SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Spiral staircase vs. regular stair case

lyfia
3 years ago

Our architect suggested we add a lookout area (he called it aire) for our house to take advantage of our view even more as it would allow us a view over the tree-tops and along the full 270 degrees and it would be a nice hideaway for reading, puzzles, board games, our chess table and kind of fun as a house we almost bought had a small tower that we all liked.

Now besides adding the square footage for the lookout room we obviously need to get up there, but really don't want to expand the foot print of our main floor. We originally had a regular stair case in an L-shape drawn in, but it reduced the size of our storm room that is in the area that we would like to use for storm shelter as well as storage. Our architect suggested using a spiral stair case instead and drew in a 6x6 area for a 3x3 spiral staircase. It is cutting down some on our master closet where it would go, but I think we could deal with that as the closet was a bit larger than needed, but the shape needs some re-working.

However, I've never lived with a spiral stair case and not sure if I will like it. I've lived with winder stairs with no issues so I'm sure we could adapt.

Issues I can see with this arrangement though is as follows - am I just being too negative and these aren't a big deal?

1. Getting furniture up there - although mainly chairs/table/book cases where the last two at least can be assembled upstairs.

2. Cleaning of the stairs. This seems like dusting/vacuuming would be a pain with all the exposed areas.

3. Do you need a 6x6 area as a minimum for a 3x3 just to be able to get around and clean the area underneath or can you get away with smaller.

4. This would be more of a positive, but I understand they are less costly to install than regular stairs, but is regular stairs that expensive?

Are there any other things? It just seems to me like with regular stairs that overall I'm wasting less square footage even though overall they take up more, but the space under the stairs is used.

Comments (14)