SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sassymo69

Raised Ranch Back extension

Sarah McCaffrey
3 years ago

Hello - we are considering the purchase of a 1970s Raised Ranch house, mainly due to its massive lot. It is the typical RR front entry with the double stairs up/down. The main problem is that the upper level, which contains the main living spaces, is very small and every room is closed off. The "boxy" layout currently contains to the right and back: a tiny kitchen, tiny DR, small BR and to the left and back: small LR and master BDR. There is also a bathroom in the middle back of the space. I would like to open everything up and use the entire current upper living space as an open concept K/LR/DR. I was hoping to add a master bedroom and bath on the back upper right section of the house. The rest of the bedrooms will be on the lower level. I was hoping to either extend out from the current upper split level height or possibly build a step up master suite that is regular second level height. This second option would allow me to consider putting in a sunroom below or at the very least, not having a bunch of unusable space below the addition due to height restriction.

It's very similar to the house in this pic. There is already a detached garage jutting out further than the back of the house to the right side. I'm hoping this would help the extension blend in.

Has anyone ever done this before? I can't find a lot of info online about raised ranch back extensions, in general. I have a decent budget, but I am wondering how much of it this project would eat up and if it will look "weird" hanging off the back of the house? Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated! Photos would be next level! :)

P.S. Feel free to provide any ideas on how to fix the mushroom top look of this place, too. I want to remove the side shingles and entire protruding angled piece, but I'm wondering if I'll have to fix the overhang on the roof afterwards.

Comments (22)