SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

How Many Varieties of Portulacaria Afra Variegated Are There?

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I picked up three different Portulacaria Afra Variegated from several different suppliers, and they are quite different from each other, as shown in the photo. How many varieties are there? Is there any variety where the base color of the leaf is not greenish?

As an aside: I have never encountered a succulent that can live so long with zero water. The topmost plant in this photo never received a drop of water - while planted in the very dry gritty mix - for three months after the last rain.

I also found a fascinating article online that made this claim:

"Portulacaria evolved to become especially water efficient during photosynthesis and respiration, holding onto its stores of moisture. In the process, it became one of the best natural carbon sponges in the world. It’s better at capturing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and fixing it in its own fibers and the soil than nearly any other plant. This is known as carbon sequestration. Acre for acre, Portulacaria afra is more effective at removing carbon from the environment than the rain forest. To improve the air quality in or around your home or to combat global warming — plant Portulacaria afar!"

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting