100 degrees in the Arctic - This is a real disaster.

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Link

Link

It's a disaster and yet no one seems to be talking about in on TV. I provided two links in case one doesn't work.

On June 20, a small Siberian town hit 100 degrees Fahrenheit, the highest-ever recorded temperature in the Arctic Circle, following a several month-long pattern of temperatures in the region being 50 degrees hotter than normal. But only one show across major broadcast and cable news TV networks mentioned this record-breaking incident.

Climate change is without a doubt amplifying the rise in Arctic temperatures, which is warming nearly twice as fast as the global average. Temperature anomalies for the Arctic in May 2020 would’ve been a one-in-100,000-year event if not for climate change. Rising temperatures in the Arctic are also accelerating ice melt and fueling unprecedented wildfires in the region, both of which are thawing permafrost and in turn releasing massive amounts of carbon into the atmosphere. All these events tie into MIT climatologist Judah Cohen’s statement: “What happens in the Arctic doesn’t stay in the Arctic.” Climate change’s effects in the region extend across the globe.

SaveComment44Like1
Comments (44)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

It'll kill the Virus. Winning!

Save    
heri_cles

You won't see this on Fox Propaganda channel.

Instead you will see ridiculous stories about Covid deaths being over-reported.

People need to start paying attention to science and get back to reality. You can't do that when you are glued to the Fox box 24/7.

Thank you for those links JerzeeG.

3 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

It's a disaster and yet no one seems to be talking about in on TV.

I don't have a TV so I wouldn't know, but the disaster that is looming is so large and multifaceted that it almost defies comprehension. There is no light at the end of the tunnel, no promise of an eventual vaccine to cure the threat - there is only worse to come.

The collapse of the oil-storage tank, and the resulting pollution -- reported in the linked New Yorker article -- is one horrific example of the many ways in which the effects of global climate change hold risks for us all.

2 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I was thinking of posting this news a few daze ago, but what's the point. Someone will post a follow up saying that just a one day temperature record is weather and not climate.....or some similar nonsense.

10 Likes Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

Believe it or not, it is our most urgent issue now. Everything else pales in comparison, but if we don't have leaders who trust science and focus their energy into solving the crisis, we will be too late. It won't matter.

10 Likes Save    

hey vgkg: I was expecting a number from you!

We are in the middle of an extinction of life on the planet right now. There are plenty of animals that are going extinct. Frogs that were plentiful ten years ago no longer can be found. Bats are infected with white nose syndrome and are dying en masse. The plight of the bees. The sea levels rising. The coral reefs. There are so many signs pointing to this planet's demise.

Maybe there really is nothing we can do at this point because we waited too long. But is there nothing that we can do to try to mitigate the disaster that is going to happen?

2 Likes Save    
batyabeth

"50 degrees hotter than normal." Holy geez!!! I completely agree, this isTHE issue and everything else pales in comparison. Mitigating takes national and GLOBAL leadership, and a national leadership that repsects other countries and works together with leaders internationally with cooperation and value based SCIENTIFIC action.

Not til November, at the very least. Oh my poor planet.

Save    
lurker111

lol. No one is talking about it for a reason.

Take political action against Mother Nature? You guy will only mess things up.

100 degrees in the Arctic is a flat out lie. Read the article. It's an unverified claim. Just someone's imagination.

1 Like Save    

On June 20, a small Siberian town hit 100 degrees Fahrenheit, the highest-ever recorded temperature in the Arctic Circle, following a several month-long pattern of temperatures in the region being 50 degrees hotter than normal. But only one show across major broadcast and cable news TV networks mentioned this record-breaking incident.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

You forgot to mention that it hasn't been verified. The article clearly states this, "Could have reached 100 degrees". Consider it an IQ test.

It also clearly states that this is a weather pattern. If you would like to attempt to explain how this is man made, and a theory to support that assumption, along with a scientific method to prevent this from happening, I'm willing to listen.

