SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_davenport22

Is this a Silver Queen, Moonshine, Silver Sword...?

Nicole Davenport
3 years ago

The good folk of Reddit houseplants referred me here - I adopted this lovely over the weekend, but it has a generic label. At first I thought it was a Moonshine, but I have never seen them this tall - she is over 60cm. What could she be? Thank you kindly for your help :)

Comments (37)

• barbmock
    3 years ago

Beautiful plant!

• Related Discussions

Non-Toxic Plants for Indoor Pets

Q

Comments (1)
    Nice list, thanks! I have a dog, so the indoor plants I have are nontoxic: an african violet, a nontoxic fern, culinary herbs in hubby's Aerogarden, and a goldfish plant (which I love!! It is so cool looking.) Used to have a Persian violet which was fabulous and fragrant-- smelled great for about 2 months, but it eventually finished flowering, sickened and died. It was replaced by the goldfish plant.
    ...See More

Silver Foliage Plants and Artemisia Silver Mound opinions

Q

Comments (16)
    I've had Dusty Miller overwinter even here in zone 3 with good snow cover but they always look ratty the second year so I buy them as bedding plants and grow them as annuals. When I lived in zone 5 they over-wintered fine. They look good in a massed planting. I have lamb's ears for hardy perennial silver plants - they self-seed but one can cut off the flowers. I leave them as the bees love them. We're trying to keep Russian olives alive but they are struggling - our soil is likely too heavy for them and they are large shrubs or trees so that's not what you want. I also have an Achillea "Moonshine" which has somewhat silvery foliage. Snow in Summer is attractive but may be invasive. E. wulfenii 'Silver Swan' has attractive foliage altho I don't like the flowers and I'd cut them off. There are also various sempervivums which are silvery.
    ...See More

Photos needed for the National Convention

Q

Comments (35)
    Teresa, Thanks for catching that. No! it is bone dry. I've been out since 8 cleaning out gardens and when I got tired mid-afternoon I did that look-up to justify sitting my 60-year-old bones down for a good rest. My gosh, what a luxury to have a) a spring weekday off and b) beautiful gorgeous perfect weather to work in the yard and c) promise of rain tomorrow. ;-) --MH
    ...See More

Strange babies.

Q

Comments (9)
    Stush- That is very interesting! I did not thnk those started out THAT light.....it does almost look the color of 'Moonshine' there. On that first plant the small pup looks like it will darken....rereading I think that was what was being asked about. I was looking at the taller "pup" that looks yellow/albino to me. I had a hahni once that produced some pups like that (totally pale/yellow) and did not survive once removed from the mother. Stush I think you nailed his question though........and they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" your photo backs it up. For some reason I always have had trouble with laureni 'Silver'.......not sure why and I wonder if it was my particular plant/clone or something in my growing conditions it did not like.
    ...See More
  • Nicole Davenport
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a) Oh they are beautiful. They look really similar. My plant has some small thin leaves that are not pale or striped.. but are plain darker green. Do Silver Queens do that?

• Nicole Davenport
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@barbmock Isn't she just! I find myself smiling every time I stop to look at her. And she is such a contrast from the Hahnii I have on the bedside table.

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Nicole, on my plants the new leaves are very light and get a little darker with age, like Moonshine. It also depends on how much light they are getting. Mine have different widths and heights also.

Also, what is silver sword? Is that a new name for silver princess/gray lady?

• Nicole Davenport
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a) Thank you for that, there seems to be a mixture in the pot - I can see a pup where the leaves are all light, but also some individual leaves that don't seem to have offshoots that are dark green, thin and strappy.. Will try and get some close up pics when I am back home.

Not sure about the silver sword - maybe it is a marketing name they have here in Australia.. here are some links from Aussie online plant places

Example 1 (this looks very much like my plant)

Example 2 (this looks more like a moonshine)

• Nicole Davenport
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a) Hi Nancy, I took some closeups of the base to show you what I mean.. here is

1) the fully light-leaved pup

2) Examples of thin strappy but much darker green leaves

3) The way the leaves lighten up as you go up the plant..

