SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drkate07

white roses: iceberg, bolero or flower carpet?

Kate Vasquez
3 years ago

Hi,

Newbie rose gardener here... I am trying to achieve the look of the below picture... can anyone advise what type of rose this is? Right now I am considering 1) iceberg, 2) flower carpet or 3) bolero... want to to stay 3-4' high max as its flanking my neighbor's driveway. Do any of these three have thorns??

Thanks!!

Comments (58)

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Good Golly Miss Molly!!! - Damask_rose - what a glorious picture of Iceberg!!!

• kitasei2
    3 years ago

My Iceberg defoliates from black spot right after it blooms. If you’re in the northeast, find a Kordes rose that fits the bill.

• Related Discussions

Want: white iceberg rose, russian sage

Q

Comments (2)
    I'd LOVE the shrub, I have alot of climbers. Let me know what you'd like in exchange, I have alot more than my page lists, I haven't had a chance to update it lately. thanks!! Cat
    ...See More

help with climbing white iceberg rose

Q

Comments (11)
    Originally, there were variants of Cl. Iceberg which only flowered on old wood. Reports from forty years ago when it was initially discovered stated it was. Over time, most of those in commerce here in the US have been replaced by the repeat flowering variant. Being a mutation, it can occur in as widely varying types as the standard bush and the variants of Mlle. Cecile Brunner can. If you have a once flowering Cl. Iceberg, you should be able to obtain a freely repeating one fairly easily. Shopping nurseries here in late summer and into fall, you can find many continuing to flower as reliably as any bush HT or floribunda. Kim
    ...See More

Flower Carpet Flowers came up white vs. pink this year...

Q

Comments (2)
    Were they pink last year, and white this year (a different flower altogether) or is the pink just bleached out somewhat (the flower is the same, it just looks washed out). If it is the latter, roses are sensitive to weather conditions and they just could be responding to that. Does the foliage look good otherwise--it's just the color of the flowers? If it is the former (totally different flower), I would wonder if the rootstock is taking over--though I get the impression that Flower Carpets are not grafted.
    ...See More

Crocus rose, Tranquillity or Bolero rose next to Double Delight

Q

Comments (18)
    Braveheart was my favorite new rose last year (2017) . It's so beautiful , a great bloomer, blooms are huge and full, and a wonderful deep red. It's branchy, vigorous own root and doesn't get much bs. Not sure of eventual size. Traviata is very tall and narrow here , about 7'. Crocus Rose is a great bloomer, but pretty big here. About 6' x6'. I've heard it's bs resistant but here it gets more bs than many of my Austins. English Garden is a compact Austin , pale yellow, but I'm not that crazy about the dahlia shaped petals. It can be pretty and repeats pretty well.
    ...See More
  • dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Damask your iceberg is glorious! Even here in blackspot hell she blooms and blooms nonstop and the climbing version blooms in 3 hours of morning sun. She really is a good rose. Of course in order to perform here I have to spray her, but I love her so much I am committed to it. If I lived in California I would have many of those. love your picture

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Damask: WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! that is One of the best looking if not the best looking iceberg I’ve ever seen… And I’ve seen a lot of iceberg roses as I live in Orange County where a ton of them are ground everywhere as landscape plants.

I also grow a lot of them… But none of them look as good as yours. The flowers on my iceberg roses are not as full of petals as yours… It almost looks as though yours is a different variety or sport of iceberg.

What part of California are you in? What sunset zone are you in??? I don’t know if it’s possible, but I would love to get a cutting of your iceberg.

Here’s a picture of my iceberg I took this week.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Damask: would you mind sharing your growing secrets for you iceberg???

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

I also grow Bolero. I have 2. It takes a few years to take off.. but mine have gotten bigger than expected... 3x3 - 4x4 feet... and lots of blooms and buds... a prolific bloomer for me... I love the scent and shape of the blooms.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Bolero is a beautiful round shaped plant... with flowers nearly all the way to the ground. You just have to be patient with it for the first couple of years to establish.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

We're in Southern CA (near Pasadena) and iceberg roses are truly everywhere in our neighborhood...and everywhere else.

• Kate Vasquez
    Original Author
    3 years ago

alright... I pulled the trigger on the iceberg today at the nursery. I LOVED the blossoms on the Bolero but don't think I have the patience in that front spot to have it take off. Looking for an immediate impact. Agree with the other comments... would love tips from @damask_rose_zone9b on how to get my icebergs to look like that pic!!

