SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul_coviello

scrap or salvage...lippage

Paul Coviello
3 years ago

hey houzz, had some work done in my guest bathroom. end result is lippage and uneven tiles all over. what I'd love to hear is try to salvage or scrap it and start over? ive read through lots of other posts on bad tile jobs and i think i know what the consenus from pros would be. its just plain sloppy and i feel i couldve done a better job myself as a diy job. thanks in advance. Our design was simple but the details matter because it requires clean lines and level tiles.

Comments (19)

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Depends if you can live with it as is with the lippage. You really not saving much if attempt to as repair is not realistic. Its either a do-over or live with it. That being said what is behind the tile for backer board and waterproofing? Whats under the floor tile in the way of a pan system? Was it flood tested? In construction pictures?

• Paul Coviello
    Original Author
    3 years ago

cement board, red guard, membrane on the floor. had a few convos already and seems to be a rip/replace as salvage is probably not in the cards and like you said probably not aaving much. good thing is its a small bathroom.

• Paul Coviello
    Original Author
    3 years ago

i dont have in construction pics but watched it go in. based in the level of slop externally...my confidence in the behind the tile work has dramatically decreased.

• Paul Coviello
    Original Author
    3 years ago

it was not flood tested.

• Paul Coviello
    Original Author
    3 years ago

agreed. fun lessons learned. thanks for your feedback so far.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

"based in the level of slop externally...my confidence in the behind the tile work has dramatically decreased"

That was my initial thoughts and where I was going. Unfortunately when demoing the tile be prepared to need to do some repair work to the cement board, redguard, and the pan as they typically do not play well with removal of tile.

• Paul Coviello
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks @millworkman. we're already discussing the job with contractors with better backgrounds and skills.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I can't see any lippage from those pictures. I doubt if a person taking a shower can either.

• AJCN
    3 years ago

Cosmetically, I don't think it looks that bad, probably helps that they used white grout. But the key issue is the waterproofing. Since you don't have any in-progress photos, the pros on here, and any other pros who come to assess the job, can't tell if proper waterproofing was done.

Question for pros: Now that the job is finished, can a flood test be done, and if it fails, would that mean the original contractor needs to refund or rebuild?

• Paul Coviello
    Original Author
    3 years ago

wife took some in progress pics...

• Paul Coviello
    Original Author
    3 years ago

found some others

• Paul Coviello
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@joseph corlett, llc....did you zoom in? i see shadows all over the walls? im curious to know what you think is acceptable variance in tiles...ill take othe close up pics tomorrow during the day to show the grout lines and corners

• Paul Coviello
    Original Author
    3 years ago

some close ups

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

The best that I can see--it's near white-out--appears that the problem is with the tile, not the install. In the first close up pix, it looks like there is a variation in the dimensions, tile to tile. Probably, if you put two random unlaid tiles back to back, you would find that the tile aren't perfectly flat, either. Were these labeled as 'rectified' tile?

There is only so much that anyone can do w/ imperfect materials.

Salvage or scrap & start over?

I don't see any point in trying to salvage because you aren't likely to gain & it might actually look worse. Plus taking the risk of damage to the waterproofing.

So it's either start over (better material next time) or live with it. Personally, I would live with it since it's a guest bath...not like it will be staring you in the eye balls each & every morning.

• Paul Coviello
    Original Author
    3 years ago

the tiles were not labeled as rectified.....i also checked them as i thought it couldve been the material, but they are not bowed and lay flat, edges/corners are ok. im not an expert but even with cheap tile if youre taking time to level , space corrctly tiles should look straight and level, dont you think?

• xand83
    3 years ago

I think it looks really nice. I def would not rip out.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

If there's a contractor problem here, it's with his ability to set customer expectations, not an inability to set tile.