SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Ready to start looking for a companion kitty

gsciencechick
3 years ago

As many of you know, we lost our black cat about a month ago at age 16 after a year-long battle with cancer. Our little Siamese mix/snowshoe is 10 and very social and quite energetic and loud. She came to us from a multi-pet household with dogs and cats. We have had her since she was 6. As you can see, she got along with our black cat incredibly well even though we thought perhaps he was too old and grumpy. He got along better with her than he ever did with my two previous cats (both males). But he also got more mellow in his older age.

So, we are ready to look at other cats and are looking at Siamese and Siamese mixes. I am still home every day during the summer, teaching online. DH thinks our current kitty would be better with a male since they had a good dynamic, and my coworker who is more familiar with rescues said sometimes two females may be a bit more challenging to put together. I've also read online that a cat younger and opposite gender may be a better fit. DH also feels she would be better as the only female since she is so outgoing, and I think she enjoys being "Queen Bey" of the house and especially his attention. She loves us both, but she is definitely his girl. We are not looking at little kittens and looking at adult cats where their listing says they are good with other cats. I've got about 10 favorited on Petfinder and we are ready to inquire. So, I wanted to get some feedback from all the cat owners here. Thanks.

Comments (174)