SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_484845831

Why are my mango trees dropping leaves

HU-484845831
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My 2 mango trees are planted about 4 feet away from each other and the soil I mixed in cow manure and the soil is sandy the weather is hot and the weather and humidity is suitable for mangos so the only thing I could think of is it either is a bacterial infection or the soil P.H the problem is that I don’t know my soils ph Value and is there any way I could know if it is the ph of the soil or any other thing? Aswell my fruit at my alphonso mango tree the fruit is rotting on it

Comments (29)

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I planted them a few days ago and they were inside small containers for some reason and I am planning to give it a high phosphorus and potassium fertilizer will that work but what if it is a bacterial infection in the plant what should I do then?

• Related Discussions

Mango Tree dropped all leaves

Q

Comments (1)
    Depends on what caused defoliation. Total defoliation usually a sign of severe problems when tree is evergreen type.
    ...See More

Why are mango tree leaves yellowing and dropping? (w/ pics)

Q

Comments (8)
    I agree with the two posters...I think the ones you're losing are the mature leaves, these do yellow and drop as they are replaced by new growths. Mine does the same thing usually when I have a growth flush. New leaves will harden off and darken in a few weeks. If it were my tree, I would taper off on the watering to every 3-4 days now...for about a week or two unless you get rain. By appx. 3 months I would water once every 5 days or so till you're tree gets a little more established(usually around 6 months) Nothing beats rain water to get those nice growth flushes...so much better than hose water. I would wait till its at least 6 weeks then I would "very" lightly fertilize. Either some Milorganite(or slow release) or Fish emulsion diluted. Mango trees are susceptible to fertilizer burn(leaves and roots) if given too much or too strong of a fertilizer...so add half of the recommended dosage. Don't put the granular fertilizer near the trunk...place it on the drip line...Don't fertilize after the end of October once the weather starts to cool off...hopefully by Dec or Jan. you might get some blooms? Just my advise... Good luck! Your tree looks nice and healthy!
    ...See More

why are my potted mango leaves falling?

Q

Comments (3)
    Not enough light, too much heat, and possibly water issues. MH lights put out about 30% of the spectrum that plants use for photosynthesis and the rest you still pay for on your electric bill. I recommend one or two of the standard 8-bulb T5 fluorescent fixtures that has the HO or VHO bulbs in the "daylight" (6500 Kelvin) series.
    ...See More

Why is my tree dropping leaves?

Q

Comments (0)
    Environmental conditions can cause leaf drop. Usually heavy drop occurs if trees are over or under watered, over fertilized, root damage or frost. Early leaf drop may also be a warning sign that a tree is dying.
    ...See More
  • tropicbreezent
    3 years ago

Unlikely it's a bacterial infection. Most probably transplant shock in hot weather. Don't fertilise until the trees are settled in and back to growing normally. Otherwise you could end up causing more damage. The manure you mixed into the soil might have been too strong as well. Better to mix things like that into soil well before planting and watering in well. Since it's sandy soil, drainage should be good so you should be able to flush excess nutrients out. Don't allow the soil to stay soggy for any length of time. Other than that, it's just a waiting game.

HU-484845831 thanked tropicbreezent
  • HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok but this transplant shock is stronger than any transplant shock I saw for vegetable Plants the shock they get isn’t too dangerous but also the mango trees fruit looks like it is rotting on the tree is it actually rotting or is it from the transplant shock aswell I Fertilized my mango tree because I thought that it Had a lack of nutrients because my sandy soil is a little poor and then I added the phosphorus rich fertilizer and it is said that the soil ph that mangos like is between 6.0 - 7.0 so it might also be ph well maybe

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    3 years ago

The cow manure is FAR too strong..you might have burned the Mango to death. It's also heavy,making the soil anaerobic.

I would take it out..wash off all that soils and replant in a plain cactus and succulent mix. Hope it can recover. Good luck!

HU-484845831 thanked stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
  • HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also since my soil is sandy can the excess nutrients wash off from the well draining soil so my Soil is really sandy and I thought that mango trees would not grow so I used the manure and my soil is almost fully sand just like the sand in the beach but a little better so I am not sure if it is actually from the cow manure or the liquid Fertilizer maybe soil ph because I saw that sandy soils have a lower ph so maybe it is from ph I will see

• tropicbreezent
    3 years ago

As I said before, flushing is the best thing to do provided the water can easily get away, which it should do in your sandy soil. You won't know what your soil pH is unless you do a test. A place I lived in previously had very sandy soil. The pH was 5.4 (my cheap test kit indicated 5.6 and later a proper laboratory analysis indicated 5.4). Great for pineapples but mangos also grew well. My current place I have over 500 mango trees. Soil pH is about 8 and the mangos grow well.

The reason you hear quotes of 6.0 to 7.0 is because that's a generic figure for most plants. When they don't know, people will say 6 to 7, it's a safe middle figure and you can't go wrong. The truth is that mangos can cope with a wide range of soil types and conditions. That's why they're grown so widely around the world. Poorer soils are often better as you get better fruit production. Richer soils will produce fast growth but the tree will have less fruit, be weaker and more prone to wind damage. Over fertilising will do that as well.

