SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
derrick_helm

Where to vent ductless (recirculating) range hood?

Derrick Helm
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Wanting to use a ductless range hood to save cost and not have to rework my crown molding (I know exterior vented is superior, but this the best option for me I think). I'm wanting to us a GE range hood insert in a custom built hood that I will make (sim to attached pic). The vent I plan to use does have an optional recirculation kit that shows it venting out the front of the hood, but I have NEVER seen a hood with a vent on the front and don't want that. Since my cabinets do not go all the way to the ceiling I was thinking of having the vent exhaust through out the top of the cabinet/hood (inside the kitchen). There is at least 12 inches between the top of the cabinet and ceiling. However, before I do this I want to confirm it is a good idea and I can't find any reference info at all about this kind of installation. I think at the very least I would want to direct the air flow away from the back wall (not straight up) so any grease residue that may make it through the filter does not accumulate on the ceiling. But I really can't find any interior exhaust vents that seem to be made for this application. Lots of exterior roof and wall vents, but nothing made for interior top of cabinets. Really thought I would find info on this since I can't be the first person to have this issue. Thoughts on this approach? Is there a better way/place to exhaust?

#rangehood #hoodvent #kitchenvent

Comments (8)