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    3 years ago

Nicole, the first example you showed says it grows to 60 cm (about 24 inches) which is what you said yours was. The second example only says it comes in an 8 inch pot but lists no height. It has a wider leaf and appears to be Moonshine.

My tallest leaf is 114.3 cm (45 inches). My leaves vary in height, color and width. I also have a silver princess/gray lady, the tallest, newest, leaf is 12.5 inches. I guess I'm saying I don't know what you have, but just giving info on my plants which are Silver queen.

There is a German website, Sanseverix, you can go to which has a lot of information on it. I just translate it on Google. LINK BELOW

CLICK HERE

Adding a picture of gray lady/silver princess

Nicole Davenport thanked akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
  • Nicole Davenport
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a) Instant bookmark! I've been looking for a website like that for a while, thank you so much! At this stage, I am thinking my plant is closer to a Silver Queen than any other option, so that is what I will call her for now :)

• Jessabell
    3 years ago

So beautiful! I have been looking for a silver queen for over a year. Do you know where I could buy one? Did you get it off of a website?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    3 years ago

Silver Queen, silver princess/gray lady google it adding (to buy) and should show many offers and price range. They have been around some time and should be available.

I give up with names. I'm lucky I remember my name.

Some nice grown plants showed.

• Jessabell
    3 years ago

I found one on Etsy. It just arrived today! Yay😊😊😊🌱💚 thanks so much for your help!

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    3 years ago

You're welcome:-)

• Jessabell
    3 years ago

@akrrm
    @Stush2049
    Thanks again for your help with helping me locate my silver queen! I absolutely love it!! Sadly most of the leaves didn't make it due to the lack of root system it came with but I was able to cut the leaves up and water propagate them. They all grew beautiful roots. I just planted them into soil a month ago so fingers crossed I should see some new pups in the next couple months💚🌱
    I was looking for a banded nelsonii but now that I know it's possible for a whitney to grow to a good height (thank you Stush) I'm going to cross my fingers mine can get that big and I'm moving on to the next plant on my wish list lol. I'm looking for a silver laurentii. I tried googling it and going to the shopping tab but I'm not finding anything. I searched all of ebay and etsy as well. I called all of my local nurserys and quite a few within a 3 hour radius and keep coming up empty. Glassworks had something similar, or possibly the same with a different name, for sale but they are out of stock as well. Since you guys helped me track my silver queen down last time I'm hoping maybe you might have a lead on what else I could try? Or any other names it might be called that I could try googling? Thanks!😊🤞

3 years ago

Jessabell, No promises but I have to check mine when I bring it out for the summer. In another month. I may be able to send you a 'start' of Silver Laurentii. All I ask is postage.

Also I'm not sure if Silver Queen will propagate true from cuttings. It may produce regular trifasciata. For true clones you must have a rhizome section. I have seen many cuttings sold on Etsy that has so tiny section of rhizome that it is possible for reversion or at worse total loss. Norma Lewis (here) has said you must have at lest 2 in. to be sure.

• Jessabell
    3 years ago

@Stush
    Oh bummer about the silver queens not propagating true from leaf cuttings. Hopefully at least 1 or 2 come out true. I rooted about 20 cuttings, criss your fingers for me 🤞😊I cut up some old moonshine leaves and most reverted to robusta but I got 3 new baby moonshines out of them too. I was so shocked! Have you ever noticed that the propagated leaf cutting plants are so much smaller than pups produced off the mother plants? They seem so itsy bitsy to me.
    Also, thank you so much for the offer of sending me a start off of one of your silver Laurentiis, that is the sweetest gesture!! I actually was able to find one the day after I had posted about not being able to find one and it arrived today! And total bonus, it has 2 pups growing off the rhizome and had beautiful roots💚🌱 I really appreciate the offer of sending me though! If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been growing sansevieria? You seem so knowledgeable. I would definitely buy your book if you ever wrote one!😊

3 years ago

Thank you but like you I am still learning. Reason why we post. We learn and teach what we know. Some times not so much being right all the time. Most of what I know came from reading and sharing since I first joined this group.