Guessing fertiliser requirements is very hit and miss, often resulting in needless expense. You can get a soil test done. You can also get a leaf test done. The leaf test will tell you what the plant is able to pick up from the soil and what is missing. That costs money so depends on how serious you are.

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

is there any way to know when I need to fertilize my mango tree because I think I over fertilized it and is it true that they can live without being Fertilized for a year? I have two fertilizers one i need to ad 50ml of fertilizer and mix it in 1L of water and the other I have to put 300 ml of each and mix it in 20L of water does each fertilizer have a different chance of making the soil over fertilized?

3 years ago

I know you don't realize it...but its not transplant shock as much as hot manure on a plant that doesn't like manure..too much salts burn Mango roots.

I'm telling you,they were in that original sandy mix because they thrived in it. Why you bought them right? They looked fine, right?..so by mixing in manure- and for potted plants is really a no-no of highest order,you burned the plant.

Like I said the hope isnt more calcium or magnesium or whatever you mentioned..the hope is getting that muck off the Mango roots.

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

so about all that is there a chance of it recovering from all this damage right now all of the leaves are yellow so does it have any chance of recovering?

• tropicbreezent
    3 years ago

Just watch for signs of new buds developing. You say the weather is hot, so it shouldn't take long.

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What if there were no buds coming out? What will I have to do then?

• tropicbreezent
    3 years ago

In your post 9 days ago you said the transplant was a few days prior. That's almost 2 weeks ago. There should be some signs by now. You could give it a bit longer but it's looking like they might be completely dead. In that case your only option is to replace them.

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And if I replace them how long should I wait until I replace them? Because the cow manure will still be there the nutrients would still be in the soil or should I replace them instantly

• tropicbreezent
    3 years ago

One of the main things produced in decomposing manure is ammonia (or ammonium compounds). Poultry manure is worse than cow manure for this. With the hot weather and sufficient moisture the decomposition will be faster. Ammonium compounds are very soluble and will be flushed out relatively fast. Micro organisms will be absorbing some of the nutrients as well. Keeping up the watering for another couple of weeks should clear the soil sufficiently.

Manure is a good soil conditioner but needs to be aged or put through a composting system first. All the nutrients in manure are good, but they need to be 'diluted' and spread evenly.

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So when a few weeks pass by and will the plant be already dead? Or still alive because it is now really damaged all of the leaves are dry and brown and how Long do I have to wait until I get another mango tree and can I mix the cactus mix in and remove most of the manure Then plant it?

• tropicbreezent
    3 years ago

If you try to bend a dead mango branch it will snap, they dry and become brittle. But if you try and it is more flexible then there's probably some life in it. That's one test you can do if there's no new buds developing on it. If you remove most of the manure what remains will break down quickly and get leached away. It just takes a bit of time. keep up the watering. Then you can plant there again.

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just bended one Of the branches and it broke easily while the other tree I blended one but it wasn’t that flexible it was just very very very very very little flexible so doe stay mean the plant is dead?

3 years ago

Wash off all the mix you place around it. Use cactus mix..and you could even add perlite to make it even faster draining. But,Unless you live a tropical climate,I would not expect to see improvement any time soon. If you head off it losing more leaves? Then you are back on the right track. Or,see buds swelling in a few weeks or months.

Now,I was going on a potted plant. If you added manure to planting it in ground? Then dig it up,remove as much manure mix as you can,and then replant with cactus mix and never let it go bone dry.

My bottom line feeling is..you may have killed it. The roots burned badly. Still,one last try at doing it right might work.

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok but I forgot to get a cactus mix but my soil is basically most sand so does that work?

3 years ago

Well,Hu,if you remove all the manure-- wash the now dug up Mango roots with clean water,replant and never let go dry..maybe if you are in a warm humid summer climate,it will recover..slowly,but may recover. Maybe.

3 years ago

I see you live in Hawaii? Ok,the odds of recovery just shot waaay up. If it's alive,it should recover.

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don’t live in Hawaii I live in Doha,Qatar

but will the nutrients still stay in the soil for a long time? If so how long minimum

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

As well I transplanted a new mango tree and removed most of the manure and replaced it with sand and the same thing is happening and aswell when i transplanted it I didn’t do any thing to the potted soil I didn’t remove it or make the roots not bound And it wasn’t so root bound but Why is the same this happening

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

As well is it because of little nutrients since I removed all of the manure of over fertilizing from the manure

3 years ago

You need to keep them watered in the heat of Qatar. Also- its possible the water you have is too salty? minerally,hard? You might use bottled water for the young mangoes and later they will have enough roots. Also,if not the water? Then its still residual damage from the salts in the manure. Its going to take more time than a few days. It might totally defoliate...but if the trunk stays firm? You will see new buds. Success!

You might whitewash the trunk..Mango wood will burn if exposed to high desert heat. That would kill the tree also.

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok but the leaves are actually shading. The tree trunk but if the leaves burn I will add safe white paint for plant and I have heard of this person that made organic plant paint IV Organic I think you have heard of him but will his product be useful for mango trees?

3 years ago

Any water based latex paint will do...thin it to a wash is all.

Again,the tree is recovering underground...defoliating tattered burned leaves is natural. If the trunk starts to shrivel? THAT is the death knell.

• HU-484845831
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok so IF the mango tree heals from all that then will I have to put white paint on the tree trunk every year? And when will I have to fertilize?