SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eoolson

Need Help! Mixing wood floor connection systems for closet??

eoolson
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

When I purchased my home I had new click engineered wood floors (Dasso Strand Woven Bamboo) put into all of the rooms. At the time, I was ok with the closets (normal non-walk in types) left with the carpet that was in there because 1) I didn't think it was a big deal, and 2) the installer wanted an arm and a leg at the time to install the new wood floors in the closets and I was at that point where I was just "done" spending more and more money.

Anyway, the carpets in the closets not matching the floors in the bedrooms is now starting to get to me at 8 years. Yes, it was a mistake to not do this at the time, but live and learn as they say.

I need to cover about 75 sq. ft. of space. 1/2 of the closets have the wood running parallel to the openings, the other 1/2 are perpendicular. I did buy 1 extra box of flooring for "repairs", so I have about 20 -25 sq. ft. of wood on hand.

My problem is that the product that was installed 8 years ago is no longer around (Dasso S80MCL). I have found Dasso S80H though, which is the tongue and glue form of the same product, so the color and size would match.

So my question is, can I mix these two types of systems together? I think for the parallel to the opening closets it probably could be done, but with the perpendicular to the opening ones there might be line at the transition and they wouldn't be feathered together. I'm ok with that as a look, but I'm wondering if there would be long-term structural issues with the floor if I did that.

I'm on a slab concrete foundation and the floors were float installed 8 years ago.

If I didn't go to match the flooring in the rooms, what would be another option? The rest of the house has a certain type of tile (not sure I could find it since it was installed before I purchased the home), in the bathrooms and kitchen, and I think trying to match the floors in the bedrooms would be difficult with another wood product.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post.

Comments (2)