DeSantis Again....

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Remember the data scientist Rebekah Jones who got fired because she refused to report false information to the Florida Covid Dashboard? Well she came into some information that is very disturbing and doesn't show DeSantis in a very good light.

BREAKING: 1 OF 3: Florida announced yesterday they're not counting the icu bed availability anymore, a key element in keeping things open, so the state can proceed to the next phase by July 4.

BREAKING 2 OF 3 I have multiple sources at DOH who have just told me they have been instructed this week to change the numbers and begin slowly deleting deaths and cases so it looks like Florida is improving next week in the leadup to July 4, like they've "made it over the hump."

BREAKING 3 OF 3 I've independently verified they've deleted at least 1200 cases in the last week.They're only reporting all these cases now so they can restrict reporting next week to make everyone think it's over. I've had two DOH employees in different offices confirm.

Well, this doesn't make me very confident.

SaveComment123Like3
Comments (123)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
studio10001

New location for debate # 2 is Miami.

'The Second Presidential debate was originally scheduled to take place at the University of Michigan but the venue was changed due to concerns over Coronavirus.'

2 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

My son just moved to Tampa. Thank goodness he has brains.

3 Likes Save    

I think you've got it. Debate in Miami and convention in JAX. DeSatan has to get the numbers down so he can say the state is reopened. And yet I can truly say that I am more afraid to to go out today than I was in March.

Tampa might be imposing a mandatory face mask policy. Tampa is a great, progressive city. I loved living there.

6 Likes Save    
studio10001

I don't see where this gets him - when beds run out, does he think he can keep that a secret,too?

Her site, w bed capacity per county:

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/7572b118dc3c48d885d1c643c195314e/

3 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Isn't this hiding true numbers what China was accused of doing. Now false numbers out of Florida. Probably not the only state doing this.

12 Likes Save    
maifleur03

When beds run out the hospitals/doctors will have to decide which ones of the patients receive any care. That was what happened in Italy and Spain according to what I have read. There were probably other countries that had to make the same decision.

I noticed earlier today that this county had 34 confirmed and 1 death but the current state information does not have that death listed either in this county or the adjoining ones. It does not surprise me that information is not being updated or is simply given incorrectly.

Governor bragged again on this fb account how this state was going down in cases. Most of the comments were from SW Missouri where the hospitals are starting to fill up. There are a lot of retirees and disabled military in that area.

2 Likes Save    
zmith

A red state fudging their numbers??!?!? O.O

4 Likes Save    

My neighbor is a former nurse but she knows plenty of nurses still working. Today that nurse had to call 32 people to let them know they were positive for COVID. My other neighbor is an ICU nurse and she confirms that the ICUs are filling up again just like at the beginning of the crisis. It's awful to try to get people to believe that the cases are going down when they aren't.

3 Likes Save    
kadefol

This is criminal, and those responsible should be prosecuted for falsifying pertinent public health information.

9 Likes Save    
ohiomom

The problem is we are testing too many people, if we would just stop testing there would be no Covid19

He alone can fix it.

13 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

When we opened up with more people with the disease than when we started shutting down what did people think was going to happen? We do not have the grit and integrity to see this through. We deserve what happens to us but does the rest of the world deserve the disease we serve to them?

8 Likes Save    
studio10001

An even flow of cases was never the goal, even though that is what many people hoped for. The only goal was to keep hospitals functioning - for other patients. Each at-risk citizen is on their own, for the most part. Even counties that are mandating masks are not always following through with any repercussions, from fear of backlash from aggressive covidiots.

The only thing I know to do is to contact/petition your city council for stronger measures, use your dollars at the retail places that continue to support front of store pickup, and stay out of the way while the plague blows through the state. I think there are plenty of people that have the grit and determination to see this through - just not as they had originally pictured. Stay as safe as you can, jerzeegirl.

5 Likes Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

Does not surprise me given his master in the white house. Best to not believe a word either of them says in reference to covid-19 or numbers. It is beginning to border on genocide in my view or at least criminal negligence.

6 Likes Save    

It's good that at least the counties are taking the bull by the horns. Starting tomorrow at 5 pm, both Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties have mask ordinances now (that's Tampa, Clearwater and St. Pete). Glad to hear it.

We were really making headway until people decided they were tired of being responsible.

5 Likes Save    
studio10001

Have they said how they will enforce it?

