean tweets, losing control of the Senate or losing the Trump base vote. Trump's base. If it is Trump mean tweets or fear of losing the vote of Trump's base, they'll do nothing and hope even if Trump is not elected for another term, the GOP holds the Senate. If it is losing control of the Senate, I could see the GOP members making quiet efforts to convince Trump to resign in favor of Pence by dangling a full pardon and whatever other goodies they can come up with. This could work if they get to Trump at a point where he is really down. I would think a loss in the Supreme Court on the release of his tax returns or huge backlash due to the mishandling of the Russian bounty payments matter might suffice or perhaps a House investigation of the mishandling of the Russian bounty payments matter if the facts warrant it, might put an end to Trump's desire for a second term but here's the rub.

We have no idea what dirt Putin has on Trump and it could be fear of exposure by Putin that motivates Trump to seek another term in office, with Trump hoping if he continues to be Putin's useful idiot for another 4 years, Putin will keep whatever dirt he has on Trump a secret.

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I think the only graceful way out would be for him to resign due to health issues, but then again, his ego won't let him admit he's anything but the healthiest person to ever walk the planet, so there's that.

7 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Being in office has held the criminal charges at bay.
He would be there on a gurney hooked up to life support.

4 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I think he could have stepped down very easily. Say “he doesn’t need this” and blame the thankless left, say he’d rather be golfing (more). No one would call him a loser beyond those of us who already call him a loser.

Not at this point though. How would it even go down? How could they set up campaigns and new primaries so quickly? He’d leave the party in a mad scramble, a total mess. And yes, he’d be criticized harshly for that.

Why are they even talking about this? As Leona asked, “What do they know that we don't?” My guess is nothing. Idle fantasizing.

3 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Will you still love him, QM, if Trump resigns? Just curious and you do not have to answer, of course.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

The lying in trump never retreats, he's an advanced liar.

13 Likes Save    

The Bounty story isn't going to go away and if it's true that soldiers died because of it, just shouting Hoax is not going to do the trick. He will be damaged goods. On the other hand we are two months away from the convention is that even takes place. The states will be printing ballots soon.

I personally don't want to see him resign; I want to see him trounced decisively at the polls.

6 Likes Save    
how2girl

He won’t resign nor be forced from within, they’re all too in deep/scared of who he’ll take down with him. Their best option is to prop him up until the vote.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Will you still love him, QM, if Trump resigns? Just curious and you do not have to answer, of course.

I imagine I would go back to the way I was pre-Trump presidency. However, I don't believe Trump will resign. IF, I am wrong, and he does, it would be a yuge disappointment.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

He might be negotiating, before he resigns, with the RNC for a guaranteed pardon. He resigns, Pence pardons him, then the normal election process continues.

Kate

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

He resigns, Pence pardons him, then the normal election process continues.

I don't believe there will ever be a "normal" election process again. The left will reap what they sowed.

Save    

Who says that Pence wouldn't have to resign also if he is part of the Bounty scandal?

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Why did Pence throw some paper towels? ;P

Save    
soupgirl53

Interesting discussion. Resigning for health reasons paired with a pardon from Pence might appeal to Trump as he cannot be blamed for not running for a second term if he is in poor health.

Save    
queenmargo

Interesting delusional discussion. Trump ain't going nowhere. He will stay put in the White House.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

He will stay put in the White House....

Not past 1/20/2021 he won't. I have a feeling after this scandal, it'll be a no brainer which side the military will come down on if it comes to that...

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

Soupgirl , his ego would never permit that. If he goes, big if, it will have to be for some reason that makes it look like a win. If he leaves he will start up some sort of media empire and the base will eat it up. He will never , ever really go away.

I don't see it happening but I think the GOP could use the convention to nominate someone else. I don' t think that it would automatically be Pence. If it doesn't happen by the convention it would be a huge problem to run anyone but Pence.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

3 Likes Save    
blfenton

He may prefer the idea of being a "past president" to being a real president. He can still go and give lying rally-like speeches to his adoring base, he can still tweet to his cold heart's content, he can play golf ad nauseam, he can have another ghost writer do a tell-all book about the bestest greatest presidency the world has ever seen, he will always be referred to as Mr. President, he can go back to his gilded New York condo and his lawyers can tie up the courts for decades until after he has gone.

