SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonathan_schneider40

Quieting A Noisy Air Handler In A Small Home Office

I am curious if anyone else has a similar issue to mine and what can be done about it.

When designing the built-ins for my home office (which is about a 12 x 12 square room), I didn't fully think through the placement of my desk. It is situated right in front of the air handler door (the one with the slats).

I adjusted the blower speed down but the unit makes a lot of noise and it is a small space. When it comes on, it totally disturbs my conference calls, video meetings, etc. (And it is totally disturbing when listening to my music or watching TV). I usually crank it down to right before a call and then sweat it out. But in the afternoons, it's a problem especially because my office Ffrench doors face due West and the sun and heat pour in (even with protective film and shutters). The office heats up and cools down quickly.

I can't move the desk. And I can't move the air handler. I could ditch it and get a mini split system for the other side of the wall which my AC person says will be almost silent. However, before that, what are some options / solutions? I tried insulating the interior of the door panel with a moving blanket but it doesn't help and I need to keep the return vent open.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Comments (10)