Did anyone notice the Rainbow Houzz Icon?!

Olychick

I just did; recognizing Pride? It's not always like that is it?

SaveComment46Like3
Comments (46)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris GW

I did! And smiled.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Ziemia(6a)

Did it just get bigger? (As in the last hour?)

I approve...

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
queenmargo

Wonder if anyone is offended, if they are, should Houzz take it down?

Save     Thanked by Olychick
eld6161

Thanks Oly, , I did not notice it.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Olychick
justerrilynn(10)

Cool! I can’t remember what it looked like before.

Olychick

I'm not sure what could be offensive about a rainbow?

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

What is the rainbow a symbol of?

Lulu Smith

We're all part of the beautiful rainbow.

batyabeth

Really Margo?

SMH

Iris GW

I think it was just green before.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Noticed it earlier and was wondering when I would see a mention of it. It wasn't like that yesterday, was it?

And rainbows can mean a number of different things nowadays.

I find it amusing that some folks seem unable, or unwilling, to look things up for themselves. We are on the internet, after all.

Or are they just trying to be snarky...?

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
AnnKH

It's beautiful! Thanks for pointing it out.

vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

A rainbow usually means that a storm has just ended.....we'll see a big one on Nov 4th....it'll be a rare triple rainbow.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
queenmargo

Oh stop, I know what the rainbow has become a trademark for. That is my point, there are people who find what it stands for offensive to their religious beliefs. Now knowing that, should Houzz take it down.? Serious question.

Iris GW

I'm sure Houzz considered that, margo.

queenmargo

LOL, considered what Iris?

Iris GW

there are people who find what it stands for offensive to their religious beliefs.

queenmargo

my question was "SHOULD" Houzz take it down? If you walk the talk about taking down things that are offensive to others , you would have to agree to take it down. IF not, then you are just biased.

Iris GW

No, I agree that businesses can make their decisions if they want to show support for Pride Month. Isn't that the Republican way too? If people are offended they will take their business elsewhere ....

9 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I think the rainbow is there to ward off Pence from participating in the forums.

19 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Gooster(9)

Perhaps the size was increased (I'm not certain if it actually was) because the 28th is the Stonewall anniversary

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
deegw

IMO there is a difference between offensive content and hateful content. And implying that privately held companies should be held to the same standards as the President of the United States is disingenuous.

13 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
queenmargo

No, I agree that businesses can make their decisions if they want to show support for Pride Month. Isn't that the Republican way too? If people are offended they will take their business elsewhere ....

I agree that Houzz or any business should make their own decisions and let the chips fall. How can Dems demand other businesses to change? Libs ONLY agree when the business falls in line to their thinking.

Olychick

I find symbols of inclusivity to be easier to defend than symbols that call for discrimination via hatred.

23 Likes Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Religious beliefs led to The Crusades and The Spanish Inquisition. Kinda doubt recognition of the Pride movement is going to result in anything at all similar.

12 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
KarenS, NYC

Well, being positive & optimistic by nature, I'll say "thank you Houzz, how progressive of you, which I welcome".

The NYer & cynic in me recognizes & mistrusts the power of Marketing.

Houzz is no fool, they won't risk alienating a large part of the shopping community, especially those in Decor. They know their Markets & their Audiences.

Having worked in HIV prevention education in the late 80s - mid 90s & w/ more than a few gay friends, I'm happy to embrace the stereotype of Gay Men designers, decorators, etc. Have personally experienced it, including that many of my men friends who Garden are Gay & All of the Men in my Quilt Guild are Gay.

So all that said, QMargo, in this context, recognizing the Power of the Pocketbook, or in these cases, that of the Wallet, you'd likely be the minority in finding this offensive & Houzz might well remind you, you'd be welcome to take your business elsewhere.

Especially from a FREE discussion forum which they haven't the slightest obligation to provide us.

Iris GW

How can Dems demand other businesses to change? Libs ONLY agree when the business falls in line to their thinking.

People can put pressure on businesses if they want to. Nothing wrong with that. And maybe the business will change and maybe they won't.

Perhaps some group will petition Houzz to change too. They are free to do so, even 'demanding' if they want to. Not sure why you're beating this particular horse, margo. But I don't demand you change your behavior; carry on.

Olychick

I'm not sure how the anti-rainbow people are going to be able to deal with those rainy days when the sun comes out and creates a rainbow. Who do they petition to stop the pain of looking at THAT!

4 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

The NYer & cynic in me recognizes & mistrusts the power of Marketing.

That mistrust -- and let's say experience rather than cynicism -- is common to many of us.

West Coast representative here!

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
queenmargo

Perhaps some group will petition Houzz to change too. They are free to do so, even 'demanding' if they want to. Not sure why you're beating this particular horse, margo. But I don't demand you change your behavior; carry on.

Now Iris, my behavior has nothing to do with the topic. You are making it personal and this is against the rule, but you know that.

docmom_gw(5)

“There are people who find what it stands for offensive to their religious beliefs.”

There are also many for whom the rainbow epitomizes the core of their religious beliefs. I believe that love, in all of its wonderous forms, is the “greatest of all.” Why is my religion any less worthy of respect and support than the traditional “Christian” beliefs? In fact, I feel Christ would have been far more accepting of the diverse expressions of love than many orthodox Christians are. Freedom of religion must encompass every religion, not just “traditional” Christianity, or even the four or five “major” religions. All expressions of spirituality have a right to be respected—as do all individuals.

14 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Olychick

Beautiful, docmom! I think often of why more aren't asking WWJD? from the right wing who profess to following him yet spew hateful words and ideas.

4 Likes Save    
jmm1837

If a private company chooses to put up a rainbow logo for marketing purposes because it will attract new customers, or remove one with racist overtones because it will lose customers, that is the company's choice. Houzz, and all those other companies, may be asserting a stance, or they may just be acting in recognition that values are changing. Either way, their choice.

queenmargo

You guys are sooo funny, lol

colleenoz

A lot of websites have made their logos rainbow coloured all month. Houzz only changed theirs two days ago because I noticed it soon after it happened and was sure it had been green only hours before. It's like someone at Houzz said, "Oh darn, it's Pride Month and we nearly missed it. Better get on the bandwagon ASAP before the month runs out!"

8 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Lulu Smith

When does Italian American pride month occur?

miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

They turned it black on blackout Tuesday too.

Lulu Smith

?

Save    
Toby

Lulu Smith--October.

miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_Tuesday

Houzz turned their H Black that day.

elvis

Did anyone notice the Rainbow Houzz Icon?!

Oh, yes I see that. Makes me think of a box of crayons.

Olychick

Oh, crayons are nice. So colorful!

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Just switched back to all green.

Well, sometimes. Getting the rainbow on some threads and not others. (Using Gardenweb, not Houzz).

Olychick

Mine's still rainbow....

Save    
NOWAY2Biden

It changes to rainbow when I click on a topic, but reverts to green for the HOME page of a forum.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Emily commented on a post about this on the Decorating Conversations forum and said they are trying some different things on various platforms so some people may see different versions.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design The Cure for Houzz Envy: Kitchen Touches Anyone Can Do
Take your kitchen up a notch even if it will never reach top-of-the-line, with these cheap and easy decorating ideas
Full Story
Decorating Guides The Cure for Houzz Envy: Guest Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make overnight guests feel comfy and cozy with small, inexpensive niceties
Full Story
Laundry Rooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Laundry Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make fluffing and folding more enjoyable by borrowing these ideas from beautifully designed laundry rooms
Full Story