Save    

For Hillsborough they won't let you into the store.

The approved executive order requires everyone inside a for-profit business that is open to the public to wear a mask when social distancing cannot be maintained, excluding family members or others residing in your home.

Each business within Hillsborough County will be responsible for ensuring compliance with the ordinance. Those who do not comply can be denied admittance and/or forced to leave the business.

The ordinance goes into effect on Wednesday, June 24 at 5 p.m., and will be re-approved on a weekly basis. Link

Pinellas is a bit different. Businesses and customers in Pinellas could face a civil citation of $100 for a first violation.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

De Santis is obviously one of "his people". Who cares about the citizens ? The numbers have to look good...not be good just look good.

As I have said before, Why don't they see that failure to control the disease will do more to worsen the economy even further. Florida is especially dependent on tourism, expansion of Covid will destroy Florida's economy..

Testing , hard factual data, mask wearing and physical distancing are the only tools we have to fight this monster. If you want the economy to come back you must control Covid. To control it you must test, trace, wear masks and physically distance....what's difficult to understand?

It's as if Trump is deliberately trying to lose Florida, and he just might.

6 Likes Save    
Iris GW

As I have said before, Why don't they see that failure to control the disease will do more to worsen the economy even further. Florida is especially dependent on tourism, expansion of Covid will destroy Florida's economy..

Exactly.

1 Like Save    

It's about time that local governments in towns, cities and counties start applying common sense. Too many lives have been lost already and too many continue to die or become ill with likely long term effects. There needs to be a buy in by everyone to do everything in their power to stop the spread of covid-19 and this partisan cr*p of mask vs no mask needs to stop.

3 Likes Save    

From what I have read, I don't think the people of Jacksonville are very happy that they will be hosting the Republican convention. Another COVID super-spreader event.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Homestead Hospital's ICU at Capacity, Baptist Health Officials Say

Multiple Florida Hospitals Run Out of ICU Beds as Coronavirus Cases Spike

https://www.newsweek.com/multiple-florida-hospitals-run-out-icu-beds-coronavirus-cases-spike-1511934

3 Likes Save    

Texas is in the same boat.

Houston ICUs at 90 Percent Capacity as Texas Coronavirus Cases Break Records

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

“The Department of Health has heard hospitals are utilizing a portion of their ICU beds to specifically house and isolate patients with positive cases of COVID-19, including those that do not require intensive care. This change in wording was made to more accurately capture the number of COVID-19 patients receiving intensive care,” Florida Department of Health spokesman Alberto Moscoso said.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-icu-bed-reporting-rules-change-20200623-dmf4p5nf3few5mvjvh53vixewm-story.html

Not reassuring at all. So, the only place they have to isolate Covid-19 patients is the ICU? So, there's no need to talk about those who are simply hospitalized but not desperately ill?

Save    
sjerin

The current republican reaction to covid and its spread is pretty much the definition of insanity. I will never understand how people can be so ignorant.

5 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Mass hysteria. Three plus years of gaslighting from the POTUS will do that, particularly if the pump was primed with decades of Fox News.

Yesterdays clip in Phoenix, the rally goer was asked if she was worried about not wearing a mask,.. she said no, and her objection was about hypocrisy.

It was evident to me in watching her that she was both aware and worried, but she is putting that aside for her team, Team Donnie.

4 Likes Save    
mr1010

I see the truth about hospital capacity around Miami-Dade is slowly starting to trickle out. Not much media news covering this here in Fl. unless you LOOK for it.

3 weeks ago Orlando was running at 80% hospital capacity BEFORE the numbers

started quadrupling. Daily cases were reported at 7-800 then jumped to 3-4,000 daily.

Gov.'s daily press conference gives too much meaningless details while suppressing the important facts. Typical good ole boy, jock lawyer.

2 Likes Save    
Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Well, maybe the majority of people in Florida & Texas & Arizona in general aren't worried, but America is. Check out the S&P 500. (-2.5%)

And, there's this:

Florida visitors told to quarantine by New York, New Jersey, Connecticut

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

The Covid news from Florida is grim.

Thank heavens the counties are taking the necessary action.

1 Like Save    
mr1010

For several weeks in March, DeSantis blamed Florida's cases on New Yorkers escaping to Florida. Remember the traffic stops on I-95 coming south?