Save    
lurker111

Seriously, someone needs to explain how CO2 can absorb cooler, reflected heat, and cause a record high temperature. How can CO2 cause the temperatures to go above the heat from the sun? CO2 isn't a heating element. It only holds heat from absorbing reflected sunlight. Use the science, not your imagination. When the sun goes down, it is no longer absorbing heat, it is transferring the slight amount of heat it absorbed. Kind of like a light bulb when you turn it off. The bulb will still be hot for a little while, then the laws of thermodynamics take over. Entropy. Basic science.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Melting permafrost releases carbon. The carbon heats the atmosphere resulting in more melt.

Save    
lurker111

lol! Right over your head. I'm not talking about melting ice. That has been happening for 10,000 years. You need to explain how CO2 can cause record temperatures. Good luck. Not even the IPCC agrees with that nonsense.

Read the article.

Heatwaves in the Arctic aren't unusual. Weather patterns around the
world can align in such a way that hot air is transported quite far
northward and colder air from the poles southward.

Over the last few months a large area of high pressure in eastern Russia
has been dominant. This has led to southerly winds bringing warmer air
from near the tropics, leading to higher than average temperatures.

This hasn't made the news for a reason...It's natural. No need to try to use it for some harebrained agenda. It won't work.

1 Like Save    

It happened. From the New Yorker article:

Last Saturday, Verkhoyansk claimed a new record: the hottest temperature ever recorded in the Arctic, with an observation of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit—the same temperature was recorded that day in Las Vegas. Miami has only hit a hundred degrees once since 1896.

From Wiki:

Verkhoyansk (Russian: Верхоянск, IPA: [vʲɪrxɐˈjansk]; Yakut: Верхоянскай, Verkhoyanskay) is a town in Verkhoyansky District of the Sakha Republic, Russia, located on the Yana River in the Arctic Circle, 92 kilometers (57 mi) from Batagay, the administrative center of the district, and 675 kilometers (419 mi) north of Yakutsk, the capital of the republic. As of the 2010 Census, its population was 1,311.[3] Verkhoyansk holds the record for both the hottest and the coldest temperatures ever recorded above the Arctic circle, with 38.0 °C (100.4 °F) and −67.8 °C (−90.0 °F) respectively[12][13]. The hot record is shared with Fort Yukon, and the cold record is shared with Oymyakon.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

The vegetation growing when the ice melts release the CO2.

Save    
lurker111

lol! Claimed???? Okay, whatever you need to tell yourself. Just ignore the science. As always.

I don't have to claim anything when the article clearly explains it. I accept the science.

ETA: Do any of you actually know anything about Siberia? What the summers are like there? I do. It's a mud pit.

Also...define "permafrost". Thanks.

1 Like Save    

I am not a scientist but this is a very simple explanation why CO2 causes temperatures to rise:

Because scientists know which wavelengths of energy each greenhouse gas absorbs, and the concentration of the gases in the atmosphere, they can calculate how much each gas contributes to warming the planet. Carbon dioxide causes about 20 percent of Earth’s greenhouse effect; water vapor accounts for about 50 percent; and clouds account for 25 percent. The rest is caused by small particles (aerosols) and minor greenhouse gases like methane.

Water vapor concentrations in the air are controlled by Earth’s temperature. Warmer temperatures evaporate more water from the oceans, expand air masses, and lead to higher humidity. Cooling causes water vapor to condense and fall out as rain, sleet, or snow.

Carbon dioxide, on the other hand, remains a gas at a wider range of atmospheric temperatures than water. Carbon dioxide molecules provide the initial greenhouse heating needed to maintain water vapor concentrations. When carbon dioxide concentrations drop, Earth cools, some water vapor falls out of the atmosphere, and the greenhouse warming caused by water vapor drops. Likewise, when carbon dioxide concentrations rise, air temperatures go up, and more water vapor evaporates into the atmosphere—which then amplifies greenhouse heating.

So while carbon dioxide contributes less to the overall greenhouse effect than water vapor, scientists have found that carbon dioxide is the gas that sets the temperature. Carbon dioxide controls the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere and thus the size of the greenhouse effect.

