SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
likestonehomes

What colour to paint kitchen walls

likestonehomes
3 years ago

We are remodelling our kitchen, removing walls to create open concept. The kitchen cabinets will be dark cherry stain, natural oak floors and Handstone, Montauk quartz. I prefer light warm neutral walls that will co-ordinate with the cabinets. I would also paint the ceilings same colour as walls.

The cabinet sample is the one on the right, shaker style Thank you for your help

FLOOR

CABINET SAMPLE right

Current Kitchen Ceilings 18’ high

Comments (33)

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Let's get things in place then worry about paint color - that's the easiest to pick once we know what we are dealing with, also the cheapest to re-do if it doesn't work.

So many other things to worry about before paint !

likestonehomes thanked Angel 18432
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Angel, I am not sure what you mean. We are ordering cabinets next week, contractor is coming to demo walls, deal with plumbing electricity etc. Appliances are chosen. Can you elaborate thank you.

• Related Discussions

What color to paint my kitchen walls? (PICS)

Q

Comments (9)
    With the light cabinets and light counters and splash, I would put color on the walls, and I would do something at least a midtone into the deeper tones. You will have enough light and neutral that you can afford to go bolder if you wnat to. A midtone will still look fairly soft with those other choices. I was thinking green or blue, but you could even go into the reds. If you like blue too, that would be my first choice. Of the tabs you have there in the first photo, I'd say second from the top, fourth one down maybe or next to last one (for green), but you might want to play with some other blue tones. I'm not loving any of the ones actually painted on the wall, but of those, the khaki is the closest.
    ...See More

Urgent! Kitchen color help...

Q

Comments (1)
    Very pretty kitchen, nice backsplash. The lemon grass looks a touch green and your backsplash looks very blue in the photo. Does it work with the countertops and the marble in the backsplash? If it's not too yellow, then it should be fine. You want to look at something that matches the countertops but is light enough for the cabinets. To keep if from looking like a battleship, stay away from blue gray and seafoam colors.
    ...See More

What color should I paint this wall/kitchen?

Q

Comments (2)
    Is the entry wall painted grey? If so..not sure about clay-brown. Did you consider using the same color as the entry wall or maybe a shade lighter/darker?
    ...See More

What color to paint one wall in the kitchen?

Q

Comments (3)
    palest of blue will work and complement and not interfere with other things you bring into the space. nice cabinet colors shown in a kitchen but I'd go even a bit lighter for wall paint....like the walls in the last two pics. very nice....
    ...See More
  • Love stone homes
    3 years ago

Does anyone have colour ideas.

likestonehomes thanked Love stone homes
  • Angel 18432
    3 years ago

So you have ordered everything, and want a paint color.

Get everything in place then email. Hope you haven't ordered back splash.

This should be done once everything is in place.

• PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Is your Kitchen Designer not helping you with these decisions? If you’re dealing with a cabinet seller, then hiring a Kitchen Designer to help you pull the choices together to create cohesiveness would be your best bet. The independent designer who designed our showroom does online consults if you don’t have someone local. @User

likestonehomes thanked ProSource Memphis
  • ptreckel
    3 years ago

Paint is the very last thing to be concerned about. It should wait until EVERYTHING else is in place. In. Place. Then you will have some sense of what is needed in terms of light, lighting, how the darkness of your chosen cabinetry, counters, etc. absorbs/reflects light.

likestonehomes thanked ptreckel
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone. Backsplash is not yet ordered, guess I am getting ahead of myself with paint.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

are you sure you want the red of a cabinet? on a small sample door it's going to look a lot diff than in an entire kitchen. That is going to be a lot of deep red.

here's the choices w/the countertop

you sure you don't want to do a natural wood and maybe this color island? or white cabs?

personally I think that cherry color is a mistake

Here's a much more natural cherry stain. (in fact, if you like cherry, why not do actual cherry wood cabinets and not a deep burgundy cherry stain?)

As for paint, Any of these would work with your current choices. grab some samples but wait until install to see how they look

likestonehomes thanked Beth H. :
  • Love stone homes
    3 years ago

Thank you Beth, I appreciate your input and your expertise. I am dubious of painting cabinets, as colour trends come and go, other than white. I prefer wood stain over white as well, just my preference, I guess. The cabinets are cherry with a dark stain. Here is another pic. They will be shaker style, so not quite like the photo. this was just a sample. I thought of natural cherry But preferred more contrast between cabinets and floor.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

that doesn't look like natural cherry. are you sure they're using real cherry wood?

the last pic I posted is natural cherry with a light stain. you want darker than that? almost a black cherry?

seems a shame to spend money for natural cherry and then obliterate the natural cherry color and grain. you'd be better off using a diff species of wood if you're going to darken it that much

and, your flooring choice leans yellow. w/the red cabs, it somewhat clashes. if you want that red, then pick a flooring that leans a little red or more neutral toned

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I agree with Beth. I think the cherry cabinets with your floor choice clashes.

likestonehomes thanked eld6161
  • Love stone homes
    3 years ago

Hi Beth and eld, I truly appreciate your advice. the cabinets are cherry, the stain colour Is espresso. The floors will be natural white oak. I wanted Contrast between the floors and cabinets. I was Hoping to achieve similar to these inspiration pic, albeit with wood floors and quartz counters

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Love,,,I get the contrast idea. But your inspo pictures, and your actual choices, don't really look the same.

this is what your stain color looks like to me!

tried to find a pic similar to your choices. Does this look like a close match of what you like? The floors are similar to yours.