Well, touche Gov. D., now it's their turn to keep the floridians from bringing their creepy crawlies up to NY.

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

One of the scary things is that Florida is now setting records for the number of tests, but the % of positive results is climbing. That sounds like the virus is spreading faster than the testing.

Save    

I am floored by 5,500 new cases in the past 24 hours. I really wish we were more apprised of how these people got sick and where they got sick. It would be more of an incentive to stay away from those places.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

The social distancing is supposed to happen when the testing shows an outbreak. He expects businesses to close down on their own? (Those that can work from home will go to that independently but others won't, usually.)

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

I am floored by 5,500 new cases in the past 24 hours. I really wish we were more apprised of how these people got sick and where they got sick. It would be more of an incentive to stay away from those places.

I am curious, do you not get daily bulletins of where the outbreaks occur?

Save    
dandyfopp
2 Likes Save    

@ubro no we get general county updated numbers there's a website the state has that is supposed to go down to zip code level but after locking my computer up for the umpteenth time trying to get to that detail level I have given up. The news also only reports county figures. Occasionally there's a headline about a cluster in say an area with harvesting or planti g goi g on but that's about it.

1 Like Save    

abzzybee: You should use this website. It is much better and more truthful:

https://floridacovidaction.com/

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

We get daily updates letting us know where outbreaks occur. Sometimes, if they cannot trace everyone who was in contact because the person was in a public building, they issue a notice on the radio asking anyone who may have been in that building at the time the infected person was there, to contact the health department.

Save    
maifleur03

It is impossible for most people to remember whom they have had contact with in the span of time that it takes to have a positive test. Those tracking apps are a start but most until things become much worse will refuse to use them. They at least can tell which phone was in your proximity two to three weeks ago.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Some people are lucky to live in a state that cares about its people.

FL, unfortunately, doesn't.

At least our mayor, a Democrat, cares.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

With the high number of outbreaks in Florida, it is time for Floridians to avoid each other and keep away from indoor spaces as much as possible. (Heard in one area there were no negative test results.)

That's how it was done in some states.

Save    
studio10001

“Ultimately, you have to trust people to make good decisions,” - DeSantis.

Save    
studio10001

That is always the kind of thing you like to hear from government, isn't it? :(

1 Like Save    

Channel 12 here in Palm Beach county just showed the "official" graph and superimposed the one the lady who got fired who designed the official one created. It clearly shows that Desantis is cooking the numbers significantly. They're under reporting the deaths, hospitalizations in some cases by double digits. Crimes against humanity is what Trump and his sycophants are guilty of in my opinion by politicizing masks and their lassitude and ongoing chaotic non approach of dealing with covid-19.

6 Likes Save    
paprikash

“Ultimately, you have to trust people to make good decisions,” - DeSantis

///////

I totally agree with him, I certainly don’t need a daddy to make my decisions. I think DeSantis is doing a fine job. We’re lucky to have him

Save    
Nana H

"Ultimately, you have to trust people to make good decisions,” - DeSantis"

"I totally agree with him, I certainly don’t need a daddy to make my decisions."

Paprikash maybe you don't but given the frightening uptick in Fl in cases , hospitalizations as well as the high percent testing positive it would appear that many do.

3 Likes Save    

That is not how Public Health works. It requires a strong centralized response. Not local governments imposing restrictions in a willy nilly manner. The state of Florida has failed and so has the federal government.

So Trumplings, close your eyes, and imagine that it's Obama at the helm of federal government right now; how would you rate the pandemic response?

4 Likes Save    

Also just wanted to add two 17 year old girls died yesterday in Florida. It's not just the elderly who are affected.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Latest polling shows Biden ahead of Trump in FL (+6 ). Early days but if this gets any worse, and it will, expect that Biden number to climb.

1 Like Save    
daisychain01

It pains me to benefit from someone else's folly, but the situation in places like Florida makes it clear to the rest of us that what we are doing is worth it and needs to continue.

8 Likes Save    
mr1010

Let's put the blame on Florida's runaway virus numbers right where it belongs:

The blame belongs on Trump AND DeSantis who are working arm in arm in

neglecting to take charge to eradicate this disease.

They don't give a DAMN. They don't care that citizens are sick and dying.

They both lie and obsfucate the numbers, the facts to minimize the severity of this spread.

Remember this treachery folks. Work to get them both out of office. They only care about themselves, not you.