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    3 years ago

@Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22 your bolero is amazing! mine is on its first year so super white, was yours white when it was a baby? I’m wondering if here on the east side she will be pure white

• lindahambleton
    3 years ago

I live in Middle Tennessee and I have to stake my Iceberg ! It is so tall and the blooms are so heavy on skinny little branches. I don’t remember ever having to stake a rose bush.

• damask_rose_zone9b
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you so much everyone!

I’m not quite sure why Iceberg seems to do so well here. I’m in the Bay Area, sunset zone 15 I think, and every other house in my neighborhood has what I think is Iceberg, whether it be in bush, climbing, or tree rose form. I’m not 100% sure if our bushes are Iceberg, as the bushes came with the house (they are at least over 30 years old), but the description and pictures seem to match. They produce white double flowers with golden stamens in clusters, and orange hips in the fall if we forget to prune them, and the leaves have the same shape and glossiness. Haha, I’m not really sure if I have any special growing secrets : ). In the beginning of January, my dad fertilizes the roses with Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Care. A few weeks after he trims the Iceberg bushes down to about two feet. A few weeks after that he puts about a bag (0.75 cubic feet) of garden soil and/or manure around the base of each rose and mixes it into the soil with his shovel, then waters them with the garden hose afterwards so that the nutrients seep down to the roots. He usually does this again in the summer, and sometimes in the fall. Throughout the growing season he clears the weeds from around the base of the bushes, but instead of throwing them away he buries them between the rose bushes so that it can break down into compost. Sometimes he buries rotten fruits and vegetables or kitchen scraps between them too, but he does this mainly for the roses in the backyard. The Iceberg roses are on a sprinkler system, and get watered for 8 minutes every other day. As the blooms fade I trim them, but during the growing season I don’t trim too low because the rose produces new buds high up the stem before the original cluster has finished flowering. I will try to figure out how to ship rose cuttings once the pandemic is over. I’m not sure if I will be able to do it but I sure hope I can, I would love to share cuttings with you Ann. I hope your new Iceberg blooms beautifully for you Kate Vasquez!

Have a lovely evening everyone!

damask_rose : )

Kate Vasquez thanked damask_rose_zone9b
  • Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Ceres Mer: are you growing yours in full sun or does it get some shade?

I find that mine gets more pink coloring when the whether has been cooler and when it’s gotten more open shade... when it received full all day sun... they tend to go more white... especially as they really open.

But mine has always had a touch of blush pink and creams... it was one of the traits that drew me to this rose.

So you have any pics of yours?

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    3 years ago

mine is still a baby!! Her first year, own root from northland rosarium. she gets sun until 2pm, I believe.... very healthy tho, and keeps forming new buds, she was unaffected by the sawfly invasion I had, but it is attracting some Japanese beetles 😭. I was hoping for some pink as she is in front of 3 Olivia’...

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

CeresMer: I would be patient and and give her time. I’m confident she’ll come through with her blush color for you once she matures.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

CeresMer: that combo of those two roses is going to be so lovely.

• Chloe Keller
    3 years ago

@Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22 Hi Ann! You mentioned growing roses in Orange County 5 min. from the ocean. I live near Rancho Santa Margarita and have been trying to find the perfect white rose. I LOVE David Austin roses, but have noticed the ones around me don't bloom year round. Do your Bolero bloom year round? I'm thinking of having them in front of my window near my entrance, but really want them to bloom year round. Also, do you have certain companion plants that work well? I hear about salvia, but there are so many kind. Do you have a few winners? I LOVE your Bolero. They are sooo gorgeous!

• kathyc_z10
    3 years ago

@Chloe Keller I live in the same area near RSM and have Bolero. Highly recommended for our area. Super tough, can really take the heat, blooms a lot, and Austin-like bloom shape, great scent. Also blooms with some shade. Mine was blooming with about 10 blooms when I pruned it a couple weeks ago, even in mostly shade. Believe I got mine from Green Thumb off El Toro about 5 years ago and it is doing great!

• Chloe Keller
    3 years ago

@kathyc_z10 Kathy, thank you for your reply! All the info is greatly appreciated. I went ahead and stopped by the Green Thumb today and scored one more Bolero! Excited to try it out. Do you find the Iceberg blooms more than Bolero, or are the blooms around the same? I'm open to tips on how to have constant blooming throughout the year. My neighbors have Icebergs and they are all full blooms right now and have been. Also, do you have another favorite white rose that get's taller?

• susan9santabarbara
    3 years ago

I love Iceberg, but my favorite white floribunda is Saratoga, by far. Excellent substance, blooms a lot, and the blooms look like gardenias. I have three of them. I just received Bolero as a bare root, so we'll see if it is as good as I've read.

