SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethjdunbar

Update to my 80s Schizo Exterior

elizabethjdunbar
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm not sure how to link back to the original post, but wanted to give an update and ask for a bit more advice. (Sorry if I'm posting incorrectly).

Ok folks! An UPDATE! and call for more advice!

After much deliberation we decided against painting the brick. Too expensive and too much work. We sampled several different paint swatches (some suggested by you!) and opted for a dark gray with a hint of purple (I know, I know, the majority said no to gray, but we really liked it with the red brick. And we are pleased!). We just purchased modernist light fixtures in bronze https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AINJ3F2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and plan on replacing the double doors with simple, full light ones that should line up nicely with the adjacent plate glass windows. The effect will be similar to the wall of glass that is the back of the house--so you can see right through from front to back!

One of the biggest changes, however, is the elimination of the stone pillars in front! We just demo'd them and the difference is amazing. So much more light and the car port roof seems less oppressive. However, we need to clad the steel posts with something. Any suggestions? I was considering something much narrower than previous and maybe painted to match the house color? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

original post

Comments (4)