Rising carbon dioxide concentrations are already causing the planet to heat up. At the same time that greenhouse gases have been increasing, average global temperatures have risen 0.8 degrees Celsius (1.4 degrees Fahrenheit) since 1880.

Save    
lurker111

We're talking about record temps that are not in the winter. We're not talking about some silly idea that CO2 causes warming while leaving out 95% of the process, known as water vapor. It's sad that anyone would try to use water vapor to explain something, when it is left out of the equation.

BTW greenhouse gases don't cause "heating".

CO2 = 4 ten thousandths of one percent of our atmosphere. The so called "science" claims that going from 3.5 ten thousandths to 4 ten thousandths of one percent will destroy the planet. If that's the case, free energy is everywhere. You could build Stirling engines to power the planet.

1 Like Save    
youngquinn_gw

I am beginning to believe that Mother Nature has given us our marching orders and I dont blame her. yes "our poor planet"

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Let's not forget the lag. If we're warming from CO2...It's from 600 years ago. That's how laughable the CO2 "science" really is. No one knows what the global temperature is. Our first guess came in 1979. Anything before that is wishful thinking.

Or you can reverse it. The rising CO2 levels we see today is caused by medieval warming...600-1000 years ago...Just like the science predicts.

1 Like Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

The article says:

<Temperatures in the Arctic Circle
are likely to have hit an all-time record on Saturday, reaching a
scorching 38C (100F) in Verkhoyansk, a Siberian town.

The record
still needs to be verified, but it appears to have been 18C higher than
the average maximum daily temperature in June.>

The temperature reached is not in question, but whether it is actually a new record has not been verified.

You misquoted the article by saying, <The article clearly states this, "Could have reached 100 degrees". >

The article clearly states that 100 degrees was reached. When you misquote, you lose credibility and are twisting information.

8 Likes Save    
terrene(5b MA)

Being a climate change nut, of course I knew this. As well, it was on PBS Newshour the other night.

ATM I have doomer fatigue, so I'll quote Jeff Masters, from his new blog "Eye on the Storm" on Yale Climate Connections.

“Many students’ recurring nightmares involve a final exam tomorrow for a course they seldom attended all term: They can’t remember where the classroom is, and barely studied for the exam. Unfortunately, that nightmare describes humanity’s situation for the coming climate change final exam. While the stakes for flunking the COVID-19 quiz have been crushing—over 425,000 people dead globally by mid-June, economies crippled, and an as-yet unrealized catastrophe looming for many nations in the developing world—the cost of failing our inevitable collective climate change final exam will be apocalyptic for civilization.”

https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/section/eye-on-the-storm/

3 Likes Save    
batyabeth

oh, good writing. Completely agree, too

Save    
lurker111

You misquoted the article by saying, <The article clearly states this, "Could have reached 100 degrees". >

Oops, You're right. I misread that part. Pretty small mistake compared to what the others said. Other than that, everything else is a science fact. I know that some people wanted to use this as an example of AGW. Claiming that this is our most important issue, and the governments must unite to solve this. No...It's just a high pressure system.

I feel sorry for those who wasted an education on "global warming". The whole concept is a joke these days. It's also sad that they call it climate change. I hope they'll figure it out before they graduate and change to something useful, like engineering.

1 Like Save    

Link

As if it couldn't get any worse (seriously) :

The beaver may be an unlikely agent of climate change, but the cuddly-looking creatures are transforming the Arctic landscape in a way that could be exacerbating global warming, a new study has suggested.

With their sharp teeth, beavers fell trees and shrubs and build dams, which flood small valleys and form new lakes that can cover several hectares of land.

These new water bodies contribute to the thawing of the frozen permafrost soil, which is a huge natural reservoir of methane — a potent greenhouse gas.

Scientists are concerned that as the permafrost degrades, the climate-changing methane and carbon leak into the atmosphere. In the past few years, scientists have spotted beavers in the Alaskan tundra where they've previously never been seen before — and the animals have been enjoying a dam-building boom in their new neighborhood, according to the study of high-resolution satellite imagery published in the journal Environmental Research Letters Monday.

