SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jefferson_morgan

Weird Mirror and Lighting in old bathroom - not sure what to do

Jefferson Morgan
3 years ago

I'll do my best to describe my dilemma... I'm renting an older home with plaster walls, so I'm trying to avoid messing with the walls much and don't want to do anything that I can't undo when I move out.

Here is my terrible bathroom mirror/lighting set up. I want to replace/cover up the existing mirror and lights. Here's where things are tricky:

• The light on the left is hardwired, with a switch on the light fixture - not connected to the light switch.
  • The light on the right is hardwired and connected to the light switch.
  • Both lights have rectangular bases that have been painted around - so if I remove them, there will be white rectangles underneath that I couldn't cover with a round fixture.
  • The mirror is a medicine cabinet mirror that seems to be part of the actual wall. Like... I can't see anything that would indicate I could pull the whole cabinet out of the wall - no screws or anything.
  • The mirror door is connected to the rest of the cabinet on two hinges that I think I could easily remove and put a new door on, or just cover up entirely.
  • Because of the walls, I don't want to screw anything into the walls.

I'm open to any and all ideas that will let me have an updated mirror and lights. Here are some things I'm thinking about, but open to other ideas as well!

• Finding a mirror/door that I can replace the current door with and replace the lights with basic wall sconces with a similar setup but an updated look (so far I haven't found a sconce I like).
  • Removing the door and lights and covering the whole section with a large mirror that is light enough to hang on the wall using 3M strips or screwing into the wood frame of the mirror cabinet; plugging a light into the socket or converting the right light to a socket so I can keep using the light switch. An issue here is that I'm not sure where I would hang the new lights.

What thoughts do you have? Again, I'm open to ALL ideas that will make this look better without damaging the walls!

Comment (1)