Really, what is there not to like?

ETA - and the Supreme Court decisions have really got to be pi$$ing him off.

cross-posted with maifleurs - I don't think he will ever admit to having covid , either fake or real.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

If he was wise he would disappear for a couple of days. Announce that he had a small bout with the virus and for health reasons resign. No need to actually have the virus. However whoever set him up for the win may not be happy enough with that. He would have to negotiate with them somehow showing that it would be better for them that he resign rather than the various investigations after the bounty allegations start.

Off topic but it will be interesting to see if there are investigations of the bounty.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Blfenton, but he will never truly be a member of the past President's club.

1 Like Save    
HU-274840647

Mai fleur, isn’t that what the British PM did? Just like him Trump could return a hero,two weeks in his bunker and he reappears as mr strongman

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

If you're wondering where this is coming from...see fox news:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-polls-republican-gop-operatives-possible-drop-out

A stretch of lackluster polling for President Trump has some Republican operatives nervous about the president’s reelection prospects in November – with some even floating the possibility for the first time that Trump could drop out if his poll numbers don’t rebound.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I'm still trying to figure out what they're going to put in the trump presidential library once he's gone...the Mueller report? Copies of Dick & Jane?

5 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

You may be right, Nana, but Trump has told us over and over again that he hates losers. If he believes he cannot win a second term, I could see him resorting to the face saving measure of either resigning due to health reasons or refusing to run for a second term due to health reasons.

Save    
Toby

Next year he's going to announce that he's running for 2024 so that he stays relevant. He'll jet around to all the red states campaigning, and they will come. He has had cheering crowds for five years and he lives for that attention. Running a media company can't give him that in-person adoration. A big plus is that another run at the presidency will give liberals heartburn. He will drop out before the primaries because Niki is going to be their next nominee, but in the meantime, nothing much will change in Trumpworld.

Save    
terezosa / terriks

Here's a more accurate depiction

8 Likes Save    
maifleur03

HU that is not what the British PM did. He actually had the virus. My scenario Trump just plays like he had it and it was so mild it was over in a few days. It saves face and his followers can tell themselves he did it for the nation.

Save    
soupgirl53

If Trump announcing a run for the Presidency in 2024 means we fired Trump on November 3, 2020, I would gladly take that deal!

Save    

I could see him resorting to the face saving measure of either resigning due to health reasons or refusing to run for a second term due to health reasons.

But for him that would be considered a loss also. I think his only choice is to run and then holler like a stuck pig about Voter Fraud. That would let him off the hook.

---------------

ETA - Just saw that the Iranians issued an arrest warrant for Trump and asked Interpol to help (which they won't do, of course).

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Psychologically he might not need a win.

I think if he could make himself believe that people would feel really sorry for him, that Americans would finally see that he is the true victim forced to resign by the meanies, that too would protect his ego enough to let him do what he so clearly wants: stop being president.

Save    
queenmargo

After almost 4 years the left still have NO idea who Trump is. They just resort to conspiracy theories, wishful and delusional thinking.

2 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

After almost 4 years the Cult still have NO idea of who Trump is. They have fallen for all of his lies.

16 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

It is a mistake to think that the only criticism of Trump comes from the American left QM

8 Likes Save    
queenmargo

No, Trump gets lots of criticism all around.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

He's so transparent, QM. As are his supporters.

2 Likes Save    

Ah yes, the misunderstood genius, the melancholy hero so unfairly judged by people who just don’t understand.

It’s hard to be so constantly misinterpreted, to have no one who truly understands you.

But he preservers. He never retreats. He will continue pressing on toward his Nobel goal for he holds himself above the petty grievances of lesser men.

/SARCASM

He acts like an over dramatic twelve year old and his defenders feed into it.

4 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

Or, more often he acts like an impulsive toddler.

8 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Come on guys——if Trump resigns it will be because he wants to spend more time with his family.

7 Likes Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

Re: Is there video of trump and Putin conspiring to bring the US to its knees?

No - even then, the cult would explain it away as fake news, or some such thing.

There is literally NOTHING that would change the mind of a cultist - that in fact is the defining feature of a cultist. Not all Trump voters are cultists, but there are still a persistent no. of them.