5 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

“Ultimately, you have to trust people to make good decisions,” - DeSantis

///////

I totally agree with him, I certainly don’t need a daddy to make my decisions. I think DeSantis is doing a fine job. We’re lucky to have him

Apparently you do need a daddy, because his method is not working. Florida is still facing this pandemic while other states and countries are opening up.

The negative economic impact will be prolonged in such places. Boarders will be closed, trade interrupted and people who did not do what they needed to, because of 'personal freedom', will find that their freedom to move about the country and the world is gone.

If you are headed to Alaska from the US beware, you must follow a direct route, don't stop to site see or you will be fined.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/rcmp-americans-banff-alaska-1.5621452

5 Likes Save    

CARROLLTON, Texas — As North Texas watches COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations surge, one family is shouldering a health crisis that they never expected to face.

That crisis, all began on May 30 when just a single relative, unknowingly infected with COVID-19, interacted with seven family members at a surprise birthday party.

Those seven family members then contracted and spread the virus to 10 other relatives.

Now, Ron Barbosa is keeping track of 18 people in his family who have tested positive for COVID-19.

Barbosa didn't attend the party himself, but the celebration was for his daughter-in-law who turned 30.

That nephew is the one who was unknowingly infected, thinking a slight cough was the byproduct of working in construction.

Before the party, he played golf with a few family members who also attended the event, according to Barbosa.

Even though everyone did their best to stay socially distant, Barbosa said it wasn't enough.

"It wasn't that long. It was only a couple of hours," Barbosa, a volunteer EMT said. "But during that brief time, somehow the other 18 family members are now infected with COVID."

Barbosa, who is also married to a doctor, said he and his wife refused to go to the party due to safety reasons.

However, it was a party that by current state health standards appeared harmless. A total of 25 people attended, and not all of them arrived and stayed for the same duration.

"When people started getting sick, we really let everyone have it," Barbosa said. "We knew this was going to happen, I mean this whole time this has been going on we've been terrified."

Among those infected are two young children, two grandparents, a cancer patient and Barbosa's parents, who are in their 80s.

Three are now hospitalized: Barbosa's parents Frank and Carole, along with his sister Kathy, who is battling breast cancer. Kathy, per Barbosa, is recovering and feeling better, despite contracting the virus while simultaneously undergoing chemo treatments.

He says she went to the party and got infected, even though she was socially distanced outside on a porch.

But Barbosa's parents are in a much tougher situation.

Frank and Carole are highschool sweethearts and have been married almost 68 years.

Barbosa said it's likely Carole infected Frank after she stopped by the party to drop something off.

Carole has been hospitalized since June 13, and Frank has been in a hospital since June 17.

Frank is in the ICU and is on life support. Barbosa told WFAA that he is inches away from being put on a ventilator.

"My dad's hanging on by a thread," Barbosa said. "They're saying this is one of the last straws for my dad."

Visitation is mostly restricted, meaning calls to Barbosa's parents are vital.

"That's really the best medicine. You know they're in there by themselves with no family," Barbosa said holding back tears. "It's heartbreaking."

Barbosa told WFAA that his father is in need of blood plasma from recovered COVID-19 patients, who have established antibodies.

However, Barbosa said that doctors have informed him that there's not a lot of it right now.

On Facebook, a plea for help from Barbosa was answered by a few firefighters once infected with COVID-19, who were willing to donate.

But he quickly learned that they couldn't donate their plasma for one specific person because there was a shortage.

WFAA is now researching if that's the case with blood banks across the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

In the meantime, Barbosa is using the phrase 'Frank Alert' to raise awareness about the need for more blood plasma with COVID-19 antibodies.

"If you've recovered...go donate your plasma," Barbosa said.

Other than his sister and parents, Barbosa said that his family is mostly recovering.

In just a matter of weeks, they've gone through multiple emotions in this COVID-19 cautionary tale -- starting with anger.

"We were horrified. People couldn't believe that they took it to a family member," Barbosa said.

Link

Save    
dandyfopp

Sad. What can you say?

If you listen to scientists, we have been warned. And warned. And warned.

1 Like Save    

We have been warned by scientists but unless our elected officials underscore what the scientists are saying people are not going to believe them. Trump belittles Dr. Fauci by ignoring the CDC guidelines. People see this and think it's okay. It's why people thought it's okay to ingest bleach.