I am very surprised that you got 3 baby moonshine from cuttings. (see still learning). First growth are called juvenile stage. They tend to grow into tiny rosettes and subsequent pups tend to be taller and more robust. I have some stuck in juvenile stage by removing any new pups that form. Removing pups too soon causes them to suffer and become dwarf themselves.

There are some very generous people in this group. Sadly some have left. Many of my plants were gifted to me and likewise I tend to share the experience by gifting to others here.

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    2 years ago

Jessabell, silver queen does propagate true from cuttings. This cutting is from 6/25/2020 and I have two new plants coming up.

• housezebra
    2 years ago

I recently adopted a very similar unknown silver variety myself. The tag says "Silver Green", which I've never heard of, and I'm not yet convinced this is actually a "real" species or cultivar? I've attached a couple pics here, what do y'all think? Is this just a Moonshine? Or is "Silver Green" something slightly different? Thanks!!

2 years ago

Looks exactly like my Moonshine.

• Jessabell
    2 years ago

@Stush
    I've never shipped a plant before but if you would like a silver queen I would be happy to send one to you! I have one that is from the mother plant and is about 10-12 inches tall. I had cut away some of the ugly leaves so it doesn't have a full rosette but the roots and rhizome are great so it should produce new perfect pups in the future. I also have a nursery pot of the leaf cuttings that are starting to send pups up. You're always so kind at offering others plants from your collection. I wanted to return the gesture. If you're not interested, no worries at all. Hope your Monday is off to a great start!😊

2 years ago

Thank you Jessabell, That's very kind of you. I have 'Gray Lady' aka Silver Princess and 'Silver Laurentii'. I don't have yours. I am overwhelmed with many plants as of now and will have to decline you offer. Thank you again. It is a very attractive plant.

• Jessabell
    2 years ago

@Stush
    I totally get it, no worries at all. It's my pleasure! It's a standing offer so if you ever change your mind and want one, I'm your girl to go to! And thank you again for all you do for all of us. You are a true asset to the sansevieria community💚🌱😊

2 years ago

Thank you Jessaell for your high praise, but I am only one out of so many here that shared plants with me as well when I first came over here and got some really nice plants to start my collection with.

• robinswfl
    2 years ago

Jesabell, I must join in your praise for Stush. His experiences with, and advice about, growing Sansevierias have saved me (and my plants!) more than once. Actually, more than a dozen times! Stush, you are a real treasure on this forum. I ALWAYS read your comments! Like so many, I have learned a ton from you, especially in the Sans department.

2 years ago

I'm not used to getting thanks. Well thank you.

• Russ / Central Fla Z9b
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I agree with all, Stush is always here offering expert advise and his propagations for postage only. He's been a constant sans friend and great source of information over the years.

Jessabell, I lost my Silver Queen years ago and haven't been able to locate another one. Any chance you would trade one of your leaf cutting plants for a sans of your choice from my collection? I can send you a list of ones I have available if you will tell me what type interests you most. I have Gray Lady, also called Silver Princess in Europe, that you might like. Thanks

Moonshine should revert to Robusta from leaf cuttings, which is the same size but has trifasciata colors and banding.

• e3ecd3
    2 years ago

Agreed re @Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 (thanks again for the help on garden .org).

@Jessabell I've had my eye on a Silver Queen for some time, and if you have a division or even a leaf clipping to spare, please let me know. I think I have messaging on here activated—Thanks!