They also seem to be building their dams and creating new lakes in the very locations that are most likely to intensify the thawing of the permafrost.

"We're seeing exponential growth there. The number of these structures doubles roughly every four years," said Ingmar Nitze, a researcher from the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research in Potsdam, Germany, and author of the study.

"Their methods are extremely effective."

The study found that the number of beaver dams in a 100-square-kilometer area surrounding the city of Kotzebue, northwest Alaska, increased from just two in 2002 to 98 in 2019 — a 5,000% increase. Beaver dams in the larger, 430-square-kilometer area on Alaska's Baldwin Peninsula have increased from 94 in 2019 to 174 in 2013 and 409 last year.

"It's possible to see them and spot them (the dams) in the imagery. It's also possible to see the development of lakes. They had a distinctive signal," said Nitze.

Save    
lurker111

AOC gave the planet a few more years. Such silly people! lol You can start counting again. lolol

Let's see if Gretta was there for a photo op. What are the chances?

ETA: I just checked her twitter account. No, but she sure is pushing this high pressure system as climate change. So are all of her idiot followers. You would think they would be able to read an article without losing it....No.

2 Likes Save    
heri_cles

No worries about climate change Lurk, God has planet Earth and mankind in the palm of his hand.

That's what those on your side of the aisle believe.

----------------------------------

Hungry Planet

written by Skip Battin, Kim Fowley, and Roger Mcguinn

I'm a hungry planet
I had a youthful face
They were in a hurry
To go to outer space
They needed bombs and tungsten
Ore and iron too
So they climbed and they dug and they blew
Divided me right in two
I'm a hungry planet
Orbiting in the sky
The things they did to hurt me
Pass on by and by
Now here I am all alone
They never ever learn
Well I had to shake and quake
And make their houses burn
I'm a hungry planet
I had the bluest seas
Oh the people kept choppin' down
All my finest trees
Poisonin' my oxygen
Diggin' into my skin
Takin' more out of my good earth
Than they'll ever put back in
Well , I'm a hungry planet

4 Likes Save    
kadefol

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

No worries about climate change Lurk, God has planet Earth and mankind in the palm of his hand.

He's got the whole world in his hands.

Anthropogenic Global Warming - lol

400 ppm = runaway greenhouse effect - lol

Hurricanes - lol

Acidified oceans - lol

Melting shellfish - lol

Ice caps gone in 2015 - lol

Record heat in summers due to CO2 - lol

Top secret weather data - lol

Blaming God for the liberals failed "science" - lol

Liberals and science - Bwuahahahahaha

I could go on all day. Thanks for the laughs. :^)

Remember, I was the one to bring "climate change" to this forum and was called a science denier - lol

Listen to you now - lol

Today, no one says "global warming" - lol

Liberals believe in a static climate that never changes. - lol

30 year "global" average - This is the funniest of them all - lolol

1 Like Save    
cait1

Not 100 but close

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/russia/verkhoyansk/historic?month=6&year=2020

High summer - 24/7 sun. But don't expect it to heat up. duh

You'll be happy to note that the temp has gone down. Temp readings for that area only began in earnest a few years ago. No long term data to compare so please stop confusing weather with climate. I know, I'm asking too much. :\

1 Like Save    
kadefol

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Liberals believe in a static climate that never changes. - lol ^^^

Save    
kadefol

^^^ Conservatives believe in propaganda from oil companies. - lol

1 Like Save    

They are recording high temperatures at the South Pole although nowhere near as high as the North Pole.

I am trying to decide where to live when the water decides to wash over Florida - maybe Utah?

Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Utah was already hot before anthropogenic climate change came to general notice.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I am trying to decide where to live when the water decides to wash over Florida - maybe Utah?

The highlands of Greenland may be a nice place to live, trump knows it's happening despite denying it, just like a lot of "conservatives" know it.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

We know that the planet has been naturally warming for a long time V. Where have you been? Skip science classes?

Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Then it seems the majority of climate scientists must have skipped science classes also. You know, all the people that study climate for a living, have been telling the rest of us for years now there is a serious problem.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Probably so. What do they need a science class for? They're just statisticians. They have no business try to predict future weather. Their so called "serious problem" is a complete joke. They aren't even allowed to see the real, top secret data. That's why every single prediction has failed spectacularly.

BTW, there has been no anthropogenic warming in Antarctica in the 21st century, and I doubt there ever has been. They claim the man-made warming is "masked". Yeah right. It's all about the masks these days. The observed warming falls under natural variation.

The warming resulted from a strong cyclonic anomaly in the Weddell Sea caused by increasing sea surface temperatures in the western tropical Pacific. This circulation, coupled with a positive polarity of the Southern Annular Mode, advected warm and moist air from the South Atlantic into the Antarctic interior.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

We know that the planet has been naturally warming for a long time V.

That wasn't your tune 4 or 5 indenties ago, but glad that you are slowly coming around, minus the natural part but at least on the warming. Now take the next step and break free from the fossil fuel Ind/ gop line, they're the only ones left on the planet who push the everything is normal propaganda.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

I've always said that the planet was naturally warming. Everything is normal. That's the fact. I'm sorry, but your memory is seriously failing you. Your predictions fell flat. How embarrassing. lol

Edit: You must be talking about when I posted the data that proved the planet was going through a cooling trend. That must have been hard to accept. lol Most of the left claimed that they could feel the climate changing...until they saw their local data. That was the good ole days. :^)

Oh My!!! Remember how I said they would claim the taxes would fix everything...Just from paying taxes, with no idea of where the money was going? Look what I found...

This is from 2014 when they knew the game was over.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"Edit: You must be talking about when I posted the data that proved the planet was going through a cooling trend."

Nah, but that's one good example, now you say it's back to warming again. Go back to about a max of about 15 years, as temps were rising you were saying that scientists didn't know how to properly read a thermometer, and that their CO2 monitoring instruments were improperly installed which resulted in bogus ppm readings which were on the rise. Good to see that you have accepted those numbers today. I guess it's a start, but your thinking now that it's all just normal warming is only changing your old excuses. The debate is over, but keep on trying.

Save    
lurker111

That's all true. As you can see, we were cooling while you claimed it was warming. Who said it was back to warming? I haven't heard that, but I blew off this nonsense years ago. Yes, we're on a long term warming trend with ups and downs. Yes, the CO2 monitoring was a joke. They took their readings from an erupting volcano and the South Pole. Good memory. :^) CO2 warming was all a scam. It should be really cool with the global shutdown. I bet the CO2 level are really low. (Unless you're monitoring a volcano)

But hey, as you can see from the chart, they claim the EPA climate regs are working...We're safe now. It doesn't stay in the atmosphere for hundreds of years. You can breath. Thanks for the blast from the past. :^)

The debate is over

Yep, it sure is. Most people are too embarrassed to say global warming.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"As you can see, we were cooling while you claimed it was warming. Who said it was back to warming?"

Well, you did just a few posts up, as follows....

"I've always said that the planet was naturally warming. Everything is normal. That's the fact. I'm sorry, but your memory is seriously failing you...."

...and you say that my memory is failing? At least mine is long term.

---------------------------------------------

"Yes, the CO2 monitoring was a joke. They took their readings from an erupting volcano and the South Pole. Good memory. :^)"

Well, at least you're back to realizing that my memory is good now.

------------------------------

"I bet the CO2 level are really low."

...and I advise you to avoid gambling.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 9 Real Ways You Can Help After a House Fire
Suggestions from someone who lost her home to fire — and experienced the staggering generosity of community
Full Story
Life Is Cabin Fever Real? Share Your Story
Are snow piles across the U.S. leading to masses of irritability and boredom? We want to hear your experience
Full Story
In Case You Missed It In the Face of Disaster, Architects Are Redesigning Their Role
An energized focus on disaster recovery and resilience is driving new approaches to home design
Full Story