• Chloe Keller
    3 years ago

@susan9santabarbara Good to know! I'm going to check out the Saratoga.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Chole Keller: I’m just slightly north of you in Orange County. If I could have an entire hedge of Boleros... I would. The blooms come in various shades of cream, white with a touch of blush pink in cooler for shady areas or during the cooler parts of the year.

In our year-round warm climate bolero will get much bigger than what’s written on the tag. Mine is about 4-5 years old in the ground probably 4‘ x 4‘ if not slightly bigger. When I purchased it it was probably about 1.5 x 1.5 feet. I love that it keeps a naturally rounded form. It does take a little break from putting out lots of blooms during the coldest parts of the winter... as do most roses. One of the best tips I can give you about this rose is DO NOT severely prune it. It likes to put most of its energy into Putting out lots of blooms... so it doesn’t like grow as much in size from year to year. So we can take a few years to get to its full size. I only dead head my Bolero roses if and when I have time. As for companion plants… I love growing small edible varieties of lavendar which only grow about 1-1.5 feet tall. They can be a bit difficult to find… As most places don’t seem to carry this variety... If you do find it they’ll usually be in the herb section of the plant nursery. It’s usually market as culinary Lavender. It has the best fragrance of all the lavenders... Slightly sweet... not to pungent and Soapy smelling... great for use in cooking. Salvia is definitely another one that’s great… Let me see if I can find the type I grow... can’t remember the name off the top my head. Another great companion plant is one called “Nepeta Walker’s Low” variety of Catmint.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Chloe Keller: here are pics of some of my Companion Plants... butterfly Bush... amazing fragrance... like sweet lilac.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Chloe: culinary Lavender... I think this variety is called Lavendula Agustifolia Thumbelina... grows to about 1 to 1 1/2 feet high... culinary Sage has beautiful lavender color blooms that attracts a lot of Pollinators to the garden… I also shared a picture of a bouquet I made using the flowers from my garden… including the butterfly Bush flowers.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Chloe: another companion I’ll be trying for the first time this year is Orlaya White Lace from seed... it’s supposed to look similar to queen Anne’s lace which is pictured above in the picture of the bouquet… But it’s supposed to be low growing and bloom prolifically throughout the season making a wonderful cut flower and fuller for both the garden and bouquets.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Chloe: I got the seed packets from local nursery... I think it was Armstrong.

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

Ann your photos are gorgeous! What is the difference between culinary lavender and other forms of lavender, if you don't mind my asking?

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Jowey Wyoming: There are LOTS and I mean LOTS of plants marketed as Lavenders... many of them you would NOT want to cook it.

Some are considered “True” lavenders like all the varieties that you’d want to used for cooking and drinks. You’ll find that if you use the wrong kind of Lavender not meant for cooking… It will have a more so be astringent taste to it… No matter how little you use it’ll still taste like you’re eating soap. Lavender varieties that I would use in cooking should be ones that have a sweeter, softer, rounder and less astringent scent. It’s really hard to describe in words, what really must be experienced. Culinary lavender is the type that is used in the famous herb combination of herbs de Provence in French cooking. Even within the family culinary type Lavender‘s you’re going to find there are many varieties to choose from, each with a slightly different scent. And can use the blossoms, stem and leaves for cooking.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Chloe: if you search for my name and bolero in houzz... A post or a couple of post should pop up where I share a ton of information and photos of my bolero rose. I currently have 2 and wish I had room for more. I adore it for flower arrangements... and the scent is DIVINE... it smells like a combination of sweet rose and Lychee tropical fruit. The only other rose that smells equally amazing to me is mademoiselle, Which smells like sweet ripe peaches... unfortunately mademoiselle doesn’t have the look I’m going for in my garden... it’s one of those roses I would grow only for the scent. Whereas has everything going for it.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Joey Wyoming: here’s some more info on the variety I grow... https://www.gardenia.net/plant/lavandula-angustifolia-thumbelina-leigh-lavender

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ann - oh!! I can't wait to smell my Bolero blooms!!! It's coming this spring!!

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

Thank you Ann!!