4 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

Come on guys——if Trump resigns it will be because he wants to spend more time with his family.

😂😂😂

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

He's so transparent, QM. As are his supporters.

So are the anti-Trumpers;)

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Kate

3 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

I hope you guys are happy! Now Melania and the adult Trump children are going to vote for Trump because they think that means they'll see less of him. What a way to get out the Trump vote!

5 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Good one, soupgirl!

Kate

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

After almost 4 years the left still have NO idea who Trump is.

Actually the proof is in the pudding. Look at all those people *on the right* who willingly went to work for trump hoping and expecting the best and then came out singing a very different tune after having personal experience with the guy. Here's what they had to say about him:

• Mattis: has the understanding of a fifth or sixth grader
  • Kelly: an idiot; unhinged
  • Newman: a racist, misogynist and bigot
  • Mnuchin: an idiot
  • Preibus: an idiot
  • Cohn: dumb as s***
  • McMaster: a dope; a kindergartener
  • Tillerson: a f***** moron
  • Bannon: like an 11 yr old child
  • Walsh: like trying to figure out what a child wants
  • Nunberg: an idiot
  • Bolton: not fit for office
  • Corker: the WH is an adult day care

I'm sure there are more, but you get the idea. There is a clear consistency.

21 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

You dodged a bullet here, I used a boxing term on another thread and that was considered racist yet ‘throwing In the towel’ is okay?

Save    

Oh make no mistake HU-274840647, not a single person thought “on the ropes” was racist. That entire dialogue was 100% disingenuous.

7 Likes Save    
chisue

I've thought for at least a month that Trump is toast, and that he knows it. I only wonder how the GOP has planned the switcheroo -- and to whom.

Trump has been allowing himself to be photographed looking unwell -- the West Point stumbles and the pointed display with the water glass; exiting the copter when returning from the disastrous Tulsa rally. There are several disorders that include a shuffling gait.

Formerly silent and invisible rabbit Pence is being put out on display, walking and talking in more official roles. An 'antidote' to Biden?

Somebody else? This act is over.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"There is a clear consistency."

Yep. We only have one president at a time. The departed had needs and expectations that went unfulfilled while President Trump kept his eyes on American priorities like law enforcement, immigration that benefits the United States, and putting Americans first.

Hillary described my fellow Americans as racist, misogynistic bigots. What a coincidence to see those slurs (and more!) used against President Trump by people whose needs he failed to meet.

2 Likes Save    
vedabeeps

queenmargo

5 hours ago

I imagine I would go back to the way I was pre-Trump presidency.

Back to being a Hillary supporter/voter?

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I think it is sound that Trump doesn't actually like being president. He is lazy and it is a very busy job even if you don't do much. He absolutely loves and adores the attention. That I don't see him willing to give up. He doesn't seem to care if it is good or bad attention, he just loves having people respond to every little thing he does. If his next rally lays an egg though...that could be a problem for him. He really loves the rallies.

3 Likes Save    
kadefol

Even if pence pardons him it doesn't protect trump from state charges in
NY, of which there are plenty. Because the New York Assembly passed a
bill to close the "double jeopardy" loophole and permit state
authorities to prosecute someone who receives a pardon from the
president. So he'll get his, whether he sticks it out or not. But I
would really love to watch him hang in there until November and lose by
the biggest landslide defeat in the history of the US.

6 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

And he loves that he can bilk the taxpayers for his personal gravy train.

1 Like Save    
Moxie(Z4 St. Paul, MN)

It’s unlikely that Trump will resign. People who crave power rarely cede it before they must. What is the carrot or stick?

Trump thrives on attention, access to powerful people and chaos. No other job in the world provides the same level of opportunity for those. As POTUS, one has a broad audience of supporters and non-supporter alike. (Bad notice is better than no notice at all.) Powerful people have strong motivation to engage with a POTUS irrespective of what they think of the individual’s personality, words, actions or policies. It’s easy to ignore an X-POTUS. I’m not seeing a carrot for early exit.

There will be no “Goldwater moment.” Goldwater, Rhodes and Scott said with certainty that Congress would impeach and convict. Nixon chose resignation as less embarrassing than being removed. The Senate refused to convict Trump once and would probably do so again, so there is no threat to force him to resign.