I don't know how to copy over a video on Twitter that I saw yesterday which would be perfect for this thread. It showed a bunch of women in Florida (I think the Orlando area) testifying that mask wearing was a sign of the devil and mask wearing would go against God because it would block our god-given breathing apparatus. Once of the women connected mask wearing with the deep state, Hillary Clinton et al. Florida, yes. Shocking, yes.

2 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

I saw it, a posted an excerpt above, here is more.

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/1275854598146871296

Save    
dandyfopp

Little more.

I feel sorry for this woman, I don't know what can be done to undo brainwashing like this.

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/1275918237218353154

3 Likes Save    
sjerin

At this point, why would anyone be surprised to contract covid, if they were in groups sans masks? And for that matter, who in his/her right mind wouldn't wear a mask in a group of people? Perhaps they don't realize that their idol is constantly tested and more importantly for him, anyone who is to come into contact with him is tested. That's a polar opposite protocol from that of the rest of us.

2 Likes Save    

Thanks Dandy. That's the video I was talking about. The women who testified were all bonkers. I couldn't believe they were saying the things they were saying and it does make me lose faith in humanity!

I am reading a book called The Sixth Extinction which is purported to be currently in progress, and I think we are going to get there sooner than later.

1 Like Save    
paprikash

Nuts come in all flavors — e.g., the rioters, Pelosi, Schumer, Schiff, Waters, Nadler, Biden, AOC, etc.

1 Like Save    

I don't remember any of those people ranting about the evils of wearing masks. Could you please refresh my memory?

4 Likes Save    
studio10001

Since the topic is DeSantis, should we infer that you think he is a nut? What is your current view of his ongoing work in de escalating the virus? Anything you think he might do differently? Anything you think he is accomplishing successfully?

Save    
mr1010

Meanwhile Fl. has 2nd day in row of over 5,000 new cases. 114,018 total cases, 14,000 hospitalizations, 3327 deaths and 6.3 positivty rate.

And DeSantis stands idly by watching. Doing absolutely zilch except for giving worthless daily press conferences where he offers useless information. And no plan or strategy to alleviate the threat.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/florida-reports-second-day-row-5000-plus-new-covid-19-cases-more-than-730-orange-county-alone/MLN2DVJRBJGWFJZTO45ZY5P22Q/

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Maybe that woman ingested cleaning fluids ....

2 Likes Save    
mr1010

BREAKING- Florida shuts down all alcohol consumption in all bars.

Records broken again as 9,000 new cases reported today w/ 1,000 in Orange county (Orlando) and Disney World still planning to re-open July 11.

Save    
studio10001

Hey, its a step. Jerzee had mentioned that DeSantis wanted to go to phase 3 on July 4 - any news there?

Save    

I don't see how this can happen. July 4th is only 8 days away. With 9000 cases in one day I would be surprised if everything didn't just close up again. These are NY numbers. And DeSantis expects the schools to open in August. Really????

Save    

Saw a headline Gov. DeSaster is now saying no going to the next phase...

Save    
Nana H

Holy Cow...9,000 in one day! Maybe De Santis should call on Cuomo to coordinate the response!

Smart on his part to not go to phase 3, as if that decision took a genius. However, rolling back may be necessary. This must be very frightening for Floridians.Too bad De Santis didn't listen to the medical experts instead of butt kissing Trump.

Save    
studio10001

It doesn't sound like he'll shut down state wide - he said he was leaving everything up to the counties. ( like that is anything new, I know, but this time he said it out loud.)

Save    
studio10001

crossed w carol - can you link us?

Save    
3 Likes Save    
graywings123(7)

I just saw this on twitter and had to post it. DeSantis put all his money on only old people getting COVID. Oops.

National Review, May 20, 2020.

Where Does Ron DeSantis Go to Get His Apology?
The Florida governor explains a COVID-19 strategy that has gotten bad press and favorable results.

A coupleof months ago, the media, almost as one, decided that Governor Ron
DeSantis was a public menace who was going to get Floridians killed with
his lax response to the coronavirus crisis.

In an interview with National Review, DeSantis says he was surprised at “how knee-jerk” the hostile coverage was, but he “also knew that none of these people knew anything about Florida at all, so I didn’t care what they were saying.”