• Chloe Keller
    3 years ago

@Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22 thank you SO much! The information is so helpful because there is so much to choose from. I was able to find Queen Anne's Lace at Plant Depot, but am looking for the Orlaya you mentioned. I might order it online for it seems like our local vendors are out. I will post pictures once Spring hits and show you my garden that I planted . :)

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Chloe: well this is an a white rose, it is a very romantic rose in the blush color family I think he might enjoy in addition to the Romantica bolero rose... Check out Jackson Perkins “sweet rose of mine”... they’re the only ones that sell this rose… It was just newly introduced this year. The blooms remind me of Eden Climber Rose. But this has more of a shrub floribunda form. My Rose Friend, Jen who’s on here “Lilyfinch_Murrieta” grows it and has nothing but wonderful things to say about it. She share that in her garden and his first year in a pot,
    It’s already blooming prolifically. These are her pictures that I’m sharing... because the picture on Jackson Perkins website does not do it justice. I’ll be adding this one to my garden.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Chloe: Sorry for the typos above... I was using the voice texting feature on my phone. It should have read, while this is not a white rose...” I put it in a similar Color family to bolero.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Chloe: I’m going to start a new thread to discuss everyone’s favorite companion plants to grow with roses.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Wow!!! That Sweet Rose of Mine (I love the name) is gorgeous!!! :) :)

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Chloe: One more rose that I’ll be adding to my white rose collection is called Moonlight in Paris... it’s stunning and colors shift through the season as the weather changes. It’s supposed very hearty in Southern California as well as other climates, And similar in plant form and size to Bolero based on my research. Other growers have noted that it can also make a great landscaping rose. Several growers have noted that the pictures just doesn’t do this rose justice and then it seems to have a special Luminous, glowing Quality in the garden with the way that it catches and reflects light. The following pictures are not mine and just photos that I found on the Internet.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Moonlight in Paris Rose

• Chloe Keller
    3 years ago

@Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22 Ann: Moonlight in Paris is one that I've had my eye on! It's the perfect white with a hint of pint/yellow glow. It seems like Plant Depot is out right now, but they are ordering a whole new batch of roses in March. I'm really excited to see what they got.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Yes, it's one that I'd love to get too! I can never remember whose rose it was that got me to love this rose. Whoever it was...wow!! :)

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Chloe: I’m not sure if you have a good spot for a climbing rose/ or large shrub... but if you ever do and want a spectacular white-creamy-blush rose... check out white Eden. I grow mine as a large shrub and just bend the canes into a loop and tie it to itself... to encourage more bloom.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

White Eden

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

White Eden: Blooms can sometimes be more pink... while others a more creamy white with a hint of lime green on the outer petals and buds... which I adore.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ann - I can't believe how pink your White Edens are! Sooooo beautiful!! :)

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Rosecanadian: not every bloom is this pink... it’s like a box of chocolates in that way... I get a variety of colors on the same White Eden Plant... ranging from a blush pink to creamy dreamy white. They do seem to have a higher chance of presenting more blush pink when the temps are cooler.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Mmmmmmm....box of chocolates..... :) :)

I think that the color variation really adds to the beauty of this rose!

• wsckky
    last year

Hi, I am late to the thread but hopefully still be able to get some help here. We just moved into a house n the SF Bay Area - Zone 9b where the previous owner planted about 12 young icebergs in the front yard under the shades of 3 large magnolias. I was told she probergated her own roses. its late Oct. and although there a few blioms ans new buds forming, they dont look very healthy- some mildew, yellow leaves with brown edges and some black spots. i dont know if it’s the lack of direct sunlight , lack of water or the toxicity of the magnolias. They are on the East and South side of the house with dappled sunlight from morning until 3pm or so. With the water restriction, its difficult to give these young plants adequate water when any water is likely being robbed by the magnolias. Any suggestions on how to better grow the icebergs or should i replacement them with more hardy florabundas in simmlar shades? Your help and recommendations are much appreciated.

• susan9santabarbara
    last year

@wsckky Iceberg blooms like crazy in full sun. So Cal folks often joke that it is in every Taco Bell and gas station parking lot. I honestly think your Icebergs are in too much shade. The root competition from the magnolias doesn't help. Our neighbor ~a block away has a line of Icebergs planted along a split rail fence under a huge street elm tree. They've been there at least since we moved here in 1997, and they bloom well in spring, but only sporadically after that. The elms lose their leaves partially in winter, and the sun moves down in the sky, which is enough for them to bloom in the spring, but just too much shade after that. There are some roses that tolerate shade well, but in general I don't think that's a great spot for roses.

• Chloe Keller
    last year

@wsckky I agree that they like Sun, but they also love to be watered. If they aren’t getting enough water, sometimes that prevents them from blooming a lot. Another thing you should try is rose food. I used to put a rose food in my soil every 3 days and they bloomed like crazy. When I didn’t, they didn’t bloom as often. It was a low dose of fertilizer in the food so it didn’t hurt the root. Another thing is if the soil is super dense, they don’t get a lot of the water unless you soak them. Maybe create a ring for when you water, it puddles and stays in that one area to water the plant before pulling them out. I have to say my icebergs were the best constant bloomers. Also trim the spent blooms, that helps a ton!