25th Amendment, section 4? Trump isn’t acting differently than he has for his entire term, so invoking it now would look like interfering with the GOP’s nomination process. Not good optics. Unless Trump starts skipping around the White House lawn in his skivvies, that isn’t a probable option either.

Save    
Ann

No, I definitely don't think he will "throw in the towel".

FOAS had a good comment near the top of the thread which I agree with.

Save    
Nayners

Nope because his huge ego won't let him throw in the towel.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

I hope he doesn't. Not even a Brawny paper towel ....

3 Likes Save    
Ann

I know Dems on HT have been expressing a lot of confidence. Not quite to the level of predictions, but great confidence. While I'd agree the polls are not in Trump's favor at present and there is a great deal of anti Trump sentiment, I think underestimating the amount of Trump support and the discomfort with current lawlessness across this nation could be a big mistake. In no way do I think Trump is out of this race.

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

I'm not counting him out at all.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

No one who was around for the 2016 election will count him out. I just hope that everyone who wants him gone will get out there and vote.

6 Likes Save    
cattyles

I don’t see him resigning but I’d love for him to surprise me and do it. I’d rather have Pence than Haley.

3 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Ann, Trump is not the victim of the lawlessness you speak of, rather it’s enabler. It is from the chaos he hopes to gain a second term, not so that he can fix it but just to win.

5 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

From late June to early November is a long time in political campaigns.

Who knows at what stage coronavirus will be in red states, or how high the unemployment rates will be.

Putin's bounty payments may take off, or be another scandal that should outrage the public but fails.

Seems as if Trump's calling card now is law-and-order (for other people, not him) and stirring racial tensions. More dangerous divisions being promoted by Trump, but he's counting on what worked in 2016 to work in 2020.

Without his rallies full of adoring supporters, how will Trump last -- using ever more incendiary rhetoric?

If it appears the GOP will be losing the Senate, perhaps we will see some self-serving sanity from Republican politicos.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Back to being a Hillary supporter/voter?

LOL- NO

Save    
Ann

"Ann, Trump is not the victim of the lawlessness you speak of, rather it’s enabler."

I think America is the victim of the lawlessness. Good luck in convincing voters that Trump is the "enabler" of lawlessness. I think that lands squarely on the shoulders of Dems.

"Seems as if Trump's calling card now is law-and-order (for other people, not him) and stirring racial tensions."

I agree his calling card is now law-and-order, thanks to Dems and the so called protests. I don't think that topic would have played much of a role at all prior to the protests gone really bad. I think "stirring racial tensions" lands squarely on the shoulders of Dems too, in their reaction to the complete agreement to the George Floyd murder. Agreement was clearly not what Dems wanted as the aftermath of that murder.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

"Good luck in convincing voters that Trump is the "enabler" of
lawlessness. I think that lands squarely on the shoulders of Dems."

I think that ship has already sailed with the majority of American voters. They see the reality beyond the spin. Things might change but I surely do not see a shift in voter sentiment towards Trump at this time...quite the contrary.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Dandy, if your point with that poll is how far Trump's poll numbers have dropped, I'd sure agree. But, on that topic, I did notice Trump had his first leading Wisconsin poll since February - out today, showing him ahead of Biden (by just a single point).

Save    
Nana H

That number from Rasmussen was a real shocker. He always polls higher than other polls with them.

2 Likes Save    
deegw

Link to the poll?

Save    
Nana H

Wisconsin polls......the one Ann refers to is an outlier by a long shot but you got to grab on to what you got!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/wisconsin/

ETA Notice the rating of the pollster.

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

I agree that a lot of Americans are wise to Trump at this point and won't be taken in by his spin and false statements, not to mention his spectacular displays of leadership failure in 2020. He promised a lot of things that didn't happen. That's not to say conservatives didn't get anything out of him, but many more Americans didn't (not to mention all the environmental crap they didn't consider plus a huge addition to the national debt thanks to tax cuts). Trump and the GOP sold our kids down the river in several ways.