The conventional wisdom has begun to change about Florida, as the
disaster so widely predicted hasn’t materialized. It’s worth delving
into the state’s response — as described by DeSantis and a couple of
members of his team — because it is the opposite of the media narrative
of a Trump-friendly governor disregarding the facts to pursue a reckless
agenda. DeSantis and his team have followed the science closely from
the beginning, which is why they forged a nuanced approach, but one that
focused like a laser on the most vulnerable population, those in
nursing homes.

An irony of the national coverage of the coronavirus crisis is that
at the same time DeSantis was being made into a villain, New York
governor Andrew Cuomo was being elevated as a hero, even though the
DeSantis approach to nursing homes was obviously superior to that of
Cuomo. Florida went out of its way to get COVID-19-positive people out
of nursing homes, while New York went out of its way to get them in, a
policy now widely acknowledged to have been a debacle.

The media didn’t exactly have their eyes on the ball. “The day that
the media had their first big freakout about Florida was March 15th,”
DeSantis recalls, “which was, there were people on Clearwater Beach, and
it was this big deal. That same day is when we signed the executive
order to, one, ban visitation in the nursing homes, and two, ban the
reintroduction of a COVID-positive patient back into a nursing home.”

Where does Ron DeSantis Go to Get his Apology

Save    
mr1010

DeSantis has continually puffed his chest up and beat his own drum getting just like Trump.

He was so meek, mild and paralyzed initially but now is taking things personally.

Word here in Fl. is he was shamed into closing the bars but wouldn't make tha announcement himself. Maybe cause he's a big boozer. So he forced

Dept. of Prof. Regulation head to tweet the news to reporters.

DeSantis is Butt Hurt and humiliated that what Miami Herald said back in March has

come true again. DeSantis simply doesn't give a damn.

He's also being embarrassed that the word is out on his 'cooking the books'.

3 Likes Save    
studio10001

The nuanced approach wasn't terribly nuanced, to my mind. He concentrated early efforts on the Villages, when virtually no one else in the state was being tested, and then touted their numbers as proof of his non-existent method. I call that sneaky, not nuanced. The Villages is an elderly community of extremely wealthy residents living in their own homes, not a public facility w two-per-room bed ridden patients w round the clock care. PPE has been a continual problem for nursing facilities until a few weeks ago, and over half of the death toll continues to be in nursing homes, as far as I can tell. DeSantis has abdicated all decisions to the county level except for the one they need - do not move to phase 2 until flippin ready.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

My SIL' s mother lives in the Villages and she says people are taking down their Trump 2020 signs .

10 Likes Save    

I am so happy I live in an HOA that does not allow political signs. I would hate to know the political affiliation of some of my neighbors.

3 Likes Save    
studio10001

Sounds like you already do. :) Stay away from the vectors - you will know them by their mani pedis!!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Just imagine——if only FLorida wouldn’t test they wouldn’t have all those cases.

Jerzee——our HOA does not allow signs either, but we do have a forum. I thought I was reading HT over what was being posted against wearing masks. Unlike HT, you post under your real name. Quite a few people I’ll know to avoid when community activities start up again.

Save    

There are some pretty militant commenters on our mayor's and the local paper's FB pages, and on local nextdoor.com as well. They're really obnoxious and full of insults.

I saw an article about how anti-mask sentiment was linked to meanness - i.e. unwillingness to be considerate of others.

Mean people suck.

8 Likes Save    
bob_cville

> Mean people suck.

and it seems that predominately, those mean people vote Republican.

4 Likes Save    

My personal favorite from the people testifying at the hearing:

(the reason I don't wear a mask) It's the same reason I don't wear panties: It's gotta breathe.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

^^The scariest part is these malignant, selfish creeps who use ridiculous rationale to justify not wearing masks are part of society, spreading the virus and screaming about "mah rights". Wastes of oxygen, all of them.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Some Trumpers must at least be starting to feel conflicted.

THEN

Their guy did nothing for two months as cases swelled.

Then he pushed it off on the states to do their own thing, instead of enacting a national plan.

Then he pushed all states to reopen to save the economy.

He refuses to wear a mask, so many of his followers have refused and protested their right not to wear them.

He is responsible for making the spread way worse than it should have been.

NOW

Red states, especially Trumper governor ones, reopened despite warnings from the health experts. Some were already in Stage 3.

Cases have skyrocketed as a result and some governors are now ordering closings again and many counties require masks. Major egg on their faces.

