SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dkahn123

CABINET COAT VS ADVANCE - BENJAMIN MOORE FOR KITCHEN CABINETS

dkahn123
3 years ago

Which is the better paint to use for kitchen cabinets? I have had several painters tell me to only use Advance - and others tell me Cabinet Coat. When I went to Benjamin Moore paint store, the man there told me that BM is reworking the Cabinet Coat paint.. I am planning to use a light ivory-cream color on cabinets. Any advice would be very appreciated!!!!

Comments (3)

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

I haven't used the Cabinet Coat product, but I have used Advance.

I used Advance on a nightstand and a desk ... and on the desk again when it changed rooms.

When I was planning on painting the desk after we finished stripping and sanding it (we got it in a half painted state), I went into the paint store and told them I wanted to paint furniture, and they recommended the Advance. The Advance was super easy to use. I brushed it on, and it came out nice and even. Great coverage in two coats (I did not prime, though it might be wise to do so with kitchen cabinets), and no issues with the cure or durability.

When I redid it (going from Wisteria to Temptation), I sanded lightly to remove the finish and repainted. It again went on beautifully and has had no issues, though it is not in as high traffic a situation as a kitchen cabinet.

The nightstand was sanded and scrubbed to remove a bunch of awful paste wax, and I had painted it with one coat of a light grey sample paint because it was being a test piece for the color, and we thought we were getting rid of it. It went from awful to still awful in the new color, so we thought it might be more give awayable in the Temptation we still had from the desk. I lightly sanded the light grey paint and applied the Advance. Two coats later, and the piece is working great and holding up well as my nightstand. It's unfazed by being whapped with remotes or glasses. It hasn't been given the three-year-old-child test, but it seems to be doing well in regular use.

For comparisons:

https://www.paintingrochester.com/blog/cabinet-coat-and-benjamin-moore-advance-review

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2494522/bm-advance-vs-bm-cabinet-coat

• dkahn123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much for your input!!!