1 Like Save    
Barbara Wilson

I don’t count him out, not at all. Don’t trust him or his “people” and the crazy on that side runs really deep. They will be cornered and truly dangerous.

i fear for our country

7 Likes Save    
Ann

Nah, that's just a narrative of yours. There have been many times in recent months where other pollsters show Trump higher than Rasmussen does, and sometimes by quite a bit.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Another keeper.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I don’t count him out, not at all. Don’t trust him or his “people” and the crazy on that side runs really deep. They will be cornered and truly dangerous.

No bigger crazy than the liberal "people", they are so far gone that no one recognizes them anymore.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

Trump was okay with Putin putting a bounty on our soldiers. Nothing crazier than supporting him after that. There is nothing left to say.

9 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

I’m not even slightly concerned with the polls. I am concerned with the overconfident dem’s. This next loss is going to be sooo bad for them. Good deal we’ll still have those makeshift medical tents. If anyone, anyone in their wildest dreams thinks the majority of Americans is going to vote for more of this lunatic democrat paid for ————— (fill in the blank) behavior, we will save a bed for you in the tent.

6 Likes Save    
maifleur03

But why have those tents. You know that you were told it was all a hoax.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

No tents for those dead soldiers. Trump is a traitor.

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

How many of our people have been murdered while Donnie did nothing?

Save    
Ann

"Wisconsin polls......the one Ann refers to is an outlier by a long shot but you got to grab on to what you got!"

"ETA Notice the rating of the pollster."

Nana, I decided to look into Trafalgar group a bit. While 538 gave the pollster a not very good rating, didn't 538 miss 2016 by a significant amount?

"2016 elections

During the 2016 presidential election, Trafalgar Group correctly predicted that Donald Trump would win the election in Michigan and Pennsylvania and the Electoral College vote. Cahaly's method included asking respondents who they believed their neighbors were voting for. He said that these responses indicated to him that Trump would receive the votes of many who were reluctant to support Trump publicly. In November 2016, Cahaly told PoliZette, "I believe that demonstrates that there are still people indicating they are uncomfortable saying they will vote for [Trump], but will say that their neighbor will vote for him."[5]

The day of the election, Trafalgar Group projected Trump to win 306 electoral votes and Clinton to win 232.[6] Trump won 304 electoral votes to Clinton's 227."

Then, this is also an interesting link (below) from Politico, which takes a good look at state polls in 2016 (noting they were sparse). But, just like in the Ballotpedia clip above, Trafalgar Group is discussed. Anyway, you know of my reservations with 538, so I just thought their "rating" of Trafalgar Group needed a little closer look. As they clearly did in 2016, it appears Trafalgar Group is taking a good look at the swing states this year. Not long ago, I posted some other interesting (and not bad at all for Trump) swing state polls from Trafalgar Group. If 2016 is any indication, they did some good work in the swing state arena. But who knows, maybe 538 will do much better this time than they did in 2016 and maybe Trafalgar Group won't get so close to right (in the states and overall) this year.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/how-could-polling-be-so-wrong-2016-231092

1 Like Save    
Ann

One more about Trafalgar Group from "The Hill", 3 days ago. But, this one about Michigan instead of Wisconsin. I'm beginning to wonder what it is about Trafalgar Group that is leading 538 to give them a low "rating"?

"But more recently, the Trafalgar Group found Biden ahead by only 1 point in Michigan. Trafalgar was the only pollster to find Trump leading in Michigan in 2016, when he carried the state by about 10,000 votes.

Trafalgar weights its polls to account for “social desirability bias,” or the so-called “shy” Trump voters who do not admit to pollsters that they support him. Pollster Robert Cahaly told The Hill there are more of these today than there were four years ago."

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/504790-where-things-stand-in-13-battleground-states

Save    
Nana H

I am still not convinced of a Biden win but the numbers sure favour him on a National and State level. Long way to go yet but it ain't over ' till it' s over. Can' t blame any Trump supporter looking for glimmers.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Yeah rumors have it that trump is going to have an october surprise with a covid vaccine released then. But I doubt it.

Save    
Ann

No doubt, most of the polls really favor Biden! So much so that if the polls look anything like they do now once the election is close - and Trump wins - the pollsters should never be considered again IMO. But, they did a good job in 2018. When Trump is on the ballot, on the other hand, he seems to present some challenges to their methodologies. They struggled in 2016!

