SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cassie_knox0

Kitchen redesign layout help

reno anxiety
3 years ago

Hi there!

We are getting ready to completely redesign and reconfigure our small kitchen— removing a load-bearing wall and opening up the kitchen to the living area to create a great room. We will be getting rid of our dining area and expanding our kitchen into that space to get a larger kitchen with more storage and also adding an island.

I’ve been playing around with design ideas and moving appliances around and I can’t figure out what will flow the best and make the most sense so it all works— help!

We have a retrofit 8 foot slider along our back wall leading out to the back yard and a retrofit bay window next to it above the sink. I’d like to have a good sized island with at least 3 seats— thinking maybe 5 x 8 foot? Ideally I would like a cooktop with a hood and storage below. I’d also love to keep my double wall ovens (but not if it means sacrificing the layout/flow).

Here is what our kitchen currently looks like, It’s a cramped u-shape with a walkthrough gap between the fridge and counters into our current laundry room and hall.

The best design I’ve come up with so far.. close up the walkway, and put the cooktop with exhaust hood on that wall, with the double ovens. Then remove the wall separating kitchen and living room, and add a 5x8 island there instead. Then I moved the fridge over to the far wall where the dining area used to be and also created a pantry over there and some extra cabinets and counters.

I’d love to hear if anyone has good ideas or suggestions on something that might work better? I’m worried about that back wall where the fridge is feeling too far and disconnected from the rest of the kitchen? If anyone has a similar kitchen layout that they love/hate or would do differently, I would love to see it!!

TIA!!!

Comments (35)