So you're doing actual cherry wood (you're sure they are 100% cherry wood?) and getting them stained Java? It just seems like that sample is more of a burgundy.

you want this color? this is Espresso stained Cherry wood.

It's a nice stain color. Is there any way they could adjust the stain color ? maybe get some less red and more 'java' ??

as for the flooring contrast, I still think what you've picked is a bit too yellow. Look at this one. has a touch more red to it, instead of the yellow, which plays better w/the dark cherry cabinets

btw, that paint color Harbor Gray that I posted above, would give you a similar looking wall color. ^

it's more of a taupe/gray floor and creamier wall colors.

dark, cherry wood cabs, but the flooring isn't yellow. more of a medium stain, warmer brown.

I like the floors you've picked, IF they're able to adjust your stain color to be less burgundy.

like this one.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

following

likestonehomes thanked Gcubed
  • Love stone homes
    3 years ago

This new format is driving me nuts. @ Beth, I like your examples, that is the look I am after. Neither floors or cabinet stains are finalized. Though, I am meeting with the kd, cabinet co. next week to place the cabinet order. In my area of Canada the choices are typically Cherry, Maple and Oak (too busy/dated) As I think about your comments I may use a lighter stain on the cabinets.

The sample is 5 yrs old. As Cherry darkens considerably with age, I’m wondering if the “red/burgundy” is the result.

I have yet to make a final decision on the floors. I love your paint selections (:

• Love stone homes
    3 years ago

Back to the drawing board, as they say, well not quite. I will Review sample boards and ill post in next 2 weeks or so. The floor will wait. thank you again for all your help.

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Can you have them do a "Sample" of the wood and stain before you sign off

on the color. Also, keep the sample so you can compare with actual product

when ready to install.

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I Hi Angel, I will ask If they can do a sample, somehow I don’t think they will as they have samples already available. I may also re-consider Maple wood, since darkening the Cherry simply removes its natural character. We will see.

ETA The photo of tp my current cabinet choice was taken directly under a fluorescent light, to what extent will that impact the colour?

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    3 years ago

f

likestonehomes thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Quick update photos

cherry cabinets with Luna stain. I plan to choose floor colour similar to below.

Whistler hanstone quartz. Paint not yet chosen, or backsplash. Will wait to do so as per your advice.

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Looks good and I am assuming you are happy with the color. I just looked up whistler

and it has grey veining in it. I haven't seen it in real life, so cannot comment, but I would

take your door and try it next to a large piece of quartz to see if you like the combination.

Generally grey is a cool color and your door and floors are warm colors.

Perhaps someone with more expertise could comment? Beth?

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Still trying to figure out colour. Tried BM, Silver chain, way too blue in the North light. SW, colonnade, 2nd pic seems ok, but washes out. Just to give you a better idea of the space, Here are pics. Ceilings are a huge component, may need to paint them as well.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

getting,,, you're putting in those dark wood cabinets but are you planning on redoing any of the ceiling lights? all I see is that one track light.

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Beth, That ceiling is a massive blob of white right now and it will be painted similar colour to walls. And new lighting as well. Just not sure what colour, it is a huge expanse, vaults up 17’ then down to standard 8’. The high Windows are south facing, patio door is west and back windows are north facing.

Unfortunately, All the greys either look quite blue or white in the north half of the room as well. So quite the conundrum. We took down the wall between kitchen and livng/dining room.

This is a huge reno, Post and Beam home.

Here are more photos

Bye Bye 1985 Cabinets, and View Blocking wall

Notice Greige paints are blue on North/right side and somewhat white on south/left side. Don’t want blue.

The View...North Windows you can see Revere pewter, Colonade and Grey Horse on this wall.

West Wall

These are south Notice ceiling fan no lights, this will also be changed

South Windows in Alcove

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The current Paint colour (North/window wall and fireplace wall) seems to work. It’s closest to SW 6156-Ramie. Not sure how it will look on south side tho.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Are you paining theses color trials over your current paint? Have you considered painting posterboards to move around the room? seems it would be more efficient and give you a truer color when painted on white

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

^^^^Gcubed, guess I might invest in cardboard. What was amazing tho, Identical colour on paint chip and wall are very different, I don’t trust post boards to reflect true colours. I will post pic in daylight.

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Paint chips usually don't look the same as on the wall.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

When you actually paint your walls, you will prime them white first. So, it's probably best to paint some large white posterboards the colors you want. Set up one on each wall so you can observe the way the color acts morning, noon, night. Don't trust the chips either.

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I am leaning toward toward Accessible beige, any thoughts on this colour?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

getting, before judging you colors, make sure you have a good neutral bulb. something in the 3500-4000K range should give you true colors without making it look too yellow or too blue.

If the grays you are picking look too blue, then you have to move to a warmer gray. or a griege.

Agreeable gray is over in the Taupe area. (see below)

Crushed ice is a very light, warmer gray. you can see the diff w/the other grays:

I noticed you had revere pewter.

She did her cabinets in Revere pewter and a softer white for her walls.

Same color but w/out the warmer lights. (natural daylight) see the diff lighting can make?

here's Revere on the walls w/white cabinets. mostly natural light

BM Smoke Embers is another gray that is neither too blue or too beige.

Why don't you grab a sample of Pale Oak and try that one for the walls?

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth, thank you so much for your efforts and help with this paint dilemma. I truly appreciate it. The issue, I think is north exposure, compounded with south and west exposure. I will try pale oak for sure. What are your thoughts re accessible beige?