As far as glimmers, Trump supporters could use some:)

Save    
Ann

Annie, I haven't heard that rumor yet.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Yeah rumors have it that trump is going to have an october surprise with a covid vaccine released then. But I doubt it.

Remember back in 2018 just a few days before that election trump was promising another "middle class tax cut". Nothing more was said about it after the election (similar to his wonderful new healthcare plan which never existed). If he pulls a vaccine promise trick out of his hat no one but his cult will buy it.

4 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Ann

No doubt, most of the polls really favor Biden! So much so that if the polls look anything like they do now once the election is close - and Trump wins - the pollsters should never be considered again IMO. But, they did a good job in 2018. When Trump is on the ballot, on the other hand, he seems to present some challenges to their methodologies. They struggled in 2016!

Or maybe it will be proof Trump/Republicans cheated in both elections.

Save    
chisue

I don't have a link, but supposedly it has been decades since a US president lost a second term when the stock market was 'good' in November. OTOH...oh, you know.

Save    
Stan Areted

Why does anyone care?

We've heard from on high, just like last time, that Trump will not be president.

So why waste all this energy?

Enjoy the victory you've already claimed, just like last time!

4 Likes Save    

“...but supposedly it has been decades since a US president lost a second term when the stock market was 'good' in November.”

That was the case for Bush Sr. and he’s the most recent one-term president. “Decades ago” sounds so long...crazy how time flies.

Save    
Ann

Stan, your comment brought a smile to me:)

3 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

How cheering!
More dead Americans!

4 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

In 2016 there was hope in the potential, I thought draining the swamp would be good, for instance. Now we know for certain what his game is, so any vote for Trump is a vote for more of the same, ignorance is no excuse this time.

7 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

The young black vote will be much less this time around for the dem’s. They trust neither party. BLM helped in that and old white out of it Biden will help enforce (even with a female black vp) . Some elderly democrats will vote for green or anything other than, although, not Trump. I’m hearing a lot of disgust over the ignorance of some of the vandalism and lawlessness. Just enough realize the Democratic Party is not the Democratic Party of yesteryear.

Trump has gained but not much. He has lost no one. He will still be your president.

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

The young black vote will be much less this time around for the dem’s. They trust neither party.

Oh, I didn't know you spoke for the young black voters.

I'm hearing people of all ages, all races, all genders excited about voting Trump out of office before any more harm happens to America.

6 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

One has to acknowledge that at least some of the 120,000+ deceased from COVID-19 were conservative GOP voters, and more people are dying every day...

Save    
queenmargo

More cases but less dying.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

I bet those dead soldiers looked forward to coming home. They would have laughed at all the whining and tantrums over wearing masks to protect from a virus. After you’ve lived through war your perspective is different, I hear. But they are dead because trump is a traitor. They don’t get to come home and have the silly mask debate.

8 Likes Save    

Mic drop!

Save    
heri_cles

if he doesn't run Haley will and if she does I think she wins.

I don't. The former darling candidate of the Tea Party would be a disaster for healthcare in this country,,,,the last thing we need right now.

What domestic policies does she have that you favour? "Fiscally conservative" policies like reducing taxes on the wealthy, eliminating regs on corporations, repealing Obamacare, cutting Medicaid, etc) but moderate on some social issues?

Save    
Nana H

I don't favour Haley or her policies but I am a realist. I think the Republicans will come out in full throated support of her as well as a good number of Independents. . She is extremity smart. a woman of colour and has all the required experience. I think she would be very difficult to beat. Not impossible depending on the Dem candidate but very difficult

1 Like Save    
Nana H

QM, less dying , as of now, because the disease is circulating aggressively among young people and while their contraction rate has accelerated their mortality rate has always been lower.

I suspect most people in the more vulnerable age groups are still behaving as they did at the height of the disease so hopefully that will keep the mortality rate down.

1 Like Save    

God help us if being a woman of color is all that is needed to become a viable candidate. What has she actually DONE? I can't name one thing.

Methinks it's going to be more about the possibly irreversable damage that the republican party has done to this country in the last four years. You don't fix this by electing another one of them.