• Jessabell
    2 years ago

@Stush
    You totally deserve it!! Your kindness and generosity are something I've never experienced before and your advice and knowledge are priceless and so appreciated. You are just pure awesomeness!! Also, I know you say you don't need them all, and hands down your Whitney is super stunning💚, but I was able to track down a banded nelsonii. If you would ever like one you have a standing offer for that one from me as well🤗 I was only able to get 2 stalks so I'm sure it'll take a minute for it to pup but once it does, if you want one, it's all yours😊

@Russ
    Well hello there!! It's nice to finally meet you! I've read many of your posts and have learned so much from you too! I would love to send you a silver queen😊 I can send both of the ones in the photos I posted for Stush if you would like. The leaf cutting one has grown taller and is pushing up another pup💚 I've never shipped plants before so any advice on how to package would be fantastic lol. I have lots of cotton balls to help protect the leaf cutting pups and I feel like they would do better being shipped in the nursery pot with the soil, but not sure about how to wrap the roots of the taller one🤔

Again, super nice to meet you! You and Stush are sansevieria legands! I'm so thankful for everything you guys have written on these forums!😊

@PMA FTW
    I would be more than happy to send you a nursery pot of the leaf cuttings of the silver queen for the price of postage. As Stush previously mentioned further down in the post, the leaf cutting will produce juvenile plants but their pups will become larger. I have a nursery pot of leaf cuttings that has currently put 3 pups up, they're each about a half inch tall right now. I can add photo when I get home if you would like to see. I also want to emphasize, I've never shipped plants before so any advice would be wonderful.
    Silver Queen also have a very thin layer of protective coating on them and the smallest scratch can cause a scar on the leaf. I learned the hard way when I was trying to get a single piece of perlite out of the crown of one. Next time, I fight my OCD and live with it until the next leaf gently pushes it out of the way on its own lol😂

• e3ecd3
    2 years ago

@Jessabell Thanks for your response! I'd appreciate it and will gladly pay for priority shipping, but can't figure out how to message you from your profile page with my info. Here's a link to my profile page—if you could please message me using the message button there, that would be great. An image would be great if you have the time.

I have some ideas about shipping based on how I've seen some large leafed divisions shipped, but am no pro : | Russ will probably have proper insight as to how they might be shipped.

• Jessabell
    2 years ago

@PMA FTW
    For sure! I clicked the link and I see no where to send a message. I will try going onto my home computer today and see if I can message you that way. The app doesn't seem to let me message anybody 😕
    Here is a photo of the leaf cuttings :)

• Jessabell
    2 years ago

@Russ
    Here is an updated photo of the leaf cuttings, you can't see the newest one in photo because it's hidden behind the other pups but there are a total of 4 in there now😊

• e3ecd3
    2 years ago

@Jessabell !! Thank you for posting the photos. They're all lookers! Will wait for your message.

• Jessabell
    2 years ago

@PMA FTW

I just messaged you :)

• Russ / Central Fla Z9b
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thank you Jessabell, shipping sans is easier than most plants. Over the years I've sent them to traders in Poland, England, Denmark, Sweden, Spain and others, usually took 10 days in the mail and don't recall losing any. Older plants can be sent bare-root, just wrap them in newspaper or bubble wrap and fill the box with more so they don't thrash around. Cotton, styrofoam chips or anything light will also work.

Regarding young, tender sans, I would wrap roots with DAMP, not wet, paper towelling or newspaper. Some folks might use long fiber sphagnum moss but it's expensive and not necessary. Wrap that with plastic wrap and secure with tape, rubber band or whatever.

I always send by Priority Mail but be careful of picking up Flat Rate boxes at the Post Office. If you put a 6 oz sans in a large Flat Rate box, you'll pay something like $18 when a regular Priority box would have cost $8 to $10 depending on where it's going. Now if you can get that 10 lb masoniana in the Flat Rate, you'll save money.

2 years ago

If it fits it ships at the same super high rate. LOL. I try to fit in a regular box to see if I can go regular USPS saving about half. If over 13 oz. then Priority Mail (regular) is about the same cost. So once I reach the 10 oz. mark then I figure I have to go Priority Mail. Ships in a few days but like Russ said, Sans are tuff and a few more days don't matter.

• Jessabell
    2 years ago

@Russ
    Sweet! I'll definitely take your advice and ship them to you that way😊 I can't make it to the post office until Monday. Can you message me the address of where you would like them sent? That's crazy you've shipped overseas before!! I just love how tough sansevieria are😀