SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

B&W Cabana jacket with mixed B&W top stitching

Lars
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

It's too late to change it now, but I ended up having to mix black and white top stitching on the cabana jacket that I just finished this morning.

Here you can see black top stitching on the pockets and perhaps the black top stitching on the arm holes. I put black top stitching on the sleeve openings to stabilize the lining during washing. I used white thread in the bobbin so that the lining has white top stitching. I did sample buttonholes using this method, but the black thread came through to the lining anyway, and so I just made them white on both sides. I kind of think this is okay, and I sewed the black buttons on with white thread so that black thread would not show through to the lining also.

Here it is buttoned, with the sleeves rolled to show the lining. It shows the top stitching on the shoulders.

Whether it looks perfect or not, it will be very functional for the pool, especially when it is hot like it is now. I made it extra wide so that it will allow air to circulate, but you can wrap it tighter when unbuttoned to keep warmer.

I added the loop because we hang our robes on hooks near the pool and spa, and so this was a functional consideration.

How do you feel about mixing black and white? I have some more fabric in another black and white geometric pattern that looks very 1960s like this one, but I bought the fabric in 1992.

Comments (39)