I just saw this - so even Fox News is suggesting Trump might drop out:

Fox News host Trace Gallagher suggested on Monday that President Donald Trump “might drop out” of the 2020 presidential race.

Gallagher made the remarks after a Fox News report speculated that Trump could exit the race “if his poll numbers don’t improve.”

“President Trump’s poll numbers declining in recent weeks amid criticism of his administration’s response to the coronavirus pandemic,” the Fox News host said, “which is leading some speculation that if his support keeps falling, the president might drop out of the race.”

Save    
HU-274840647

I just wish the Democrat party were offering a clear and positive alternative, not Trump is fine up to a point but I am fed up with the lesser of two evils choice.

Save    
Nana H

JG, I am not defending or promoting Haley. Her sucking up to Trump is disgraceful in my view and she is a war monger as far as I can tell.

However she is a woman of colour in the Republican party and they would love to be the first in the WH with the first female President! She could bring the educated suburban women back into the GOP and maybe make a dent with people of colour given her stance on the removal of the Confederate flag in NC.

She also has Executive experience and foreign policy experience. Democrats poopoo her at their peril.

Save    
cattyles

HU47, Many of us think Biden is a clear and positive alternative. You want him to juggle or what? Vote for trump if you don’t like Biden.

1 Like Save    
HU-274840647

Why write something like that when it is clearly not what I meant.

Biden is not a slam dunk as he is offering a return to the situation that existed before and the situation Trump supporters voted him in to change. Like I said not Trump is good enough for me but will a Biden presidency bring the United States the changes we so obviously need? In other words is he a visionary leader or a functionary?

Save    
dandyfopp

I want president who won't golf while Russians pay bounties on our servicemen.

Save    
HU-274840647

Exactly dandy but that is a very low bar.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

That is where we are.

1 Like Save    
bfox254

I am fed up with the lesser of two evils choice.

I don't view Biden as the lesser of two evils. We need someone like Biden who will bring stability and leadership back to our government. While he won't be the change agent some had hoped for, he is a man of great intelligence, integrity and compassion. Nothing evil about that.

4 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

That is a word twist, the phrase “lesser of two evils” does not mean either is actually evil. These are both men with less than ideal qualities for the job, but since they are the only choice we have we must choose who is the least worst.

Just consider this- if the choice was between Trump, Biden, JFK, Bill Clinton, GWB or Élizabeth Warren would you still pick Biden? BTW I do know that JFK is dead.

Save    
queenmargo

I would pick Trump;)

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I want president who won't golf while Russians pay bounties on our servicemen.

Exactly dandy but that is a very low bar.

A low bar indeed, but one trump can't even get over.

Save    
bfox254

The only one I would pick of that bunch is Warren because I think we need some new faces and ideas and I would love to see a woman as president. I hope she plays a prominent role in the new administration. The Kennedy, Bush and Clinton clans have all had their turns and I don't believe in family dynasties. Interesting that you didn't list Obama.

But there are only two choices for president. One of them is truly evil and it's not Biden.

Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

I just remember back in 2000 people complaining about how "boring" Al Gore was. What I wouldnt give for a boring, but competent, president right about now! I've got a life, I don't need a president that excites me or has to be in my face every frickin minute of every frickin day. Just do your dang job and shut up.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

The president of the United States is not an authoritarian ruler, despite the apparent GOP desire - and especially Mr. Trump's desire - for that to be so. Mr. Biden will appoint people to administer our government, and his cabinet & staff will presumably be made up of many others who will help to further the platform of the Democratic party.

Unlike GOP, Democrats believe in working for all of us, not just the privileged elite.

Save    

HU-647 just a note, I’ve only heard “the lesser of two evils” used to refer to two political choices when the person actually considers both choices immoral/unethical. I heard it as an excuse to vote for Bush 2 the second time and as an excuse to vote for Trump even though the person believed them to be unethical people.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen Details: Out-of-Sight Paper Towel Holder
See how some homeowners are clearing the counter of clutter while keeping this necessity close at hand
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Houzz Survey Results: Remodeling Likely to Trump Selling in 2014
Most homeowners say they’re staying put for now, and investing in features to help them live better and love their homes more
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: 20 Towel Racks to Better Your Bath
Sleek to quirky to rustic, these towel racks are anything but ho-hum
Full Story