SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amramirez85

Exterior (character and siding) input, please!

Ashley Ramirez
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are building a floorplan we created with a custom builder that we are very excited about, however, I have been slightly less enthusiastic about the exterior concepts sent to us by the drafter they use.

My original desire was for something along the lines of "modern french country" which I don't feel like he understood at all, even after I supplied suggestive images. I have had to push and push for specific design elements and character/interest points. We have some exterior renderings, and I still feel like our exterior is just not quite "there" yet when it comes to curb appeal.

I'm looking for some suggestions of ways to create character and balance, specifically in the front. I do like the large, vestibule type entry way with openings to the small patio areas on either side. I will be adding two large lanterns to either side of the stone/brick (have not decided) entry, and directly behind the arched window will be a large foyer chandelier.

Here are my dilemmas:

I don't know what to do with the siding. Keep it board and batten all over, or mix it up with some horizontal lap? Make it all horizontal lap siding? I am planning to go DARK - like, Sherwin Williams 'Iron Ore' dark - on the WHOLE exterior which black windows and probably either a full-lite glass front door or a warmer wood stained front door. I LOVE the drama and moodiness of dark houses and have seen several online and in person that make my heart skip a beat because they are so beautiful and different. If I go with brick, I either want to use a black/dark grey stone OR use a paint-friendly brick and paint it Iron Ore as well. The texture of painted brick really speaks to me. My other thought was to use a lighter grey stone and over-grout it for an 'old world' feel.

All input is appreciated! Here are our renderings so far:

Comments (37)