Conclusion: Trump was obviously wrong on all fronts. Some Trumpers did have the sense to ignore him, stay home, and wear masks. It’s a start.

6 Likes Save    
Nana H

...and the failure to flatten the curve and decrease the infection rate is now going to cause Americans to be banned from travel to Europe. The leisure side of that is big but the business side of that is huge!

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Interesting factoid NY now has a positivity rate of less than 1% while States like Florida, Texas, Oklahoma and Arizona are in the teens and even low 20%'s. No wonder Cuomo wants to keep them out! Great job NYer's you are to be complimented for doing what you did.

ETA I also didn't blame States for keeping NY'ers out when their rates were sky high.

Save    
jmm1837

Looks like Fla might hit 10,000 new cases today. An Australian expert was talking about the little spike here, and explaining that it's small enough that the health authorities will be able to get on top of it. He went on to say : "But if you have upwards of 30,000 cases each day like they do in the US, all you can do is try to protect the vulnerable."

Save    
mr1010

Florida's Gov. will have to do much more than prevent bar/alcohol consumption.

He needs to mandate masks everywhere out in public, as Orange County Mayor Demmings has done.

He also needs to limit gathering sizes and for goodness sake, don't give permission for Disney and other Theme parks to open. They need his permission and he's already given them his blessing.

DeSantis must be on the take based on how he's acting. He's valuing money/greed over lives. Another politician with his hand in corp. back pocket. Fattening his own wallet at the cost of Floridian's lives. It's so obvious.

2 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Poor DeSantis thought Trump would have his back as long as he did whatever Trump wanted. He is now discovering that Trump's backing is rapidly declining in value.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Looky. looky De Santis is doing a Cuomo style information session.

Save    

He can give as many briefings as he wants. He's still has lost credibility.

Save    
mr1010

His press conferences are nothing more than small talk about the statistics. He repeats what's on the news and in the local papers each day. Rinse and repeat.

Most Floridians want to know what will he due proactively to slow down the spread.

He did not mention one effort towards fighting the virus.

Daytona Bch just mandated masks. One bar/restaurant was scene of 80+ active cases. So far, more will probably spread from those 80.

Save    
Iris GW

Some of Florida's beaches will be closed for July 4th.

Save    
mr1010

Seminole County and Daytona Beach and orange county (Orlando) have all mandated masks in public areas here in Central Florida.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

About time ! Is Disney still going to open? Are they in Orange County ? We are in Polk and very close to Disney .

Save    

He's the worst governor ever.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has no intention of interfering with Walt Disney World's July reopening, despite a petition from concerned employees and a surge in novel coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in the state.

Last month, the Orlando theme park announced July 11 as the start of a phased reopening process after a months-long closure during the ongoing pandemic.

As the state began to lift its lockdown, however, Florida experienced a spike in coronavirus infections, including several days of record-breaking numbers of new cases recorded, reaching more than 9,500 in a day on June 27.

1 Like Save    
Save    
mr1010

The bulk of Disney's 28,000 acres (may be more now than the original plot) is in Orange County.

A local news article recently mentioned that DeSantis must give permission for theme parks to re-open but it blurred over whether he was consulted. Of course he was consulted. And I'm sure he and his extended family have carte blanche use of

all Disney facilities- hotels, parks, restaurants. I had friends who were friends of former Orange co. official and my friends were forever going to disney World as

free guests of disney- through association w/ the official. disney knows how to grease palms and maintain good community relations.

Watch the new case numbers for Wed., Thurs., and Friday as numbers early in the week are artificially low due to labs not reporting on weekends.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

The bulk of Disney's 28,000 acres . . . is in Orange County.

Oh - Disney is in Orange County in both California and Florida.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I had to make that connection as well after trying to figure out what the Governor of Florida had to do with Disney Land. I remember there were Old Orange groves where the World went in.

Save    
Nana H

Mr, we don't choose to rent out our home near Disney but to be honest most do rent it out other than the winter months when they use it themselves .

They are hurting big time because there are zero rentals. I am expecting a real estate bloodbath In the Orlando area.

Save    
mr1010

Nana H, just saw a promising news article that real estate prices have rebounded after a 2 month lull in sales. And the Orlando market is always late to be affected by national trends so don't get too worried. Said by a Fl. Broker since 1979.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

A contrast to Florida...

We (Massachusetts) had several very large protests (some this past weekend). Our coronavirus infection rate is very, very low and has continued to drop over June.

3 Likes Save    
mr1010

I remember there were Old Orange groves where the World went in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patriciae- groves AND lots of swampy lowland. It was considered just marginal

land, being removed from central services and all. But as the rumors spread of who bought it, suddenly things changed a little.

Save    
Nana H

mr, I am a tad worried just because so many of the properties around us are used as vacation rentals but I'm not overly concerned . What I am concerned with is that we will be unable to return this winter or maybe even longer to use it. Having it sit empty while we pay for maintenance is a drag and I will never rent it.

Save    
mr1010

Reports are that people are flocking to reserve spots at Disney properties and season passholders have taken all the reservations through August. So SOME

people will still be coming here regardless. Don't know yet about international travelers. they may view US as "infected" even after things slow down.

But IF DeSantis doesn't take more stringent actions to slow it down, we may see this

problem growing for months and months to come. Hard to predict the future here.

1 Like Save    
mr1010

Another bad example of DeSantis not representing the citizens.

Last week he just undid a ban on certain sunscreens due to chemicals that were killing the coral reefs in the Keys. The Keys had banned the sunscreens in the hopes

of getting the reefs to come back after they were being killed off by chemicals.

No doubt somebody with a fat wallet got to DeSantis. Why else would he override

something so beneficial to the locals in the Keys??

1 Like Save    

I have come to the conclusion that DeSantis is a meathead. That's why he does what he does.

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

He also pulled funding out of online learning a few days ago, which I thought was great timing. He really wants those classrooms filled w vectors. $29.4 million taken away.

Save    
paprikash

DeSantis is just fine. I know the dems would have preferred their druggie Gillum but we were spared, thank goodness.

Save    
studio10001

Do you, Swami?

Save    

Save    
studio10001

Save    

Desantis is a classic sycophant, he'll go down with his idol, though with as corrupt politics is he might just get promoted to his level of incompetence and wind up in Congress or the Senate...

1 Like Save    

10,109 new #COVID19 cases in Florida. Another new record.

It's a race to the bottom though between DeSantis and Kemp. Just saw this:

The University System of Georgia is planning to put students in classrooms in 6 weeks, will not require students (or anyone) to wear masks, and are even forbidding instructors from requiring masks in their individual classes.

(Forbidding instructors to wear masks has to be unconstitutional.)

Save    

Close, but the resemblance is even closer to George Lindsey as Goober Pyle...

1 Like Save    
mr1010

DeSantis looked different before he had his nose bobbed. And I'm not so sure we dodged the druggie or alcoholic bullet either. In some pics his pupils are hugely dilated. He's definitely enjoying something a bit too much.

Save    

He does look rather groggy most of the time.

Save    

Just in. This is one of the two major hospitals in my area:

Another record number of COVID-19 patients at Sarasota Memorial Hospital ThursdayThe hospital had 56 coronavirus patients Thursday, including 16 in the intensive care unit.

Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

News from Florida is so sad, but at least some of the mayors are stepping up and either closing beaches or imposing fines for not wearing masks. However, if no one ever gets a citation for not wearing a mask, the order is toothless.

1 Like Save    

I agree Lars. Just went to the local farmstand store. I would say 90% of people were masked. But this guy in his 30s came in with his very young son (maybe a two-year old). The guy was not masked. That is EXACTly the guy who needs to be masked. So here I am doing the sideways shuffle to be as far as possible from the guy, who was totally oblivious, but it's not easy when the aisles are narrow. It's damn tiring. The City of SRQ now has a mask ordinance but not the County unfortunately which is where there store is.

Save    
mr1010

When a reporter asked DeSantis directly if he takes responsibility for the surge in Florida cases, he didn't answer and instead diverted to the low death rates (which we KNOW are fudged). Pence also ignore a question about bringing the Repub. Convention to Jacksonville which is now the #1 city in the state with runaway cases,

he also replied with his same old gobblegook.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/os-ne-coronavirus-florida-new-record-20200702-6hfcl55k7nhlxdtpxrh2p75wta-story.html

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Call How Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story
Fun Houzz 14 Things You Need to Start Doing Now for Your Spouse’s Sake
You have no idea how annoying your habits at home can be. We’re here to tell you
Full Story